• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Well buddy, they certainly lucked their way into a win with a couple of dumb plays by Fitz today that could have given them a lead, and 2 missed easy Fg's by their kicker.

I actually hate this ****ing post. Like our defense had nothing to do with multiple red zone failures....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back from Tampa. I can tell you one thing with certainty. Our players are clearly bigger and more nasty than the Bucs.

Make of that what you will, but I promise you that the Bucs didn't want the benches to clear.

That may be a DC thing, or trainer thing, but this is the physically largest Skins team that I've seen in 20 years.

They are scrapping their way to wins. I think it's a little unfair to characterize them as a bad team. They have won the games they've won with effort and by outplaying their opponent. They haven't trailed in the games they've won. You guys make it sound like they've lucked into winning any of them.

I don't know my man...they were lucky as hell today.

I actually hate this ****ing post. Like our defense had nothing to do with multiple red zone failures....

I really don't care if you like it or not. It's true! You didn't even watch the whole game...you cannot see in the highlights how lucky we got. Yes, the defense stopped the Bucs on critical series that helped us cement the victory, but they also got torched for MORE THAN 500 yards putting themselves in positions of absolute need to come up with big plays.

Thank goodness we got lucky or we could easily have lost with the defense bailing themselves out several times! If you don't consider 2 missed FG's, and a bone headed play by their QB as pure dumb luck, then you're discounting reality. That is a possible 13 points alone.

Yes, we won today, every one on this site is excited about that as am I. But what I refuse to be told is that my concerns about our TERRIBLE offense is out of line, and that stating our QB sucks is not allowed!

"Alex Smith doesn't know the offense, the injuries should be taken in context"...blah blah blah! Our OL played a very solid game today, patch work that it was. If it weren't for a few poorly timed penalties, that killed a couple of long plays by our RB's it would have been a stellar performance. So tell me, why couldn't Alex Smith come up with more than 178 yards and a TD? "Oh but he didn't throw any INT's." Who cares? He made terrible throws throughout the day that left points out there.

Then I'm told I'd rather see a pretty loss than an ugly win? Well you know what, **** that! Colt McCoy gives us a better chance to win in the long run, than Alex Smith does. But but, "Colt might throw INT's." Well, at least he'll take some chances down field. The incompletion to Davis was akin to an INT.

What I'd like to see is a consistent winner in DC, not get overly excited about a 6-3 start that has shown how VERY LUCKY to be where we are. We're not bad, we're not good, we're just good enough! And if I want to bitch about Alex Smith after an ugly loss, I'm going to scream it from the rooftops...you don't like it, block me from the site!

While we rushed 4 on them all game long...kinda like this week.

And look at a journeyman like Cooper coming in and doing far better than Lavaou has all season long.

Edit: And if we lose this game, you can pin it squarely on Smith's performance. Missing Vernon Davis deep on the sure TD is inexcusable!

Edit 2: We won. The defense did well to create turnovers at the most opportune moments, that OL did a great job giving Smith time all day, and the play calling on offense did better in the 2nd half than they did in the 1st half, but we seriously need to consider whether Colt McCoy gives us a better chance against better teams.

did Cooper spring Peterson for any long runs?

I really don't care if you like it or not. It's true! You didn't even watch the whole game...you cannot see in the highlights how lucky we got. Yes, the defense stopped the Bucs on critical series that helped us cement the victory, but they also got torched for MORE THAN 500 yards putting themselves in positions of absolute need to come up with big plays.

Thank goodness we got lucky or we could easily have lost with the defense bailing themselves out several times! If you don't consider 2 missed FG's, and a bone headed play by their QB as pure dumb luck, then you're discounting reality. That is a possible 13 points alone.

Yes, we won today, every one on this site is excited about that as am I. But what I refuse to be told is that my concerns about our TERRIBLE offense is out of line, and that stating our QB sucks is not allowed!

"Alex Smith doesn't know the offense, the injuries should be taken in context"...blah blah blah! Our OL played a very solid game today, patch work that it was. If it weren't for a few poorly timed penalties, that killed a couple of long plays by our RB's it would have been a stellar performance. So tell me, why couldn't Alex Smith come up with more than 178 yards and a TD? "Oh but he didn't throw any INT's." Who cares? He made terrible throws throughout the day that left points out there.

Then I'm told I'd rather see a pretty loss than an ugly win? Well you know what, **** that! Colt McCoy gives us a better chance to win in the long run, than Alex Smith does. But but, "Colt might throw INT's." Well, at least he'll take some chances down field. The incompletion to Davis was akin to an INT.

What I'd like to see is a consistent winner in DC, not get overly excited about a 6-3 start that has shown how VERY LUCKY to be where we are. We're not bad, we're not good, we're just good enough! And if I want to bitch about Alex Smith after an ugly loss, I'm going to scream it from the rooftops...you don't like it, block me from the site!

colts a backup for a reason. You have been a negative Nancy for quite a long time. Relax everything works out in the end either they make the playoffs or they don't.

colts a backup for a reason. You have been a negative Nancy for quite a long time. Relax everything works out in the end either they make the playoffs or they don't.

I love it when I get called a negative nancy after watching the same thing you all have watched over the past decade...and even longer, as if it's been anything but negative.

We win and Josh Norman is talking about how much better it is playing in opposing team's stadiums. Winning franchises don't have that problem. Negative? Since Dan Snyder took over the team 20 years ago, he is like 20 games below .500. I'm supposed to get excited about this team we're watching? Or any team we've watched over the past 20 years except Gibbs 2?

Just got back from Tampa. I can tell you one thing with certainty. Our players are clearly bigger and more nasty than the Bucs.

Make of that what you will, but I promise you that the Bucs didn't want the benches to clear.

That may be a DC thing, or trainer thing, but this is the physically largest Skins team that I've seen in 20 years.

Interesting, and good to know. About time I say.

Colt McCoy gives us a better chance to win in the long run, than Alex Smith does.

That's ridiculous.

What I'd like to see is a consistent winner in DC, not get overly excited about a 6-3 start that has shown how VERY LUCKY to be where we are. We're not bad, we're not good, we're just good enough!

Can't argue with ya...but given that we ARE 6-3, and in first place in the division, isn't this season thus far a damn sight better than so many recent ones? Let's face it, as Skins fans we are accustomed to futility and abject despair going on THREE DECADES now. Way I see it, a little luck even if short-lived is a welcome change of pace.

They are scrapping their way to wins. I think it's a little unfair to characterize them as a bad team. They have won the games they've won with effort and by outplaying their opponent. They haven't trailed in the games they've won. You guys make it sound like they've lucked into winning any of them.

It's not pretty sure, but I'm actually kinda liking the team this year.

They're scrappy, they always seem to bounce back.

I think we all have to adjust to the fact that this is who this team is at this stage. They're a grind it out team that relies on the run and the Defence (how many times have we all asked for that!!) and do just enough on Offense to win. Yes there have been some horrible losses, but apart from the Colts one I'm not too down on them.

I know the Falcons got whupped by the Browns last night, but I still expect them to be a contender in the playoffs and we did lose 3 O-linemen early in that game and are still missing key skill players. I'm not going to be too beaten up about that loss.
And the Saints loss is looking 'better' in hindsight. I think they may be the class of the NFC and I expect them in the Superbowl.

Wish we had that Colts game back though.

I suspect that playing soft pass defense was part of the plan.

I was talking to my brother (who's a Buccs fan) pre and during the game, and he said the best way to play the Buccs is to let them throw. He said regardless of whether it was Fitz or Winston that played they'll throw interceptions, so you're best to almost bait them into it. I thought our pass D looked really soft at times, and I know it was in some way due to playing Stroman and Johnson, but I do wonder if we were almost 'inviting' Fitz to throw to open up the possibility of interceptions. Maybe I'm reading too much into the game plan. LOL

It was a weird game to watch. I never really felt like the D was in trouble, even when they were driving down field. Fitz was creating magic on occasion, but he also looked a heartbeat from doing something stupid. I started to EXPECT turnovers at one point. Just knew we'd snuff drives not through suffocating D, but through turning the ball over.

It wasn't a pretty game, but I never felt like we were in trouble, even when the score was only 3-0

My two fave stats of the night...

We've never lost when we've scored first..... we've never won when coming from behind.
And I'm sure that they said at one point that we've played Fitz 6 times in his career and each game he was playing for a different team.

Fitz played lights out, other than the turnovers and that decision to run away from the first down.
He looked like the most slippery QB our Dline ever faced. The man was like a rookie form of RG3 out there.

He was like Houdini back there. LOL

There was one play in particular where I was SURE he was sacked and yet scampered free.

It was interesting to see the flip side of the game from my brothers point of view. As a Tampa fan they have no confidence in Fitz or Winston.
Everytime I said to him how Fitz was playing lights out, he'd reply by saying Fitz was a maverick gunslinger. Sometimes he makes good things happen, but more often he would do something stupid.
Buccs fans seem to regard their team and their QB as one that is pre-disposed to throwing games away by doing stupid things.

Fitz forward passing a lateral.
The Interceptions at key moments.
The missed FG's from short.
The throwing challenge flags when they have no time outs.
etc

On the flip side he was quite complimentary about the Skins.

I mentioned how our Offense was poor, and he simply said "but it doesn't make stupid mistakes".
He loved our special teams, "Tress Way is amazing! And who's that really fast guy?" (I think he was talking about Chessum)
He thought we played Fitz perfectly, taking away the Run (Another running back held under 100 yards - Barber got 61) and then basically letting Fitz shoot himself in the foot (9 Ints in 6.5 Games). (Granted if this was a strategy it was a risky double edged sword! - They could have run off 20 or 30 pts. But I wonder if our D-Coaches are aware that our Pass Defence isn't great - basically why we got Clinton-Dix in - and decided to gamble giving Fitz space to create turnovers being as we have Norman, Swearinger and Dix back there to go for picks...).

I think the biggest area of concern I have with this team at the moment is the Defence on 3rd downs... Although I think that it's due in large part to the fact we're not great on Pass Defence, something that I think will change going forwards as Stroman and Johnson get reps, Clinton-Dix gets more comfortable and when we get Dunbar back. But at the moment we seem to be able to push them to 3rd and Longs and then fold on the pass attempts.

From the Ringer website this morning...

"The Buccaneers played one of the strangest games in recent memory Sunday. Ryan Fitzpatrick led all quarterbacks in Week 10 with 406 passing yards. Tampa Bay outgained Washington 501-286. The Bucs averaged 7.5 yards per play, a number that would lead the league by a massive margin over the course of the season.

And Tampa Bay lost 16-3. They got into Washington's red zone five times, resulting in two turnovers and two missed field goals. It was one of the most futile games in league history—they tied the record for most yards in a game without a touchdown, a record set in 1986 by the 49ers (also, incidentally, against Washington). Fitzpatrick became just the seventh player ever to throw for 400 yards without a touchdown. Somehow, Matt Stafford has done this twice."

It seems too many fans are more comfortable complaining about our shortcomings, than enjoying our successes. Too many find it more familiar to be negative, than positive. It's a defense mechanism people use to keep from having there hopes dashed. While it's understandable, I personally don't find it useful.

They'll give an obligatory, one line, positive remark, "I'm glad we won". Followed by paragraphs of negativity, paraded as the only reality. As much as the organization needs to learn how to handle success, and build on it. Fans need to learn how not to look at EVERYTHING as a half empty glass.

I know all the reasoning behind it. We've all heard/read it, ad nauseum. I know we'll hear it some more.

I know if things don't work out we'll get the parade of "I told you so's".

I know if we make the playoffs we'll get the, "We were lucky/division sucked/blahblahblah".

But as I said earlier, embrace the present, and hope for the future.

For in the present, we're 6-3 with a 2 game lead in the division.
For the future, anybody that thinks they know what will happen, can prove their brilliance by betting every penny they have, on that outcome.
Do that, and I may acknowledge your prowess.
Do it not, and you're just another dog howling at the moon, thinking it matters.

Love the post Ax. :)

for my part I sometimes think I annoyingly skew too far to the optimist. Every week I put a small bet on a Redskins win. (It's literally only about $5 per week, but so far this season I am doing rather well on the endeavour. :D)

As crazy as this sounds, I prefer to think positive thoughts towards the team and sometimes wonder if cosmically we as a fan base affect the team with our collective negativity.
Bollocks I know, but it's how I like to think about it.

The realist in me looks at the team now in comparison with the rest of the League.
In reality there are not many teams that anyone would consider 'complete'

There are teams with great offences, teams with great defences, teams with amazing QB's and teams with elite RB's or Receivers. Teams with great head coaches, great owners, etc etc.
Not many have most of those components at the same time, and that's the game that's played. Trying to get as many of those things to line up as you can, and it's not easy.

Years past we've had bits... mostly to be honest just a hot offense and very little else.

Now our Offense has taken a backward step, and there are a hundred reasons why it could and should be better. From unfamiliarity to injuries.
But I look at the team and think... We have a good Defensive line that should only get better over the years. Our secondary has flaws sure, but it has nice pieces. Our Special Teams have been killing it! Our Run game has been solid, and we have Guice on the horizon next year. We have continuity at HC for the first time in a long time.

To me it feels like, yes... we're not quite there, but for the first time in a long time we're starting to align the pieces of the puzzle.

This year I was looking for a winning season and a step forward from the D. Playoffs would have been nice too. I think we're on that target.

Then I want a strong draft and off season.

Then NEXT year with our rookies from this year a year further along with the NFL, I want to see us make a good push for deep into the playoffs. Maybe even a Superbowl in the next few years if we can shore up the weak spots on the roster.

I also think that we as Skins fans tend to think only in context of our own team. As a fanbase we can be negative and down on the team, but as you say... we're 6-3, 2 games ahead in our Div. Best stat we've had to a season since 2008 regardless of who we've played or how we won.

We forget sometimes that we're one of 32 teams in the league and any given week half of them lose. Imagine being the Tampa fan base this morning? Or either of the New Yorks?
We're a team trending up. We have much to be positive about and a shot at the playoffs. And once you're in the playoffs anything can happen.

There are so many teams trending down, like those mentioned above. We're not one of those. Our biggest issues preventing us from rising further are mostly injury and unfamiliarity related, especially on Offence where we have a no name O-line now and all our elite skill players are riding the injury list.
I don't kid myself that we're a member of the elite teams, we're not (we're at least another off season away!). But I feel we're at least trending in that direction, and if the way to keep winning is to grind it out on D, grind the run game and not make mistakes then that's fine with me. All that other stuff can be fixed later.

Mostly agree, Knight. With a few differences.

In all likelihood, fans thinking positive/negative about the team, has zero effect on how the team does.

But how people think, be it positive, or negative, is a choice. That is indisputable. Both sides can sight a plethora of reasons why they chose their mindset. I will argue that positive thinkers, always lean positive, in everything they do. Just as negative thinkers, lean negative, in everything they do. It's a total mindset. You're either on the positive side, or the negative. Negative thinkers often claim that they are not always negative. But they are wrong. They can't see it. It's a hard thing to acknowledge. But being positive allows one to enjoy whatever small amounts of good that come along. Being negative keeps one in a constant state of unhappiness. Unable to truly enjoy the good things in football, and in life.

As for the future of the team, I don't give a rats ass about the upcoming offseason, or next years draft.
I want to win as many games this season as we can.
I hope we can make it to the playoffs.
And I know, if we make it, we have a shot at winning it all. Because I've been watching football for 50+years. I don't care about probabilities or most likelihoods.
I care about possibilities. And anybody who doesn't think it's at least, possible, however unlikely, doesn't know shit from Shinola.

Mostly agree, Knight. With a few differences.

In all likelihood, fans thinking positive/negative about the team, has zero effect on how the team does.

Oh I absolutely agree LOL
It's just my quirk. I'm one of those people who likes to put positive Karma into the world in the hopes I get positive things back. I'm 99.9% sure that it has no bearing on what happens in the world...

But then again I've seen Ghostbusters 2 so I also know the collective weight of negative emotion. I'm fairly sure that FedEx Stadium is directly above a monsterous river of slime... ;D

But how people think, be it positive, or negative, is a choice. That is indisputable. Both sides can sight a plethora of reasons why they chose their mindset. I will argue that positive thinkers, always lean positive, in everything they do. Just as negative thinkers, lean negative, in everything they do. It's a total mindset. You're either on the positive side, or the negative. Negative thinkers often claim that they are not always negative. But they are wrong. They can't see it. It's a hard thing to acknowledge. But being positive allows one to enjoy whatever small amounts of good that come along. Being negative keeps one in a constant state of unhappiness. Unable to truly enjoy the good things in football, and in life.

Again I agree. I do tend to skew positive in all aspects of life.
I'm one of those 'everything will work out' kinda people. :D

Oh I absolutely agree LOL
It's just my quirk. I'm one of those people who likes to put positive Karma into the world in the hopes I get positive things back. I'm 99.9% sure that it has no bearing on what happens in the world...
Yeah, I'm the same way. Just forgot to add a "but what can it hurt to do so" to my post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.