• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

What is the criterion for a 'true Redskin'?

Draftee, a second contract? Like Niles Paul?

Practice squad signee from elsewhere who made the squad, eff Mara casualty? Like Lorenzo?

Think both should be in the mix as 'true Redskins'

Not to bust chops but I never liked the terminology to begin with. It's up there with "true fan". What exactly is that?

a1183d333c6cc00a342eef85c77a5b7e.jpg

My mood after reading everyone's reaction to my post. I think the point is there and that, sure, you can find a few who can be argued as "true redskins" but most stayed one contract (if that) and moved on for whatever reason.

It's not a slap in the face to question your definition, simply that others may have different ideas of what "True Redskin" means. I think Tom has a point, Niles Paul has done everything ever asked of him to this point in his career here. That would put him in that category, no?

What about London Fletcher? Yes, he won a SB in ST Louis then went on to play in Buffalo, but if that man doesn't fit the mold...I don't know who should.

Moss and Portis would both fit the mold, no?

Again, I don't think anyone is attacking your ideas, Mike...just a clearer definition of the term.

I agree 'true Redskin' is a loaded term. I said 'career Redskin' which I would love for Alfred to be. I do think character guys can really help your team. It's not a substitute for talent, but it definitely is a nice complement to it - and I think he makes guys around him better because of who he is. At the same time, we need to learn to move on from guys, even guys we love, when they are obviously on the downside of their career (like New England does).

I think 'true Redskins' boils down to someone who is automatically synonymous with the team when you're talking about them or the team. They go hand in hand. Darrell Green, Art Monk, Sean Taylor... when you think of them, you think of the Redskins, and vice versa. We are fans so that term could fall in with A LOT of players, but on a national level, thinking OUTSIDE of Redskins Nation, that list greatly shortens itself. Chris Samuels, John Jansen, and lesser known players that were beloved within our circle, might not be labeled as 'true Redskins' to others. Very few imho can be pointed at and with authority said 'THAT is a 'TRUE REDSKIN.' Alf looks like he could be that guy... and I love it.

Oh, I don't really care. I posted it for the discussion. It's funny to me how everyone jumped on it so fast.

Oh, I don't really care. I posted it for the discussion. It's funny to me how everyone jumped on it so fast.
That's what we do, did you expect otherwise? ;)

Might be a lot easier who is not a 'true Redskin', particularly in the FA/Cap era.

My criterion would be the obvious mercenary types that came in to 'get paid' and contributed absolutely nothing to the team other than embarrassment.

Deion, Haynesworth, George and the like have the #Redskin association in the world view but we locals know there is no way they are.

Gawd, can't believe I even brought those up, yuck.

Josh Scobee cut. They passed on Kai.

Josh Scobee cut. They passed on Kai.

Kai needs to disappear for a year and do two cycles of serious steroids.

I think 'true Redskins' boils down to someone who is automatically synonymous with the team when you're talking about them or the team. They go hand in hand. Darrell Green, Art Monk, Sean Taylor... when you think of them, you think of the Redskins, and vice versa. We are fans so that term could fall in with A LOT of players, but on a national level, thinking OUTSIDE of Redskins Nation, that list greatly shortens itself. Chris Samuels, John Jansen, and lesser known players that were beloved within our circle, might not be labeled as 'true Redskins' to others. Very few imho can be pointed at and with authority said 'THAT is a 'TRUE REDSKIN.' Alf looks like he could be that guy... and I love it.

What I think of when hearing "true Redskin" is that which embodies the spirit and identity of the Redskins as I know them. My history goes way before the Hogs. Theismann's teams embodied the physical running game, as did all the great Redskin teams. I began with Lombardi's Redskins and Larry Brown. Lombardi established the power, physical run game the embodies the history and identity of a great Redskins team. The identity of the team is defined by true Redskins. You can't look it up in the dictionary, but long term Redskins fans know one when he sees one. Who out there among Redskins fan's didn't immediately identify with the power running game as we pounded the Rams? Who out there didn't see #44 on the back of #31? It was a vision of the past. And I identify with that. True Redskins identify with that. For once in many many years we may have established that identity again, where team chemistry is off the charts and we can win games without ever worrying about the possibility of a loss (like 1991 team). True Redskins are made, not labeled.

Last edited:
The Redskins displayed, in the win over the Eagles, some things I have been watching to see develop.

1.) The ability to return from a demoralizing loss that follows a competent win-Rams, Giants, Eagles.

2.) The ability to have a lead taken away then be behind and then mount a comeback and retake the lead and hold on to win.

3.) The ability to recover from errors of execution, brain farts, penalties-some legit, some not-and retain enough composure to fight back and win anyway.

These are things I have sorely missed seeing from this team and it is gratifying to see this emerging.

Thank you Redskins for the improvement. :smile:

Been waiting 1.5 hours for our highlights om nfl network and not a thing

Reed being evaluated for concussion....let's hope for the best here

Finally saw highlights on nfl network and they're calling it "the game of the day so far"

Captain comeback
Captain kirk

Lots of praise so far...even lavar had to concede we played well. He said our defense is the identity of the team...I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Dallas plays the Saints tonight.

Key to any offense is being balanced.

Nice to see the playcaller be patient with the run on that last drive,realizing Philly was playing the pass and ran into it.

Kudos today for Hopkins. So nice to have a kicker that can create touchbacks on Special Teams without having to "strip his gears" to do it.

Great pickup!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.