• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Of course, Dan being the devil, you see it that way, t.

But even still, knowing Snyder's reputation, if Gruden allowed such language in the contract, it is no one's fault but his.

It's gotta be distasteful for you, trying to excuse Gruden , whom you hate as a coach, for letting Dan set the depth chart, absolving his responsibility.(with zero evidence, btw)
On the other hand, I know it's orgasmic any time you get to talk shit about Snyder.

No one knows that there is even a shred of 'drama' or conflict in the Front Office. Referencing it as if it's a fact doesn't make it a fact. As Om has already said its not only quite possible but perhaps even most likely that Allen, McLovin, and Gruden have agreed to give their investment one final season to prove he can be the guy before moving on. Snyder may or may not have been included in the convo. If you want to assume that the decision was forced upon Gruden under duress, or that he's so weak and greedy he is 'going along with it' to stay in good graces and get paid, that's fine, but at least admit that is an assumption. It certainly isn't a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because 'doomed to fail' is an absolutely unprovable position. It's easy to say because neither can it be disproved. On the other hand there is reams of evidence that one cannot judge a rookie head coach's future based on one year. They aren't comparable arguments.

doesn't matter. it's already been established on this board that flawed and unfixable is an unacceptable argument.

it's also not news that most new head coaches fail. why waste time waiting for Gruden to fail? because someone has no statistics but believes that more time will somehow improve the odds? bad is bad.

Grudung must go.

You're just repeating the same thing - which starts with the assumption that we know (after one year!) that Gruden can't succeed. We can't know that and in fact know that many good/great coaches have had rough starts.

As for 'on this board' - no one 'on this board' agrees about anything so I have zero idea what that's implying.

The irony is, I'm not a fan of Gruden to date - I was the one leading the criticism last year :). But I do know that replacing the coach every other year is the only certain plan doomed to fail because that's what we've been doing for 20 years. I balk at the idea that doing it again is some kind of magic bullet for success. What it is is a symptom of angry, understandably impatient fans.

I think the difference is that I don't want to replace Gruden because he isn't winning (it's the preseason, who cares); it's because I don't see excellence in him. Between how he handled Robert last year and this year, I don't see any growth. It's early and perhaps he will turn it around by season's end, but I doubt it.

I'll add in that if he was running some sort of dominant offense or had some innovative new scheme or something else to set him apart, I'd be a lot more willing to put up with his dearth in leadership. But all three QBs pretty much sucked last year, and most of our offensive stats looked pretty similar to the year before under Shanny. There wasn't that moment last year that made me sit up and think, wait a minute... I think we're on to something here.

I think he's just a guy.

Lovie Smith post Chicago is just one example.... Last I checked, Tampa was about as low as you could go.... I'm sure if I wasted a little time, I can give more then a few examples over the years, but I'm not buying that argument. I respect your opinion, but you're just hitting me with theories, with no real factual foundation to rest upon. Gruden knew exactly what condition the team was in when he signed on. Now, nobody in their right mind expected him to turn it around in a season, but I think many expected to see some progress by seasons end. Some of the names have changed, but this team seems to be just a lack luster as it has for the past 3 seasons. I would love to see the guy succeed..... Trust me, I'm sick of the revolving coaching door.

Time will tell I suppose.....

didn't we lose to Tampa last year? Not to beat this to death, but again, the factual foundation is a last place record, it speaks for itself. The first time head coach is preferable to the loser coach fired for losing with a solid football team.

I'm all for jay serving out his contract. Why do you think he demanded a guaranteed contract? Because he knew what was coming with a losing team and dysfunctional front office. He knew. His brother knew, the whole NFL world knew. But he takes the job for the experience. No one should be criticizing him for not making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. He's no Don Shula. 31 of 32 head coaches lose out every year. Gruden may not be a top tier head coach, but I'm glad he took the job. The smart play is to keep him for his contract, then Robert will already be long gone and McClue will have built a solid foundation in the trenches, then the next iteration of Redskins will be with an experience head coach with skins on the wall. The road to Redskins happiness is paved with players and coaches who never lived up to their hype. Stabilizing the coaching situation is a must for success.

At some point, I think any discussion of how good or bad a head coach is---whether rookie or legend---needs to take a long hard look at the talent he has to work with. That goes to more than wins and losses in a given year, too. It goes to how his offenses look, his defenses, special teams, all of it. The Skins haven't exactly been stacked in recent years.

Jay may or may not turn out to be a legit head coach. But I'd kinda like to see the organization not jump to the same conclusions after one year that many of you esteemed gentlemen are making. It's not like this guy inherited a playoff-caliber roster. Truth is he inherited a total cluster**** from top to bottom---not just from the pitiful draft record for a generation, but for the cap hit as well, which eliminated any kind of depth.

Galette is a pro bowl talent and only in his mid-20's.

He was worth the potential downside risk.

Rodriguez is a career nobody at a position where we already have younger guys that don't have the baggage and have more upside.

Are we auditioning him to be our 53rd player?

Frankly, that's not worth any risk.

That seems a little harsh, BD. Rodriquez just needed to be discovered.

Is this the same Bulldog who I seem to remember dancing in the streets a few weeks ago over the new direction we were taking?

Just curious brother.

I like the idea of drafting your talent and supplementing it in free agency rather than what we have seen here in recent years.

So, yes the change in direction is for the better.

It's sustainable.

But in the end you still have to make the right picks and create an atmosphere of competition and excellence for them to develop rather than inertia and a sense of 'woe is me'.

Gruden looked beaten down yesterday after the Galette injury.

He didn't seem to project any confidence the defense was going to overcome this in his presser.

Uh oh. You're not reading his mindset on the other LB's based on his face in a TV presser are ya?

Next you'll be judging his character by the way he moves his eyes at one of those things!

love ya, brother Al
:)

Guess Gruden needs to work on his 'intense' mode at the podium.
He's already lost the happy-go-lucky demeanor no one liked.
He's just at the in between mode now, that'll improve over this year and into next year.:topsy_turvy:

Clearly he needs to adopt the confident, polished, upright and direct podium manner of a real winner.

pg2_a_belichick_300.jpg

And yes, for anyone wondering ... that's a joke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.