• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Sean Taylor was WIDELY accused of being a 'thug.' So was Deangelo Hall, Desean Jackson maybe? Albert Haynesworth stepped on another player's head.... Fred Smoot got caught on a boat with a bunch of strippers.
Ta dah...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sean Taylor was WIDELY accused of being a 'thug.' So was Deangelo Hall, Desean Jackson maybe? Albert Haynesworth stepped on another player's head.... Fred Smoot got caught on a boat with a bunch of strippers.

Those are good points....but maybe not the same.

D Hall, Jackson and Smoot....no violence.

Al and Sean had some violence.

This guy really seems to have been out of control in several aspects of his life though. He's got just about every base covered.

Junior Galette cited for driving on suspended license | ProFootballTalk

Sean had a dui charge, too. He was able to change himself with a chance. How come you can't just say "I agree" and not try to play both sides?

Sean had a dui charge, too. He was able to change himself with a chance. How come you can't just say "I agree" and not try to play both sides?

I like the signing a lot. I hope he changes.

Just saying.....he's had several chances already. It's not like this is his second.

Well here's to hoping Baker and Knighton can keep his head level. Sometimes having a couple of your boys around you makes all the difference in the world.

I agree. I want to see him get 15 sacks this year and terrorize opposing QBs. We may have a great front 7.

That's fine - except he's not Sean Taylor, he's not Deangelo Hall, and he's not any of those other guys (I'm not sure I'd have thrown either Haynesworth in that mix, because he WAS a waste of human flesh, and honestly the jury is still out on Desean). Galette's been booted off every team he's ever been on. He's assaulted a woman, whether some want to justify it as self defense (pretty funny argument considering his physical stature and power and that of his violent 'attackers'), and he's been a douche to his own teammates and previous franchise, so much so , the cut bait on the guy despite his impressive play and ability.

For those that think this is a 'good move', that's your right. But lets not pretend this is a good guy. If Sean Taylor was a special human being, let's recognize that most of these types of guys never were Sean Taylor and never will be.

Not picking on you ST - you have every right to your opinion as do the rest of us. He's a Redskin now. I don't like it but it is what it is.

No doubt Boone.. like I said, I'm not saying he's a 'good dude.' I also wasn't comparing him to Sean Taylor, I was responding to a statement about him being the biggest 'thug' we've signed in 20 years... that's what ALL of those examples were based upon. Not that he's on any of their levels, just that we've signed other 'thugs' to our team.

My questions to those defending the move are, what do Redskins fans owe this guy? What has he done prior to now to earn any benefit of the doubt? So what if the kid can play at a high level, if he's a bad guy does that not matter? And since when is it the Redskins job to give troubled players a chance to rehab their reputation? The Cowboys and their fans say the same kinds of things and do the same kind of rationalizing.

We can respectfully disagree, but I guess I'm at a loss as to why anyone would feel confident a guy who's been a turd everywhere he's been to date is going to suddenly turn into citizen of the year.

My questions to those defending the move are, what do Redskins fans owe this guy? What has he done prior to now to earn any benefit of the doubt? So what if the kid can play at a high level, if he's a bad guy does that not matter? And since when is it the Redskins job to give troubled players a chance to rehab their reputation? The Cowboys and their fans say the same kinds of things and do the same kind of rationalizing.

We can respectfully disagree, but I guess I'm at a loss as to why anyone would feel confident a guy who's been a turd everywhere he's been to date is going to suddenly turn into citizen of the year.

I guess it's because I've seen players go to other teams who have the talent but not the 'character' and they end up being pivotal parts of the team. There is very little risk here. Why not like the fact that we're taking chances that we've never taken in the past? Or have confidence in McCloughan that he can handle it? He's got better output then Haynesworth, and is costing us $575K this season. If he turns it around... we have a legit stud. If he continues down this road, we let him walk and get a draft pick for it. Its refreshing to see our GM take a flier on a guy who is costing us damn near nothing, but has the ability to be a pro-bowler.

This guy is likely gonna be a headache but at least he's cheap. It would be nice if he learns to keep his mouth shut and his head down and does his job, though I'm not sure the Redskins have a sterling reputation when it comes to rehabilitating troublemakers from other teams. We'll see.

That's all football-specific. And yeah, I know that's the whole point of the NFL, getting better and winning. But I want to feel good about the guys I root for on 'my team'. For me, it's not about 'risk', it's about being proud of the guys who got us to the Promised Land if we ever do reach it again, not just because they can play great football, but because of who they are.

I'm not saying anyone is beyond redemption, but I see nothing in this guy to indicate he's going to pursue it. We'll see who viewed this correctly down the road, so no point beating it into the ground further.

That's all football-specific. And yeah, I know that's the whole point of the NFL, getting better and winning. But I want to feel good about the guys I root for on 'my team'. For me, it's not about 'risk', it's about being proud of the guys who got us to the Promised Land if we ever do reach it again, not just because they can play great football, but because of who they are.

I'm not saying anyone is beyond redemption, but I see nothing in this guy to indicate he's going to pursue it. We'll see who viewed this correctly down the road, so no point beating it into the ground further.
I am definitively in Camp Boone, on this. I wanted the bunk by the window, but Goaldy beat me too it.

A point I would like to add is, for all those saying it's a "low cost/high reward" move. Clearly, as has been alluded to, financially speaking, it would APPEAR so. Assuming whatever infraction he may commit, leading to his dismissal, will be minor.

But what if it's major? Larry Little 2.0? Ray Rice Part Deux? Aron Hernandez the 13th? It doesn't take much imagination to see the potential downside is huge. Maybe not to the salary cap. But the character cap would be blown up for years. With a far greater cost than the $36mil hosing we got from the NFL La Cosa Nostra.

I realize it could happen to damn near anybody. But the term "repeat offender" wasn't pulled out of somebody's ass. It applies often. I find the risk unnecessary.
I'll pull for the guy to turn his life around, and become a good man, and teammate. But I wouldn't bet a nickel on it. I'm not more excited about my team, with him on it. We'd be fine without him. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a major embarrassment to the organization. Or worse.

After viewing the instagram photos it does appear that it was him at the beach.

Looking at available stuff about his recent alleged transgressions, he does get into volatile situations more than one would like. The only thing I'd say is that getting out of his home turf should help. Charges dropped, however, so it's back to the wealthy bonehead athlete he-done-me-wrong and I'm gonna get paid he-said-she-said civil suit crap... not saying he didn't do 'bad stuff', it's just we've seen it before played out in the court of PO.

Maybe Scot will do a 'Dez Bryant' on him (or an ankle bracelet).

Like Silent, I've also witnessed personally how stuff like this happens... except in my case it involved my mid 80's dad (a ret. USAF Col.) a parking lot fender bender that escalated into a civil suit, claims of bodily harm and a miscarriage brought by the plaintiff. After a year of harassment by her lawyer and dropping the claim from $75K to $9,999 it finally came to court..ruled in my dad's favor. Without getting specific, it was apparent to all that it was nothing more than a money grab...in fact the poor sots car, borrowed by her and damaged by my dad, didn't even get paid for by USAA, they immediately canceled all repair funds when the big claim was made.

If nothing else, the media and fans in this town will rip JR to shreds if he gets out of line.

After witnessing the bashing of good guys for poor on the field performance and mild mannered electronic innuendo off the field, it will be a grand spectacle to observe how a 'thug' get his.

For now, I'll continue hang out on the fence and see how it's pans out.

While it's not a bad thing by any means, this is pretty funny. The PFT version will be 'Griffin fails to open car door for wife, displays selfishness and ego!'

Garcon SHOULD be displaying leadership - he's a starting veteran WR for crying out loud. Man is the bar set low for this team. I enjoyed the laugh though. I can't wait for tomorrow's headline 'Redskins show up for team meeting - display commitment!' :)

After seeing what you believe he did with your fundraiser for that family, he's one of my favorites.

Last year it felt like "everyone was looking out for themselves" on this team. I want to see that change this year.

Yeah, I'm just having fun, every detail matters in reality and seeing guys exhibiting leadership is a good thing. And you are 100% right - what a nice thing he did for a stranger - that says a lot about who Garcon really is :cheers:

Plenty 20+ year olds need structure and guidance. his choices when emotional obviously reflect on maturity. on the flip side...no one seems to note whether the context in NO mattered - we all know that organization was at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the choices it made in the recent past. who was there that had any moral authority?

he has friends in the locker-room who can exercise leadership and control. up to the player in the end to decide whether he is a man or a man-child. we'll find out if things go South in terms of on-field performance for the team as a whole. something tells me that's not going to happen. this may be a "gelling" season.....but I expect the on-field product (and record) to be orders of magnitude better than the junk we have observed for the last two years. that'll reduce some of the pressure. his issues seem to be off the field - which is where his friends come in.

it's a risk....but a reasonable one IMO. this aint TO. the problem isn't team chemistry - it's personal temper control and decision-making....MATURITY.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.