• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I'm telling you, the NFL has seen what happened to the NBA and doesn't want the league to be about the players. They want it to be about the team. These are all efforts to make the specific player less noticeable to keep the emphasis on the organizations/teams. The more generic the players look the less like people are to focus on specific players.

I'm telling you, the NFL has seen what happened to the NBA and doesn't want the league to be about the players. They want it to be about the team. These are all efforts to make the specific player less noticeable to keep the emphasis on the organizations/teams. The more generic the players look the less like people are to focus on specific players.

What happened to the NBA? They went through a down period after Mike retired, but are coming back big time now.

I agree with your post, btw, I am debating the NFL's motives and operation, not yours.

And all of that to say, fwiw, that it chaps my ass to no end that the salsa dance won't incur a penalty. Seriously pisses me off.

What happened to the NBA? They went through a down period after Mike retired, but are coming back big time now.

I agree with your post, btw, I am debating the NFL's motives and operation, not yours.

And all of that to say, fwiw, that it chaps my ass to no end that the salsa dance won't incur a penalty. Seriously pisses me off.

so, you don't think there is any element of political correctness motivating Gooddell?

What happened is that all the power transferred from the owners to players. Look at their contracts compared to the NFL. The NFL is, or at least has been, the exact opposite. You don't root for players in the NFL, you root for teams. There are a few exceptions, but not many when you consider the % of total players in the league.

The NBA made the decision to make the sport about the individual players. It works for them in terms of marketing and selling gear, but it also gave the players the power in contract negotiations.

Look at how bad the NFL owners screwed the players over in the last CBA agreement. It's clear the owners currently hold all the power. They want to keep it that way.

so, you don't think there is any element of political correctness motivating Gooddell?

Fansince, sometimes I look at Goodell as the NFL's version of Vlad Putin in miniature-it's all about the power. Play whatever pieces you can to expand your power, consolidate it, achieve hegemony over the activities and structure and especially rule-making. Appearances be damned.

Until the owners revolt he's sitting pretty.

I would think you are probably correct. In the NBA, it is much easier to market individual players, as they are so visible as individuals. The NFL players are hidden behind pads, unis, facemasks, etc. Their only way to express individuality really is to do a dance, have a unique facemask, etc. I would guess your ideas about the owners wanting to keep leverage is probably accurate.

An interesting outcome of that however, is the star players. While a guy like Rak may be able to get local, POSSIBLY regional attention, nationally he will never be as well known as the QBs. Griff on the other hand is going to be known nationally and internationally, particularly when we start winning Super Bowls again :D. IF Griff turns out to be the next marketing incarnation of Peyton Manning (big if, yes), then a VERY select few are going to have enormous amounts of power, and I'm not sure there is anything the owners can do about it.

Not sure how that all plays out, or what it means, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I would think you are probably correct. In the NBA, it is much easier to market individual players, as they are so visible as individuals. The NFL players are hidden behind pads, unis, facemasks, etc. Their only way to express individuality really is to do a dance, have a unique facemask, etc. I would guess your ideas about the owners wanting to keep leverage is probably accurate.

An interesting outcome of that however, is the star players. While a guy like Rak may be able to get local, POSSIBLY regional attention, nationally he will never be as well known as the QBs. Griff on the other hand is going to be known nationally and internationally, particularly when we start winning Super Bowls again :D. IF Griff turns out to be the next marketing incarnation of Peyton Manning (big if, yes), then a VERY select few are going to have enormous amounts of power, and I'm not sure there is anything the owners can do about it.

Not sure how that all plays out, or what it means, but it's interesting nonetheless.

You're exactly right, and look at how much it's costing owners to deal with just QB's having that sort of recognition. We saw 3 or 4 QB's sign 100+ million dollar contracts this year - two of which have a combined 12 years of NFL experience, 9 total playoff games, 2 total playoff wins.

Imagine if they had that problem at every position...

Tuck is good, but I bet more people could describe his facemask than come close to naming his total number of sacks.

This goes back to when they made it a penalty for removing your helmet on the field... Because people were starting to see the players faces after big plays and make connections to the player.

While Goodell is a complete idiot, the owners are very smart and know what they're doing.

While Goodell is a complete idiot, the owners are very smart and know what they're doing.

Yeah. They're not kajillionaires for nothing. My wife has said for years that one of the requirements to attend college on a academic scholarship should be some business classes and some public speaking classes. Both are great ideas, because every time they open their mouths during collective bargaining sessions, I cringe a little. The owners know they can sit back and bleed the players slowly and eventually get whatever they want.

Fansince, sometimes I look at Goodell as the NFL's version of Vlad Putin in miniature-it's all about the power. Play whatever pieces you can to expand your power, consolidate it, achieve hegemony over the activities and structure and especially rule-making. Appearances be damned.

Until the owners revolt he's sitting pretty.

agree. I also think there is some New Yawk/East Coast politics behind some of this. He made a point from day 1 of increased attention to player actions on and off the field. taunting, the supposed reason for these rules, strikes me as a very subjective PC kinda thing.

then, there is this whole matter of the law suit. Gooddell is taking every opportunity to look like "the good guy"

The reschedule the comcast thing at fedex field for tomorrow.
My boss called out sick with a fever today.
If he's sick tomorrow I can't go :(

this thing :)
i just got invited to a comcast business promotion at fedex field with doc walker and chris cooley, lunch in the owners club area and tours of the facility including locker room.

and i have to listen to comcast's promotions on their business services (which admittedly would be nice to know), so i get to write it off as a work trip.

**** yeah

Postponed. I'll have to reregister when a new date is picked. hopefully it doesn't fill up before i get a slot :(

I'm willing to bet I wont be able to go. That's just the way things go for me. :(

****ing Mike Wise.... **** Mike Wise. Seriously. Yeah that was him asking Robert AGAIN today about friction , apologies, responsibility for his injury blah blah blah. I swear to Christ I hate that man.

Looks like they're putting in new seats in the lower end of the end zone that the tunnels are on. The color looks great on the new seats.

Looks like they're putting in new seats in the lower end of the end zone that the tunnels are on. The color looks great on the new seats.

Where are the pics???? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.