• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

But what is there to be self aware about? It was an innocent comment (we all agreed) that was twisted, chopped, and spit out for the world to use. He didn't just say he was the best...he explained why everyone thinks that. I'd put more blame on the mediots/fans for buying in to it than the guy who just said he needs to believe he's the best and has to go prove it.

I don't wanna beat this horse too much. I know some love how gruden is during press conferences and some don't. Some take what I say with a grain of salt and some get insulted. I guess it's a matter of perspective and what you're looking to see.

I got you, and you're right, we all know it was taken out of context, but he said it. He qualified it, but you KNOW that's going to be left out. Next time... just don't ever use those words in that context. Say something like "I believe I have the ability to be successful and I work toward that every day, to one day be the best." Same message, different order of words, different result... that's all i'm saying.

Whether we like it or not Mike, at some level Griffin and every one of us owns some responsibility for how our words are perceived. I might not mean to sexually harass someone. But if my words are perceived as 'sexual' that is a problem and I need to adjust my behavior if I don't want to be perceived that way. Believe me, at heart I am a Libertarian and we all have the right to say what we want. But we also don't live in a bubble and our words are only half of the communication process - how they are received is the other half and we are not powerless in delivering words more carefully. That's true for all of us - at work, at home, and even on message boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh, I'm not gonna get all worked up about this.
Just another Rinse & Repeat of the same old media tactics.
I just hope RG uses the bashing against him, as extra motivation to prove them all wrong.
Something good can come out of all this.
The ball is in RG's court now, literally.
Or, RG's field, to be truly literal

Last edited:
Whether we like it or not Mike, at some level Griffin and every one of us owns some responsibility for how our words are perceived. I might not mean to sexually harass someone. But if my words are perceived as 'sexual' that is a problem and I need to adjust my behavior if I don't want to be perceived that way. Believe me, at heart I am a Libertarian and we all have the right to say what we want. But we also don't live in a bubble and our words are only half of the communication process - how they are received is the other half and we are not powerless in delivering words more carefully. That's true for all of us - at work, at home, and even on message boards.

I won't argue any of that...but how is someone supposed to not be taken the "wrong way" when its someone like Griffin? We aren't talking about a auto repair store, we aren't talking about a health care facility. Griffin is in the NFL and everything he says makes top stories on Google News, PFTMZ, Facebook, and whatever other rag media is out there. There is no way any of us would have just read that comment and thought differently or badly of it had it been someone else.

"I assume everybody thinks they're a top-five quarterback," Flacco said when asked where he thinks he ranks among NFL quarterbacks. "I mean, I think I'm the best. I don't think I'm top five, I think I'm the best. I don't think I'd be very successful at my job if I didn't feel that way. I mean, c'mon? That's not really too tough of a question.

"That doesn't mean that things are going to work out that way. It just means that's the way it is -- that's the way I feel that it is and that's the way I feel it should be."

"I consider myself in that class," said Eli Manning, the MVP of Super Bowl XLII. "Tom Brady is a great quarterback, he's a great player and what you've seen with him is he's gotten better every year. He started off winning championships and I think he's a better quarterback now than what he was, in all honesty, when he was winning those championships.

This is a mindframe these guys get in to and have to be in so they can step up on the main stage and win. This is him telling people he believes he is back and to watch out because he is going to come out proving it. If this was 2012 nobody would have said a word. His body may have been broken down but his mind and spirit are still intact and I appreciate that. He hasn't been broken spiritually by the mediots and noise.

In 2012 - he was one of the best QBs in the league - that's why it wouldn't have caused a ripple. I hear you. But if you and I know this about the media, Griffin knows it too.

In 2012 - he was one of the best QBs in the league - that's why it wouldn't have caused a ripple. I hear you. But if you and I know this about the media, Griffin knows it too.

That's what I'm trying to say... he needs to know that his words are going to be spun, so the less he gives them the spin the better.

This is not at all his 'fault' but more of an instance that with a little bit of understanding it can be prevented (for the most part).

I guess I just dont hold anything against the man for being honest, humble, and setting his sights high. Its also who I use the terms "mediots" and "PFTMZ" I try to be above that nonsense and just read what they had to say.

The only thing I would be concerned about over this latest episode of What Rob Said is if it served to piss off the locker room, and had a negative effect on his or the teams' development. I'd like to think that all the whispers we've heard over the years about how he's not particularly well liked and/or respected has either been false all along, or, if true, that it isn't a hindrance NOW that he's obviously working hard and making progress.

I'm guessing more than one player/coach at Redskins Park this week had similar reactions to the news that I think many of us had:

Geez, Rob. Again?

Hopefully he'll play well Thursday night, and we'll be able to sneak in a few days of parsing his play on the field, instead of whether or not something the man said matters more.

in a related story...how come no one is zero'ing in on what Cooley said yesterday? now that was clearly divisive...and intentional. he stated...vis his comeback...that 3 of 4 redskin FO types were onboard but one was strongly opposed. say what? you want back on the team....or may simply keep to the locker-room...and you want to publicly point fingers like that?!!!!

cmon Capt Chaos....grow up.

Chris seemed a bit more than childish in his comments yesterday. I'm thinking he made up that 3/4 nonsense, but that's just me. He knows no one is going to comment on it and even McLovin laughed it off. There was realistically zero interest. What was worse was his comment about being better than the TE's currently on the 'Skins' roster. Seriously, Chris... ? Not like you got quicker or even taken an NFL hit over the last few years.

Nick

I never saw a guy that at 25 had already talked this much but done so little.

Griffin is lucky he is playing now.

Old school players in the 80s would have chewed this guy's ass.

partly there with ya Boone. that becomes an untenable principle if there are no standards. which is precisely what is happening these days - more as a power lever for ideology than anything else.

Apparently the Redskins didn't like what he said (well at least not how it was reported) because that gag order just came down. This guy Hubboch looks like he got screwed and isn't happy about it.

Redskins pour gas on fire created from RGIII interview

eh...the same media who can't wait for the next round of pounding the team over its name? you don't believe that this is only about griffin do ya?

the media has just about succeeded in digging its own grave over the last decade or so. it's unfortunate. they had an important role in society at one time.

eh...the same media who can't wait for the next round of pounding the team over its name? you don't believe that this is only about griffin do ya?

the media has just about succeeded in digging its own grave over the last decade or so. it's unfortunate. they had an important role in society at one time.

Oh god no.. this guy works for a NY based paper too. I'd imagine it would have been a flame job if he had gotten to talk to him anyways...

Except Joey t talked as much shit. Social media just wasn't as popular

Joey "Mouth that Roared" Theismann talked a blue streak, but I don't recall him ever being particularly me-oriented. With him it was more about listening to him rejoice in the sound of his own voice as he gave rambling, three-and-four-paragraph essay answers to yes or no questions.

Kinda like his broadcasting style, now that I think of it.

I guess I don't see one as worse than the other. Just the availability of his quotes that are different

I guess I don't see one as worse than the other. Just the availability of his quotes that are different

And the cynical, spin oriented, drama based, what can I do to stir the pot media mentality that is the generation we live in.

Different times. In Joe's day, you could say exactly what Rob did and maybe 500 people would read about it in the Post the next day. And maybe one would write a snarky letter to the editor that exactly noboby would read. Today, it's instant viral news because it's low-hanging fruit. Also, Joe T quarterbacked a championship contender.

Again though, I really don't care about what Rob said unless it's causing problems in the locker room. End of the day I just wish he'd listen to Crash Davis counseling Nuke Laloosh on talking to the media.

May be. But I'd also bet half of those guys would go postal, on live TV, if they had to face todays media douchebags, 24/7. And they'd saying the same things, and worse, than a lot of players today do.

It just is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.