• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I probably will never understand why Joe Gibbs' 80's teams will never be given their due appreciation.

Contenders every year and a unit that put recognition for Olinemen on the map and three Lombardi's when the NFC East was murder to get out of and nothing.

No mentions and paltry recognition.

Steve Czaban described the HOF committee the best:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It's a committee of whores and cowards. Secretive, petty, and poorly equipped to judge the iconic men who played the game.</p>— Steve Czaban (@czabe) <a href="https://twitter.com/czabe/status/828040079524376579">February 5, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jacoby deserves to be in the HoF, and you are probably correct DP that individual players during Gibbs 1 do not always get the acknowledgment they deserve. I have seen a lot of folks attribute this to a lack of respect for Gibbs himself. I'm not sure I agree with those who complain Gibbs and the players he won Super Bowls with do not get the proper respect. To the extent Skins players of that era and Gibbs himself don't get the credit they deserve, a couple factors could be in play:

1) 2 of the Redskins 3 Super Bowl wins came in strike-shortened seasons. That factor is exaggerated though. Yes - in 1982, there were only 9 games with true NFL rosters. 1987, only one game was missed so for me that hardly had a major impact. Still, the '2 out of 3' aspect probably diminishes Gibbs and his players accomplishments to some.

2) Gibbs was and is a low key guy, and with some rare exceptions (Riggins comes to mind) liked lunch pail, professional guys on his rosters. But the 'Deion Sanders effect' is real. Guys with big personalities who talk and self-promote a lot get more attention, and imho, more credit than their talent warrants. Was Bill Parcells a better head coach than Gibbs? Jimmy Johnson? I don't know - but most people would rate Gibbs beneath those men, almost entirely based on personality. Might not be fair, but it's the way the world works.

3) Gibbs tenure was relatively short. Gibbs easily could've been the Redskins coach for another 10-15 years, and won who knows how many more NFC East/Division championships and possibly more Super Bowls. He burned out bigtime. One could argue that his inability to manage the HC job and maintain some work/life balance was a flaw. I think it was both a key to his success and his undoing. He couldn't apply that same level of intensity the 2nd go round, and we saw his abilities move from amazing to just above average.

4) We, as B&G fans may point to his 3 Super Bowl wins with 3 different QBs as evidence Gibbs was an all-time great. That may even be true. But Gibbs never having that marquee HoF type QB makes those 3 wins just a little less 'sexy' and again, people like bigger than life, sexy, players. There's a certain irony in play here. Gibbs did put together some amazing 'no name' rosters whose sum was definitely greater than it's parts. That speaks to amazing coaching. But the 'no name' rosters are also a factor in experts assessment of how 'great' a team or coach were.

Bottom line - Joe Gibbs is in the Hall of Fame. I'm not sure how one knows that but claims Joe hasn't or isn't getting his due. As to how many players of his era will get there, guess that's still an open question. But it's never going to be enough to satisfy us, and if I'm being honest, I'm not sure there aren't some valid reasons for that.

OK, so I just turned the SB on and am having Deja Vous...this is what used to drive me crazy when Kyle was here...we go into the 4th Q of a game with the lead and he'd try to hit a HR instead of simply burning some clock off. This is why his offense struggles at times, the defense can only stop a good team so many times, so the offense needs to take over the game in the 4th Q...Kyle's offenses have a difficult time doing so. Which baffles me with the 2 RB's he has, both are strong runners who can take over a game.

Last edited:
And former Redskins Tom Compton steps on the field at RT for the Falcons...Chris Chester and Tom Compton at the right side of a super bowl team.

OK, so I just turned the SB on and am having Deja Vous...this is what used to drive me crazy when Kyle was here...we go into the 4th Q of a game with the lead and he'd try to hit a HR instead of simply burning some clock off. This is why his offense struggles at times, the defense can only stop a good team so many times, so the offense needs to take over the game in the 4th Q...Kyle's offenses have a difficult time doing so. Which baffles me with the 2 RB's he has, both are strong runners who can take over a game.

This is true, but some credit has to be given to Bellacheat. He's about as good as it gets with in game adjustments.

I wonder if Belichek ever had his opponents practices secretly recorded from a parking garage. :doh1:

The Patriots are the only NFL team that has ever, does ever, or will ever, bend the rules.

#altfacts

Jacoby deserves to be in the HoF, and you are probably correct DP that individual players during Gibbs 1 do not always get the acknowledgment they deserve. I have seen a lot of folks attribute this to a lack of respect for Gibbs himself. I'm not sure I agree with those who complain Gibbs and the players he won Super Bowls with do not get the proper respect. To the extent Skins players of that era and Gibbs himself don't get the credit they deserve, a couple factors could be in play:

1) 2 of the Redskins 3 Super Bowl wins came in strike-shortened seasons. That factor is exaggerated though. Yes - in 1982, there were only 9 games with true NFL rosters. 1987, only one game was missed so for me that hardly had a major impact. Still, the '2 out of 3' aspect probably diminishes Gibbs and his players accomplishments to some.

Boone... totally agree with all you said. And I know the "strike" seasons are "asterisks" in everyone's eyes, including the HoF voters; however one could point out during the season with replacement players...he, as coach, put together a team of replacement players that played those strike games.. and won them, even when their opponents had regular players crossing the strike line (especially Dallas) and Gibbs told the players not to come back unless they all were coming back. So he had no regular players through those games yet put a winning team together.

Despite the fact these were "scabs" (as the striking players called them)... it says something about Gibbs' ability to lead.

Cooley should shut his friggin pie hole. Maybe Scott doesn't speak with media because most of the upper management in the organization don't. Maybe he doesn't want to badgered for info he's not going to give up. There's could be so many reasons why he doesn't speak to the media. Maybe if the team gives Cooley a case of beer, he'll shut the **** up.

Last edited:
Cooley better be right. Damn unprofessional of him if he doesn't know for sure.

Cooley better be right. Damn unprofessional of him if he doesn't know for sure.

Media personalities being unprofessional? Next thing you'll tell me they just spout random speculation to stir up interest....

I expect more from an ex-player with ties to the team and the community.

Yeah I would think the team may 86 his ass from any future intel too. That's some tabloid type stuff there

I liked Cooley as a player but he's no better than Chris Russell and Mike Jones when it comes to media.

They need to can his ass.

Cooley's a dick. I'm sure that's why his wife left him.
She couldn't handle the dick that he is.
And he likely doesn't know how to use the dick that he has.
She found someone who did.

But I'm just speculating.

DP, all great points on Gibbs. But here's the catch. Did any coach on his staff ever go on to do anything else?

That might be argued even more in favor of how great Gibbs was.

But then compare that to Belichick. Parcells, Saban, Peyton and others? There's really no comparison.

On the McLovin front, I have a controversial opinion.

I'm Irish. And although I hate stereotypes, I can attest to the fact that we like to drink. And that we can drink a lot.

One other, mostly true observation? We tend to have fair skin and our faces turn red with alcohol consumption. That's not a myth.

I'm convinced that he's drinking. Not because of this rumor from Cooley. I've believed that for over a year. I just hope he keeps it in check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.