• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Latest article from Mike Jones at the Post: 5 moments that came to define the Redskins’ turnaround season

“The proof’s in the pudding now,” center Kory Lichtensteiger said. “We’re playoff dancing because of him. [At the time of the decision], it was good to see that there’s repercussions and rewards; repercussions for not playing well and rewards for doing the right thing: preparing, performing in practice and the preseason. It was just good to know that you get rewarded for hard work and performing.”

What a difference a year makes,huh?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...1-1998289ffcea_story.html?tid=pm_sports_pop_b

Apparently,Mel Kiper's not a fan....

here’s Mel Kiper, on ESPN Radio, after Washington clinched the division.

“We’re not talking about the Redskins if this division wasn’t so bad, and we’re not talking about the Redskins if [Tony] Romo plays,” Kiper said. “If Romo plays all year, we’re not discussing the Redskins in the playoffs.”

It was suggested to Kiper that at least the Redskins are playing well now.

“Are they?” he responded. “They’re a non-factor. Now, can they win a playoff game? I don’t think so. Can they win two? No. So are they going to be a factor in the playoffs? No, they’re not. They’re in the playoffs because of a bad division. … My point is they’re not where they are if it wasn’t for this incredibly horrible division, and lucking out with the injury to Romo, which killed Dallas’s chances.”
My response:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ins-will-be-a-non-factor-in-the-nfl-playoffs/

Hopefully our first round opponent feels the same way.

That's weird. I didn't remember the draft being this time of year.

What? It's not? Then why does Kiper think anyone wants to hear what he thinks right now?

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Apparently,Mel Kiper's not a fan....

Let's pretend for a moment that Romo never got hurt and that the Cowboys went 12-4 or something (not that that's a given, but in Kiper's world it apparently is).

The Redskins still go 8-7, right? I mean, the Cowboys beat us anyway so our current record would not be affected. The only difference in the division is that the Giants and Eagles would probably be worse off.

At 8-7, we'd still be in the playoff hunt right now. If we win and Seattle loses, we both go 9-7 and we'd win the tie-breaker (conference record.) Not to mention that the Romo-led Cowboys probably beat Seattle instead of losing 13-12, right? The Romo-led Cowboys would probably have beaten Atlanta, right? So Seattle would probably be 8-7 and playing the Cards on the road this week, and Atlanta would be 7-8. We'd probably wouldn't even need to win this week to get that last playoff spot. Even if we did, maybe the Cowboys would be resting their starters this week and we have an easy win.

So guess what? Romo or not, the Redskins would still be relevant right now. We'd still be talking playoffs, and we'd still be in control of our own destiny.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it. :)

Last edited:
Good teams don't fold and collapse when their starting QB goes down. I don't care what Kiper or anyone else thinks - part of what made Dallas a tough team last year was their running game. When they stupidly let Demarco Murray go, coming off an amazing 2014 season, that was the start of their problems. Dallas has one of the league's best OL's - but beyond that - what do they have? An aging veteran QB who is one of the best and most productive passers in the league, but who has rarely been able to get it done with it had to be done.

And Kiper fails to mention the losses to injury the Redskins have weathered - which not only rival, but exceed anything anyone else in the NFC East has had to deal with this year. What the Redskins did in the face of those losses was to improvise, adapt, and overcome. I hope the team and Redskins players put some of this crap up on the bulletin board.

Latest article from Mike Jones at the Post: 5 moments that came to define the Redskins’ turnaround season

What a difference a year makes,huh?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...1-1998289ffcea_story.html?tid=pm_sports_pop_b

Here's my favorite take from the article:

As the clock ticked down on the 38-24 win, Gruden received his first Gatorade bath as an NFL head coach.

“It’s a great feeling, but we feel like there’s a lot more to accomplish,” he said. “It’s one thing to have Gatorade poured on you winning a division, but you’re really thinking about the other one.”

This is what I still feel escapes the media. There's an accepted narrative that Gruden is still green, or that he's happy to make the playoffs. Now while he's still a green NFL HC, it's not an accurate picture.

He's coaching his 33rd campaign right now. His W-L season record is 29-4.

He's almost always in the playoffs. Playoffs aren't some fluke with him......they're expected every single season.

One thing I vividly recall after we won our final game, and we were headed to the playoffs in 2012 was video of RG3 walking around the sidelines and celebrating with other players like Alfred. That was great, but it seemed like our goal had been accomplished. Like our season was a great success--and it was to a point.

But this year is an entirely different story. Gruden couldn't care less about the playoffs or winning the division. He's thinking about winning the SB.

That stinkin loss to Dallas might also have been a significant turning point. An uninspired, embarrassing home loss that I think PO'd the team enough to start making mindset changes for game planning/calling/execution.

There seems to be more of a 'get after it' approach and hearing that 'pedal to the medal' interaction between Kirk and McVay might be the biggest hint.

That stinkin loss to Dallas might also have been a significant turning point. An uninspired, embarrassing home loss that I think PO'd the team enough to start making mindset changes for game planning/calling/execution.

There seems to be more of a 'get after it' approach and hearing that 'pedal to the medal' interaction between Kirk and McVay might be the biggest hint.

Since that game they have unleashed the reigns off of Kirk and put the season on his shoulders as we have passed more and run less in past years we try that it's a disaster but right now it is working

What? It's not? Then why does Kiper think anyone wants to hear what he thinks right now?

Even at that, when was the last time Mel Kiper had a draft that meant a damn or went the way he predicted? A monkey throwing a dart at a draft board could do at least as well.

Nick

Even at that, when was the last time Mel Kiper had a draft that meant a damn or went the way he predicted? A monkey throwing a dart at a draft board could do at least as well.

Nick

I still give him a hard time on twitter every now and then after that Jimmy Clausen debacle that had him screaming at McShay. He always says, that was ancient history to which I always say, but it still makes you look stupid. Haha!

As for going into the game tomorrow, I haven't heard many mention it, but Dallass did not rest starters last year until the game was in hand, they came into our house and toasted...no...embarrassed us! We need to do the same, I mean, I will always enjoy a win, but we should blast them. I think Gruden should show everyone on the team the video from that game last year on the flight down.

Give Kiper credit. He has made a nice living for himself from his Mom's basement.

Some twitter stuff from the last couple of days.

John Keim ‏@john_keim
Redskins RB Matt Jones suffers setback from hip injury.

Rob Ryan's defense earlier in the season was stellar.
https://vine.co/v/ePbaduOIlw2

PoeticGenius916 ‏@CMont916
Big 12 officiating committee: "We are strongly considering adding Stevie Wonder to our crew. He has all the credentials we are looking for."

FOX Sports: NFL ‏@NFLonFOX
It's likely Tom Coughlin will resign as Giants coach on Monday, per @MikeGarafolo

Nick ‏@NQS88
I’m convinced that there would be some Redskins fans that would be miserable instead of happy if Cousins won a Super Bowl.

Jay ‏@RedskinsCult
Several Redskins were asked about the MIN/GB game by a reporter:
Most common response: "We sure don't want to play Aaron Rodgers"

Washington Redskins ‏@Redskins
After suffering calf injury in #WASvsPHI, @DeAngeloHall23 hopes to be healthy for playoffs.

Some twitter stuff from the last couple of days.

Nick ‏@NQS88
I’m convinced that there would be some Redskins fans that would be miserable instead of happy if Cousins won a Super Bowl.

Yeah, anyone on this board knows that's true. You could also change the word "Cousins" to "Snyder" or "Gruden" and the opinion would still be valid. There are some people who would rather be right than be happy that their team won.

Swear I'd headbut Skippy Bayless in the face if I could get away with it. Kiper is playing up the ole 'hate the redskins' shtick to be relevant this time of year. Kinda like Harry Reid & the name.

I hope video of those interviews were looped into the team's plane ride and again in their hotels tonight.

Last edited:
Give Kiper credit. He has made a nice living for himself from his Mom's basement.

He actually bought a damned nice house on a 7 acre peninsula on the Wye River on the Eastern Shore of MD. His house is pretty bad ass.

I would never do it, but I think it would be funny to put up a sign at the end of his road outside his driveway that said, "Jimmy Clausen should be taken in the first round!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.