• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I'm sure Coughlin was contemplating a look too, effing gnats always do that with our cuts.

I'm sure Coughlin was contemplating a look too, effing gnats always do that with our cuts.

No doubt, and that is probably why he made the 53. I'll be mildly surprised if he sticks around the ENTIRE season but stranger things have happened. Just don't let me hear any more rumors about White and Griffin in the same backfield. It conjurs up visions of the "Swinging Gate". :thud:

THIS. IS. LAUGHABLE. I get the intention, but the way he explains it, the QB is gonna get hit... a lot... with no flags for it. Is THIS the good old boys club in the NFL trying to squash the read option.

NFL Vice President of Officiating Dean Blandino via http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...irms-read-option-qbs-can-be-hit-like-runners/

“The quarterback makes the pitch, he’s still a runner — he can be hit like a runner until he’s clearly out of the play.” Blandino noted that if the offense is running a play designed to keep the defense guessing about who’s getting the ball, it’s only fair for the defense to be allowed to tackle both players who might have the ball. “The quarterback and the running back, they’re both treated as runners. We don’t know who has the football, we don’t know who’s going to take it, so both players are treated as runners,” Blandino said.

Let me highlight this again.....

it’s only fair for the defense to be allowed to tackle both players who might have the ball.

I agree with him. If you're going to engage in trickery than there should be allowances like that.

Sorry but this where TWO can play at that game. If the QB is gonna get hit ANYWAY, why not just allow him to become a blocker? If I'm RG3 and I think guys are coming after me unnecessarily, I'm going to make the FIRST move......right at their knees. After all, if they are not already engaged it's a legal block.

I agree with him. If you're going to engage in trickery than there should be allowances like that.

Yep. That's the rules of football at every level. Same with play-action - the linebacker keyed on the RB is taught to hit him as hard as he can when he comes through the line.

Sorry but this where TWO can play at that game. If the QB is gonna get hit ANYWAY, why not just allow him to become a blocker? If I'm RG3 and I think guys are coming after me unnecessarily, I'm going to make the FIRST move......right at their knees. After all, if they are not already engaged it's a legal block.

You really want RG3 throwing himself at a 300+ pound lineman's knees ?

Going after Griff when he doesn't have the ball? But he uses a chop-block to counter the attack? Oh yeah, I'm all for it.

What you're advocating causes injuries and is illegal because of that.

What we're saying is that you make a football play. You can't design an entire scheme around confusing people then get mad when they're confused... risk/reward. you don't want to take the risk then don't have 1/3 of your offense designed around making the defense think the QB has the ball when he doesn't.

I don't want to see Griffin get hurt any more than anyone else here, but you have to be realistic. If it's a concern then don't run the zone-read. You can still line up in the pistol if you think that's a good idea.

Griffin did a pretty good job getting his hands up and making sure he didn't take hits when he didn't have the ball. I really don't see this being an issue. If Griffin does a good job showing his hands and the defender takes too many steps it'll be a 15 yard penalty.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I finally got a chance to watch the Bucs game, and I was pretty unimpressed by Minnifield's play. If he had dominated that game, he would easily have made the roster. Instead, it seemed like he was struggling in coverage, and was clearly outplayed by Amerson. Whether or not this was due to his knee, I'm not sure - however after watching that game I am not surprised he didn't make the final 53.

So it appears we fans may have fallen victim once again to over-hype......this time, because he has a famous last name, and son of a famous player, and he played for a local team, and was the underdog coming in the last 2 years.

heck, maybe we should sign Jared Green.....I hear he's the son of a famous player too, and also played for a local college :(

Shanahan likes to run the ball. But let's face it, the NUMBER of carries last year was at least in part due to the absence of a healthy Garcon, Davis and Helu as the third down back.

With 3 additional healthy threats in the passing game I see fewer carries for Robert and for Alfred Morris but an offense that will still be confusing people because of HOW they use these returning players in 2013.

What you're advocating causes injuries and is illegal because of that.

What we're saying is that you make a football play. You can't design an entire scheme around confusing people then get mad when they're confused... risk/reward. you don't want to take the risk then don't have 1/3 of your offense designed around making the defense think the QB has the ball when he doesn't.

I don't want to see Griffin get hurt any more than anyone else here, but you have to be realistic. If it's a concern then don't run the zone-read. You can still line up in the pistol if you think that's a good idea.

Griffin did a pretty good job getting his hands up and making sure he didn't take hits when he didn't have the ball. I really don't see this being an issue. If Griffin does a good job showing his hands and the defender takes too many steps it'll be a 15 yard penalty.

DeMarcus Ware was frustrated by it because he found out too late that Griff had handed the ball off to Morris but he knew WELL IN ADVANCE Griff didn't have the ball. Guys are going to know in advance yet still hit him anyway, using the fake as a poor excuse. Griff has every right to protect himself. If cheap shots are a legal part of football, as many are, then Griffin needs to do what he has to in order to protect himself. A chop block from him would be perfectly legal if he feels he's being hit unnecessarily. I'd definitely use it on a mouthy SOB like Clay Matthews, who has already made threats against Kaepernick and RG3.

If they take more than a step they'll be flagged.

They wont do it very much once they get flagged. 15 yards isn't worth it.

I dont think any coach (outside of Gregg Williams) is going to approve of someone intentionally breaking the rules to put out a good player. most coaches and players like Griff and think hes a very nice guy. Ruining someone's career for one more step doesn't seem like something they'd have any part of.

Jeff Fisher...don't you remember how many times Griffin was slapped in the face after a play last year? If they could have gotten a hit on him, they would have. It is not isolated to Gregg Williams.

My point still stands. I dont believe Fisher has told them to go out there and hit Griff, it was the actions of jackasses on the team.

No Mike, Jeff Fisher coached teams have been guilty of this for years dating back to his days in TN. There is a body of evidence to support my assertion. Last year, he or one of his coaching staff told their players to instigate...they did it all season long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.