• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Well, I take it like this.

Like myself, I usually say what a I damn well please. Cause I know I can handle any repercussions that might come along because of it.

And I don't give a hoot in hell ho doesn't like it, or agree with me.

I don't conform, (board rules not withstanding :) ), to be liked, or act/say what others believe I should.

Like me, or don't. I'll be fine either way.

Me thinks Robert feels much the same. Obviously, I can respect that.

The problem with that view is that gaffes like this one do have repercussions Ax. They create drama, distraction, more media negativity, and may even undermine player/coach relationships since coaches have undoubtedly spoken to Griffin repeatedly about being smarter with his media interactions and social media posts. I'm not saying this instance is some huge deal. But cumulatively it has an effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely... I also think a good number of my customers are clueless parts changers that don't deserve to hold a wrench, let alone turn one for a commission. I don't care if they know that I feel that way, but I keep my mouth shut because it means it would negatively reflect the company. That if they stop ordering parts, it's going to have a negative effect on all my counter people who they call and order from.

I'm not even being critical of his message, because the message he was trying to get across is 100% the right thing to believe and say. The problem is the delivery. The words "I'm the best qb in the league" regardless of context is an open door for a flaming. Had he said "I'm working to become the best" or "My goal is to be the best" is a 100% different interpretation.

You're talking about the difference between telling someone they're an idiot while in customer service and being honest when asked a question about your abilities. Pretty big difference there, imo.

He didn't say that he was the best in the league ONLY...he said it and followed it up with explaining why every athlete feels that way and why he knows he has to prove it. This is like me dissecting your quote to somehow make it seem like you the people and want to hit them with wrenches. It's not what you said nor it is what he did.

I'm not with ya on this one Boone. When you look at what he actually said there is nothing at all wrong with it, quite the opposite in fact. The sticking point here is you and others critical seem to think he needs to bend over backwards to phrase things carefully or not comment at all in order to avoid having people flat out lie about what he said. To me life's too short, say what you have to say, if they can't accurately represent that then screw em.

This is pretty close to my take. I know way too many people who just would rather not give credence to those that would always choose to twist their words, and act as if they weren't there. The one thing I would say in favor of Boone's way of thinking is if the team is being hurt by the people making a fuss over an out of context quote.

It doesn't seem like that's the case on this one, they are more likely to have an us vs them mentality with this sort of thing, because the media does it ALL THE TIME, to the point of ridiculousness. I just start thinking how he could be talking about his child and say something like "I don't like it when my baby cries, I just want to make it feel better" and they could take the part before the comma and run with how he hates his baby. Just obnoxious stuff really.

I'm not with ya on this one Boone. When you look at what he actually said there is nothing at all wrong with it, quite the opposite in fact. The sticking point here is you and others critical seem to think he needs to bend over backwards to phrase things carefully or not comment at all in order to avoid having people flat out lie about what he said. To me life's too short, say what you have to say, if they can't accurately represent that then screw em.

He did say exactly what the media is reporting he said. He tried to qualify it, and yeah, I believe he meant something entirely different than what it is being twisted to represent. But that was a dumbass Joe Biden thing to say :) I had to read his comments several times myself to figure out what he was trying to say...

No-he doesn't have to bend over backwards- he can just keep on having diarrhea of the mouth and being cavalier with his word choices and create unnecessary distractions for his team. I guarantee you his coaches wish he would learn how to say the same vanilla shit other NFL QBs say every day :)

Well, I take it like this.

Like myself, I usually say what a I damn well please. Cause I know I can handle any repercussions that might come along because of it.

And I don't give a hoot in hell ho doesn't like it, or agree with me.

I don't conform, (board rules not withstanding :) ), to be liked, or act/say what others believe I should.

Like me, or don't. I'll be fine either way.

Me thinks Robert feels much the same. Obviously, I can respect that.

You and Jeff George. :)

Look, this isn't THAT big a deal. I know what the kid meant, and what he meant was a good thing, not a bad thing.

That's not the problem. The problem is he has to know how this is going to get out. That there's a difference between uttering the words "I have to approach this game as if I'm the best QB in the league" and "I think I'm the best QB in the league."

The buzz around this silliness may not hurt the team at all, but it definitely won't help the team. Best case scenario is no effect.

Griffin has to be cognizant of stuff like this. He's not a rookie.

I react to these kinds of things not because they are a big deal, but because I want him to succeed and I think this stuff gets in his head. I have one around some to Elephant's view that he is not strong mentally and he has shown he does not perform well in an environment swirling with drama and controversy. So i would prefer he not self-create it, that's all.

And as usual, Henry is saying it better than me :)

I feel like I'm the best member on the site, and I have to go out and show that. Any poster at any level, if they concede to someone else, they're not a top competitor, they're not trying to be the best that they can be.
There's guys on this site that have done way more than me. But I still view myself as the best because that's what I work toward every single day.

You're talking about the difference between telling someone they're an idiot while in customer service and being honest when asked a question about your abilities. Pretty big difference there, imo.

He didn't say that he was the best in the league ONLY...he said it and followed it up with explaining why every athlete feels that way and why he knows he has to prove it. This is like me dissecting your quote to somehow make it seem like you the people and want to hit them with wrenches. It's not what you said nor it is what he did.

At the core of it, I don't always speak my opinion based on the fact that there are other people involved and it negatively effects them. THIS negatively effects his teammates whether we want it to or not. Opinions are opinions... if that's how he feels, GREAT, he SHOULD feel that way. You have to reach a point where what you say publicly and the effect it has on other people needs to be factored in.

Again, the MAIN point I was making was that his delivery is off, and I wish he would seriously work on HOW he says things. He's been around long enough to understand which words are going to be used against him, and what he said is going to be chopped up, cut up, spun, or reported. He needs to know what to say better then this.

Last edited:
That is the problem with technology today....so many different people have access to whatever they want that you get 10000 different opinions and takes on things said.

We all pretty much agree that he didn't mean anything ill by it, we all know he didn't say anything wrong. We even all know what he was saying was right to a point. But he set himself up for it.

Maybe his teammates will understand this as well and know how the mediots are and ignore it

That's a fair assessment Mike - and nicely said ST.

How does this negatively affect his teammates?

Because today, in most interviews, I'd imagine the subject is going to come up... forget the fact that Morgan Moses is playing well enough to start at RT. Forget Jones and his strong preseason game 1 showing. Forget the fact that Preston Smith stepped up on defense. ALL the positives over the last week have been now supplanted by him saying this... spun story or not. It's going to be brought up no matter what.

Frigging spell correct, or as my phone would like to say Frog go spit rectal.

Because today, in most interviews, I'd imagine the subject is going to come up... forget the fact that Morgan Moses is playing well enough to start at RT. Forget Jones and his strong preseason game 1 showing. Forget the fact that Preston Smith stepped up on defense. ALL the positives over the last week have been now supplanted by him saying this... spun story or not. It's going to be brought up no matter what.
How is that on Griffin? The mediots could and should still talk about all stories. It's the fault of society for wanting the gossip, craving the drama, and feeding in to this. He just gave an answer to a simple question.

Based on past discussions, fan was thinking my line of thought was that Gruden and Griffin are linked to each other's success or failure. There probably is some truth to that, but I am not sold on Gruden. He just doesn't strike me as head coach material anymore.

I understand the opinion, but barring an absolute disaster by Gruden, I just don't see the FO giving him just 2 years to prove himself, especially with the huge mess he inherited....and especially considering that giving coaches "short strings" is one thing I think Snyder has learned from.
He would have to be a complete and utter failure in 2015, and do worse than 4-12, or do something terribly scandalous, in order to get fired after this season, IMO.

You can tell by the remainder of the interview what he was trying to say, but it absolutely came across horribly wrong. This again is one of those things that if it was an isolated mis-interpretation, then it would be no big deal, but it's been a chain of these sound bites that have bitten him. He hasn't learned his lesson to just be vanilla, give a long answer with no information, be humble, and leave it alone. He needs a speech coach or something to teach him out to interact with media, because (while I know there's no negativity, malice, or venom in it) he always finds a way to give them just enough fuel to make him a headline on ESPN. Part of being an NFL QB is know what to say, when to say it, and to WHO to say it to.

I think you're right....but I have the opposite take.

the current context is what we all know it to be: griffin either produces wins early by maturing as a QB or he is done. that's all that matters.

I just got through listening to the radio hosts on a station some listen to for about a half hour. I cannot relate how livid I am with these people. I have adjusted my pov and agree with a claim Dead Money posted that I have resisted for a long, long time. Overt or unaware, these announcers are racists. it's long past high time to hold these faux analysts accountable. their analysis is always incomplete, loaded with unproven generalizations and larded with hidden assumptions that pre-ordain the conclusions. these people are obsessing on everything Griffin says and does. it has gone beyond the point of reason. they also encourage their audience to do the same....I listened to a series of arm chair psycho-babble by folks who are not in the middle of the problem space, not in the meeting rooms, not even in the locker-room. let's call it like it is: who is trumpeting the loudest? a bunch of white boys making a nice penny in a medium largely dominated by other white boys. if I had more time I'd start a web site that documented the poor journalistic habits and bombastic reporting which would lead to some sort of semi-organized boycott. these people need to be held accountable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the opinion, but barring an absolute disaster by Gruden, I just don't see the FO giving him just 2 years to prove himself, especially with the huge mess he inherited....and especially considering that giving coaches "short strings" is one thing I think Snyder has learned from.
He would have to be a complete and utter failure in 2015, and do worse than 4-12, or do something terribly scandalous, in order to get fired after this season, IMO.

You may be right. Let it be recorded: Gruden is a rank amateur. I wince half the time he opens his mouth - mis-pronounced words, poor grammar. he may be a good offensive mind. he lacks gravitas and the "it" factor that typifies, at least in my mind, the upper echelon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.