• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Well, do you see Belichick or the guy in Philly Roseman trade three #1 picks for ANY player? :laugh:

With the cap you can't make deals like that because the league values young and cheap.

If you can stock your roster with 10-12 core players and fill in around them with younger, hungry guys that have solid ability but are not stars you can win a championship.

The ironic thing is that the New England Patriots have done just that over the past 15 years.

Meanwhile, the Redskins are still in the mode of trying to make big splashy one-time moves to stem the tide and make everything turn out OK.

Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen have been watching too many Disney movies.

Well, do you see Belichick or the guy in Philly Roseman trade three #1 picks for ANY player? :laugh:

With the cap you can't make deals like that because the league values young and cheap.

If you can stock your roster with 10-12 core players and fill in around them with younger, hungry guys that have solid ability but are not stars you can win a championship.

The ironic thing is that the New England Patriots have done just that over the past 15 years.

Meanwhile, the Redskins are still in the mode of trying to make big splashy one-time moves to stem the tide and make everything turn out OK.

Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen have been watching too many Disney movies.

Seen a stat the other day that stated that there are only 14 players on the Pats roster that were apart of the SuperBowl win vs Seattle just three years ago.

As far as keeping core players, I considered Fuller as one of them. But he was expendable according to our "I can't do this job" Gm in Bruce Allen.

Cooley thought in his breakdowns that Norman had an off-year and Fuller was actually the team's best cornerback.

He's 24 and on a cheap rookie deal for a #3 pick.

Now, Reid gets to solidify his secondary AND go into the draft and take a quality DL or OL in Round 3, courtesy of our pick.

The Redskins to Andy Reid are like the Washington Generals to the Harlem Globetrotters.

A foil, a joke.

So we lost our 2 best targets last year and many (myself included) decried the loss. It was especially galling considering the cast of clowns brought in to replace them. The follow up though shows that yes once again the blind squirrel can find the nut and maybe the Redskins are actually starting to learn when to cut someone loose. In hindsight they got it right with both of these guys. Granted Garcon was injured but they've both been on the downside, now it's evident that it was indeed time to move on. Not to Terrell pryor, but move on to some young talent.

2017 Regular Season

REC TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD FD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
Pierre Garcon 40 67 500 12.5 59 0 25 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

Desean Jackson 50 91 668 13.4 41 3 36 3 38 12.7 23 0 0 0

Who thought that the genius McCloughan was going to go all in for two guys in Josh Doctson and Su'a Cravens that were this unproductive?

He said he wanted 'football' players.

Well, both Doctson and Cravens seemed more like finesse athletes that came into the league and weren't ready for the physical aspect of the game.

Cravens walked away after one year. He says he wants back into the league now, but who is going to trust he doesn't walk away again?

Once at USC...........Once in Washington.............Cravens needs to be doing something else for a living.

And I wouldn't want him back here. We have Swearinger and Nicholson at safety as a tandem to move forward with.

And I don't trust that Doctson is going to all of a sudden show up for camp and be 'reborn' as a prime receiver.

Who thought that the genius McCloughan was going to go all in for two guys in Josh Doctson and Su'a Cravens that were this unproductive?

He said he wanted 'football' players.

Well, both Doctson and Cravens seemed more like finesse athletes that came into the league and weren't ready for the physical aspect of the game.

Cravens walked away after one year. He says he wants back into the league now, but who is going to trust he doesn't walk away again?

Once at USC...........Once in Washington.............Cravens needs to be doing something else for a living.

And I wouldn't want him back here. We have Swearinger and Nicholson at safety as a tandem to move forward with.

And I don't trust that Doctson is going to all of a sudden show up for camp and be 'reborn' as a prime receiver.

Agree. Only caveat is that it will be interesting to see if Smith and Doctson (or even Pryor if the Skins surprise and don't cut bait on him) develop some trust and confidence and timing - something Kirk could not accomplish in any meaningful degree. That could indicate that neither guy is a true NFL starter, or it could be a matter of chemistry or lack of trust. Hard to say. But sometimes a change in QB can make a world of difference to a WR.

Agree. Only caveat is that it will be interesting to see if Smith and Doctson (or even Pryor if the Skins surprise and don't cut bait on him) develop some trust and confidence and timing - something Kirk could not accomplish in any meaningful degree. That could indicate that neither guy is a true NFL starter, or it could be a matter of chemistry or lack of trust. Hard to say. But sometimes a change in QB can make a world of difference to a WR.

I would have a hard time imagining a scenario where Pryor signs with us now that he's a free agent. He was playing apparently injured so who knows what the team thinks of him... I guess it could happen

I've been thinking about it this way.
Either way, we were going to over-pay for our QB.
We were either going to over-pay Cousins, or over-pay for Smith with the Fuller trade.
If we pay Cousins a trillion dollars, who knows, maybe because of that, we can't afford to pay Fuller what a #1 slot
corner deserves when he became a FA.

I'd like to see Pryor come back for another year. For less money. Even another 1 year deal.
If his actions back up his talk, he might do very well trying to "make up" for last seasons disappearing act.
Also, having a true veteran QB that isn't afraid to bark at guy for making mistakes, will be good for him. And all the other receivers, as well.

With the 33/34 year old Smith on board, the Redskins are not in the job now of developing 28 year old receivers and hoping they are able to learn the position in the next couple of years.

We need to go out and get Smith some legit weapons on offense to work with. We don't have Kareem Hunt or Tyreke Hill on the roster at present.

Jordan Reed can dominate but he is always a hangnail or a hamstring away from missing 8 games.

We have Chris Thompson, another valuable asset.

But he is a change of pace guy who can make big plays not a hammer to use on a defense for 20-25 carriers a game.

Besides, at WR we are still developing Doctson and Crowder, who while not 100% products, seem WAY ahead of Pryor who is YEARS older.

Good points Bulldog. I know there will be more howling and gnashing of teeth if the Redskins go impact RB or WR at pick 13, but if a sure fire star (to the extent that's possible) is there for us, I think you could justify it. Especially if it's a premier RB.

Cavanaugh is our OC (officially speaking).
But I have a strong feeling that you're referring to Gruden, correct ?

Absolutely to Gruden. I'm good giving him 1 more season as HC but dude needs to relinquish game day play-calling. He's turrible at it and would gladly welcome Cavanaugh or another offensive assistant in that spot.

Absolutely to Gruden. I'm good giving him 1 more season as HC but dude needs to relinquish game day play-calling. He's turrible at it and would gladly welcome Cavanaugh or another offensive assistant in that spot.

How about Wes Phillips ?
If McVay is any indication, maybe the TE Coaching Spot is the spawning of great offensive minds.
Plus, McVay has football in his bloodline, and Phillips possesses that, as well.
And they're both at about that same age, and "mental peakness"
A few parallels to think about.

Last edited:
Kirk said the Redskins didn't call him until the next day after the trade...

Well, Cousins indicated HE wasn't going to talk to the Redskins until the start of the league year (March 14th) when asked a week or so ago, so the team at this point doesn't really owe him anything. He had one step out the door since last summer and that last game against the Giants was probably his worst effort in two and a half years. At least in 2016 the Giants had an 11-5 team he was playing. This year the Giants were a quick score or two away from giving up and finishing 2-14 but the Redskins allowed them to shamefully win the game on a host of mistakes, several of which were on #8 .

Good points Bulldog. I know there will be more howling and gnashing of teeth if the Redskins go impact RB or WR at pick 13, but if a sure fire star (to the extent that's possible) is there for us, I think you could justify it. Especially if it's a premier RB.

A solid running back at that position you almost have to take unless there are 2-3 still on the board I don't know if Barkley will be around then or not. I'm thinking that with the way QBs have gone the last couple of years 4 could probably legitimately go before we pick which would leave a glut of another position on the board which might help us pick up a solid second or third in a drop down into the mid 20s

Now that QB need is met, and so many other remaining needs, with a # 13 now, looks like either BPA or trade down is the way to go.
I have a slight lean toward a trade down, to try to compensate for the Fuller loss.
But who knows, maybe Moreau has really thrilled the coaches behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.