• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I don't understand how some have drawn up a conclusion so quickly on Griffin and Cousins. I understand the frustration of being a Skins fan in general. It has been a long dry spell. We've been looking for a qb since Rypien. I think we've been looking for an Oline as well. Jansen/Samuels were a nice peek at what it could look like.
I've always been in the camp that believes you build your Oline then get your QB...I still feel that way. I am unsteady about the Oline...who knows? They could be pretty good...then again paper thin on starting talent. We need to be blessed by the injury gods to see a real turnaround. But lets not forget Dallas doesn't have a dominant defense, Neither do the Eagles or Giants.
Being a young Qb under those conditions is a brutal affair. It crushes most young prospects and it may have done the same to our guys. We will soon find out. If the Oline can elevate itself into a top 10 unit. I like Griffin's chances...If Griffin washes out. I hope it's early on to give Cousins his one last shot. Those interceptions are forgivable playing behind that Oline.

He didn't even make the squad here. Mr "I'll only play for the redskins" sure has changed...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I say power to him. Life moves pretty fast ... you don't get swole and try out for the team once in a while, you might miss it.

Makes me think of the Ali/Holmes fight. Er um, massacre.

Stick to running your mouth Cooley. Running routes is over.

I don't know how well its going to transfer on to the field, but Hatcher is a freaking workout machine right now. Dude is getting big and strong. He posts a new video almost daily of his workouts.

I say power to him. Life moves pretty fast ... you don't get swole and try out for the team once in a while, you might miss it.

Agreed. I doubt anyone signs him, but why not try to get a ring in New England or with a contender?

In El's defense, he's not the only person that feels that way about RG3. At least some opposing coaches and executives feel the same:

For now, though, the opinions of Griffin are low. I’m not going to share everything Sando learned -- it’s available on the Insider’s page (one theme of evaluators centered on his personality). But there were a couple quotes that jumped out, starting with one person identified as an offensive coach who said, "He is done. The reason is, the injury slowed his legs, and his ego will not allow him to hit rock bottom and actually grind his way back up the right way."

Washington Redskins' RG III gets low ranking from NFL execs, coaches - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN

This article is mainly a rehash of previous opinions, with the exception that this is from the professionals--opposing coaches and executives. They rank him low, and cite his personality as a problem.

To me, he seems like he's snapped out of it--unlike after last preseason when was in outer space about his problems.

This may also partly explain why Gruden was so hard on him. Maybe people just need to hammer him until he wakes up.

Cherry picked quotes, of course.

Not the quotes that say "is it fair to out him behind two rookies? No."

Don't use any of THOSE quotes.

Cherry picked quotes, of course.

Not the quotes that say "is it fair to out him behind two rookies? No."

Don't use any of THOSE quotes.

Where is that quote? Or are you just paraphrasing?

Do you mean this quote? "I think it’s difficult to place Griffin behind two rookies, but if someone thinks he’s finished and won’t develop, then they could make a case that’s where he belongs; the rookies are fresh clay and have a chance to be molded."

Yes, Mike. I was paraphrasing.

here are more quotes:

Does that mean he’ll fail this season? No. Doesn’t matter what’s said in the offseason; it only matters what occurs during the season. So Griffin can prove everyone wrong. He still owns a strong arm and he’s still a fast quarterback, even if he’s not quite as elusive as his rookie season

but the best thing he said was this

It’s time to start training camp.

this same ol argument is tiresome.

I love the talent additions. But I think most *analysts* (including the author of the article you linked McD5) miss the most important factor, which Om alluded to earlier - total defensive coaching staff turnover and a completely new scheme. What scheme a DC runs and how well it fits with the talent on hand is probably the most important determinant of overall defensive success - not always the talent at hand. Obviously you have to have both. But I am tempering my expectations based on a couple of factors - #1 being that I feel Joe Barry was the 3rd or 4th best DC available and his hiring based on almost total lack of NFL success in the DC role still strikes me as puzzling. Add to the mix Perry Fewell and Robb Akey, and I don't think anyone knows what we really have in terms of defensive coaching.

Based on adding some big bodies, a more 'release the hounds of hell' approach, and another year to grow for Trent Murphy (who I'm on record stating will be much better than Skins fans believe) and another year to recover for Jason Hatcher, and the Skins are going to have a fierce pass rush. I'll make a couple of very bold predictions - Ryan Kerrigan is going to break both the single game sack record (currently 4 held by Orakpo and Ken Harvey) AND the total seasn sacks record (think it's 18.5 by Dexter) in 2015.

I believe our secondary will continue to improve - as it almost has to - Breeland is the real deal and barring injury he'll be considered a top 5 corner by the end of the 2015 season. But I don't know what to realistically expect with all of the changes at coaching and scheme and not knowing the defensive philosophy and whether we have the guys to carry it off. There will no doubt be a learning curve and some (perhaps many) Haslett-like moments where we all wonder what the coaches are thinking. Overall, I'm excited and bullish on the D this year, but I think we have to be realistic about expectations with such a major overhaul in progress.

Last edited:
I pretty much see the same as Boone except I believe the Barry hire made more sense after some thought. I don't want to rehash too much but most minds thought Fangio(sp) and his other guy(?) were coming as a pair. If so Fangio chose maybe a better fit and passed on us. the Seattle staff were still playing... So Barry was supposed to be an up and comer but flamed out instead at Detroit. He did a solid job at San Diego with limited resources at San Diego...I understand not overreaching on certain up and coming coaches. History has been pretty brutal...Belichick disciples come to mind. Jimmy Johnson's staff is another. I bet he get's them up to speed better than last years unit. I'm already going to say it before it gets started. Preseason games mean diddly squat...The last few years our defense has looked pretty dominant in the preseason...(Brady lights them up pretty good though.) I know that's not relevant but we need to remind ourselves.

Apparently Cooley to the cards is a deal

Apparently Cooley to the cards is a deal
Oh really?
Guess he has that 'I'm Superman' thing going on... hate to see him go elsewhere but we had our fun with him, hope it works out and he gets to play some if that's what he wants to do.

I thought that's what he did in dc. Did shan hate him or something? I remember he tore his knee up on the field and never really came back.

But, honestly, outside of an amazing personality and a few great games, was he really starting material? When you look at the gates, gronks, and graham's does he fit in that category or anywhere near it?

I'd even venture to say Niles is better than him at this point due to age and time off

I always thought Cooley was just an above average TE, not a great one. Even when he made the Pro Bowl, I think a lot of it was based as much on popularity with fans as it was actual skill. That being said, good for him. If he can still play and a team wants to give him a shot, more power to him.

Chris Cooley was a very good TE, he was not elite. But he understood the team he played for and what it meant to raise the level of his play against division rivals. Many of his best games were in the NFC East and his best year as a TE he caught 83 passes. In a 7 years strecth he averaged just under 60 receptions a year and one of those years was only 7 games where he caught 29.

He was damn good, not great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 1, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.