• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

What I dont see is anyone talking about Griffins blocking up front. He's had some time, but he has hardly had time to get comfortable back there.

I ve been saying from week one 1st qtr... if he throws another pick into triple coverage from our side of the field you mah consider sitting him for a series or 2 to make a point and show your defense you have their backs. Long term benching? Nah.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
You put Cousins in when Griffin CANT play. Not when you think letting Griffin play is inconvenient.

I don't think so. You put Cousins in when you conclude your starter isn't healthy enough or able to physically do enough to give you a chance to win games. We left Griffin in 'until he couldn't play' last year and that didn't work out so well for us. Look - I just don't think RG3 has fully recovered from his reconstruction. People can disagree but he doesn't look like the same player to me so far. I'd really have been fine with saying 'we're going with Cousins in 2013' to give RG3 am opportunity to heal. I realize I'm in the minority there. The 'QB controversy' **** doesn't concern me at all and I don't think should factor in. It should always be about who gives us the best chance to win in the upcoming game. In not ready to pull Griffin yet but he needs to show he can be something close to his former self the next 2 games or its a reasonable option.

Boone, if you think Bob is at increased risk to reinjure himself then absolutely put Cousins in. I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Cousins played a nearly identical offense at Michigan State. He was by far more ready than RG3 coming out of college.

RG3 is a one read Qb, always has been. Now that's not too bad mixed with the zone read, but we're not running it for whatever reason this year. RG3 is still accurate and runs the 2 minute offense pretty well. I think he's more comfortable in the 2 min and makes better reads.

In our base offense he locks onto the primary. The 2nd series this weekend we had a 3rd and 11(or something close to that) and Hankerson was lined up tight in the slot and the seam route was wide open and RG3 tried to hit a covered Garcon on a 15 yd out instead. That was an easy read and play to make.

I honestly don't know what to do, but at some point the coaching staff has to take responsibility. Either let RG3 come out and run the 2 min or let Cousins run our regular offense. Our base Offense(TE, FB or 2 TE's & RB) has been horrendous.

I also think Aldrick needs more playing time. It's to easy for defenses to man up against our receivers.

Go Deep's post is exactly what I'm talking about. If Griffin needs to learn his reads then let him learn it. Otherwise we spent all those picks to draft Michael Vick.

If you trust Cousins to run our current offense better than Bob then yes, that is a QB contoversy and not a matter of resting an injured QB.

Without pulling a bunch of stats to support my position I will rely on some of you to see for yourself.
Adrian Petersen's Miracle recovery and "almost all time rushing record season" didn't start the first two-three games off looking like anything special...So where is the basis and the facts to suggest anyone should be able to draw any conclusions about what RG3 should or shouldn't be at less than 12 months since the surgery?

Griffin a one-read QB? A more inaccurate statement I've never read. A one-read QB doesn't throw 5 picks his rookie season, more like 25.

And yes, Kevin, I'm telling homeboy he is flat out WRONG. Now you don't have to point it out like usual.

A couple of points...

1. I still think Griff's biggest issue is trusting his own body and that won't change sitting on the bench.

2. We are not running the same offense we ran at the end of last year. Not even close.

3. So, we are running a new offense with Griff who got ZERO first team reps in the OTAs, most of training camp or the Pre-Season.

4. The above 3 items, when added together, equal time. Time specifically for Griff to learn he can trust his body again and time to wrap his head around this new offense at game speed. Spending that time on the bench won't help him.

Agreed on all three points, Neo.

Also, we don't know if Griffin's knee is fully-healed or not. All speculation to that extent is just that; speculation. I highly doubt that they would send him out there on a not fully-healed knee; it just doesn't make any kind of sense. Not only would it be astronomically stupid to *add* to the risk of reinjury (which is already pretty high after the second ACL surgery), it would be even MORE stupid to risk a third ACL surgery this quickly.

In my opinion, just based on logic, I think what we are seeing is rust, and him not trusting his body. At first I thought he might not be fully healed, but that just doesn't make sense as an option. He needs time to get his "sea legs" back; I think by week 5 he will be fully back into the swing of things. He'll have three games (hopefully not all Ls) under his belt, and two full weeks of practice during the bye week. I think week 5 will be his strongest performance yet; and it just so happens it will be in Dallas. :)

EDIT: week 6 I mean, and he'll have 4 games under his belt. The bye-week is week 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Griffin a one-read QB? A more inaccurate statement I've never read. A one-read QB doesn't throw 5 picks his rookie season, more like 25.

He had 5 int's with the least attempts of any Qb almost. Only Gabbert and Kaepernick had fewer attempts and RG3 was tied with Wilson at 393 attempts. In comparison, Brees had 670, Brady had 637(with 8 int's) and Luck had 627 attempts.

Baylor didn't even use a route tree. They ran a 4wr set and played a 2 man game on the outside. Robert either threw right or left. That's a fact, not something i'm making up.

Learning a route tree and going through progressions is a learned skill and something you do or don't develop a feel for. Wether RG3 will develop into a pocket Qb is still a ?

He had 5 int's with the least attempts of any Qb almost. Only Gabbert and Kaepernick had fewer attempts and RG3 was tied with Wilson at 393 attempts. In comparison, Brees had 670, Brady had 637(with 8 int's) and Luck had 627 attempts.

Baylor didn't even use a route tree. They ran a 4wr set and played a 2 man game on the outside. Robert either threw right or left. That's a fact, not something i'm making up.

Learning a route tree and going through progressions is a learned skill and something you do or don't develop a feel for. Wether RG3 will develop into a pocket Qb is still a ?

Look at his interceptions per attempt, the numbers are way lower than any QB. I think he threw an interception every 78 or 79 attempts - ludicrous.

Also, I don't care what he ran at Baylor - I'm going by what I observed last season. And that was Griffin constantly going through his reads until he found the open man or took off running. He was anything but a one-read QB last year, he simply would not have had the success he had if he was.

Just to be clear, i'm not ragging on RG3 even though it may look like it. I'm all for opening the offense up on 1st and 2nd down with 3 and 4 wide. I'm just saying trying to run a pro set on every 1st and 2nd down and trying to remain 50/50 run/pass without the read option isn't working.

It's like we're trying to run last year's scheme without the read option. I just don't get it when that scheme relied on Robert running the ball. If I was to really blame someone it would be Kyle.

Look at his interceptions per attempt, the numbers are way lower than any QB. I think he threw an interception every 78 or 79 attempts - ludicrous.

Also, I don't care what he ran at Baylor - I'm going by what I observed last season. And that was Griffin constantly going through his reads until he found the open man or took off running. He was anything but a one-read QB last year, he simply would not have had the success he had if he was.
Hence the term "read option" sorry couldn't resist

We didn't run the read-option every play - in fact I think we ran it only like 10-15% of the time.

if the 'new' offense consists of Griffin resembling Gus Frerotte in terms of mobility in and out of the pocket, the offense is not going to be successful.

even a great pocket qb like Aaron Rodgers has the footspeed to get to the outside on a defensive lineman and pick up a key first down.

from what I have seen the first two weeks, Griffin either doesn't have the strength in the knee to do that or the willingness to do that.

Either way, the Redskins with their current OL and WR group have limitations that almost mandate having a mobile passer.

The OL doesn't hold blocks and the WRs outside of Garcon have trouble separating.

This still reads like 'our team is not playing well so lets put in our backup QB which is far superior in our fertile imaginations.' Its a very common tale. The most common in football.

This is exactly the concerns behind drafting a QB during the same draft in which you trade a historic amount of picks in order to draft another QB. This is the exact conversation we shouldnt be having right now.

One other possibility, that I have seen mentioned by a few reporters, but nor discussed on here--RG2 made his feelings loud and clear that he didn't want his son to be a running QB.

Czabe and Cooley's partner both believe that RG3 may not want to run as much either.

Total speculation, and I hope that's not the case.

Well, it's football tr1. Injuries happen. I like the approach that the team is taking with The Third. None of us likes an 0-2 start, but it is better to suck it up now and not for another twenty years plus. We've been severely hampered with a stupid cap "penalty" over the last two seasons and when you take that into consideration, this team has done a darn good job.

Patience is needed now more than ever. Yeah, Hell's Bells for now - but that is better than a total darkness in that hot place for many years to come. We'll get there.

Alfred Morris is 9th in the league in ypg rushing and 6th in ypc.

And tied for 21st in attempts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.