• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

One of the many problems with Gruden. Every year he ignores the RB situation. Every year he has a stable of scrubs and talks about how great they are in camp and how excited he is to see them play then WHAM, the regular season comes along and they all vanish one way or another.

Great to see you posting again brother! On the one hand, I get your criticism that we are way too slow to move on from marginal or oft-injured players (Bulldog has also made this point repeatedly). I agree. But we used major draft capital in picking up Guice in the draft this year. We don't yet know if he's the guy we hope he is (or if he can be, given the ACL tear this year). But I don't think you can say Gruden is ignoring the RB spot.

The Redskins during his tenure have used a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounder on the RB spot. The problem hasn't been a lack of trying to solidify that spot, it's been in the selection. That's on Scot McCloughan, not Gruden. McCloughan drafted Matt Jones (hyping him as the next Marshawn Lynch) and we drafted Samaje Perine on his recommendation/scouting report on the way out. I'll also defend the coaching staff on giving Robert Kelley a chance. Kelley had a pretty good first season, with 700+ yds, 4.2 yds per rush splitting carries with Matt Jones and CT.

It remains to be seen if we have *fixed* our RB issues for the near future with AP and Guice. But it's not for a lack of trying.

The question of the day... if both Scherff and Lauvao are gone for the year (and I think that's a strong possibility) - what in God's name do we do? Trade deadline is, of course, long gone - because you know, #Redskins ... we couldn't have had these injuries the week BEFORE the deadline, could we?

I just don't know what our options are. We are in deep trouble on the OL again.

If we lose those two for the year, and Gruden finds some way to get this team to the playoffs - he should be coach of the year.

Gruden would need to altar his vaunted system to work with what we have available. Which he won't do.

If both Lauvoa and Scherff are gone, we have to be careful and not rush Williams back.

I read that we had reached the bottom of our barrel on the O-Line.

If there had been one more injury there they were going to roll out Ioannidis!

Cup half full.... maybe it'll be good to get some reps on Geron Christian

Do we have any more OLine on the Practice Squad?

I wasn't at the game today...but friends of mine were. They conveyed conversations in the club level that I was thinking this afternoon.

Sorry for piling on folks...but IMO: this franchise never returns to a SB until Dan Synder exits stage left and Bruce "I love mediocrity" Allen follows. Btw....heard today that Snyder's home is up for sale. Portent of things to come?

As for Gruden, I just don't see him as a winning HC. He got the Skins turned around, sorta, but he's got...well...Cincinnati written all over him.

The really sad part? Jay is the winningest coach under Snyder. Let that sink in. Thats how far Danny Boy has sunk the franchise. If it wasn't for Gruden the team would be a lot worse.

The Redskins are going to have to count on Nsekhe and Christian and then go out and find practice squad or street free agents to play in the interior.

In the draft I think we made a major mistake in drafting a long shot in Troy Apke in Round 4 based on his speed alone and not using that pick to shore up depth on the OL or taking a wide receiver we can develop.

Apke has contributed little as a player who only played college safety for one year. Almost all of the draft-niks liked our picks overall except that one. That one everyone agreed upon was a big reach.

Still, the ultimate culprit here is Bruce Allen. He is tight-fisted in free agency and refuses to allow the team to go after players that could help us in the interior OL, at wide receiver, or cornerback because he doesn't want to have to bid for these players services.

He wants to acquire everyone on the cheap (well, everyone except Alex Smith that is).

It might have been a good idea to run the trade for Smith by Gruden before making it.

It sure looks to me that Smith is lost in Gruden's system.

And why Gruden hasn't modified what we are doing to suit Smith more is another mystery.

The Redskins are going to have to count on Nsekhe and Christian and then go out and find practice squad or street free agents to play in the interior.

In the draft I think we made a major mistake in drafting a long shot in Troy Apke in Round 4 based on his speed alone and not using that pick to shore up depth on the OL or taking a wide receiver we can develop.

Apke has contributed little as a player who only played college safety for one year. Almost all of the draft-niks liked our picks overall except that one. That one everyone agreed upon was a big reach.

Still, the ultimate culprit here is Bruce Allen. He is tight-fisted in free agency and refuses to allow the team to go after players that could help us in the interior OL, at wide receiver, or cornerback because he doesn't want to have to bid for these players services.

He wants to acquire everyone on the cheap (well, everyone except Alex Smith that is).

It might have been a good idea to run the trade for Smith by Gruden before making it.

It sure looks to me that Smith is lost in Gruden's system.

And why Gruden hasn't modified what we are doing to suit Smith more is another mystery.

Smith had his best game as a Redskin yesterday - and they finally took advantage (at least a little bit) of his mobility. So maybe Gruden is adjusting the offense a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were our o-linemen getting cut blocked and dirty hits, or was it nature of the game injuries?

So Scherff is done for the year, apparently.

This is why we cant have nice things.

Scherff, Lauvao, AND Paul Richardson.

The Redskins signed the following free agents today:

G Luke Bowanko
G Jonathan Cooper
T Austin Howard

Bowanko is a former Wahoo, 6th round draft pick for the Jags w/1 start since his rookie year in 2014. Big boy at 6'6" and 300+ lbs. Has played center most of his life and recently LG.

Cooper is a former Cowboy (also spent time in Arizona and Cleveland, 7th round pick in 2013. Been on the active roster more than Bowanko. He's 6'2" 308 lbs.

Austin Howard is a big boy 6'7" 330 lbs whose started a lot of games for 4 different teams, including starting every game for the Ravens in 2017. He might be able to help us out here.

I doubt we're done.

Last edited:
What's really disturbing is the front office watched the Oline go down in a heap last year and never really made a serious effort to shore the depth up for this year.

Lavaou never makes it through a season, yet they thought it was fine to run with him at LG this year with really nothing of note behind him.

They passed on Orlando Brown Jr because he didn't perform well in a t-shirt and shorts at the Combine and went with Christian who cemented the fact that he doesn't belong on an NFL field yesterday.

Players change,coaches change but the Washington Redskins never change.

Another season down the shitter.

Christian is a rookie with one game of live film on him. I heard the same shit about Morgan Moses his first year or two - not to equate the two. But the point is, we don't know what we'll eventually have there. They have to have backups across the entire roster. Lauvao was a big gamble - and it didn't pay off. But you aren't 'prone' to an ACL. Could've happened to whoever else we had in there in his stead. Was Scherff a crappy draft pick because he's now 'injury prone'?

We get 53 spots - 53. And a handful of PS spots. That's it.

We could've loaded up on OL backups and then seen massive injuries at other positions. Are you trying to tell me we wouldn't be gutting the Skins for not being prepared if that had happened?

It's very frustrating. But really - blaming the FO and coaches for ridiculously bad luck on the injury front - I think it's misplaced. There are so many other legitimate things to criticise them for :)

Yes, you are not prone to ACL tears but if you consistently fail to get through seasons you are injury prone. It's always something with Lavaou and everybody knew that.

It was foolish not to prepare for the eventual Lavaou injury that always comes.

Boone, you,me...hell everybody on this board, preaches draft the lines. I think if I remember correctly, you wanted them to draft a couple every year until you built two dominant lines.

If that doesn't happen next April, Danny should fold the franchise and sell ice cream.

I have no problem with the criticism related to Lauvao. But we could've dumped him, spent the #1 pick on his replacement, and had THAT guy blow out his ACL. Look at the other guys we've lost to IR just this year alone. And we've still won 5 of the first 8 games. The front office and coaches deserve criticism for a lot of things. But the injuries are *mostly* just awful luck. I'm not gonna be convinced otherwise but you are welcome to your opinion.

I bet a $1 our offense gets better with the FNG's. Now Jay's forced to simplify things and not get cute with the playcalling.

I have no problem with the criticism related to Lauvao. But we could've dumped him, spent the #1 pick on his replacement, and had THAT guy blow out his ACL. Look at the other guys we've lost to IR just this year alone. And we've still won 5 of the first 8 games. The front office and coaches deserve criticism for a lot of things. But the injuries are *mostly* just awful luck. I'm not gonna be convinced otherwise but you are welcome to your opinion.

Or we could have signed one of the 3 guards out there who were better and younger than him, instead of re-signing him.

Bulldog was correct, Troy Apke was a wasted 4th round pick, epsecially when he was slated to go in the 5th or 6th round...we spent a 4th that could have gone toward a young OG/C. Just because we took Christian in the 3rd, didn't mean we couldn't taken an OG/C in the 4th. It was a position of need for depth, desperate need.

I was kind of thinking the same thing last night.

How many times do we see an injury ravaged team play beyond it's potential... Or is that just against the Redskins...
Case in point the Falcons who were supposed to be beat up and easy pickings for our D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.