• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Big game at home, national tv audience, playoff implications, and we shit the bed.

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

Not.

Ouch.

Well I'm in a much more reasonable mood this morning.

Well that was a **** up not worth waiting up all night for. LOL

Honestly it was bad across the board.

I'm still not on board with the 'We take the ball first' line of thinking. To be honest it doesn't really matter that much. We could just as easily have gone 3 and out on our first drive if we'd taken it after winning the toss. Personally I always at least like the 'hope' of having the ball after the half so we get a chance to strike back straight away. Of course we screwed the pooch yesterday, but for me that's always the right decision. I hate having the ball first as all it means is that even if we're leading at the half, the other team gets the first chance to strike back and close the gap or take the lead.

I'm not sure what was going on with the Run. On the one hand we did seem to abandon it pretty sharpish again. On the other hand the run game was doing nothing to instill confidence. FatRob looked like he was starting his runs from way back in the backfield. Maybe that's normal, but it just seemed to strike me as odd every time. The Panthers have a really good D. It may not show up as much in the stats this year, but they were the backbone of that team last year and they are playing with swagger at the moment. It was one of the reasons that this game worried me. They closed any inside running lanes off quickly, Fat Rob had no where to go.

Their record was based on early season performance. I'd been looking at their more recent play and that Defense was looking fiesty. Their corners especially were getting their swagger back.

I'd like to have seen them try and burn Thompson around the outside more often. He has breakaway speed and we did get a couple of useful runs that way (one I recall was brought back by a penalty!)

Our passing game was off yesterday. I guess we were due a flat game, but why last night. Ugh.
Kirk was off target on alot of throws, but also our receivers dropped a ton. Even so we showed sparks from time to time and I thought a comeback was on the cards. Then we lost Reed through a stupid punching penalty (although he's been useless all game anyway, but it was a momentum killer) and then Garcon got rattled and taken out of the game. At that point we were done.

Our Defense... Ugh. I'm not going to go on about it again, but it's one of the worst I've seen. Period.

Huge holes at the back end and a lack of speed.

I still feel we're a cusp team. I didn't expect great things this year. It's still in my mind year two of a three to four year plan. We've been spoilt by the quick progress we've made on offense in particular. But every team, every QB has a bad day. This was one of them.

Next year will show alot. We need to show consistency.

Now lets see how we play out the season. :D

@Ari73547093 @discoque5 It's not a talented defense at all. Barry has his faults, but you gotta have better talent.

I'm fine accepting the lack of talent. Where I'm not fine is that this is the NFL and the Defensive coaching staff is utterly incapable of even getting the slightest bit of improvement from these guys. This is the NFL, where everyone has pro-levels of talent and the mistakes they're making, mental or otherwise, are inexcusable.

Joe Barry's Defense couldn't even stop Our Lady of the Worthless Miracle High School JV team.

Factor in a HC entirely incapable of getting 53 men ready for a game and McLovin needs to clean house this post-season. Gruden is essentially Norval with a misplaced ego.

Nick

Last edited:
Offense needs:

LG,C and RT

An OC that understands what a run game is,the strategy behind it and how to use it.

A capable RB and a dependable TE

Defense:

All three DL spots

2 ILBs that are actually ILBs and not converted 4-3 DEs or undersized 4-3 WLB that can't keep their feet on their home field

2 safeties and another CB

Also hope we dont do something foolish like overspend on Baker...he's nothing more that a rotational player.

Was anybody really expecting to win this game ?

Well I thought it would be close, but I thought we had a good chance of winning.

I thought the lines on the score were way off, people were sleeping a bit on how good the Panthers had been lately and their rankings are skewed by a bad start to the season.

And to be honest that was a winnable game. They scored pretty much bang on their average while our Offense had a really bad night. I watched it again this morning and I don't think that the Panthers really left points on the table that they should have had. Watching the Eagles last week I felt like they could have scored at least 10 more points, the Panthers this week... that seemed to be their number. Our D held when it needed to, I just wish they'd do that further down the field a few more times. But then that's been the knock on our D all year. They give up bucketfuls of yards, but not as many points.

We've seen our O play much more cohesively than that. This wasn't so much their Defense killing us as much as it was bad throws and dropped balls. I'll give them the fumble at the start of the second half, they pushed Vernon right back into Kirk, nothing Kirk could do about that. The Interception was a bad throw though.

But to have no Receiving Touchdowns.... that's a first this year I think isn't it?

As for what we need this off season...

Well I'm one of the peeps who doesn't want wholesale change. I really don't want to be back to square one again. I'm with Kirk when he says he wants a 'Mature' team. Whens the last time we had anything close to that?

Barry needs to go. I haven't seen anything in 2 years that says he's the man for this defense, regardless of it's talent level.

McVay I'd be ok with staying and hoping he grows more with this team and with Kirk. I know we're a passing team, but he needs to stop leaning on it. It makes us way too predictable. But there are times when this offense fires on all cylinders and we're really hard to stop. It's possible that we are so talent stacked that there could be a better OC out there. I wouldn't object to having a new OC.

Gruden I personally like. For all it's faults this team is still trending upwards in my view. I think we'd be silly to put the brakes on now. There is such a talent deficit in so many areas I want to see Scotty and Gru finish what they started. Honestly if we were in a spot like the Rams where we just weren't getting any better and every year was a disaster then I'd clear house, but I don't feel like that. Even off the back of such a bad loss, I'm still confident that this team is turned. We've righted the ship, we've turned it around and now we're starting to steam towards respectability. We're not their yet, but then I didn't expect to be right away. I'm in for the long haul. I got time :)

Our O is pretty set to me. We need a stud Centre. Sully and Long are suitable backups, but I'd love a stud there. I'd like to see what Fat Rob and ChrisT can do behind that O-Line with continuity, a stud centre and a little more commitment to the run game. I'd like to see us resign Garcon, and make a reasonable play at Djax. I also want to see what Doctson has next year. Reed and Davis are a nice combo. Reed is a stud and Davis is reliable when we use him right. If we took a shot at another TE in the draft I'd be ok with that.

Our D needs a complete rework. They can't all go, some have to stay so... I'd keep Norman and Kerrigan. I'd keep Smith and Bree and hope they have a better year next year. Cravens is a keeper. Baker to give us at least some continuity on the line. I'd like to see Fuller and Spaight stay. Maybe Everett too. Other than that you can clear house. And I want them under a new DC. We don't need to be spectacular on D, but we have some key pieces and we just need a DC that can get them playing to their potential, unlock what they're capable of. I look at our current D and even though I know we're not very talented, it just doesn't look like we make the most of what we have. That's the worst sin.

If our Offense can get some tweaks and keep humming and if our Defense can rise up to even below average next year we'd be in good shape.

Not to beat a dead horse, but what exactly the **** was that play call to start the second half? Seriously, What the ****? A deep drop down by your own endzone, and bringing a TE across the formation to block a DE? Where was that play designed?

Seriously, that was brutal. Turned the game off and went to bed.

Not to beat a dead horse, but what exactly the **** was that play call to start the second half? Seriously, What the ****? A deep drop down by your own endzone, and bringing a TE across the formation to block a DE? Where was that play designed?

Not to mention a TE with a damaged shoulder.

I missed that the first time around as I was late back to join the second half. But when I watched again this morning I did have a WTF moment at that. LOL

One of the big problems this year is we didn't really improve our overall talent base from last year.

This is a 53 man roster. We added one player who can make an impact in Josh Norman in 2016.

On offense we didn't go out and finally take care of the long term holes at center and left guard. For some reason these coaches love Lauvao who continues to grade out poorly.

We didn't go out and get a legit runner in the backfield despite signs that Matt Jones was not the answer. We just gave him a starting spot unearned after a poor rookie season going into 2016 and ignored the position unless you call using a #7 pick on a back taking it seriously.

On defense, we added #24.

No blue chip defensive linemen were selected in the draft and we didn't sign any veteran free agents with a recent track record of success.

We failed once again to address the DT/NT problem by stubbornly deciding to go with 33 year old backup Kedric Golston as the starter. Our idea of depth when Golston got hurt was to move Ziggy Hood, a career DE inside and play underweight at 305.

Who could have thought this was a real answer?

Our one pick on the DL, Ioannidis, was a reach selection as I recall reading that most teams had him rated as a 'premium' undrafted free agent - a guy to sign after the draft who could have some upside.

Well, evidently not much as Ioannidis was cut in September and was out there for some time before the Redskins resigned him for depth.

It is interesting that a #5 pick could be cut and no one else in the league even wants to take a flyer on the guy. It's pretty telling.

I am convinced the Redskins just don't want to expend resources at safety. We keep saying safeties are hard to find and consistently push through our system late career veterans from Scot's days in SAN Francisco, or convert corners to safety.

There are safeties in the draft and free agency, we just don't want to spend on them.

Case in point, Landon Collins.

He fell out of the first round and the Giants smartly moved up 10 picks to take him at the top of the second round.

The Redskins were picking higher in Round 2 that year than the Giants and could probably have worked out a deal to nab him.

Here was a player with a pre-draft first round grade and good intangibles in re work ethic and team play coming out of college.

But we didn't value the position that much.

Then after the draft our front office laments that we would love to acquire a safety but none were available.

Collins looks like he is on the way to the pro bowl this season while our #2 pick that year, Preston Smith IMO massively underachieved in 2016.

Outside of one or two games he was damn near invisible.

Meanwhile, Bruce Allen's much maligned 2014 pick, Trent Murphy, is improving and with hard work has surpassed Smith as an impact pass rusher.

I saw everything I needed to see when ESPN showed the graphic breaking down where the money goes for player salaries. We are second highest in the league in salary for offense and most games this year have looked like it. We are second lowest in the league for salary spent on defense and in most games this year have looked like it.

Admittedly, the offense has the more expensive positions in QB, LT where really good ones make more than the high end guys on defense, pass rushers and shut down CBs, but still, I don't expect the balance to be that far out of wack. We are tying to field a bargain unit on defense and it shows.

We are simply not a playoff team and last night proved it.

There is plenty of blame to go around. The defense was crap again, and they will take the bulk of the blame, but the offense hasn’t been getting it done recently either. The play calling at times was downright bad. Mix in some terrible special teams play and you have a %#&* sandwich. We could easily lose the last two of the season.

I’m not going to go position by position at this point but we could probably use 7 or 8 starters on defense for next season. That’s a huge turnover and a hell of lot to ask for one offseason even if we do nothing on the offensive side of the ball. Joe Barry will most likely get the ax too. It may not be completely his fault but we need a proven winner on that side of the ball. He’s not.

Werd. On that note Alaska's beauty makes putrid ass Redskin performances much easier to tolerate. Tough to be depressed up here.

Werd. On that note Alaska's beauty makes putrid ass Redskin performances much easier to tolerate. Tough to be depressed up here.

It's just too bad you have no sunlight to see by currently :D

It's just too bad you have no sunlight to see by currently :D

It's actually not too awfully bad where I'm at. Daylight at the moment is 915ish to 415.

Okay I'm pretty sure Wade Phillips contract is up this season. Should we?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.