• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Diesel, Carolina's top RB yesterday had 83 yards and 0 TDs.

The team scored 49 points.

No, that's not the way to go anymore.

Carolina's top RB carried the ball 19 times. He averaged 18.6 carries a game this season, second-highest in the league, to Adrian Peterson.

Carolina runs the ball a lot. They feed the ball to Jonathan Stewart a lot.

This does not keep the ball out of Cam Newton's hands. Nor has it kept them from scoring more points than every other team in the NFL. Being able to successfully run the ball is a good thing, even in a passing league. A good RB is a supplement to a potent offense, not a hindrance.

I don't know how anyone who thinks about it objectively could come to the conclusion that having a one-dimensional offense is better than having a two-dimensional offense.

Last edited:
The WRs. Great WRs don't equal SB appearances. Just go down the list. From ODB to Calvin Johnson or Deandre Hopkins, as a whole, their teams usually blow.

Seven WRs broke 100 receptions this year. Four of them made the playoffs.

The most dominant WR in the game today is, arguably, Antonio Brown.

I'm pretty sure the Steelers missed his presence immensely against the Broncos last week. In fact, I suspect that one-score game might have been dramatically different. Not to mention this week's game.

Oddly enough, twelve QBs broke 4000 passing yards this season. Four of them made the playoffs. Huh.

You guys are funny. :)

From what I can tell, we can distill NFL success at the highest level thusly:

Dominate up front on both lines of scrimmage.

On D, stock up on stone cold killer pass rushers and have at least one lock-down corner to neutralize the other team's go-to guy.

On O, have balance. Be able to run just enough to support your Franchise QB.

If only more GM's understood this.

You guys are funny. :)

From what I can tell, we can distill NFL success at the highest level thusly:

Dominate up front on both lines of scrimmage.

On D, stock up on stone cold killer pass rushers and have at least one lock-down corner to neutralize the other team's go-to guy.

On O, have balance. Be able to run just enough to support your Franchise QB.

If only more GM's understood this.

Absolutely. I think the point here is, take BPA, because every good player helps the team. Every elite player helps the team. And having top players at any position is better than not having them.

Fact is, it doesn't matter what position we draft, or acquire in FA, if our front office can't spot talent. THAT is really what we need. Not 'take this position and then take that one.'

Yep, it's that simple, superior talent at all positions on offense, defense, special teams and practice squad, paired with an extremely creative coaching staff capable of highly motivating all of these 'super smart' guys.

All lead by a FO that hits on 90% or better in the draft and gets quality FA's to sign for vet minimum.
In fact things are so good that most of our players are on long term rookie contracts with anytime team options based on performance that FA's are rarely needed.

Throw in a medical staff that can cure anything in three days and an equipment guy that discovers his stuffing of wadded toilet paper into helmets just before game time solves the concussion issue.

The value of the team increases to the point that the ownership group can build a new self sufficient domed grass field REDSKINS STADIUM spanning the Potomac, offer free dedicated transportation by land, sea and air to and from all corners of the DMV and reduce beer to a buck.

Yep, it's that simple, superior talent at all positions on offense, defense, special teams and practice squad, paired with an extremely creative coaching staff capable of highly motivating all of these 'super smart' guys.

All lead by a FO that hits on 90% or better in the draft and gets quality FA's to sign for vet minimum.
In fact things are so good that most of our players are on long term rookie contracts with anytime team options based on performance that FA's are rarely needed.

Throw in a medical staff that can cure anything in three days and an equipment guy that discovers his stuffing of wadded toilet paper into helmets just before game time solves the concussion issue.

The value of the team increases to the point that the ownership group can build a new self sufficient domed grass field REDSKINS STADIUM spanning the Potomac, offer free dedicated transportation by land, sea and air to and from all corners of the DMV and reduce beer to a buck.

Can't tell if you're being snarky to me or not (I've gotten very dense in my old age) but this is true.

To win the Superbowl these days it takes The Perfect Storm of everything going right at the same time. There is no one formula for how to win it all. The Panthers and the Broncos have very different philosophies today than the Patriots did last year. The 2013 Seahawks played a very different game than the 2010 Saints did. The 2011 Giants and 2012 Ravens were very average for long stretches of the regular season, only to get real hot at just the right time.

I think I'll just keep repeating myself because I'm just so darn smart. :) If the front office knows what it's doing, it doesn't matter when we draft. And it doesn't matter what position we draft. The players we get will work within the team's overall philosophy, and as long as they do that, the team should be successful. And then maybe The Storm will hit. Shrug.

"The success of 44 players depends on keeping one guy protected"- Joe Gibbs

So let it be written.............

Last edited:
Seems to me that any team hoping to compete for a title in the new pass-friendly NFL needs some combination of the following.

A legit quarterback.

Competent pass pro.

Complementary, reliable offensive threats.

Pass rushers.

At least one playmaker in the secondary.

Comparative health.

Solid, adaptable coaching.

Luck.

Not Andrew ... the other kind.

The team that makes the playoffs every with the best/hottest combination of those elements is probably going to be smiling last and best.

I may not agree with the emphasis (or lack thereof) on OL, but New England can't be serious when they fire the OL coach. They let him go yesterday. Ok, fine. Whatever. Pretty sure Brady wouldn't mind some better and younger big uglies up front.

Can't tell if you're being snarky to me or not (I've gotten very dense in my old age) but this is true.
Come on Henry...... you're not that special, especially on the old age front :)

Not meant to be snark at anyone, just a fool's attempt at describing a utopian football scenario that maybe we all could agree on...particularly the beer part.

You just listed my Madden Football strategy. It's why I'm a perennial Super Bowl champ in Madden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I like the kid, James Winston did not deserve the Pro-Bowl nod over Kirk.

Edit: I looked over the whole list and it's kinda ridiculous...Teddy Bridgewater looks like a solid QB but did not have a better season than Kirk. And there is no way Tyrod Taylor should have gotten the nod over him either.

Last edited:
If anyone doubted how far the Pro Bowl has been devalued, the way it's been handled this year, should put it to bed.

That game should be scrapped and just stick to the All-Pro list.

If anyone doubted how far the Pro Bowl has been devalued, the way it's been handled this year, should put it to bed.

That game should be scrapped and just stick to the All-Pro list.

Thought I heard they're up to 46 replacements now? That's insane!

14 are actually playing, or 14 were selected ?
I assumed none of them are actually playing, which further adds to the idea that the Pro Bowl is pretty useless.
The Pro Bowl was bad enough, when they had it scheduled the week after the Super Bowl, but then they had to water it down even further, and make it the week before the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Bridgewater made the pro-bowl?

Wow.

That team goes nowhere without Peterson. Bridgewater is coming along ... slowly ... but a pro-bowl player? Right now? That's a prayer, not reality.

Winston and Taylor I can kinda see. There's no way Bridgewater is close to there yet.

14 are actually playing, or 14 were selected ?
I assumed none of them are actually playing, which further adds to the idea that the Pro Bowl is pretty useless.
The Pro Bowl was bad enough, when they had it scheduled the week after the Super Bowl, but then they had to water it down even further, and make it the week before the Super Bowl.

There were 10 Panthers and 4 Broncos originally selected to the Pro Bowl. Since they are in the Super Bowl, they are not eligible to play. So that took 14 of the original 86 players selected away. There's been an additional 22 that have backed out because of indifference/injuries. There were 6 QBs selected, only 1 (Wilson) is still playing in the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.