• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

There is a phenomenon that occurs in the NFL-all sports actually-called "intransitive" games.

Team A beats team B who beats team C who then turns around and beats team A thus screwing up attempts to easily clasify teams as "better" or "worse consistently.

Matchups can be diferent, strengths versus weaknesses can be different, teams seldom play at the same level consistently game after game after game unless they are seriously better or worse than almost everybody else.

I found a cute chart from the 2014 season listing 32 games from the 2014 season in a circle which, if you follow it all the way around shows everybody beating teams who then won aginst a team who then lost making a complete circle of what might be called "Who's better than who?"

NFL_transitive_circle_original.jpg

http://sportshoop.la/threads/the-nfl-transitive-property-is-complete.164593/

Last edited:
Intransitive games!!!!

you know...what is needed is a Riemannian manifold for football relativity! that's it Serv. figure it out and you'll be famous!

Servumtuum's Theorem!!!

The next three weeks will determine the fate of the 2015 season for the Redskins.

Two undefeated teams in New England and Carolina on the schedule, as well as a surging Saints team on a 3 game win streak. Arguably, the brutalist part of our schedule at any point in the season the way things have shaped up.

I would contest that if this team can merely survive these next three games and go 1-2, at then 4-6, we stand a chance of making the stretch run of the season an interesting one.

We would then take on the Giants, Cowboys, and Bills at home, as well as a road game against the lowly Bears in our next four weeks. The one thing we've been able to hang our hat on surprisingly enough this year has been positive play at home - and it's been a welcomed change to say the least! There is no reason to believe that we wouldn't be able to put ourselves in a position to go 3 - 1 over that stretch...worst case 2-2.

At that point, you're looking at either the possibility of a 7-7 or 6-8 record moving into the final two weeks where we travel within the division to Philly and Dallas (where realistically anything can happen).

In my estimation, with positive QB play and steady growth from Kirk from here on out (especially on the road), as well as a run game that offers a bit more than it has the last several weeks, this team can realistically position itself to get in the 7 to 8 win range this year.

Personally, I would do cartwheels if that happens, especially if we complement it with a winning home record...that would be huge in terms of establishing some identity moving forward in future years as we continue to build this thing.

However, if @ New England, home vs. New Orleans, and @ Carolina becomes turns into a donut-fest and we swirl the drain, at 3-7, I'm not so sure that we'd have the confidence level or momentum to play out the final string of games in a manner that could earn us that 7 to 8 win total this season.

Cowboys signed Trey Williams from our practice squad.

Its a snark mans party
who could ask for more?
everybody's snarking
leave your sensitiveness at the door

CH quote:
"However, if @ New England, home vs. New Orleans, and @ Carolina becomes turns into a donut-fest and we swirl the drain, at 3-7, I'm not so sure that we'd have the confidence level or momentum to play out the final string of games in a manner that could earn us that 7 to 8 win total this season."

My gut feeling is that what makes this team different from last year and years past, is the team chemistry and guys coming together to fight it out for each other. I don't think you'll see us cave, just because we lose to Brees and two undefeated teams. That's the single biggest intangible I can take away from this year thus far. Evidenced by competitive play despite the worst injury status in the league. And by the way, coaching has something to do with that, no one can convince me otherwise.

The next three weeks will determine the fate of the 2015 season for the Redskins.

Two undefeated teams in New England and Carolina on the schedule, as well as a surging Saints team on a 3 game win streak. Arguably, the brutalist part of our schedule at any point in the season the way things have shaped up.

I would contest that if this team can merely survive these next three games and go 1-2, at then 4-6, we stand a chance of making the stretch run of the season an interesting one.

We would then take on the Giants, Cowboys, and Bills at home, as well as a road game against the lowly Bears in our next four weeks. The one thing we've been able to hang our hat on surprisingly enough this year has been positive play at home - and it's been a welcomed change to say the least! There is no reason to believe that we wouldn't be able to put ourselves in a position to go 3 - 1 over that stretch...worst case 2-2.

At that point, you're looking at either the possibility of a 7-7 or 6-8 record moving into the final two weeks where we travel within the division to Philly and Dallas (where realistically anything can happen).

In my estimation, with positive QB play and steady growth from Kirk from here on out (especially on the road), as well as a run game that offers a bit more than it has the last several weeks, this team can realistically position itself to get in the 7 to 8 win range this year.

Personally, I would do cartwheels if that happens, especially if we complement it with a winning home record...that would be huge in terms of establishing some identity moving forward in future years as we continue to build this thing.

However, if @ New England, home vs. New Orleans, and @ Carolina becomes turns into a donut-fest and we swirl the drain, at 3-7, I'm not so sure that we'd have the confidence level or momentum to play out the final string of games in a manner that could earn us that 7 to 8 win total this season.

oi!

to get to 7-8 given the scenario in play they'd have to win four of the final six games! not out of the realm of possibility....that said.......

so....

let's hope we win at least one of the next three. to me we can get to a six, maybe seven win season from there.

if we end up something like 4-12 or 5-11....who's accountable?

oi!

to get to 7-8 given the scenario in play they'd have to win four of the final six games! not out of the realm of possibility....that said.......

so....

let's hope we win at least one of the next three. to me we can get to a six, maybe seven win season from there.

if we end up something like 4-12 or 5-11....who's accountable?

Gruden.

Hopefully our GM looks at more than just the final W-L record when assessing the HC situation for next year. I can see a scenario where we DO win 6 or more, and Scot still fires Jay based on stuff he will have seen both on and off the field every day for a year. I can also see a scenario were we end up winning 5 or less and he keeps him based on the same kind of insight. So many factors are in play beyond wins and losses--roster, injury, QB, locker room, etc.

I've been as critical of Gruden as anyone, but I think if we pull off 6-7 wins, Gruden gets another year. I would call that a significant enough improvement.

Man, I hope the opposite. If our win loss sucks again in his second year he needs to know he isn't the man for the job. He couldn't motivate those on the bench to get better, the ones hurt didn't get motivated to get better, and he had no leadership qualities worth retaining.

I'm really hoping for Cousin Kirk to have a good game on Sunday, win or lose. I just love his passion after the last game. His brief rant at Chick Hernandez was nice to see. I don't think it was directed personally at Chick, it was just the enthusiasm of the moment.

I still think we draft a QB next year, but it will be early or late depending on what we see in these next few weeks.

FYI - I live about twenty-five minutes from the Liberty Bowl and hope to see Paxton in person before the season ends.

I guess it comes down to whether or not one trusts Scot McCloughan to make an informed decision on Gruden. Personally, I hope that informed decision will be based on more than just the final W-L record.

I trust Scot but I also trust results. We've lost some games and stunk it up against teams we shouldn't have. If we play the rest of the season like we did the second half of the Tampa game I'd bet he's safe.

I've been as critical of Gruden as anyone, but I think if we pull off 6-7 wins, Gruden gets another year. I would call that a significant enough improvement.
Me too, particularly given the ridiculous amount of key injuries.

Still, going Ivory Tower again ... if we do win 7, and Scot still fires him, I'm not going to assume it's because Scot is a raving lunatic, or it was Snyder, or Mara bought him off, or anything like that. I'm going to assume it was because Scot saw something over the course of the year that convinced him Jay isn't the right guy for his vision of the rebuild, and that the guy he brings in will be and will take it from there.

And I'm going to hope like hell he's right.

I trust Scot but I also trust results. We've lost some games and stunk it up against teams we shouldn't have. If we play the rest of the season like we did the second half of the Tampa game I'd bet he's safe.
I don't think you can have it both ways. Seems to me you either trust the guy to make an informed decision, or you choose to substitute your judgment for his.

That said, yeah, if we outscore everyone 24-0 in the second half the rest of the way, I think Jay's safe. :)

I can have whatever I want. YOU AREN'T MY REAL DAD!!

Me too, particularly given the ridiculous amount of key injuries.

Still, going Ivory Tower again ... if we do win 7, and Scot still fires him, I'm not going to assume it's because Scot is a raving lunatic, or it was Snyder, or Mara bought him off, or anything like that. I'm going to assume it was because Scot saw something over the course of the year that convinced him Jay isn't the right guy for his vision of the rebuild, and that the guy he brings in will be and will take it from there.

And I'm going to hope like hell he's right.

My guess is that if we go, say, 7-9 and Gruden still gets fired, McLovin really really wanted to bring his own guy in. He probably even already had someone in mind.

And I'm going to hope he's right. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.