• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

He got his ass clocked several times - and looked like an old man in the process.

I know it may be unpopular to say this, but I kinda like Witten. Tough as nails and seems like a genuinely good guy.

Hated facing him as a Skins fan, but I hate to see a guy go out like that.

Average Cowboy fans just lost one of the three players that they can name.

They still have Julius Irvin and Emmitt Smiff on the field. They will always root for the team as long as they are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would agree that we need this BUT we need an elite ILB in those first 3 rounds as well. That would take our D to next level. Someone with real leadership abilities, aka London Fletcher. We haven't been the same since he left.

There's no question about it. I'd be happy if we took almost nothing but defensive players next draft.

I suspect that's exactly what we'll see. A big McLovin D draft. He obviously places a big emphasis on that, as we saw in SF and Seattle.

I think we'll go defense-heavy, but we cannot be done with this OL.

There's no question about it. I'd be happy if we took almost nothing but defensive players next draft.

I suspect that's exactly what we'll see. A big McLovin D draft. He obviously places a big emphasis on that, as we saw in SF and Seattle.

We ABSOLUTELY need to draft Offense next year.
Think of all the offensive players we could potentially lose this offseason :

Djax
Reed
D-Young
Morris
Cousins
Thompson

just to name a partial list

We pretty much have draft needs, at all offensive areas - WR, TE, QB, RB, O-Line.

I think you'll see Reed and Cousins stay.

The truth is that we need a ton of players on both sides of the ball. Which is why I'm shocked that we didn't trade a few current players for draft picks.

When it comes down to it, there are really only two ways to win a SB. A great QB, or a great defense. Great RBs without a defense don't win SBs. Great WRs don't matter either without a great QB. Look at Fitz the last three years.

If you go back and look at the last 10 guys we've plugged in at safety it's totally depressing. We need at least one immediately. We need an ILB. We also need a corner. D Hall can only last so long. And Will Blackmon isn't enough.

Come to think of it, when was the last time a great WR was on a Superbowl winning team? It almost never happens.

Look at the undefeated teams. Does Carolina have a great WR? Can anyone even name 2 WRs from the Seattle SBs? How about when the Giants beat the Patriots? How about the undefeated Patriots? Do they have any great WRs?

Maybe only second to RBs, WRs are quickly dropping down the list of importance.

It's really QB first, and defense second. We won't win anything without an amazing QB, or a dominant defense. Kind of like the undefeated teams right now.

Exactly. Almost never happens.

Same for RBs. Aside from Marshawn (who had an incredible defense) when was the last time a great RB won a SB?

It never happens. The best ones never win anything. Same with the WRs.

But great defenses win them often.

So, the question becomes - what are we closer to getting, right now - or at the end of this season :

A great defense, or an elite QB ?

We shouldn't make the mistake of selling out, trying to get both - because that's nearly impossible, and wastes time.

So you pick one of the 2, and go for it.

The other question is - even if we get the right players on defense, do we have the right coach to make this defense great, in Joe Barry ?
You can't draft Defensive Coordinators, and they're just as important as the players you draft.
And the jury is still out on Barry.

We ABSOLUTELY need to draft Offense next year.
Think of all the offensive players we could potentially lose this offseason :

Djax
Reed
D-Young
Morris
Cousins
Thompson

just to name a partial list

We pretty much have draft needs, at all offensive areas - WR, TE, QB, RB, O-Line.

The folks you keep on that list are: Reed, Young, Cousins, and maybe Thompson

The folks you need to draft on O next year are: Center, Guard, Tall WR

Pick up TE depth in FA.

All of the rest have to be on the D.

Well if we know great WRs and RBs aren't the answer, then we can only focus on what we can control.

Great receivers without great QBs or a D are a waste. DeAndre Hopkins, Megatron, Julio, Amari, Dez, Brandon Marshall.....all reduced to being nearly worthless in the quest for a SB.

Ditto for RBs without a great D. AD, Charles, Shady, Forte......total nonsense.

Great QBs are rare. So we just need to keep trying at that position until we find one. And until we find one, there's only other other path to the SB.

That's the defense. We can definitely load up on that side of the ball and make the playoffs consistently and have a shot at the SB.

Last edited:
The other question is - even if we get the right players on defense, do we have the right coach to make this defense great, in Joe Barry ?
You can't draft Defensive Coordinators, and they're just as important as the players you draft.

Quoted for truth.

Hopefully The Scot is taking notes from the sidelines.

I think the coaching is one of the weaknesses of our nascent, rebuilding team and Barry is no exception.

Great QBs are rare. So we just need to keep trying at that position until we find one. And until we find one, there's only other other path to the SB.

Elite QBs are way less predictive of winning a SB than is having an elite D.

We need to get off this thing where we are constantly searching for the next Andrew Luck. They make the regular season so much more fun to watch but having an elite D is what is on the thinking fan's wish list if they want a perennial winner with a shot at winning a championship.

If Cousins continues on his trajectory, you keep him and build around him.

Then Barry goes.

But if you can load that D up with a few Honey Badgers, Ed Reeds, Polamalus or Josh Normans, you can be in the playoffs year after year.

On that note, this is hysterical:

Josh Norman: Cowboys 'need to get Dez's 70 mil back' - NFL.com

Now who is more valuable to building a great team? Josh Norman or Dez?

Elite QBs are way less predictive of winning a SB than is having an elite D.

We need to get off this thing where we are constantly searching for the next Andrew Luck. They make the regular season so much more fun to watch but having an elite D is what is on the thinking fan's wish list if they want a perennial winner with a shot at winning a championship.

If Cousins continues on his trajectory, you keep him and build around him.

This is the best post I've seen in a long time.

And it's also a little depressing at the same time.

Defense is pretty boring. It would have been much more fun to watch Andrew Luck rip it up and throwing all over the field for the past few years. But when it came to the playoffs? The Colts got crushed. They have no defense.

We need a defense. It may not be exciting, but we need a defense badly. Just load it and we'll be in the playoffs regularly.

BB's mocks are the most accurate, but I thought I'd take a look to see what Walter Football had to say. Here's how they see it shaking down currently:

3rd: Tennessee Titans: Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida

Tennessee's defense has been better recently, but the team still has glaring holes in the secondary. Both the cornerback and safety positions need to be upgraded. This would address the former, as getting Blidi Wreh-Wilson out of the lineup would be in everyone's best interest. Vernon Hargreaves would potentially provide a huge boost and would make the matchup against Andrew Luck more competitive.

7th: Dallas Cowboys: Jalen Ramsey, S/CB, Florida State

I have a feeling that Jerry Jones will be interested in a defensive back out of Florida State. He needs to upgrade his safety position anyway, as neither J.J. Wilcox nor Barry Church is very spectacular. Both players will be impending free agents after the 2016 season, so the Cowboys need to keep that in mind as well.

As Charlie Campbell reported, some teams are concerned about Jalen Ramsey moving to cornerback this season, but he'll ultimately find a home at safety in the NFL, given that he's seen as such a special talent at that position.

12th: Washington Redskins: Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU

If the Redskins are in position to upgrade their secondary at this juncture, I have to believe that they'll pull the trigger. Their defensive backfield has been an abomination for far too long, and they won't be able to count on DeAngelo Hall being around in the near future.

42nd: Washington Redskins: Darian Thompson, S, Boise State

Here's another potential upgrade for Washington's woeful secondary. The first two picks in the 2016 NFL Draft could certainly be used on defensive backs.

73rd: Washington Redskins: Tyler Matakevich, ILB, Temple

Washington's two primary inside linebackers, Keenan Robinson and Perry Riley, will be free agents in 2016 and 2017, respectively. They haven't played particularly well anyway, so if the Redskins aren't in a position to improve the secondary, perhaps they'll look into bolstering their linebacking corps.

Last edited:
This is the best post I've seen in a long time.

And it's also a little depressing at the same time.

Defense is pretty boring. It would have been much more fun to watch Andrew Luck rip it up and throwing all over the field for the past few years. But when it came to the playoffs? The Colts got crushed. They have no defense.

We need a defense. It may not be exciting, but we need a defense badly. Just load it and we'll be in the playoffs regularly.

I did an interesting analysis and have a spreadsheet with the stats for the last 20-25 years of SB winners that's pretty eye opening.

I'll try and figure out how to post it here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.