• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Now, put yourself in the shoes of a fan of a consistent winner - the model franchises around the league...the likes of the Pats, Steelers, Packers, etc. Would they be of the mindset that with the very same results the Redskins have achieved over the last two year window that they are on the verge of something special, or that they need to reexamine the direction of their football team?

Welp, the Steelers went 8-8 in 2012, and then they went 8-8 in 2013. In 2014 they went with the same head coach, same DC, same OC, same starting QB ... and went 11-5.

Sometimes the best move is to not panic. The Steelers are actually really really good at that particular move. Actually, so are the Pats.

The Packers just have Aaron Rodgers. :)

In many ways, I get the sense that the front office is attempting to not run the risk of overvaluing what we are currently stocked with on our roster.

I sense that too, and it reminds me of the wise words of one Mr. Miyagi:

We have a piece of something here. There's a little flicker of success. At some point ... at SOME point, you just have to move forward. You have to say 'This is what we've got. Let's make something happen with it.'

We are in year FOUR of Gruden's tenure. The heart and soul of his team, and it's identity, is here, right now. If it's not good enough, fire the dude and start over. If it is, build on what he's put together.

If we sit around and go 'Meh. It's not perfect. It could be better. Let's mess around until things feel just perfect.'

*SQUISH* ... just like grape.

Having a proven winner at QB makes it a hell of a lot easier to not panic.

#8 is not a proven winner.

Betting that he will, or won't be, is a proven gamble.

Of course its a gamble.

But you cant win if you dont play.

Besides, the question asked was: Would the Steelers, given similar seasons to our last two, re-examine the direction of their team. I was simply pointing out that the answer is no, they wouldnt.

And their history of not panicking and being successful at it goes beyond Rotheilisberger. I could have also pointed out 1998-2000.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Typical nonsense (I don't care if the source is Keim or not)...

The most salient fact is that Cousins doesn't have a say in what happens here (beyond whether or not he'd accept a long-term deal). While it's true that teams might be hesitant to trade picks for Cousins on a 1 year deal, that's true of all 31 other teams in the NFL, including the 49ers. Cousins has ZERO say in where he goes if the Redskins were to entertain trade offers. That might be the only true leverage we have with the guy. If the contract talks come to a screeching halt between a presumed tag in the next several days and the July deadline, you might start to hear rumors of trading Cousins to all kinds of less desirable destinations. It would be that fear of ending up with some cellar dwelling franchise that would up the ante if the Skins cannot make a deal with Cousins and could result in us getting a lot more value for him if we can't retain him. The idea that 'Cousins would only accept a trade to 49ers' is right up there with my proclaiming 'I will only divorce my wife for Kate Upton'. It represents how I feel, but in the actual real world we humans have to live in, it is entirely immaterial :)

It's sort of a silly position to take, that Cousins has all the leverage...

Sure - he could stomp his feet and refuse to work out a long-term deal with a trade suitor, effectively nixing the trade. But then he has to stay in DC, right? So if he doesn't want to stay in DC, he's either got to sign with us, sign with another team, or ride out the 1 year tag.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, if his $$ requirements are THAT far out of the range of reasonable, are the 49ers or any other team going to be willing to meet those demands? I think we assume that's the case, but it may not prove to be true. All teams live and die by the salary cap, not just the Redskins.

Last edited:

Of course its a gamble.

But you cant win if you dont play.

In addition, NOT signing him to a huge contract is a huge gamble, as well, and probably a bigger one.
You cannot escape this gambling game in the NFL. Every decision and non-decision is a gamble.

Actually - isn't he?

Setting aside getting thrust into games as an emergency starter during his first couple of years, as a season starting QB he's had 2 straight years of winning. He's got a 65.9% career completion percentage and has thrown for over 12,000 yds and 72 touchdowns. That's hardly 'gamble' territory.

I don't worry about Cousins or about potentially losing Garçon and Jackson. I'm comforted by the fact that we have a future Hall of Fame head coach. ;)

Speaking of which, where's McD5 been ? :)

I'm here, but I'm transitioning between jobs and I've been working 13 hour days for the last month. I've been wayyyyy out of the loop.

As far as Cousins, I'd like him to stay, but I believe we have a very QB-friendly offense so I won't panic if we trade him for good value.

I would like to see us address the defense this year.

On another note, I see where the FA market for WR Kenny Stills is expected to start at $13 million per.

Ouch. That's not a good sign for bringing back both Desean and Garcon.

On another note, I see where the FA market for WR Kenny Stills is expected to start at $13 million per.

Ouch. That's not a good sign for bringing back both Desean and Garcon.

Yeah I saw that yesterday and had the same thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never thought we would bring both back anyway. Maybe they should ask Kirk which one he'd like to keep.

Actually - isn't he?

Setting aside getting thrust into games as an emergency starter during his first couple of years, as a season starting QB he's had 2 straight years of winning. He's got a 65.9% career completion percentage and has thrown for over 12,000 yds and 72 touchdowns. That's hardly 'gamble' territory.
Um, sure. Against mid tier, to basement competition, #8 can win. But it's hardly a given.

The chokes against the Panthers and Giants proved he still struggles against anything mid level and up. Even when those teams had nothing on the line. While we had everything on the line.

#8 would make the top 10 QB's due more to the drop-off after 5/6, than by confidence in his ability against average, and above defenses.

We can still trade Cousins once he signs. With exclusive tag he can't go out and seek offers, so no one knows what true market for Cousins really is. Smart move on our FO part.

With non-exclusive tag he could have gotten offers and we would have to match or they give us 2 first round picks.

Now lets see how this plays out. It could go either way. Honestly, I still see him being traded. Just now we have a little more control.

Um, sure. Against mid tier, to basement competition, #8 can win. But it's hardly a given.

The chokes against the Panthers and Giants proved he still struggles against anything mid level and up. Even when those teams had nothing on the line. While we had everything on the line.

#8 would make the top 10 QB's due more to the drop-off after 5/6, than by confidence in his ability against average, and above defenses.

Hmmm ... Against the Giants top ten defense, in New York, he threw for 296 yards, 2 TDs and a 106 passer rating.
Against the Vikings top ten defense, he threw for 262 yards, 2 TDs and a 110 passer rating.

According to FootballOutsiders.com the Redskins played the 3rd toughest schedule in the league last year. (NE played the easiest. Atlanta played the 16th toughest.) Cousins didn't pad his numbers on a cake schedule. He is absolutely capable of beating top defenses. He's not perfect. And when he's not perfect the team loses, because we have no defense and no running game. There's nothing to fall back on when Kirk isn't perfect.

But sure, #8 can win against top tier competition. Not always, but his numbers are not an illusion. The kid's pretty good.

Last edited:
Kirk Cousins is a good QB BUT........

Isn't that what they were saying the last few years about Matt Ryan?

Henry ... on his morning show, Al Galdi (sp?) has made the point several times that not only did the Skins have a tough record, they faced the single toughest cumulative defensive opponent ranking in the league. And put up the numbers we've all talked about.

No, Kirk didn't finish strong, but to look at what he did over the course of the season and still be moving the cheese on him seems unfair to me. Turns out he's not a pick machine after all. And he can, and has, beaten winning teams. And he can even win big games ... yes he can ... problem is we only seem to ever remember/talk the last one.

Unless the man simply prices himself out of reason, which would presumably indicate he wants out ... pay the man already, and let's get serious about actually giving him a little more help.

You know, luxuries. Like defense and a run game. :)

Well let's see...........................................stats?...........................or playoffs.
Fancy stats?.......or playoffs?
Pretty, fancy, record setting stats?......or playoffs?

I'll take playoffs.

Paint it anyway you like. In the biggest games (Playoff game last year, Carolina & the finale this year) he's wilted. Along with the coaching staff, BTW.
Maybe he'll improve. Maybe he won't. I sure as hell don't know.

But I know this, whoever is under center, that's my guy. And I won't shed a tear if it ain't #8.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.