• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Am I the only one worried about the possibility of Green Bay signing Mack Brown off our PS?

Their starting RB was promoted just today from their own PS, and he sucks.

Their second string RB is a wide receiver.

Mack Brown is probably gone, isn't he?

Probably is a strong word.

Could be, could be not. Hard to say.

based on appearances alone, our rook D lineman 'has a chance'

Ioannidis, Moses, Scherff.jpg

It's time we recognize that Bruce Allen's 2014 draft was pretty darn good.

Trent Murphy, Morgan Moses, Spencer Long, Bashaud Breeland, Ryan Grant - a pretty good haul. The sixth and seventh rounders didn't work out, but you can't argue that it wasn't a successful draft.

His 2013 draft wasn't as polished, but it did produce David Amerson, Jordan Reed, and Chris Thompson.

The 2012 draft gave us Kirk Cousins (smart pick in retrospect), Keenan Robinson, and Alfred Morris.

The 2011 draft produced Ryan Kerrigan and Niles Paul.

Bruce Allen's first draft brought us Trent Williams and Perry Riley.

Not too bad in the earlier years, but not too great either. But look at the players we still have from the Bruce Allen drafts - Trent Williams, Ryan Kerrigan, Niles Paul, Kirk Cousins, Jordan Reed, Chris Thompson, Trent Murphy, Morgan Moses, Spencer Long, Bashaud Breeland, and Ryan Grant. Eleven players. Seven are starters. Three are regular contributors. One is a limited role player.

In a few minutes, I will post the Scot McCloughan draft analysis. Then we will tie it all together and let you judge if the draft each year is important.

The 2015 draft was Scot McCloughan's first for the Redskins.

The class produced Brandon Scherff, Preston Smith, Matt Jones, and Jamison Crowder. It's still too early to judge the rest of that class. Perhaps another player or two can still be added at some point to the list of regulars later this year or next.

The 2016 draft has given us Su'a Cravens, Kendall Fuller, and Matt Ioannidis. We will certainly need more time for players like Josh Doctson (remember when we were down on Matt Jones?) and Nate Sudfeld.

That's five starters and two regulars with one project. Look for the 2016 class to improve and have a good impact in 2017.

BB, I'd agree with that, but it seems like Ryan Grant has become more and more of a disappointment.
And I think it was this past Sunday, he dropped a really, really easy pass, which further cemented that idea.
It was only one pass I remember him dropping, but when you have at least as many drops, as you have total catches, at this point, that's not good.

I realize we shouldn't expect much from a guy who is currently a #4, but I just expected so much more, especially after the way Gruden went out of his way to rave about him, when he first became a Skin.

Last edited:
Now let's tie it all together...

Since 2010, we have drafted the following starters:
Trent Williams
Ryan Kerrigan
Kirk Cousins
Jordan Reed
Morgan Moses
Spencer Long
Bashaud Breeland
Brandon Sherff
Preston Smith
Matt Jones
Jamison Crowder
Kendall Fuller

Since 2010 we have drafted the following regulars:
Niles Paul
Chris Thompson
Su'a Cravens
Matt Ioannidis

That's twelve starters and four good contributors. The list from 2015 and 2016 still has a reasonable chance to grow. As you can see, the draft is very important. It's nice to know that our GM has three extra picks in the 2017 draft. Don't be surprised if he turns it into twelve or fourteen picks overall.

Well, and on top of that, the last two drafts ('14 and '15) have added the most contributors on that list, which means the trend-line is going up. Which is very promising.

Ashburning ‏@johnnylocal
Clearly the Giants have violated the spirit of the personal conduct policy.
They should be hit with a 36M dollar cap penalty.

Now let's tie it all together...

Since 2010, we have drafted the following starters:
Trent Williams
Ryan Kerrigan
Kirk Cousins
Jordan Reed
Morgan Moses
Spencer Long
Bashaud Breeland
Brandon Sherff
Preston Smith
Matt Jones
Jamison Crowder
Kendall Fuller

Since 2010 we have drafted the following regulars:
Niles Paul
Chris Thompson
Su'a Cravens
Matt Ioannidis

That's twelve starters and four good contributors. The list from 2015 and 2016 still has a reasonable chance to grow. As you can see, the draft is very important. It's nice to know that our GM has three extra picks in the 2017 draft. Don't be surprised if he turns it into twelve or fourteen picks overall.

Not trying to throw cold water on it, but as bad as we were, I would expect to have lots of guys break the lineup and play. I would look at their contributions to the division title as my barometer on how well we drafted. That is, let's win something before patting everyone on the backs.

I do agree the future does look bright and am thrilled that we actually took the fundamental step of playing the young guys. Still dissappointed the first rounder can't contribute and took a roster spot. I don't want another bpa draft pick that can't start.....at any position.

Not trying to throw cold water on it, but as bad as we were, I would expect to have lots of guys break the lineup and play. I would look at their contributions to the division title as my barometer on how well we drafted. That is, let's win something before patting everyone on the backs.

I do agree the future does look bright and am thrilled that we actually took the fundamental step of playing the young guys. Still dissappointed the first rounder can't contribute and took a roster spot. I don't want another bpa draft pick that can't start.....at any position.

Well, I think 13-9 and a division title over the past two years is something. It's not EVERYTHING, but it's something. And considering that that list represents the core group that has put together that record, things look promising on the personnel front.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gruden says <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Redskins?src=hash">#Redskins</a> have placed WR Josh Doctson on IR with Achilles injury.<br><br>"I think it's best for him."</p>— Washington Redskins (@Redskins) <a href="https://twitter.com/Redskins/status/789519727186018304">October 21, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ashburning ‏@johnnylocal
Clearly the Giants have violated the spirit of the personal conduct policy.
They should be hit with a 36M dollar cap penalty.

You guys are lucky I'm busy at work today. :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gruden says <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Redskins?src=hash">#Redskins</a> have placed WR Josh Doctson on IR with Achilles injury.<br><br>"I think it's best for him."</p>— Washington Redskins (@Redskins) <a href="https://twitter.com/Redskins/status/789519727186018304">October 21, 2016</a></blockquote>

Well, nuts.

At this point not much of a shocker, but still ...

Josh, we hardly knew ye.

Remembering Scot's reaction when the Achilles news broke: :aargh4:

Am I the only one worried about the possibility of Green Bay signing Mack Brown off our PS?

Their starting RB was promoted just today from their own PS, and he sucks.

Their second string RB is a wide receiver.

Mack Brown is probably gone, isn't he?

The IR move was to open up a roster spot, to promote and protect Mack Brown.

Perhaps.

Josh, we hardly knew ye.

Remembering Scot's reaction when the Achilles news broke: :aargh4:

The Broken hand.
So, I suppose on hearing this, Scot tore his own Achilles, kicking his desk.

Okay, quick spin time.

Next year we'll be welcoming TWO shiny new number 1 draft picks to camp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 8, Members: 0, Guests: 8)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.