• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Man I hope The Bruce isn't trying any funny business with one of our good o-linemen.

".....
John Keim
ESPN Staff Writer
PHOENIX -- Redskins team president Bruce Allen said contract talks with right guard Brandon Scherff are "on-going" as the team seeks to prevent him from hitting free agency next offseason. However, when asked about defensive end Matt Ioannidis, whose contract also expires after this season, Allen said there's "nothing to say right now." As of now, Scherff is playing under the option year of his contract with a $12.5 million cap hit. He's coming off a torn pectoral injury, but is seen as a crucial part to the future. Ioannidis blossomed over the past year, but his situation will be interesting to watch. The Redskins have four other young defensive linemen, including first-rounders Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne. If the other young linemen -- Tim Settle and Caleb Brantley -- play well this year, would the Redskins decide Ioannidis is a luxury? But, as of now, there's no doubt the defense is much better with him on the field....."

Another possibility is that his agent is playing hardball and they are asking for crazy money. Will be interesting to see what happens...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are everyone's thoughts on the new replay rule? I personally think this is a disaster waiting to happen. I know they are trying to make sure an obvious missed call is not missed, but I fear we are going to have much less obvious calls being made via replay late in games that would have never been called before. And those will alter games. Pass interference is such a subjective call as well, just like holding, or even our favorite roughing the passer. I've always believed that instant replay should be used on definitive rules that have markers on the field where replay make help you see what you can't see live. i.e. in/out of bounds, over the goal/yard line, too many players on the field, heck even offsides since there is a defined line. We all see how when they changed the catch rule so that the ball could hit the ground and still be a catch, that it just confuses things even more. Replay even made that rule worse in my opinion because replay overturned common sense in so many occasions. The pass interference rule is even more convoluted than the catch rule. I see this being a disaster.

I've heard arguments that it will only be used for the obvious missed calls. But replay in general is supposed to be used only for that. Yet you have coaches challenging to gain 3 yards that are meaningless just to prove they are right and the refs missed a call. Just wait until 3rd down and 15 and the defenses makes a good play to knock down a pass, but then a coach throws his flag and we wait 2 minutes and find out the defenders arm brushed the receivers arm on the way to knocking down the pass, so since he brushed the receiver first, it's pass interference.

What are everyone's thoughts on the new replay rule? I personally think this is a disaster waiting to happen. I know they are trying to make sure an obvious missed call is not missed, but I fear we are going to have much less obvious calls being made via replay late in games that would have never been called before. And those will alter games. Pass interference is such a subjective call as well, just like holding, or even our favorite roughing the passer. I've always believed that instant replay should be used on definitive rules that have markers on the field where replay make help you see what you can't see live. i.e. in/out of bounds, over the goal/yard line, too many players on the field, heck even offsides since there is a defined line. We all see how when they changed the catch rule so that the ball could hit the ground and still be a catch, that it just confuses things even more. Replay even made that rule worse in my opinion because replay overturned common sense in so many occasions. The pass interference rule is even more convoluted than the catch rule. I see this being a disaster.

I've heard arguments that it will only be used for the obvious missed calls. But replay in general is supposed to be used only for that. Yet you have coaches challenging to gain 3 yards that are meaningless just to prove they are right and the refs missed a call. Just wait until 3rd down and 15 and the defenses makes a good play to knock down a pass, but then a coach throws his flag and we wait 2 minutes and find out the defenders arm brushed the receivers arm on the way to knocking down the pass, so since he brushed the receiver first, it's pass interference.

All depends on how they implement it. Contact penalties should never be reviewed in slow motion, as that biases the interpretation. Positioning, possession...those things can be seen in slow motion, as you are looking for an event to happen prior to another event. With penalties though, where you are trying to establish intent and technique? Needs to be done full speed from multiple angles, but definitely not slowed down.

When reading intent, everything looks malicious in slow motion. I'm fine with them allowing a replay of a situation that has such a huge impact on the game though, as those sort of plays can literally swing the victory to the other side when they occur.

Another possibility is that his agent is playing hardball and they are asking for crazy money. Will be interesting to see what happens...

I strongly dislike agents like Rosenhaus (sp), greedy bastards wanting beyond fair price many times.

We go and sign a ballsy old vet for 2 years...meanwhile, the Eagles give up a 6th, possibly a 5th round pick for one of the better RB's in the league who is young.

Jordan Howard to the Eagles...

If Oconnell or whoever is supposed to take over playcalling from Jay our run game has potential. AP is a much better than average #2 , & Guice will be running with a gigantic chip on his shoulder to go with fresh legs.

Highly likely it was a cyst or some other benign tumor on his scalp (vs a brain tumor) from the way they describe it. I'm guessing much ado about nothing - or at least nothing Dr. Pimple Popper couldn't handle :)

Yeah I get they can't get too far into details with hippapotomus laws and all. That was the first I'd heard of it tho.

Let's hope Bruce & Doug are weighing it anyway with the upcoming draft. Same guys who said we were fine with Lava last season.

Edit: Those shows are gross as hell!

Yeah I get they can't get too far into details with hippapotomus laws and all. That was the first I'd heard of it tho.

Let's hope Bruce & Doug are weighing it anyway with the upcoming draft. Same guys who said we were fine with Lava last season.

Edit: Those shows are gross as hell!

What caught my attention was that they never said 'brain'... may be reading too much into it, but I would expect them to refer to that if it had really been something that wasn't superficial (ie...outside the skull). Anyway - glad he is alright and thanks for the link (I hadn't heard this). Dr. Lee is a hottie btw...

Googling in 3..2..

Edit: Just like Ed McMahon used to say, "you are correct sir"

Vinny would have just said Trent needed to get over it...

On Saturday, I was watching some of the football life episodes on the NFL Network. They had the Marty Schottenheimer episode on. I was curious to see how they covered his time with the Redskins. I thought they did a fair job of showing why it didn't work, why he was and wasn't liked, what he did well to turn the team around, and why he left.

But what stood out to me as the one thing he did that I don't know if any other coach has done since, is that he was a teacher. It showed him at his various stops and how he taught and explained technique. How if you are supposed to line up at 9 yds from the receiver and you line up at 9 1/2, it could mean the difference between a stop on 3rd down or a successful conversion for a 1st down. And just thinking about how the Redskins have played the past 20 years and those are the mistakes that have killed the team. We've wondered about accountability and why players aren't held accountable, but I'm wondering how much teaching is actually going on. How much are these coaches teaching technique and why you do this and do that. My impression of the past coaches and current coaches is that they focus more on scheme and strategy and less on technique and discipline.

I'm not going to rehash the Schottenheimer era. It is what it is and it was over a long long time ago. And no one is going back in history to change things. But his attention to detail, the teaching he did, the passion he had, those things are what is missing from this team. Perhaps his style won't work in todays game. He was fired after going 14-2 in San Diego, so perhaps his style worked in a previous era of football. But there are certainly characteristics he had that have been missing for a long time.

...so perhaps his style worked in a previous era of football. But there are certainly characteristics he had that have been missing for a long time.

This struck me since I think about that "era" then look at what Belichek has done in New England with a very similar style...tough nosed teacher who prepares his team better than most.

I will rehash it...it was the single biggest mistake Snyder has made. Kt was nice to have Gibbs II, but I would have rather Marty built a dynasty here...which I think he could have done.

On Saturday, I was watching some of the football life episodes on the NFL Network. They had the Marty Schottenheimer episode on. I was curious to see how they covered his time with the Redskins. I thought they did a fair job of showing why it didn't work, why he was and wasn't liked, what he did well to turn the team around, and why he left.

But what stood out to me as the one thing he did that I don't know if any other coach has done since, is that he was a teacher. It showed him at his various stops and how he taught and explained technique. How if you are supposed to line up at 9 yds from the receiver and you line up at 9 1/2, it could mean the difference between a stop on 3rd down or a successful conversion for a 1st down. And just thinking about how the Redskins have played the past 20 years and those are the mistakes that have killed the team. We've wondered about accountability and why players aren't held accountable, but I'm wondering how much teaching is actually going on. How much are these coaches teaching technique and why you do this and do that. My impression of the past coaches and current coaches is that they focus more on scheme and strategy and less on technique and discipline.

I'm not going to rehash the Schottenheimer era. It is what it is and it was over a long long time ago. And no one is going back in history to change things. But his attention to detail, the teaching he did, the passion he had, those things are what is missing from this team. Perhaps his style won't work in todays game. He was fired after going 14-2 in San Diego, so perhaps his style worked in a previous era of football. But there are certainly characteristics he had that have been missing for a long time.

Excellent stuff brother. I too did not know about Marty's teaching side. I had him pegged as a player turned coach who ran a tight ship and knew how to win...at least in the regular season. A disciplinarian but also kind of a players' coach, if such a thing is possible. The fundamentals he taught his players makes a lot of sense when you consider how, almost without exception, they performed so soundly, and were so consistent.

Pretty awesome gesture from Paul Richardson, buying his mom a car.

Last edited:
We drafted a very solid young man.

Thanks Mom - by Dwayne Haskins

I remember the first time my mom disciplined me.

Like, really disciplined me.

I don't remember how old I was. I just remember I was young and it was back in the day when Diddy had the two cuts in his eyebrow. He was hot back then. So I went into the bathroom and I cut my eyebrows up, thinking I was hot, too. I walked downstairs, strutting, thinking I look good … but playing it cool, like nothing had happened.

I didn't even make it off the stairs before my mom snapped her head around and was like, “What'd you do to your face.”

It wasn't even a question, you know? It was like one of those things where … we both knew the answer. And she said it with that tone — that mom tone that let you know that something was about to go down.

I don't think I've ever been so scared in my LIFE.

I was like, “Uhhhh … nothing?”

And I'm telling you, she came after me. I booked it back up the stairs, and she was right on me like, “Come here! Why would you do that!?”

But she couldn't catch me! I kept ducking her. I was so scared.

Then she finally cornered me in my bedroom, and it was over.

I got an education that day. But it was mostly from the conversation we had. Because my mom didn't just yell and scream at me. She talked to me. She let me know that it wasn't just about the two cuts. It was about how I presented myself. About not trying so hard to be like other people. About talking to her and my dad about things, and making educated decisions.

And she let me know that if I didn't, it would be my be-hind.

She was always teaching me. When I was in elementary school, we had this thing in my class called the Mad Minute, where we had to solve 16 multiplication and division problems in 60 seconds. I was really into math, I just wasn't very good at it. So the first couple of times I did the Mad Minute, I only got like eight or 10 right. When I came home and told my mom, she wasn't having it. She was like, “Oh, this is not good enough. You can do better than this!”

So she started quizzing me left and right. She'd scare me with it sometimes. I'd be at home on a Saturday just chilling, having lunch, and she'd come out the woodwork like, “What's five times four?” Or I'd be in the shower before school and I'd hear from outside the door, “What's nine divided by three!”

She even printed out worksheets so I could do them at home.

She never stopped.

And within like two weeks, I was doing the Mad Minute in 30 seconds. I had so much time left over that I was turning the paper over and writing extra multiplication problems on the back.

All credit to Mom for that.

I also learned a lot just by watching her. Just seeing how she conducted herself. How she treated other people. The sacrifices she made.

I remember when we moved from New Jersey to Maryland. I was 15, and we were moving for a lot of different reasons, but one was so that I could have better opportunities on the football field and in the classroom. So it was a big sacrifice for my parents.

But when it came time to actually move, it was a difficult transition. My mom had gotten a job at an accounting firm down in Virginia, near the Maryland border where we were going to live. She moved down first, while my sister, Tamia, and I stayed with my dad in New Jersey to finish the semester at school. So for like two months, my mom was by herself down in Virginia while the rest of us were back home in Jersey.

Look, I love my dad. But that man can not cook. We were living off Egg Beaters. Steak-umms. Bubba Burgers. Ramen noodles.
I always appreciated my mom. But in those two months without her — without that motherly presence in our house — I truly realized that she was the glue holding everything together. Because without her, it was crazy. I had to learn how to do my own laundry. How to fold my own clothes and put them away. I had to do my own dishes. I know that's all basic stuff, nothing crazy. It's just that … I had never realized the little things that she did for us on a daily basis, and how she was really working three jobs at all times — she was a full-time CPA, a full-time mom and a full-time wife.

I honestly don't know how she did it.

Without her there, my dad had to cook every night, and … look, I love my dad. But that man can not cook. (I'm sorry, Dad. I'm just being real!) We were living off Egg Beaters. Steak-umms. Bubba Burgers. Ramen noodles.

Don't get me wrong. My dad did a great job. He handled his business. He took care of us.

But we definitely felt the void of my mom not being there.

And I know it was tough on her to be away from us. I talked to her every day on the phone and she would drive back up on the weekends and see us. But being away from us was a huge sacrifice for her.

I learned a lot from that experience, just watching her act selflessly and do what she had to do for our family. That level of sacrifice is something that still sticks with me.

So with Mother's Day coming up, I just wanted to say….

Thank you, Mom.

Thank you for always teaching me, guiding me and sacrificing for me, Tamia, and our entire family. Thank you for being the backbone. For holding everything together.

Thank you for being the backbone. For holding everything together.
Thank you for letting me make my own decisions.

Like when I had committed to play at Maryland out of high school, and then the coaching staff got fired, so I didn't know what to do. We went and met with the new coaches, and even though they were great, I wasn't sure if it was the right fit for me anymore. I was stressing. I had a big decision to make. I was also looking at Florida State, Notre Dame, Penn State and, of course, Ohio State. It was a really tough choice.

I asked you what I should do.

And instead of telling me what to do, you asked about what I wanted. We talked about the pros and cons of each school. We talked about Ohio State, and how when I was younger and I went to their football camps, I had always said that one day I wanted to be a Buckeye.

You told me that if that's what I wanted, then that's what I should do. You told me to believe in myself — to bet on myself — and to follow my heart and go to my dream school.

And it was the best decision I have ever made.

Thank you. Without you, I wouldn't have been a Buckeye. I wouldn't be a Washington Redskin. I wouldn't be the man I am today. Without you guiding me, teaching me, holding me accountable, loving me, and supporting me, I don't know where I would be. I'm a mama's boy, through and through.

You always say that, as a parent, you know you're doing a good job when your kids do better than you.

Thank you for setting that bar so high.

Happy Mother's Day.

Does it qualify me as a peasant if I enjoy all the food items mentioned? Bubba Burgers are on f'n point regarding pre-made patty's.

I think it's fairly apparent we've upgraded the team during the last 3 drafts, barring injuries of course. I'm willing to give Jay 1 more season as HC but if he cannot form a coherent season out of our current crop it's time for the gallows imho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.