• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Skins just got TE Carrier from the 9ers for a 5th round pick.

Unconfirmed:

Matt BarrowsVerified account
‏@mattbarrows Hearing 49ers have traded TE Derek Carrier to Washington for a fifth-round pick.

I'm amazed at how few know the history of this franchise.

Snyder hasn't owned the team for 20+ years. As much as the false assertion is constantly repeated by some.
The franchise has suffered multiple long stretches of sucktitude, before Snyder was ever born.

Smartest fans my ass!

your ass is not only A smart fan but MULTIPLE smart fans?

Now confirmed. Redskins give up a conditional 5th rounder.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 3m3 minutes ago
The #Bears and the #Saints were also in the mix for trading for TE Derek Carrier. #Redskins won out

He is listed at 6-4, 241 pounds.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva · 16m16 minutes ago
Also, #49ers gave Carrier a super cheap extension in March. So #Redskins will have him at near-min base salaries the next 3 seasons

Last edited:
Snyder hasn't owned the team for 20+ years. As much as the false assertion is constantly repeated by some.

This season is going to be his 17th as owner, so we're getting pretty close to that 20-year mark.

Dan's problem has been his infatuation with the big-name coaches without paying attention to the importance of an independent GM. Lets hope the hiring of McCloughan is the start of a new trend.

So, with 2 of our TE's out for the year, and a 3rd one is injured about 80% of the time, we get a guy who is injury-prone ?
At least that's what 49er fans are sayin on that article above, FWIW......

Harry Berezin
I think he's good but he seems pretty fragile

sophrosyne18
agree..He was frequently unable to play and had so-so hands with an inability to block in a dominant fashion.

McCloughan has to give Snyder his 'last' year so Robert can try and show he's not a bust.

I have no doubt this agreement was part of the deal when Scot came here.

Besides, as Scot said last week, this is not going to be a very good team right away.

He needs at least 2 years to rebuild the lines and develop some younger depth.

During that time might as well let Griffin and Cousins play and get their shot.

In the end Gruden, Griffin, Cousins are all holdovers and could likely be gone by this time next year.

I'm curious about something that's been raised a couple of times ... does anyone really think the Skins are calling a different offense for Robert than they are for Cousins and McCoy?

And if they are ... why?

I think it is obvious they are. You can see by the designed roll outs and option plays. Those haven't been called at all for Griffin.

My question is, why not? Why not let Griffin get out on the edge and then...heck, he might even break one off like he did against MN for the game winner.

We're still forcing the square peg into the round hole. Try it fast and hard, and you break stuff.....

Well, I guess it could have gone different. Gruden could have yanked Bob after even the second series, given the way the OL was playing and that Bob wasn't able to deal/adjust. Then we could have been talking today about how badly Bob is being coddled, and how there's no way he can be expected to be ready for Miami if he doesn't get live work on the basic passing thing that everyone knows he needs to work on, and maybe even how stupid the team was for exposing any QB to that unstoppable onslaught ...

Honestly, I don't think more then two or three members here would have been having a discussion about Robert getting coddled and such. Weather it was on him or not, he shouldn't have been on the field any longer. Evaluate the rookies, and work out the rest during the season. Nobody expects to win it all this year, so why take a chance of killing the guy, that if injured seriously and wound up missing the season, we're on the hook for the money next year. Never mind caring about his health just because he's another human getting the piss beat out of him. Gruden screwed up last night, and there's really no denying it. He should have pulled Robert.

He got hurt falling down trying to recover his own unforced fumble while bailing prematurely on a pocket, brother. I just have a hard time assigning responsibility for that to anyone but the player who did it.

IMO, he was hurt before that series, never mind that play. Can I show evidence..... no. Not unless you consider watching his melon bounce off the turf after a vicious hit on the pass to Roberts in the flat. I'm amazed he doesn't have whiplash along with the concussion.

Side Note: Nice to see ya so involved on forum again.

Last edited:
But, Pete, it breaks anyways. The last 2 years he's broken while trying to be a circle. Why not just open the throttle and let it ride?

He was the #5 pick in the draft...maybe he shouldn't have been.

deadhorse.jpg

Just imagine how much fun our line would be without him.

Disagree, Mike. If Bob dumps off that 3rd and 16 and jogs off the field, we're not looking for reasons to blame Gruden. We're talking about Sherff getting blown up on that one pass pro, Willie Smith's next occupation, and whether or not the Skins' starters simply showed up flat and not ready to play last night.

And I didn't suggest he ran the wrong plays, of failed to ID stuff at the line, on ALL the bad plays. Just allowing for the possibility that as in the past with Rob, he's at least partly responsible for the hits he takes with more frequency than any QB I've ever watched.

but in terms of factual evidence - that's precisely what WE DID NOT DO in 2012. everyone was happier than a pig in Giants when Griffin tucked and ran. this takes some getting used to....but my "hypothesis" is that much of the arm chair QB'ing on the I-Net resembles more of a power law (i.e., popularity) distribution than a normal distribution - I-Net opinions are not independent but strongly linked to references in social media (including the media) that people are exposed to. and in no way, shape or form do I think media opinions are based on independent observations - in my mind, I think herd instinct characterizes a large portion of an unthinking, uncreative media.

btw...what is your sample set here? I seem to recall Patrick Ramsey, a very different kind of QB, absolutely getting killed in the pocket. From a purely anecdotal pov I can agree with you that Robert does not seem to sense pressure in the pocket as well as other QBs. The challenge is to explain why and decide how to fix that. I don't know the answers...but I do know some of what strikes me as a reasonable conclusion: throughout his career he was never taught. his skillset was such that his coaches - at least through Shanahan - never really took the time to engrain the skill (i.e., they didn't have to in order for Robert to be successful). Gruden suddenly changed the equation last season - but he's a babe in the woods himself, couldn't rise to the challenge pf being a HC and so Griffin basically had another year on the shelf of getting the training he needed. Venturing off in another direction here....but doesn't anyone else see how much the FO stepped in this last off-eason to relieve Mr Gruden of a heavy set of responsibilities because of his limitations? and if one accepts that observation, then it is natural to wonder "well....what other outcomes from last season's performance can be partially explained by Coach Gruden's limitations?" the irony is that while most seem fixated on Griffin's short-comings, there is comparatively little analysis (beyond some glib observations about presence with the press) on the mechanics of Gruden's weaknesses and overall team performance.

here's another left field thought (also unsupported by fact!): I continue to believe that Gruden and others are never going to overcome the fundamental problem of screwing the round Griffin into the proverbial square hole - I do think, however, think that a unique coach like Kelly....would find a way to make Griffin successful

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.