• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I like the way Gruden is handling the press. He's doing a great job of avoiding any traps.

I don't like the quotes I'm reading, or at least what I'm reading between the lines.

But the Redskins needed Griffin to show more this summer, just to prove he was developing in the pocket at the right pace. This really isn’t about Cousins, who has had good series and bad; it’s about Griffin and his development.

--John Keim

Gruden: “It’s gonna be very necessary for us to play great defense early on in the season, most likely.”

--Jay Gruden

No doubt Robert was best quarterback in the offseason program. People still felt that way after camp. But camp is over. 3 has not played well. I know apologists don't like to read that, but even his supporters in the organization acknowledge it's not good now.

--Jason Reid

Last edited:
Gruden sounded anything but worried about Griffin after the game. He said they just a bad night overall. I guarantee you no one in the Redskins organization has told Keim 'Griffin needed to show more this summer' or anything like that. Everyone knows it will take time for Griffin to transition to more of a pocket passing role.

Question: does he have the sort of athleticism where he can maneuver his body to catch less than skillfully thrown passes? is he a great technician but not a great/above average athlete?

My understanding is that the book on Grant was/is exactly that, a great technician without outstanding speed, hard to say on the athleticism.
He may be able to refine his technique to the point where uber athleticism is not required. He may also be able to work on strength/conditioning enough to become more of a physical presence.

I'm thinking he's a Reed Doughty type with perhaps a bit more upside.

I have all the faith in the world that Gruden isn't overly concerned. I'm in the tank for him, but thoroughly believe that he can coach this team into the playoffs with even decent QB play from either guy. We have too many weapons, and the D and ST look improved.

I believe that Keim comment was just his own opinion. Not that anyone in the organization told him anything.

I have yet to see the game but it records shortly...that being said I saw where Griffin was 5-8 for less than 30 yards....certainly nothing stellar there but aren't some of you going all "drama queen" about it? I saw a few plays on Espn where Griffin got sacked once from the right but the left and center of the line weren't doing a stellar job as well. I think the play got called back for holding... I saw a nice pass to Reed that got called back...it is preseason aren't we expecting to see this kind of stuff? I'm not making excuse just stating the obvious...We know our Oline was horrible last season when it came to pass protection...could it be at least adequate this season? We know Griffin isn't a pocket passer but one in training... 8 passes don't make a night...

I have yet to see the game but it records shortly...that being said I saw where Griffin was 5-8 for less than 30 yards....certainly nothing stellar there but aren't some of you going all "drama queen" about it? I saw a few plays on Espn where Griffin got sacked once from the right but the left and center of the line weren't doing a stellar job as well. I think the play got called back for holding... I saw a nice pass to Reed that got called back...it is preseason aren't we expecting to see this kind of stuff? I'm not making excuse just stating the obvious...We know our Oline was horrible last season when it came to pass protection...could it be at least adequate this season? We know Griffin isn't a pocket passer but one in training... 8 passes don't make a night...

we're not going drama queen and seeing one play and highlighting it as a countering argument is neither statistically convincing nor solid argument. btw...ignoring the facts that don't support your point-of-view isn't convincing either.

we have a problem at QB right now.

I'll just put it this way...

We haven't had a franchise QB since #9 hung his cleats up.

Looks like the search continues. That doesn't mean that Griffin can't change that but.....

The Search continues....

Right now, Griff looks like a deer in the headlights.

It might be that he's caught between what everyone, including himself, wants him to be and what he's been all of his career as a QB.

His immediate upside is probably somewhere in the middle, once he gets confidence it should be alright, he can further develop and hopefully survive to become that cagey vet most of us are looking for.

Gruden sounded anything but worried about Griffin after the game. He said they just a bad night overall. I guarantee you no one in the Redskins organization has told Keim 'Griffin needed to show more this summer' or anything like that. Everyone knows it will take time for Griffin to transition to more of a pocket passing role.

no surprise....but I'm not down with this. Gruden isn't going to tip his hand when it comes to concerns in a post game interview. he's gonna keep it in-house and say all the right things so as not to embarrass any player publicly.

it's apparently going to take longer than some hoped for the offense to be absorbed and executed efficiently. the first team O hasn't scored much and has continued a previous pattern of so so play in the red zone. the QB is not executing and the O-line is getting outplayed physically too often. all my opinion, of course, but it's what I have seen thus far.

no disrespect to McD (I like your optimism...it's a wonderful counterweight to the negative Nancy's like me!)...but having talent doesn't cut it if all parts of the game don't come together into a team that can execute. long-run...with the exception of QB and o-line play...I think your vision/optimism is well placed. at the end of the day...it all boils down to execution. and that offense isn't firing on all cylinders. heck...not even on half cylinders!

Hey NFLN... if you're going to replay the game the next day please don't flash the final score on the screen in the first 2 minutes of the game.

RG3 and out not looking so hot, Kurt looking better against the scrubs. Media trying to ignite a qb controversy because that would be more entertaining than most of these games. OL looks like crap. All I got.

Oh wait Merriweather with 2 headshots means Rambo will be playing soon.

Last edited:
I have a few thoughts on RG3.

Yeah he looked bad last night, but it was only a preseason game. This is the make it year for him, we have great WR's, outstanding running backs, and an improved offensive line, and coaches who will not run him into the dirt. I think he will relax and come into his own during the regular season. There is no QB controversy, Cousins is our back up period. He looks good playing against 2nd stringers, how many decent quarterbacks wouldn't?

You know what bugs me?

For the last 20 years, every preseason, it's "well, it's just preseason", "these games don't count,no big deal" etc.

We don't hear that when it comes to say.. Peyton,Tom, Drew,Rivers..etc. because they never give their fanbase reason to.

Redskins Qbs on the other hand?

Whew Boy..........

It sounds like Jason Hatcher made a positive impact in limited time. Maybe he wasn't just a one (contract) year wonder last season?

You know what bugs me?

For the last 20 years, every preseason, it's "well, it's just preseason", "these games don't count,no big deal" etc.

We don't hear that when it comes to say.. Peyton,Tom, Drew,Rivers..etc. because they never give their fanbase reason to.

Redskins Qbs on the other hand?

Whew Boy..........

It goes both ways. Remember all the preseasons where we dominated, played lights-out football, and went 3-1 or 4-0, and then went on to a dismal regular season. If we shouldn't put much stock in a great preseason, then we sure shouldn't put much stock in the poor one

Here's what I saw.......

I saw a preseason game in which our first team offense played poorly coming off of two other preseason games in which it played moderately well. No touchdowns yet, but we've seen them move the ball so we know it's possible. With a full playbook and a real game on the line, I have a feeling that the first team offense will perform better. I saw a preseason LOSS for the first time in what feels like a long, long time. I have no issue with this. Keep em hungry. I saw a young and talented quarterback throw only 8 attempts and who looked a little like a man who was thinking too hard to do the right thing. When, in fact, he needs to begin to let himself just react and DO the right thing. I saw a QB with 3 options - keep the ball alive, throw it away or run out of bounds and live to fight another day. Following last week's post game outcries, I saw a QB choose option C when option B (throw it away) would have been more productive. I saw a QB who, when a game actually means something, will choose option A more often than not and will be better at knowing how to make that option more survivable in time. Open up the playbook and give the QB to learn to play with more natural abandon within the new system and I believe things will turn around. We keep forgetting the age-old adage...that offense comes together more slowly than defense during the preseason. Factor in a new coach, a new system and an extremely talented and SMART quarterback who's trying trying to modify his manner of play and you will naturally get some fits and starts. It's just the way it goes.

I saw a backup QB throw 20 passes to the starter's 8, and who - against second team players - looked to be just a little more comfortable in this particular system. I also saw a backup QB miss some make-able plays - also against second team players - that allows me very easily to NOT buy into a QB controversy.

I saw a hard hitting DB get away with a helmet to helmet hit....and then get called for a shoulder to shoulder hit. Reputation is everything, pal. Clean it up or pack it up. I saw some talent at the corner spot....and, while I did see some missed tackles along the way I generally saw a team that wrapped people up and ran to the ball from all points. I saw a hungry and hustling team on defense.

I saw a defensive line that, if it can stay healthy, should consistently put some serious pressure on offenses around the league. "Coverage sack" is a term that was overused and inappropriate last night in the first quarter. To me, I saw a couple sacks and a lotta pressure. Period. And that made me smile.

I saw one punter with a huge leg....and another that played consistently. I saw a couple kickers who didn't do anything to separate...although they are severely lacking in opportunities.

I saw some good....I saw some bad......I saw some things that excited me....I saw some things that infuriated me. I saw a preseason game.

It goes both ways. Remember all the preseasons where we dominated, played lights-out football, and went 3-1 or 4-0, and then went on to a dismal regular season. If we shouldn't put much stock in a great preseason, then we sure shouldn't put much stock in the poor one

Not talking about game outcomes.

I wouldn't really care if we went win-less in preseason.

But when your QB looks bad....

I had to squint real hard just to make sure it was Griffin and not Campbell under center....

Oh wait Merriweather with 2 headshots means Rambo will be playing soon.

Gruden said that any headshots in practice would cause him to be suspended from practice.
So I gotta wonder if it goes beyond practice and into a preseason game, how much more will he take action ?

On the other side, does the league deal with those hits just as heavy handed in the preseason as the regular, as far as suspensions go ?
Almost seems like a dumb question, and the answer would be yes, but I havn't heard anyone mention suspension since the hit(s)

Not talking about game outcomes.

I wouldn't really care if we went win-less in preseason.

But when your QB looks bad....

I had to squint real hard just to make sure it was Griffin and not Campbell under center....

Last year, everyone attributed RG3's horrible season to not being able to get any reps in preseason.

Well then, based on that, how about we actually give him a FULL preseason to get those reps, before we pass judgment on him.

If he continues this type of play during the regular season on a consistent basis, then I am actually open to the idea of a benching.

But for the love of Cocoa Puffs, let's at least give him the preseason that we all hungered for him to have the benefit of, last year !

Gruden said that any headshots in practice would cause him to be suspended from practice.
So I gotta wonder if it goes beyond practice and into a preseason game, how much more will he take action ?

On the other side, does the league deal with those hits just as heavy handed in the preseason as the regular, as far as suspensions go ?
Almost seems like a dumb question, and the answer would be yes, but I havn't heard anyone mention suspension since the hit(s)
I've got to assume the league is going to have something to say about his two headshots that knocked out two players within 5 min. He's take too many himself not to get it by now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.