• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

McD, are you guys talking about a Morris/Chancellor trade right now, for 2015?

Assuming for the sake of discussion Scot wanted to do that ... besides the obvious practical hurdles (that both teams would even be interested, the cap issues, that Matt Jones has never played in an NFL game and, should he go down, we'd be left with Chris Thomson as our lead back in the new power running game offense, etc.) do we think bringing in a safety who doesn't know our defense and has not even been through training camp 13 days before the opener is going to help us in 2015?

I think Seattle might like the idea of a healthy, pissed off Morris helping out this year on the cheap, but I'm not so sure it would look so good from our end with Kam inactive on the bench until midseason---particularly if Jones gets hurt, or, it needs to be said, really isn't ready to be a starter just yet.

Beyond the obvious on field production of Morris, think about the other ramifications.

Hopefully we are trying to build a positive, meaningful, culture in Washington now.

What message would it send to others on the team if Morris, who has been the ideal employee on and off the field and is in his prime, is jettisoned?

Not the right message. Not even close.

So this is your opinion... an idea you had

Yes. An idea to improve the team.

Morris can run for Seattle for the next three years. And Cam might be our all-pro safety for the next five.

McD, are you guys talking about a Morris/Chancellor trade right now, for 2015?

Assuming for the sake of discussion Scot wanted to do that ... besides the obvious practical hurdles (that both teams would even be interested, the cap issues, that Matt Jones has never played in an NFL game and, should he go down, we'd be left with Chris Thomson as our lead back in the new power running game offense, etc.) do we think bringing in a safety who doesn't know our defense and has not even been through training camp 13 days before the opener is going to help us in 2015?

I think Seattle might like the idea of a healthy, pissed off Morris helping out this year on the cheap, but I'm not so sure it would look so good from our end with Kam inactive on the bench until midseason---particularly if Jones gets hurt, or, it needs to be said, really isn't ready to be a starter just yet.

Beyond the obvious on field production of Morris, think about the other ramifications.

Hopefully we are trying to build a positive, meaningful, culture in Washington now.

What message would it send to others on the team if Morris, who has been the ideal employee on and off the field and is in his prime, is jettisoned?

Here's the thing from my point of view. If some team called right now and offered 3 first rounders for Alf, every single person on here would accept in less than .000001 of a second.

Is that reasonable? Of course not. It's absurd.

The point being though, that every player is tradable. Every single one.

Making such a trade doesn't mean we hate Alf, we are unappreciative or that he's not a true Redskin. It doesn't make us traitors. It means that we want to improve the team.

If Scot really believes he has a great player in Jones, I believe it's at least worth investigating at the absolute minimum.

If Scot is right, we'd be risking a very small to moderate downgrade at the RB position for a potentially huge upgrade in our secondary.

Pick up the phone Scot. Test out the waters.

If Scot really believes he has a great player in Jones, I believe it's at least worth investigating at the absolute minimum.

Has Scot made any noise about entertaining trade offers for Morris?

Well, you keep ignoring all the practical reasons/questions as to why this would all be ... problematic ... so I guess we're done on this one?

I say give Scot a call, man. Share yer knowledge.

Has Scot made any noise about entertaining trade offers for Morris?

None that I've heard about. Zero.

He also said that RG3 required patience and we'd stick with him just a few months ago.

Well, you keep ignoring all the practical reasons/questions as to why this would all be ... problematic ... so I guess we're done on this one?

I say give Scot a call, man. Share yer knowledge.

I'm not ignoring your questions Om. I'm here working at the same time as I post.

If such a trade happened, it might guarantee that Trey Williams makes the roster.

Chancellor picking up the defense might take some time. I would speculate that 4 games would be realistic.

These are good points. But we just extended both Trent and Kerrigan.

I like keeping our own guys, but we don't have to keep every single one if an opportunity is deemed to be too good to pass up by Scot.

Yes. An idea to improve the team.

Morris can run for Seattle for the next three years. And Cam might be our all-pro safety for the next five.

You could be right. A couple months ago myself and Mike talked about the fact that Cam could be angling to come here, and what we would be willing to give up at the time in order to get him. I'd love to see him here. I however don't think either party would choose THESE pieces in order to make it happen. What it keeps coming back to is your utter wish to get Morris off of this team. It's been an ongoing thread that has been spanned across the board for a long time now. It also comes back to a page ago where you stated these things as 'fact.' The 'facts' you've used are reaching, as described by multiple others within this thread, cherry picked together to come to your 'opinion' of a deal that would work. I don't think it would work. I don't see HOW it could work.

I'd say I could see Cam WANTING to come here, but the decision is not up to him.

This is a reach. It might benefit both clubs on the surface, but in the long term it actually would be detrimental to both squads. I don't think it's a good idea to trade Morris for anything. Going into the future of this club, based on the deals made to this point with Kerrigan and Williams, home grown talent is going to be viewed as a premium and it appears that will continue. What is lofty is that Seattle would be willing to allow Cam to leave town for a backup RB (who they would have to re-sign to an extension) while hoping that they can trade Lynch who's making an average of $10 mil a year NEXT offseason, most likely eating some of that contract, and also have to address the safety position, now with potentially $10mil tied up between 2 RBs they are paying.

McD5, you seem like a decent fellow. I love your enthusiasm, even when I think you're nuts. :)

But you seem to get awfully starry-eyed about backup RBs. It's not just Jones. It's, like, every year.

More often than not backup RBs don't work out. If you're lucky, a late-round RB makes a solid backup, or a change-of-pace guy. Someone who can play a few games while the starter is hurt. Helu, Royster and Betts are great examples of that. Most of the time you don't even get that. Most of the time you get Jamison, Seastrunk, Dennis Morris, Eddie Williams, Manuel White, Skip Hicks ...

Very rarely, you get a bonafide starter. You get a guy who will get you 1200 yards a season, go to pro-bowls, and force defenses to respect the run. Really and truly respect the run. Over the past 25 years the Redskins have drafted exactly two of those guys:

Stephen Davis and Alfred Morris.

In 2002 the Redskins felt the same way about Davis as you feel about Morris now. After three 1300+ yard seasons, we phased Davis out and then let him go, citing his lack of compatibility with our new coach's offensive philosophy as the reason. The very next year he rushed for 1444 yards and carried his team to the Superbowl, while the committee of Trung Candidate, Rock Cartwright and Ledell Betts led us to the #22 rushing attack in the league en route to a 5-11 season.

I know it doesn't seem like it. I know it seems like RBs come a dime a dozen. But quite simply, when it comes to drafting RBs, Alfred Morris is lightning in a bottle. You don't throw that away lightly, because more often than not you'll end up with a Candidate/Cartwright/Betts disaster at the position, and then we'll be forced to do something like overpay in a trade for Clinton Portis to claw back out. And nobody wants that. :)

NT Phil Taylor was just released by the Browns.

Should we have any interest?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Phil Taylor's contract terminated <a href="https://t.co/hCLBg12SNM">https://t.co/hCLBg12SNM</a></p>— SiriusXM NFL Radio (@SiriusXMNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNFL/status/638806971982835712">September 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ST and Henry, those are both excellent posts. I won't quote both of them because they are large. But a few points.

I'm not anti-Morris. And I'm not gaga over Chancellor. ST, the Seahawks don't want to pay Chancellor. And from the reports I've seen, his backup doesn't exactly suck.

We've already seen Seattle dump a disgruntled Percy Harvin. This isn't outside the realm of possibility. Chancellor is the definition of disgruntled.

We've also seen them trade a first rounder for Jimmy Graham. They aren't afraid to make moves with big players.

Henry, I respect your thoughts on the RB position. And it's definitely an unknown. But in a league where Chip dumps McCoy like it's nothing, and then Dallas sends them Demarco Murray, RBs are on the move. I also realize both of those players are experienced, unlike Matt Jones--your main point.

And your Stephen Davis example is a good warning.

It doesn't even necessarily, 100% have to be for Morris. I like the idea mainly because of the position he plays, because we have Callahan and because it at least appears we have some pretty good depth.

Seattle wouldn't make this move for Garcon. For Desean? Possibly, but he might resemble Percy too much, and he might also be too old.

Maybe either individually, or some combination of RG3, Desean and Morris would be a smart move.

I see a lot of factors and ties with Scot that I believe make a trade scenario between the two teams much more likely than it might appear on the surface.

Players coming out to a luncheon dancing like remember the titans.....****ing briliant!

And a standing ovation from the audience for Robert Griffin.

Sad...just sad all the way around. He loves the community, he tries his best, and he's a good dude.

He was just beaten up so much he's gun shy now. Damn shame.

Not going to happen unless both Cousins and McCoy go down with major injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.