• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I couldn't really tell, didn't notice abundant 'stuffs' and the run punched through a couple of times but whenever something got going something stupid would happen. Jones fumble, dropped pass, whatever.

Here's a link that pretty much sums it up, expression on Kirks face kinda sums it up.
Redskins Lose to Patriots, 27-10 - Hogs Haven

All in all we're at were we'd thought we'd be after the game, except for the unexpected offensive performance.

The skill guys might have been amped up too much or something, trying to make it happen instead of letting it happen, the plays were there to be had just didn't execute.

Doc Walker called it 'stage fright' but Kirk seemed to handle it well.

Perspective
The Redskins dropped seven passes Sunday – they entered the game with only eight.

Last edited:
I couldn't really tell, didn't notice abundant 'stuffs' and the run punched through a couple of times but whenever something got going something stupid would happen. Jones fumble, dropped pass, whatever.

Here's a link that pretty much sums it up, expression on Kirks face kinda sums it up.
Redskins Lose to Patriots, 27-10 - Hogs Haven

All in all we're at were we'd thought we'd be after the game, except for the unexpected offensive performance.

The skill guys might have been amped up too much or something, trying to make it happen instead of letting it happen, the plays were there to be had just didn't execute.

Doc Walker called it 'stage fright' but Kirk seemed to handle it well.

Perspective

with all due respect...I call it the excuse factory. the tolerance for poor performance from the top down is un-paralleled IMO. in other fields.......unacceptable. heck.....on many other teams. there is clearly no real control structure in place.

yea...yea...yea: none of us know what's going on cuz we're not sitting in the mtgs and planning sessions. all we have to work with are the visible results of those mtgs and planning sessions.

Right after the game most 'reviews' are just observations of what went on, not really any kind of in depth analysis of cause.
The only excuses or reasons for probable cause I've seen or read come from the fanbase and or pundits........ which is completely OK with me.

Of course what was demonstrated on the field by the Skins is 'unacceptable', we lost and looked bad in the process.
Can't deny either that there were several outright observable reasons for looking bad, dropped passes being the most glaring.

The hard part for me is even coming close to comparing the NFL and it's structure to other fields.

Talent base available to the NFL is nowhere near the available talent for other fields.

Universities, colleges and the like crank out degrees to hundred of thousands of fresh talent every year. That talent is then able to freely negotiate with or be recruited by enumerable entities offering a livelihood.

Schools put out what, perhaps several hundred fresh faces for the NFL talent pool. That talent is then given no choice to freely negotiate, or be recruited by employers until a structured system forces the cream to go where most probably don't want to.

Corporate head hunters can do their thing virtually with impunity, NFL 'head hunters', if caught, get their teams in trouble financially and talent wise.
There are even NFL rules regulating the movement of 'middle managers' between teams, there is no free trade there either.

There is also too much guaranteed monies involved in the NFL to warrant what most would perceive as justifiable firings for lack of performance or morality that in normal fields of endeavor wouldn't necessarily be included, especially when it limits the dictated overall payroll available to hire anew.

This game was on Gruden and the coaches... 100%. We're still inept at ST, even when we're ready for a play and in perfect position, our ST unit looks like it's lost. The onside kick was directly at one of our sure-handed WRs and he still drops the ball. So, is it a lack of preparation? Lack of class in the moment? What is it?

How can you not run the ball in order to control the clock? Why are we giving Matt Jones all the carries? He isn't ready for prime time yet... What has he actually proven? He put the ball on the ground again... Look at his ypc & tell me he's better than ALF... he might be a shinier new toy with a bit more speed, but he really should be relegated to 3rd down back... Heck, Chris Thompson has probably been better than both, but we need to see Alfred Morris more.

All of this is on 1) Jay Gruden, 2) McVay & 3) Barry (slightly lesser extent and gets a bit of a pass due to injury)...

I have a hard time being logical with people who say Cousins just finished his rookie season.

smoot point quote:
"This game was on Gruden and the coaches... 100%. We're still inept at ST, even when we're ready for a play and in perfect position, our ST unit looks like it's lost. The onside kick was directly at one of our sure-handed WRs and he still drops the ball. So, is it a lack of preparation? Lack of class in the moment? What is it?"

Football 101 smoot. Players PLAY and coaches COACH. cut this out and paste it to your fridge. Then watch the game at an in depth level, get away from the face value stuff. What you see is not what you get.

Right after the game most 'reviews' are just observations of what went on, not really any kind of in depth analysis of cause.
The only excuses or reasons for probable cause I've seen or read come from the fanbase and or pundits........ which is completely OK with me.

Of course what was demonstrated on the field by the Skins is 'unacceptable', we lost and looked bad in the process.
Can't deny either that there were several outright observable reasons for looking bad, dropped passes being the most glaring.

The hard part for me is even coming close to comparing the NFL and it's structure to other fields.

Talent base available to the NFL is nowhere near the available talent for other fields.

Universities, colleges and the like crank out degrees to hundred of thousands of fresh talent every year. That talent is then able to freely negotiate with or be recruited by enumerable entities offering a livelihood.

Schools put out what, perhaps several hundred fresh faces for the NFL talent pool. That talent is then given no choice to freely negotiate, or be recruited by employers until a structured system forces the cream to go where most probably don't want to.

Corporate head hunters can do their thing virtually with impunity, NFL 'head hunters', if caught, get their teams in trouble financially and talent wise.
There are even NFL rules regulating the movement of 'middle managers' between teams, there is no free trade there either.

There is also too much guaranteed monies involved in the NFL to warrant what most would perceive as justifiable firings for lack of performance or morality that in normal fields of endeavor wouldn't necessarily be included, especially when it limits the dictated overall payroll available to hire anew.

lotta in truth in what you say.

I would note that the players...through the CBA....are party to the labor structure.

This game was on Gruden and the coaches... 100%. We're still inept at ST, even when we're ready for a play and in perfect position, our ST unit looks like it's lost. The onside kick was directly at one of our sure-handed WRs and he still drops the ball. So, is it a lack of preparation? Lack of class in the moment? What is it?

How can you not run the ball in order to control the clock? Why are we giving Matt Jones all the carries? He isn't ready for prime time yet... What has he actually proven? He put the ball on the ground again... Look at his ypc & tell me he's better than ALF... he might be a shinier new toy with a bit more speed, but he really should be relegated to 3rd down back... Heck, Chris Thompson has probably been better than both, but we need to see Alfred Morris more.

All of this is on 1) Jay Gruden, 2) McVay & 3) Barry (slightly lesser extent and gets a bit of a pass due to injury)...

Smooty.....you sure? afterall...there's no room for leadership and accountability in the NFL. how like society in general these daze!

Football 101 smoot. Players PLAY and coaches COACH. cut this out and paste it to your fridge. Then watch the game at an in depth level, get away from the face value stuff. What you see is not what you get.

When the players are put into a position to succeed and still fail ... that's on the coach. There's more to coaching than just calling plays.

A lot more.

And this is the NFL. You are what your record says you are. That's what you get.

On a complete subject change I have to say something.

I am by no means one to make excuses for the Redskins. I've seen them lose a lot of games, and I can freely admit they deserved to lose them. This was a also a game the Redskins deserved to lose.

That said, was it me or did the Patriots have the refs in their back pockets on Sunday? Again, I see the Redskins lose all the time, and Lord knows I can take it, but listening to the announcers gush about how Genius Belichick can put five gas station attendants on the OL and they will still block awesomely while watching our D-Linemen getting mugged all day was just ... it was surreal. Is there a secret special rule that states 'thou shalt not call holding on thine players from New England' or something? Maybe I was just seeing things, but it sure looked to me like NE was holding all day long. Do the Patriots really need that much help to beat the lowly Redskins?

I switch off a lot of games early these days, but this was the first one in a long time I switched off because because of that.

I wouldn't suggest anyone on this site needs to copy/paste anything Football 101 on their fridge... We're all pretty smart here and have been watching this team for a very long time.

I would agree it's just player execution and we need to swap out bad players for good players. In truth, we just played a better team, playing at their home, and they happen to be better coached and have a better scheme. Look, the Patriots had a patched together OL... Are their RBs better than ours behind a patched together OL? The only thing I would say is obviously better on paper than our team is the QB and maybe the Kicker (but not by too much at this time). We got destroyed... They had a TE playing RT in this game... Our front 7 on defense got destroyed by a patched together OL, and much of the reason was the scheme on defense.

I also mentioned that the team lacks an identity that it had earlier in the year, and that's totally on the coach. They have totally gone away from the running game, and nobody seems to have a clue as to why they aren't as effective. Nobody has a fix for that. Wouldn't that have been addressed? Remember when we were top 5 running attack? Well? We're 27th in the league now... Remember when we had a top 5 rushing defense? We're 4th worst in the league now and 3rd worst in YPA... What happened? The coaches have known about this for weeks and nothing has been done about it. THAT is coaching.

Jay Gruden might be technically accurate about Desean Jackson missing OTAs as an issue, but it's not like the players who were there did anything but stink up the joint. Only issue I have with this, really... Can't single out a guy when the whole team was average to bad.

Jackson singled himself out by running his mouth after the game.

If he wants to step out there and bitch, he's fair game imo.........

All any GM needs is 7 months to rebuild a roster....even if that roster's been mismanaged for the better part of twenty years.

Right tr1?

Andre Roberts is a zero. We should have signed a WR with some size like Crabtree to the vet minimum deal he got in Oakland to run the slants and plays in RZ where a 6'3 guy has an advantage.

Would have tided us over until next spring's draft where I see the team taking a WR with size very early.

As far as the OL goes, we need to find a center. Kory has skill but no size and LeRibeus has a fat anchor but little technique.

Other than that we are taking the bumps and bruises of starting one of the youngest OL in the NFL.

Williams is the 'greybeard' at 27.

Moses (24), Scherff (23), Long (24) are all first year starters in the NFL.

Having 3 guys this young playing together is a challenge for them but also for the coaches.

But, they aren't getting better. The run game has been an issue for weeks, and it hasn't been addressed.
Oh I'm sure it's been addressed, it's just that the package is lost in the mail and we're still awaiting delivery.

I am by no means one to make excuses for the Redskins. I've seen them lose a lot of games, and I can freely admit they deserved to lose them. This was a also a game the Redskins deserved to lose.

That said, was it me or did the Patriots have the refs in their back pockets on Sunday? Again, I see the Redskins lose all the time, and Lord knows I can take it, but listening to the announcers gush about how Genius Belichick can put five gas station attendants on the OL and they will still block awesomely while watching our D-Linemen getting mugged all day was just ... it was surreal. Is there a secret special rule that states 'thou shalt not call holding on thine players from New England' or something? Maybe I was just seeing things, but it sure looked to me like NE was holding all day long. Do the Patriots really need that much help to beat the lowly Redskins?

I switch off a lot of games early these days, but this was the first one in a long time I switched off because because of that.

you know...for the period I watched I saw a lot of holding and blocks in the back as well.

Oh I'm sure it's been addressed, it's just that the package is lost in the mail and we're still awaiting delivery.

or the wrong address was applied and the delivery instead arrived in Foxboro!

I didn't think the officiating was bad. Of course there were missed calls and bad calls. The worst call of the day actually went against the Patriots. It was a holding on Gronk that when they showed the replays wasn't really a hold. I think the officiating had less impact on this game than on any other Redskins game this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it might be interesting to note that in 1981 and 1982 when the Redskins were also starting three first year players in Jacoby, Grimm and Bostic that the team was VERY effective in the run game, but had all kinds of issues in pass protection.

People forget that Joe Theismann's mobility really helped the offense make plays on third downs and clear passing downs. Early on Joe Jacoby had real issues with Ed Too Tall Jones at DE.

It took 2-3 years for the Redskins offensive line to match their pass pro to what they were doing in the run game.

This line surprisingly enough looks to be the other way around. They have been fairly solid in pass protection with the younger guys in there but have had real issues in the run game.

My guess is we still need one-two players, including a new center who can anchor the line.

Whether Spencer Long is the long-term answer at LG is another question. Lauvao was playing very well for Bill Callahan when he was injured and is just 28. We also have Arie Kouandjio understudying the position as a rookie fourth round pick.

So, we are probably not done there yet personnel-wise.

But the process of rebuilding takes time. It's trial and error on guys with no previous NFL history. It often takes 8-10 weeks to really see what a guy has to deliver and what his ceiling looks like.

That's where we are on the OL.

But at least there we have the CANDIDATES to start and evaluate.

At other positions such as safety, inside linebacker and defensive end we have limited younger players to put in there and evaluate at present.

Those positions will be taken in the 2016 draft and free agency period.

I don't know what is going on with Jeron Johnson but if he could get on the field in Seattle's nickel and dime packages over the past 2-3 years on a 13-3 caliber team, I don't understand how he can lag behind Trenton Robinson for half the season at strong safety.

Kyshoen Jarrett is really our only younger draft pick that shows promise there. Robinson, Goldson, etc. are only placeholders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.