• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Yeah, we need to improve the middle of the defense. Big time.

2 DT It's possible that Ioanidus (sp) could develop during the offseason program. But we need 2 starter quality guys there. For rotation purposes.
2 ILB If any are already on the team, I don't know who they are. But we need two every down guys there.
2 S hopefully Cravens can be one. But just like ILB, we need to guys there that play every down.
A pass rushing nightmare for opposing O coordinators would be nice too.

I'm sure Gurley would just love to have a coach that doesn't understand the concept of an effective running attack.

As for Keim's article....a C+ suggests an "above passing" grade. Which is curious because they failed so miserably to achieve any meaningful goals.

Last night right after the game, I'd have given them an F-.

After sleeping on it, and being much calmer now, I give them the D- that they earned.

I'm sure Gurley would just love to have a coach that doesn't understand the concept of an effective running attack.

As for Keim's article....a C+ suggests an "above passing" grade. Which is curious because they failed so miserably to achieve any meaningful goals.

Last night right after the game, I'd have given them an F-.

After sleeping on it, and being much calmer now, I give them the D- that they earned.

Take your glasses off and look at the body of work that this team is. Good solid players competing for a playoff spot. So we didn't get it this year? You act like with you post spewing we had the talent of the Patriots and finished with the Browns record. Do you want to blow it all up and start over? Finish next year at 4-12? Give it another season and we will be back in the playoffs next year

Jay Gruden a few moments ago:

"We've had two #1's since I've been here. One didn't play,the other's a guard."

Wonder what he wanted different?

Jay Gruden a few moments ago:

"We've had two #1's since I've been here. One didn't play,the other's a guard."

Wonder what he wanted different?

i would imagine for last years number 1 to be on the field

Take your glasses off and look at the body of work that this team is.
Ok, let's do.

We just finished the 3rd year of the Gruden era. We are a non playoff team for the 2nd time of the era.
Last year looks more like the fluke some others suggested it was. (Playing a last place schedule, against 3 faltering division foes)
We had the worst home record of any team in our division this season. We have the weakest run game in the division. The worst run defense in the division.
And that's with 2 of the teams sporting rookie head coaches. And two with rookie QB's. And one with new schemes, offensively, and defensively.

Good solid players competing for a playoff spot.
Debatable. Some good solid players? Sure. But not enough. And competing? Well, I give the players higher marks than the coaching staff.

So we didn't get it this year? You act like with you post spewing we had the talent of the Patriots and finished with the Browns record.
Never said we had Patriot talent. So, spew that up your attitude. And, we obviously didn't finish with the Browns record. Which, I never said either.
But after all that transpired over the season, we were gifted with a "win and your in game", at home, against a team with little to nothing to play for, that the Eagles, with a rookie head coach, and a rookie QB just beat the week before, and we pissed our britches. With lousy coaching, and lousy play. So, if want me to spew happiness and cheer about it. Well then, woo ****ing hooo!
Better?

Do you want to blow it all up and start over? Finish next year at 4-12? Give it another season and we will be back in the playoffs next year
I said about a month ago that he would, and probably should, get 1 more year. And, as much as I believe he's Norv Turner 2.0, I'll stick with my statement. The only change would be this. I had said he should be told, "You either make the playoffs, or you're out." Now, I wouldn't tell him, as he should know. Make the ****ing playoffs, or you're done. And I don't care if the half the team winds up on IR. No exceptions.

And BTW, "Give it another season and we'll be back in the playoffs" is what we heard regularly during Norv Turner 1.0

It seems most obvious to me that regardless of all the draft babble about Best Player Available and which conference a guy played in college, this team HAS to come away with a couple of blue chip prospects for the front seven on defense, especially the line.

The other thing is we need to LINK our free agent and draft strategies so that we don't end up with overkill and stacking at one position and having no legitimate NFL performers at others.

The unbalanced roster is in my mind the #1 reason the Redskins won 8 games and not more.

You can't finish #3 in offense and #30 in defense and expect to be an elite team.

Finally, you can go up and down this roster and point to a few spots where the current starters need to go and we need upgrades.

In 2017 we can't afford to be in the Shawn Lauvao business. Kedric Golston and DeAngelo Hall, both 33 years old, need to be thanked for their service but not considered candidates for the roster. We need to sign at least one defensive lineman that can force the double team. The draft picks would rotate in as they learn the NFL and provide the depth we didn't have this year so we don't have to move a career DE like Ziggy Hood into a miscast role as a NT.

We need to find a starting caliber safety, to be the leader in the back seven, and there is no getting around the fact this is going to cost some dollars.

And McCloughan is going to have to hold his nose and pay up. Even if Cravens is part of the future at safety, he needs someone on the field to mentor him and ensure he is up to speed sooner rather than later. We don't want to be having discussions about Cravens needing to improve in 2018 so he can be a competent player. By 2018, hopefully he should be emerging as a consistent play-maker.

In terms of depth - no more converting corners into safeties, signing career special teamers like Bruton to #1 off the bench, etc.

There has to be a complete housecleaning.

We need to recognize there are strong and free safeties in the NFL. This may go against the grain of Barry's scheme, but you have guys that are good in the box vs. the run and can cover in the short zones and be effective. There are other safeties that are better in coverage beyond that 10-15 yards and can run to make plays, but they may be a bit undersized at the line of scrimmage.

That's just the way it is. Making believe it isn't so as Barry has done is just committing suicide on Sundays.

Finally, if you look at Belichick the one thing he does NOT do is go out and overpay for wide receivers and running backs in free agency.

The Redskins need to avoid the killer contract to bring Jackson back or to go out and make an impulse move to replace Jackson or Garcon if they depart.

I can see Gruden putting on a LOT of pressure on the front office to go out and sell the farm to find a profile wide receiver if any of his current stable of pass catchers leaves before the draft.

We need to ignore that pressure and be patient working with Doctson and perhaps adding a mid-range free agent that is under 30 but is a consistent performer.

We have made mistakes in the past signing guys like Andre Roberts that were let go by the teams that drafted them because of 'Rod Gardner' disease, ie, being a '50/50' wideout who you can't count on to be there play after play with a catch.

Agreed Bulldog.

Only things I'd say is that we had to upgrade both Offense and Defense. It makes sense to do one then the other. If we'd tried to address both at once we'd have ended up with something like a 16th ranked Offense and defence and still struggled to make the playoffs.

We had to upgrade the Offense first as we needed to see what Kirk had.

If we'd have upgraded D first we'd have been the Giants. Yeah they got to the playoffs but they're dull as dishwater to watch. Lol

Either way now it's Defense time.

I'm hoping Scotty uses his BPA method but skews it for Defense. More of a BDPA. Lol

I'm not sure Gruden would be stupid enough to demand a new WR if Garçon or Djax leaves. Or both. I think they've already planned for this by grooming Crowder and drafting Doctson. Harris has looked like an upgrade over the Grants and the Roberts of this world too.

I will not be happy if we go drafting a WR high in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, let's do.

We just finished the 3rd year of the Gruden era. We are a non playoff team for the 2nd time of the era.
Last year looks more like the fluke some others suggested it was. (Playing a last place schedule, against 3 faltering division foes)
We had the worst home record of any team in our division this season. We have the weakest run game in the division. The worst run defense in the division.
And that's with 2 of the teams sporting rookie head coaches. And two with rookie QB's. And one with new schemes, offensively, and defensively.

Debatable. Some good solid players? Sure. But not enough. And competing? Well, I give the players higher marks than the coaching staff.

Never said we had Patriot talent. So, spew that up your attitude. And, we obviously didn't finish with the Browns record. Which, I never said either.
But after all that transpired over the season, we were gifted with a "win and your in game", at home, against a team with little to nothing to play for, that the Eagles, with a rookie head coach, and a rookie QB just beat the week before, and we pissed our britches. With lousy coaching, and lousy play. So, if want me to spew happiness and cheer about it. Well then, woo ****ing hooo!
Better?

I said about a month ago that he would, and probably should, get 1 more year. And, as much as I believe he's Norv Turner 2.0, I'll stick with my statement. The only change would be this. I had said he should be told, "You either make the playoffs, or you're out." Now, I wouldn't tell him, as he should know. Make the ****ing playoffs, or you're done. And I don't care if the half the team winds up on IR. No exceptions.

And BTW, "Give it another season and we'll be back in the playoffs" is what we heard regularly during Norv Turner 1.0

i said you act like we have NE talent
last season being a fluke would be made a better argument if it was sandwiched by 2 losing seasons like 2012
lets not annoint Dak anything yet he could catch lightning and win a Super Bowl or he could end up like RG3
Giants went out and bolstered their DLine in the offseason but how long will that last you can't do that every year. I would rather build through the draft and have a solid foundation for years to come hopefully. Were you this upset after Gibbs 2 third season?

You mention Gibbs 2 third season.

But remember that Joe Gibbs took over a 6-10 team and went on to win the Super Bowl in his second season as a head coach. Bill Walsh took over a 2-14 San Francisco team and 3 years later had it 13-3 and winning the Super Bowl.

How long was Belichick in New England before they won in 2001? A couple of years.

Pete Carroll wasn't in Seattle for 6 or 7 years before his team beat the Broncos in 2013.

My point is capable head coaches in various eras, whether it was pre or post free agency, have been able to turn around the fortunes of their teams by that second, third season.

Gruden has been here 3 years as we end the 2016 season.

Do I have a problem with bringing him back for 2017 and giving him and Cousins another year (with a better effort by all to build a defense) to show what they can do?

No.

But what I do have a problem with is saying 'well, the coach is ONLY in his third season in the top job, so we shouldn't expect too much out of him' - and then excuse poor clock management, questionable play-calling in critical games, and having the team come out in consecutive home games with little energy or focus :)

Let's keep it real.

i said you act like we have NE talent
last season being a fluke would be made a better argument if it was sandwiched by 2 losing seasons like 2012
lets not annoint Dak anything yet he could catch lightning and win a Super Bowl or he could end up like RG3
Giants went out and bolstered their DLine in the offseason but how long will that last you can't do that every year. I would rather build through the draft and have a solid foundation for years to come hopefully. Were you this upset after Gibbs 2 third season?
1. Well, I'd say, no I don't act like we have NE talent. What I would say is, whatever scale of talent we do have, it underachieved when it mattered most.
2. I didn't say last season was a fluke. But that this season makes me less apt to just dismiss the notion. And yeah, we avoided sandwiching that season by a whopping 1 and a half games. AMAZING!
3. I've anointed no one.
4. Same could be said for useless flowery passing stats.
5. No. Because Gibbs was a proven winner in the NFL. While Gruden is anything but.

Perhaps most troubling to me is that Gruden has now come out more than once this season after key games to tell the media that he and the rest of the staff were out-coached in a loss.

Ben McAdoo is a rookie head coach. He had to integrate five or six new players on defense and his offensive line was as much of a mess this season overall as our defensive line was.

But he seemed able to get his team which has some obvious flaws (running backs in NY are maybe WORST in NFL) to get over the hump and win games they had to win.

Gruden has had a head start on McAdoo and on Doug Pederson in Philly, but both of those coaches seem like they have their teams poised to be on the upswing.

Worry about making the playoffs next year? Me too.

But given the state of the NFC East, I am equally as worried about finishing in last place!

Dallas and NY are currently better and headed to the playoffs while the rebuilding Eagles only finished 2 games behind the Redskins with a rookie HC and rookie QB.

You mention Gibbs 2 third season.

But remember that Joe Gibbs took over a 6-10 team and went on to win the Super Bowl in his second season as a head coach. Bill Walsh took over a 2-14 San Francisco team and 3 years later had it 13-3 and winning the Super Bowl.

How long was Belichick in New England before they won in 2001? A couple of years.

Pete Carroll wasn't in Seattle for 6 or 7 years before his team beat the Broncos in 2013.

My point is capable head coaches in various eras, whether it was pre or post free agency, have been able to turn around the fortunes of their teams by that second, third season.

Gruden has been here 3 years as we end the 2016 season.

Let's keep it real.

All true, but look beyond that. Step out of the bubble.

None of the coaches you listed took over a toxic team like Gruden did. The Redskins had 9 winning or .500 seasons in a row before that 6-10 one. Gibbs came to a team that has a winning history.

Belli took over NE from Pete Carroll and Parcells and they had 4 winning seasons in a row before he came in.

Even the Seahawks despite having 2 losing seasons prior to Carroll turning up had a winning history. Something like 7 winning seasons in the previous 11.

The Gruden skins had 6 winning seasons in a 22 year span... and our last back to back winning seasons were 96/97.

This was a team with a deeply ingrained losing culture. Without a proper GM and with an owner who couldn't help meddling.
There were no coaches worth their salt who wanted this job. It was about as toxic as it gets.

Yet 3 years later and no it's not perfect and no we're not Super Bowl champs or even contenders yet. But we're a team that has shed all that toxicity, we're winners two years straight even if it is just barely. That can't be underestimated.

Personally I write off 2014. It's stuck on his record but this coaching staff has bigger issues to tackle than simply win loss. It's almost a miracle that from the mess ShanaClan left behind we were winning even in 2015!

To establish long term success you have to build a foundation. It takes time, especially in the NFL which moves so slowly.

I don't know if Gruden is the right man for the job long term. I don't know if he'll lead us to the Show. Really don't. He has his flaws, but I admire what he's done for this organisation so far.

What Gruden is not doing right now is giving me confidence through his words and media sessions that he is in charge and things are going to get fixed.

He looks confused by what has happened in 2016 and by the failures of some of the people he selected to be coaches and players on his team.

Maybe for him that's a good thing and he can start to re-evaluate how to build a better mousetrap.

With his brother as a sounding board, I am really surprised that Jay has been as lost as he has appeared at times.

What Gruden is not doing right now is giving me confidence through his words and media sessions that he is in charge and things are going to get fixed.

He looks confused by what has happened in 2016 and by the failures of some of the people he selected to be coaches and players on his team.

Maybe for him that's a good thing and he can start to re-evaluate how to build a better mousetrap.

With his brother as a sounding board, I am really surprised that Jay has been as lost as he has appeared at times.

Yeah his body language seems very casual sometimes.

It is worrying sometimes.

But then I'm the same. Wife says I'm like stone. Lol never flustered and very laid back all the time.

Maybe that's just who he is.

He hasn't lost the players yet though so I'm ok on the whole with it. I remember that 2013 team when they quit on ShanaClan... that was a bad situation.

I do wish Gru would get a little more fired up though.

Gibbs was never fiery... but he had that school teacher like vibe lol
Different kind of quiet authority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.