• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Colt played against the 2nd and 3rd stringers...not sure why people swear he can go against starters.

Gonna jump in and say that I think Team Cousins (that's for you Boone) is downplaying the turnovers. If Griff had those plays, you would have crucified him. Cousins, overall, played MUCH better than Griffin has, but he also showed his limitations.

If Boone is correct, and Cousins can grow out of those mistakes I will be thrilled. I saw a trouble spot last year when the picks started to bury him. He looked tentative and afraid when the picks started multiplying and that's not what you want to see.

Hopefully he can grow as he really hasn't had a ton of game experience. I have a LOT more faith in his ability to do so than I do with Gruden at this point.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

But what are you basing this on? Kirk and Colt have looked very good in preseason. They have both looked like NFL starters. I know it's preseason, but look how bad Schaub looked last night and every other back-up Qb we've played against this year.

I think Cousins was much better than okay. He had at least 3 passes flat out dropped last night - several of which would have extended drives. And he still went 20-27. And McCoy - I am one of the few here that think, with a solid team around him, we could win games with Colt McCoy. He doesn't have a great arm, but I think he might have the best instincts of the 3 options currently.

It's not that Colt can go up against the best defenses with his combination of scrambling and arm strength.

I don't think he is an NFL starter to be honest, but a very good backup that can come in and not screw up a game for you.

But it was the KIND of plays he was making, rolling out of the pocket and finding receivers when the structure broke down that I think many of us were expecting to see from Griffin.

Kirk is the most conventional of the three quarterbacks. He is your typical drop back passer that has enough athleticism to get out of the way of the rush, slide and still make a throw when he needs to.

He doesn't have Colt's scrambling ability or Griffin's arm but he has a better combination of the qualities on display than the other two.

Colt played against the 2nd and 3rd stringers...not sure why people swear he can go against starters.

I know that, but have you seen any 2nd or 3rd stringers play as good as ours this preseason? You just can't right off 3 consecutive great performances from our back-ups, regardless of who they're playing against. I'm not anointing them as superstars either, just giving credit where credit is due.

Gonna jump in and say that I think Team Cousins (that's for you Boone) is downplaying the turnovers. If Griff had those plays, you would have crucified him. Cousins, overall, played MUCH better than Griffin has, but he also showed his limitations.

If Boone is correct, and Cousins can grow out of those mistakes I will be thrilled. I saw a trouble spot last year when the picks started to bury him. He looked tentative and afraid when the picks started multiplying and that's not what you want to see.

Hopefully he can grow as he really hasn't had a ton of game experience. I have a LOT more faith in his ability to do so than I do with Gruden at this point.

QBs are going to throw picks. It happens. It's interesting you brought up what we saw last year, the implosion after a mistake, compounding one mistake with others. I liked that he made a few mistakes last night, and didn't let it bother him a bit. He thrived after those mistakes.

I'm not leading 'Team Cousins', but I don't base my assessments of a player based on who I *wish* was playing. He played well. Anyone who says he didn't - you need to rewatch the game. It was just one half of one preseason game. But if he plays that well when it counts we will win more than we lose. Or at least, we'll put points on the board and be competitive. I think the main point is, this team has a LOT more potential even early in the rebuild in reality, than it appears to have when Griffin is under center. The difference with either Cousins or McCoy in there is obvious and glaring - and that's been a consistent fact. We can pretend it's because they are competing against 2nd and 3rd stringers, until one of them is thrust in against starters and we see the same thing. They are able to move the offense.

that is kind of like saying you have the hottest ugly chic at 2AM when the bar is closing. doesn't really count when the game starts at happy hour.

I saw a lot of disgusting things said about Griffin in chat last night....I am not really sure we will see any more unbiased opinions from anyone on here anymore.

It's not that Colt or Kirk has looked so great against another team's X and Y units.

It's that Griffin has looked as poor as he has. Griffin was simply not making ANY plays and the team seemed challenged to cross midfield with him under center.

Neither Cleveland or Detroit is a top shelf team. We needed to show better against them.

even though Griffin didn't even dress for the game we have found a way to blame him for something yet again.

its getting comical. when Cousins is the starter and Griffin isn't even in the game you'll need a new fall guy.

'Disgusting things' said in chat? What are you talking about?

Folks were happy that we had some QB play that didn't flat out suck. That's about it from my perspective.

that is kind of like saying you have the hottest ugly chic at 2AM when the bar is closing. doesn't really count when the game starts at happy hour.

I saw a lot of disgusting things said about Griffin in chat last night....I am not really sure we will see any more unbiased opinions from anyone on here anymore.

LOL...there's a saying...if you ************************************. (EDITED: Sorry Go Deep but we do have female members here - let's watch the language).

Anyway, i don't agree with hateful bashing RG3 either, but he is responsible in part for the situation he's in right now. Ideally, he needs to go somewhere where he can sit and realize he has a lot of work to do. I think after 2012 he thought he had the position mastered. A lot of us at that age probably would have thought the same.

With Griffin hopefully not starting again, I am more concerned about our run game against starting defenses. Even with Morris in there it has looked pretty shaky. The holes aren't there right now. It's only when we get to 2nd stringers that we start to shine a little. For a coach who purports to be all about the power running game, I think we were a much better rushing squad under Shanahan and I'm not sure if that was just the quick zone blocking scheme, or what?

We are loaded at RB - there's no excuse not to be able to win that matchup almost every single game. Maybe it's all the new line meshing, I don't know.

LOL...there's a saying...if you ************************************. (EDITED: Sorry Go Deep but we do have female members here - let's watch the language).

Anyway, i don't agree with hateful bashing RG3 either, but he is responsible in part for the situation he's in right now. Ideally, he needs to go somewhere where he can sit and realize he has a lot of work to do. I think after 2012 he thought he had the position mastered. A lot of us at that age probably would have thought the same.

that is a pretty damn good saying.

He is definitely responsible...but when you see "biggest bust in sports history" thrown around it just makes me shake my head. lets see how many games with INTs that Cousins has before we are yelling for the next candidate to step up.

Appeared to me that they were checking out the right side more often than not on the run game. Not particularly pleased with the outcome either but it might have been teaching moments for the new side.

Well, unfortunately for the draft picks given up my feeling is the Redskins could have rebuilt much of the current team into an up and coming contender.

Three #1 picks and a #2 pick?

For a good GM that's FOUR premium athletes.

You have to remember that the compensation for Griffin was MORE than the Broncos gave up to Indy for the rights to John Elway.

Only a fool would say the move for what was given up was anything but a swing for the fences that crashed out.

Hindsight always makes for everyone able to point fingers.

QBs are going to throw picks. It happens. It's interesting you brought up what we saw last year, the implosion after a mistake, compounding one mistake with others. I liked that he made a few mistakes last night, and didn't let it bother him a bit. He thrived after those mistakes.

I'm not leading 'Team Cousins', but I don't base my assessments of a player based on who I *wish* was playing. He played well. Anyone who says he didn't - you need to rewatch the game. It was just one half of one preseason game. But if he plays that well when it counts we will win more than we lose. Or at least, we'll put points on the board and be competitive. I think the main point is, this team has a LOT more potential even early in the rebuild in reality, than it appears to have when Griffin is under center. The difference with either Cousins or McCoy in there is obvious and glaring - and that's been a consistent fact. We can pretend it's because they are competing against 2nd and 3rd stringers, until one of them is thrust in against starters and we see the same thing. They are able to move the offense.
Yeah. I want to see how he responds when he serves up two crappy games in a row, when the games matter. Or two crappy quarters in a row for that matter. He hasn't impressed me with his intestinal fortitude to this point but as you say, he can grow.

Griffin should be done here at this point. I think if we can get a draft pick for him, fantastic. If not, I'd seriously contemplate cutting him before the season starts. For one thing, it's humane for the kid. Secondly we can remove excuses for Gruden. He'll have his QB and a distraction free team. Time to put up or go find another job, Jay.

I have no reason to believe this - but my sense is we'll release him. I think teams know we want out and no one's going to offer a pick for him. In a normal world we would hold onto him and hope someone has a dire need or thinks they can rehabilitate him. But I think they want to move on from the drama and that equals a release.

We have no return game. We consistently started deep in our own territory forcing long drives that just weren't logically going to happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.