• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I thought I read in Gruden's comments that Doctson isn't even running yet and that it's not just one but both Achilles.

I thought I read in Gruden's comments that Doctson isn't even running yet and that it's not just one but both Achilles.

Yeah I heard that. Not sure if it's true.

I blew my Achilles about 10 years ago in my right leg while playing soccer. Freak injury. All I did was push off to start running and felt it go. I was in a cast and then rehabbing for close to a year.

Now I was 33, and didn't benefit from the kind of treatment I'm sure he's getting, but my leg has never been the same since.

So when I hear that he's had both go at such a young age... worries me. Probably just my experience prejudices me a bit.

Here's hoping youth and the best surgery money can buy fix him right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the thing - he hasn't torn either Achilles as far as has been stated. I'm not sure if they know what the hell is wrong with him.

I'm not a doctor (I don't even play one on tv) but it almost sounds like a genetic issue. If it is...

DeSean would be a fantastic fit for San Diego. Rivers throwing him the ball would be excellent for him. I'm not sure their problem is at WR though, so it may be hard for them to use that money on him.

As far as him with the Redskins, I'm fine with him moving on. I don't think he's worth the kind of money someone will pay him. But I appreciate what he did while he was here.

This is a fun little site for possible available players. Even breaks down estimated market value.

FYI Kirk's is $23M ish a year

2017 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

Here are a few thoughts after seeing that list:

Because our defense is in such a drastic need for an infusion of talent, I truly believe that we need to sign at least 2 possibly 3 of those young 1st round choices from 4-5 years ago who are still in their mid-20's:

Prince Amukamara
Stephon Gilmore
Nick Fairley
Dontari Poe
Dont'a Hightower
Eric Berry

Chandler Jones and/or Dion Jordan might be a considerations at DE and let Smith go if rumors are true. I'm not even sure we should waste another off-season trying to find "the" bookend to Kerrigan in Gallette when there are a few out there.

There are even a couple of OL names I would consider giving some money.

Luke Joekel at LG being the number one on the list.

With those names being tossed out, I emphatically state that I am not talking about breaking the bank for players...I am talking about McLoughan going out and finding 3 big contracts from those players that we could possibly swing. We have a lot of money...we laughed at the Giants for doing it last year and they proved to have been able to achieve what we could not with big splashes...a good defense.

Last edited:
What are the Smith rumors?

Berry or Amukamara would be a welcomed for sure. Was hoping to see a stud C on that list cause this draft as of now looks kinda weak for them.

One thing I wanted to mention after the Sunday night loss to the Giants was something I noticed I had not seen in the 12 games I had attended since Scott McGloughan came on board...he was not at the entrance to the tunnel after the game to shake the player's hands. Was a little disappointed by that.

Coulda been on the phone with Cleveland regarding their 2 firsts for Kirk

You put someone as strong as Joekel next to Trent, with Scherff on the other side, we can go another season with Long to see if he develops even more.

So there is a rumor about Preston Smith rumors? Lol

It's all good, I've been shunned like an Amish whore before...

Here are a few thoughts after seeing that list:

Because our defense is in such a drastic need for an infusion of talent, I truly believe that we need to sign at least 2 possibly 3 of those young 1st round choices from 4-5 years ago who are still in their mid-20's:

Prince Amukamara
Stephon Gilmore
Nick Fairley
Dontari Poe
Dont'a Hightower
Eric Berry

Chandler Jones and/or Dion Jordan might be a considerations at DE and let Smith go if rumors are true. I'm not even sure we should waste another off-season trying to find "the" bookend to Kerrigan in Gallette when there are a few out there.

There are even a couple of OL names I would consider giving some money.

Luke Joekel at LG being the number one on the list.

With those names being tossed out, I emphatically state that I am not talking about breaking the bank for players...I am talking about McLoughan going out and finding 3 big contracts from those players that we could possibly swing. We have a lot of money...we laughed at the Giants for doing it last year and they proved to have been able to achieve what we could not with big splashes...a good defense.

I suspect that hoarding cap room for this year was always part of the plan.
I do expect a Giants like spending spree this year.

I suspect that hoarding cap room for this year was always part of the plan.
I do expect a Giants like spending spree this year.

i don't that's not Scotts style we may sign a WR if both of ours leave or a DL but that's the extant of it. Giants spent a huge amount.

Well maybe not totally Giants like... but over the past two years he's managed our cap to a point where we have a lot of room.

I think I read a while back we could have something like $45M.

First up I'm pretty sure he was aware of the FA's he'd have to consider resigning this year. Kirk, Garçon, Jackson etc. As we've discussed he won't sign them all but he was canny enough to make sure we had enough room to sign them if need be.

I don't think he will though.

Scott is smart enough to know this is effectively Year 3 of the grand plan and the Defense needs an overhaul.

I suspect that'll be a combination of Draft and FA spend. Now he's hoarded the resources I think this is the time to use it.

Saying that he'll still be careful enough to maintain flexibility for us.

I didn't particularly agree with the position we took in last year's draft that because Jackson and/or Garcon might be leaving as a free agent NEXT YEAR we HAD to make a move for a WR at the top of the draft while we passed on taking any available defensive player(s) or moving down and getting extra picks for value selections later in Round 1 or early Round 2.

You can worry about changes coming in 12-18 months OR you can worry about having much less than adequate depth and talent at positions like DT, DE, FS, and ILB to compete at an NFL level now.

To my way of thinking, you start to build up the roster across the board first when you are trying to establish a winning program.

If Jackson or Garcon leaves in the 2017 offseason, then you go out and make a corresponding move in free agency to bring in an solid performer to add to the stable of which ever starter stays, Crowder, tight ends Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis and running back Chris Thompson.

You can also add a pick in 2017 in Round 2 or 3 to develop, a guy that has good size and decent speed.

That's what most successful teams I see do.

When Green Bay or Pittsburgh moves on from players that leave in free agency, they most often go into THAT draft and take the best available player(s) at those positions to replace them.

But I don't remember any of the consistent franchises stacking talent at one position and going into a season as defending division champions with such gaping holes at other spots that go unaddressed.

Article from Tandler this morning re: Redskins Cap space.

According to his Calculations we could have somewhere between $62M and $73M depending on the what the cap ends up as and who we release.

6th most in the league.

The streets will run green with dollars! :D

Here's the article if you want to take a gander: LINKY LINK

The salary cap is expected to rise somewhere between $166 Mil to $170 Mil. The yearly rises tend to be on the upper end of that scale.

But let's put it in the middle of that projection - at $168 Mil for purposes of analysis here. The Redskins would be $67.3 Mil Under the cap to start the 2017 season. This is before players who are under contract could be released and before a contract is finalized with Kirk Cousins.

Such cap room, even with a new Kirk Cousins contract, could allow the Redskins an opportunity to add two or three quality free agents.

In next week's BBQ, I will highlight these figures and news again. Also included will be a list of players that might be released and the cap savings - thus increasing the cap even more.

That's what most successful teams I see do.

When Green Bay or Pittsburgh moves on from players that leave in free agency, they most often go into THAT draft and take the best available player(s) at those positions to replace them.

But I don't remember any of the consistent franchises stacking talent at one position and going into a season as defending division champions with such gaping holes at other spots that go unaddressed.

You have hit the nail on the head. What the Patriots do and any top 6 team. When you have a winning record, the way to go is to draft best available player. When you are mediocre, 8-8 or less team, you should directly target your need for an impact player even if it means moving up.

The BAP for playoff winning teams insures greatness for years to come. We need to get there, and first we need to get the defense there then target the running back. By then we are ready to fill in with the franchise QB. Just my .02

The pick of Doctson would not have hurt so much (his health aside) if McCloughan had invested his #2 and or #3 picks on a DL.

But we didn't do that either. He went for skill players exclusively in the top 3 rounds.

His fifth round pick, Ioannidis, seems like a mild bust at this point. He ended up the season on the active roster, but was waived at the end of the preseason and was out of work until Washington brought him back to the practice squad.

No one else signed him when he was a street free agent nor did anyone try and take him from our practice squad.

It's unusual when you have a current year draft pick that sits on the PS for a stretch of time.

McCloughan himself went out and signed former draft picks like Josh Evans and this week the safety from Philly (Wolff) to get a look at.

I'm surprised teams starved for DL help like the Saints with all of their injuries didn't think Ioannidis was worth signing off our practice squad to give him an opportunity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.