• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

A year and change in, Gruden looks utterly lost. I don't know if that's because he's in over his head, or because he's got a half dozen voices from the front office in his head at any given moment, or what (I have my theories.) But he does not look like a man with a plan. There's a difference between a team that's simply talent-deficient and one that's also rudderless, and ours definitely looks like the latter.

Do I advocate firing the guy? No.

The Redskins are between a rock and a hard place. They can't keep firing guys for the obvious reasons stated by many others. They have to hope Gruden actually does know what he's doing, despite appearances, and is far more competent than he looks.

Next time I hope Snyder hires the GM first. Shrug.

Next time I hope Snyder hires the GM first. Shrug.
He has.

If Gruden has a repeat performance, he's gone.

I do not expect that to happen.

A winning season.
In contention for the division, into December.
That's what I expect.

some reporter called him a fat ass....I wonder how many chocodiles he will eat trying to forget it.

Cleared to play!!

LET'S GO, GRIFF!!!

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!

didn't we lose to Tampa last year? Not to beat this to death, but again, the factual foundation is a last place record, it speaks for itself. The first time head coach is preferable to the loser coach fired for losing with a solid football team.

I'm all for jay serving out his contract. Why do you think he demanded a guaranteed contract? Because he knew what was coming with a losing team and dysfunctional front office. He knew. His brother knew, the whole NFL world knew. But he takes the job for the experience. No one should be criticizing him for not making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. He's no Don Shula. 31 of 32 head coaches lose out every year. Gruden may not be a top tier head coach, but I'm glad he took the job. The smart play is to keep him for his contract, then Robert will already be long gone and McClue will have built a solid foundation in the trenches, then the next iteration of Redskins will be with an experience head coach with skins on the wall. The road to Redskins happiness is paved with players and coaches who never lived up to their hype. Stabilizing the coaching situation is a must for success.

Oh, I'm sorry, didn't know we're going to get completely literal on "LAST PLACE"... dam, ya got me. I thought a team that sucked as bad as us, that also had the same moron GM as we had (Bruce) and known to be a disaster of a front office for a number of years was a good comparison. My bad....

As for Lovie Smith... I wouldn't call him "elite" but looser coach is a bit out of line. Six of 9 seasons at 500 or better, with an NFC Championship in there.... let go after a 10 win season. 81 wins in Chicago..... in the same time the Skins have won 54..... sounds more like we have had a bunch of looser coaches.... I would have taken him over Gruden in a mili second, and twice on Sunday.

I agree stabilizing the coaching situation is a big part of the equation to success, once you find the right coach. That brings us right back to the original question, which you haven't answered yet. What has Gruden done to impress you as a head coach last season. You seem to be pretty sure Gruden is the answer, yet you fail to give reason why.

Please, I want the guy to succeed, so tell me why I should have faith in him from what I saw out of him and the team last season. I haven't seen anything that makes me feel he should continue for the entire contract as you say. We had no progress last season, so this season is a "do over". I don't have a problem giving him a second season, it's only fair, but I do have a problem we didn't see any change in the product on the field.... no progress.

I forgot, we were in last place when Gruden signed on, right...

Last edited:
Does anyone know if those alleged Trent Williams quotes were said in front of a microphone?

Or is it just "sources" making claims?

I agree stabilizing the coaching situation is a big part of the equation to success, once you find the right coach. That brings us right back to the original question, which you haven't answered yet. What has Gruden done to impress you as a head coach last season. You seem to be pretty sure Gruden is the answer, yet you fail to give reason why.

I don't speak for mick, but i have to jump in on all this Gruden hate.

First, we still finished 13th in total offense playing with 3 Qbs. That's not bad at all. A lot of teams would have folded if their starter went down in the 2nd game also.

Second, i seen Gruden change the offense at least 3 times last year trying to find something Robert could do. That tells me he is willing to adapt and he's not a system coach who needs the perfect players to fit his system.

Third, i think every area of the team that us fans thought needed attention were addressed in the off season. I know Gruden alone wasn't solely responsible for all the changes, but the fact is, all them changes were made on his watch and i'm sure he had input.

Fourth, i don't blame Gruden for calling Robert out on his bs because it was the truth. I know many fans do and IMO this is the sole reason they want Gruden gone.

There were reports before Robert was drafted that he rubbed people the wrong way and came off as arrogant and i see exactly what they were talking about. Froget about Robert telling Shanahan what plays were acceptable after he coached him to a record breaking rookie season...When a coach comes out and says numerous times "you have to take coaching" referring to Robert, that tells me something is really wrong. It's clearly apparent that Jay is right. Robert is not getting one bit better, as a matter of fact, he's regressing, but when your hear Robert talk he obviously doesn't think the problem is him.

When have you ever heard Robert take specific responsibility for his play? Never, he will say he needs to play better yada, yada, yada, but when has he ever said something specific like...i think i've improved my footwork, i'm making quicker reads, i'm working on securing the ball and not leading the league in Qb fumbles every year, never!

I honestly believe that after 2012, and now, Robert thinks he's a NFL ready Qb. He told Shanahan that and he's told reporters that. When in fact, he was a complete, and i mean a complete project Qb coming out of college. He's not only arrogant, but borderline delusional. I would have hoped the last 2 seasons would have humbled him, but i see no sign of it.

PS, i didn't mean to go off on a RG3 rant, but i believe that's most people's beef with Gruden. So, it had to be done.:rant:

do you think Gruden addressed the position needs or Scot?

I also know we had a lot of garbage time points and yards when we were already blown out and teams had started either playing prevent or just not really caring as much.

I think Robert could say "the sky is a shade of blue" and people would assume he is afraid to admit its blue because he sucks as a QB. People are looking to find reasons to hate him now. They are criticizing him for not stating whether he had a concussion or not but instead going with "you will need to ask the team doctors" and being safe so he didn't say the wrong thing or step on anyone's toes. I have not seen anyone scrutinized as hard as he is every time he gets on the mic in a long time.

Sure does make you understand more and more why Lynch hates the media like he does. Maybe Griffin should just reply with "hail to the redskins" over and over until the mediots get the hint.

I don't think you have to see a guy come out to the podium with a knife pointed at his throat to see he is in some distress 🙈

Or that the tone of his voice and seeming lack of his usual energy shows he's not in a good place with what he is dealing with.

Gruden may not be one of the best coaches in Redskins history but the combination of Snyder and his man love for Griffin is enough to challenge any veteran coach forget about first timers.

did you see how butt hurt Gruden got yesterday when he was called fat?

Imagine having the equivalent of that happen every single time you do anything.

I am real sick of hearing the "Snyder love" theory happen over and over. Unless you have some concrete evidence that he is specifically saying "Griffin starts and you have no choice" then its just gossip.

do you think Gruden addressed the position needs or Scot?

I also know we had a lot of garbage time points and yards when we were already blown out and teams had started either playing prevent or just not really caring as much.

I think Robert could say "the sky is a shade of blue" and people would assume he is afraid to admit its blue because he sucks as a QB. People are looking to find reasons to hate him now. They are criticizing him for not stating whether he had a concussion or not but instead going with "you will need to ask the team doctors" and being safe so he didn't say the wrong thing or step on anyone's toes. I have not seen anyone scrutinized as hard as he is every time he gets on the mic in a long time.

Sure does make you understand more and more why Lynch hates the media like he does. Maybe Griffin should just reply with "hail to the redskins" over and over until the mediots get the hint.

Scot did, but i'm sure Gruden had input. When you look at our draft it went pretty much like we would have expected wether Scot was here or not. M Jones was a surprise.

I'll be honest Mike, i don't like RG3, but i'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. If i got to take a side between Gruden and RG3 which some fans are doing. Well, i think i've made it pretty clear who i side with.

Gotta say ... the ability of some of you guys to get inside another man's head and read his mindset by watching his mannerisms in clips from press conferences on TV is pretty impressive.

Gotta say ... the ability of some of you guys to get inside another man's head and read his mindset by watching his mannerisms in clips from press conferences on TV is pretty impressive.

Thank You, i knew i had special talents!:wink:

Scot did, but i'm sure Gruden had input. When you look at our draft it went pretty much like we would have expected wether Scot was here or not. M Jones was a surprise.

I'll be honest Mike, i don't like RG3, but i'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. If i got to take a side between Gruden and RG3 which some fans are doing. Well, i think i've made it pretty clear who i side with.
Boom--there it is. We don't have to take a side--nor should we. As with almost everything in life, the truth rarely lies pegged all the way to one side of the meter or the other ...

That said, if I HAD to choose strictly between one and the other, I'd have to lean today to Gruden's side as well. For many reasons--all of which have been fully vetted several times.

In my own personal reality, I'd probably try to find a percentage ... like maybe 75% Coach's way, 25% the QB's.

Uh oh. I went there.

I don't speak for mick, but i have to jump in on all this Gruden hate.

First, we still finished 13th in total offense playing with 3 Qbs. That's not bad at all. A lot of teams would have folded if their starter went down in the 2nd game also.

Second, i seen Gruden change the offense at least 3 times last year trying to find something Robert could do. That tells me he is willing to adapt and he's not a system coach who needs the perfect players to fit his system.

Third, i think every area of the team that us fans thought needed attention were addressed in the off season. I know Gruden alone wasn't solely responsible for all the changes, but the fact is, all them changes were made on his watch and i'm sure he had input.

Fourth, i don't blame Gruden for calling Robert out on his bs because it was the truth. I know many fans do and IMO this is the sole reason they want Gruden gone.

There were reports before Robert was drafted that he rubbed people the wrong way and came off as arrogant and i see exactly what they were talking about. Froget about Robert telling Shanahan what plays were acceptable after he coached him to a record breaking rookie season...When a coach comes out and says numerous times "you have to take coaching" referring to Robert, that tells me something is really wrong. It's clearly apparent that Jay is right. Robert is not getting one bit better, as a matter of fact, he's regressing, but when your hear Robert talk he obviously doesn't think the problem is him.

When have you ever heard Robert take specific responsibility for his play? Never, he will say he needs to play better yada, yada, yada, but when has he ever said something specific like...i think i've improved my footwork, i'm making quicker reads, i'm working on securing the ball and not leading the league in Qb fumbles every year, never!

I honestly believe that after 2012, and now, Robert thinks he's a NFL ready Qb. He told Shanahan that and he's told reporters that. When in fact, he was a complete, and i mean a complete project Qb coming out of college. He's not only arrogant, but borderline delusional. I would have hoped the last 2 seasons would have humbled him, but i see no sign of it.

PS, i didn't mean to go off on a RG3 rant, but i believe that's most people's beef with Gruden. So, it had to be done.:rant:

LOL.... ya, I don't know where the stuff about Robert came from. I'm discussing Gruden alone. That being said, I'll ask the question of you too. What did Gruden do to impress you that lends confidence in him turning this thing around.

LOL.... ya, I don't know where the stuff about Robert came from. I'm discussing Gruden alone. That being said, I'll ask the question of you too. What did Gruden do to impress you that lends confidence in him turning this thing around.

I gave 3 reasons above. To recap...i think he's a talented OC. We were still 13th in total offense playing 3 qbs. He got rid of Haslett. Something Shanahan refused to do. I just personally like the guy. He's a straight shooter and speaks his mind. He comes from a coaching family and IMO sees the game well.

I would really like to know why he's so hated by some. Is it the bs with RG3? Is it last years record which was 1 win better than the coach before who was arguably one of the best OC's in league history?

I mean even the new GM agrees we're rebuilding. So what do you guys expect from Gruden? What does he need to do to impress you?

EDIT: He also brought in Callahan and got rid of Raheem.

Kerrigan is being kept out of the game tomorrow. So much for seeing what our DL will look like at full strength

whichever side you align with...please get the spelling right!

It's Grudung.

Yet we call Robert "bob" even though it was a slight used against him by Justin tuck. Just food for thought.

Also, how the **** is crowder still on the "maybe" list as a rookie?! He needs the game time experience!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.