• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

^^What Boone said^^

The Skins leaving DC and a new franchise starting there would put the final nail in the coffin with the NFL for me. I'd be done, for good.

That's right, pull the old Cleveland Browns reboot. When Art Modell moved the Browns to Baltimore to become the Ravens in 1996, he left behind the team name and history while the NFL pledged to return football to the city with an expansion team.

It has happened before in Washington. The Senators left to become the Minnesota Twins in 1960 and come the next spring the expansion Senators were here.

https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/snider-fans-say-let-redskins-move

Bigger question: is the NFL dying? There's way too much money in and around the game now. We're seeing less trustworthy calls on the field. WE don't know where many of the players' heads are now - but it aint always the game. The product itself - conceding it's a judgment call - is less interesting. Politics is eating it up as well.

I personally believe the NFL is in a slow death spiral. It'll have highs along the way...but it's ultimately trending downward.

Bigger question: is the NFL dying? There's way too much money in and around the game now. We're seeing less trustworthy calls on the field. WE don't know where many of the players' heads are now - but it aint always the game. The product itself - conceding it's a judgment call - is less interesting. Politics is eating it up as well.

I personally believe the NFL is in a slow death spiral. It'll have highs along the way...but it's ultimately trending downward.

I said the same about 3 or 4 years ago, and it just keeps growing. Yes, attendance each week in the stands is dwindling, but viewership on TV was way up this past season.

I think you are correct, the NFL could to be entering a downward spin in the long run, and I don't think the "long" run is that far off. Maybe 10 years from now we will see a product no one wants to watch anymore, for many of the reasons you mention.

But I thought we'd see it tapering off now, and it hasn't yet.

I said the same about 3 or 4 years ago, and it just keeps growing. Yes, attendance each week in the stands is dwindling, but viewership on TV was way up this past season.

I think you are correct, the NFL could to be entering a downward spin in the long run, and I don't think the "long" run is that far off. Maybe 10 years from now we will see a product no one wants to watch anymore, for many of the reasons you mention.

But I thought we'd see it tapering off now, and it hasn't yet.

I'm not so sure gents. About a hundred years ago I read a book called "The Death of An (The?) American Game" by John Underwood, no less an authority on the NFL than the reviled Dr. Z. In it he posited that the trend of bigger, faster, and stronger players would eventually overwhelm the equipment designed to protect them. It hasn't happened yet, and therefore I doubt it will happen period.

I'm not so sure gents. About a hundred years ago I read a book called "The Death of An (The?) American Game" by John Underwood, no less an authority on the NFL than the reviled Dr. Z. In it he posited that the trend of bigger, faster, and stronger players would eventually overwhelm the equipment designed to protect them. It hasn't happened yet, and therefore I doubt it will happen period.

It's not about the equipment. It's about inconsistent officiating that appears to favor a certain team each week, politicization, lack of parody, with overpaid players and rich owners crying over money.

It's not about the equipment. It's about inconsistent officiating that appears to favor a certain team each week, politicization, lack of parody, with overpaid players and rich owners crying over money.

All valid points brother. But several years ago many said the same thing about MLB. These days it seems to be doing better than ever. Jus' sayin.

All valid points brother. But several years ago many said the same thing about MLB. These days it seems to be doing better than ever. Jus' sayin.

The fanbase itself is changing. I know dozens of lifelong fans who are walking away from the game; milleneals aren't into it; all the Saint-Just Warriors? They want football ended (too violent, not metrosexual enough, etc., etc.).

Parts of me hope it dies. The game, in many respects, has become quite boring; it doesn't generate standard-bearers who are worth respecting; it's not a game among men - it's become an entertainment vehicle serving monied interests above all else.

The fanbase itself is changing. I know dozens of lifelong fans who are walking away from the game; milleneals aren't into it; all the Saint-Just Warriors? They want football ended (too violent, not metrosexual enough, etc., etc.).

Parts of me hope it dies. The game, in many respects, has become quite boring; it doesn't generate standard-bearers who are worth respecting; it's not a game among men - it's become an entertainment vehicle serving monied interests above all else.

I can't disagree. I miss the ferocity, the collisions, the take your head off hits that caused me to fall in love with the whole thing in the first place. But when was it NOT an entertainment vehicle serving monied interests? It was and is a business, after all. And businesses exist to make money. My fervent hope is that the trend of rules taking the violence out of the game is cyclical, and will swing back in a more fan friendly direction shortly-because if it continues I will cease to be a fan...at least not nearly as much as I always have been. NFL life is hazardous. So is construction. So are many occupations. The men who make their living playing on Sundays know the risk. They are well compensated for their efforts. Let's not let the CTE findings deflect that.

I can't disagree. I miss the ferocity, the collisions, the take your head off hits that caused me to fall in love with the whole thing in the first place. But when was it NOT an entertainment vehicle serving monied interests? It was and is a business, after all. And businesses exist to make money. My fervent hope is that the trend of rules taking the violence out of the game is cyclical, and will swing back in a more fan friendly direction shortly-because if it continues I will cease to be a fan...at least not nearly as much as I always have been. NFL life is hazardous. So is construction. So are many occupations. The men who make their living playing on Sundays know the risk. They are well compensated for their efforts. Let's not let the CTE findings deflect that.

I'm probably a bit older than you. It wasn't a mega-billion enterprise as it is today. It kept its distance from all the gambling. It's basically a monopoly business with owners sucking big bucks off taxpayers, television keeping the losers afloat and marketing doing the rest. Better way of putting it: it's not about the game anymore. Hades...it's hard to track a team roster from year to year! Teams have no identity!

As for CTE: the players should be protected (better science/equipment, etc.). In the end, they know the risks - matter of choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of football and violence.

Notice to BruDan: Krapperdick shows up here and it will spark an active resistance. I, for one, will look forward to reviewing the IR list each day for his status.

I suspect the sport will ALWAYS be there, it's just our that how we consume/view it will change. It already is.

Attendances are dwindling in a large part due to the rise in affordable large HD TV's. Stadiums need to deliver an experience that the small screen can't, and that's even more pressing for teams that aren't winning.

In ye olde days seeing a game live in the stadium was the only way to see it in color and HD. You'd pay the price and suffer the elements for that alone, but you also had the added bonus of the atmosphere of thousands of like minded fans all doing the same.

These days we can watch the game in HD, in the comfort of our homes. No need to pay for parking or entry. No need to buy overpriced snacks when you can have Pizza delivered. You can have friends over at no extra cost. You don't have to stand in queues to get in or out, or fight the traffic.

I love the Skins, and I loved seeing them in Wembley a couple of years ago. I went because it may be the only time in my life that I get to see them in person. (Unless I can pull off the FedEx trip for my 50th birthday in a couple of years time!). But I wouldn't pay to see them every week. For me it's a treat, not the norm. I could neither afford to go every week nor would I have the inclination to.

Sometimes I get nauseous at the slobber fest some fans show for an injured player who was projected to go top 15 in the draft but might slip to us in the 2nd round.

Marquise Brown is a good receiver, but the fact that he is only 5'10" 170 pounds would be enough for me to say no, couple that with the fact he is recovering from a lis franc fracture surgery makes it even worse!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The three teams that have shown the most interest in wide receiver Antonio Brown to date are the Oakland Raiders, Washington Redskins and Tennessee Titans, per league sources. Thus, the battle for Brown could develop into a battle between Grudens, Jon and Jay.</p>— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1101702612724957184?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 2, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If true, same old Redskins........

Yeah, I'm hoping it's just a smokescreen. Last thing we need is another aged diva playing for $$$.

But, at the end of the day, I'm not sure there's any roster that can succeed here with Norval Gruden as head coach.

Brown is one helluva WR. 6 straight seasons of at least 100 receptions and 1200 yds receiving - that's incredible. But he'll be 31 this year, he is no doubt a disruptive force in the locker room, he'll want a big contract, and we'd have to give up one of our best players or a 1st round pick (or combination of upper round pick and player) to get him.

I just don't see him being a sum total win based on that. If we were going to go after an expensive player in a splash move, I'd much rather it be someone like Josh Rosen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schefter could still be mad at Dan for getting rid of Mike Shanaham

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.