• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

And yeah, Keim by far the most even-keel and reasonable Redskins coverage guy out there. I believe he's accurately describing where the team sits on RG3. Those of you that are still making excuse after excuse for the guy should pay attention to Keim's characterization of how the team feels about him. 2015 is make-or-break for Griffin. Prodce or you're gone. And honestly, that's 100% reasonable. He's had some unfortunate injuries, but he's also had plenty of opportunity to show he's competent, capable, and consistent, and hasn't been able to do that. His play this year needs to be light year's better or he needs to go.

Pittsburgh's teams that went to 3 Super Bowls in the 2000's were anchored in the 3-4 with #1 pick NT Casey Hampton.

His dominance up front set the table for the outside rusher at linebacker in the passing game.

We can't continue to run a defense where the key cogs in terms of positions are being filled with undersized DTs from a 4-3 or guys we pick up off the waiver wire.

At some point you have to make an investment up front.

This is a good year to trade down a few spots and still get that done :D

If we take a qb at #5 I'm going to ****ing flip my lid.

It won't happen. But I'm just implying if one of those 2 QBs drops to us, we need the other team believe we are prepared to draft one and trade post-draft to the highest bidder.

Keim is implying the same thing in the link McD5 posted :)

Lol..I refrain from those links. I agree with you but if we don't trade for more picks or get o/d line I'll shoot a doe

Lol..I refrain from those links. I agree with you but if we don't trade for more picks or get o/d line I'll shoot a doe

Don't expect a trade down. If it happens, great...but I don't believe they're going into the draft believing it will happen. I am sure bases are being covered, but I wouldn't expect it.

Don't expect a trade down. If it happens, great...but I don't believe they're going into the draft believing it will happen. I am sure bases are being covered, but I wouldn't expect it.
Don't expect not to be a chooch.

Choooooooch!!!!

It won't happen. But I'm just implying if one of those 2 QBs drops to us, we need the other team believe we are prepared to draft one and trade post-draft to the highest bidder.

Keim is implying the same thing in the link McD5 posted :)

Severely reaching here....but what if that's the real reason Bob was left off the future family memo or whatever it was? Decoy to entice a QB hungry team on draft day...right before we plunder said team for picks.

Severely reaching here....but what if that's the real reason Bob was left off the future family memo or whatever it was? Decoy to entice a QB hungry team on draft day...right before we plunder said team for picks.

I don't think it was calculated. I do think it shows us that the organization has disconnected itself from player preference, (or at least that's the positive spin I'm going to put on it) and I feel like it means nobody is untouchable. A mentality we've missed for a long time.

So, Cousins is here throwing passes to high school wide outs working with a QB guru Jeff Christensen... may be buying a place here... has family here. Have I mentioned that it's tourist season....... go home all you northern type folks...

Winston is already nicknamed 'JaMarcus 2.0" because he's looking fat as hell.

Bust.

0c4ac59883dfa186a177c6c00342c1e7.jpg

Baaahahahaa!!!!!!

Holy shlitz... he got bigger man boobs then I do, and I'm friggin 53, and lets just say, out of shape.... I got em on the gut :)

Winston is already nicknamed 'JaMarcus 2.0" because he's looking fat as hell.

Bust.

Yeah because Jamarcus Russell won a National Championship competed for a 2nd, won a Heisman Trophy and lost only one game in his collegiate career.

Your hate of Jameis Winston is well known...how about keeping it in the proper forum?

FFS...I might have to call you McD5 2.0 for beating this dead horse, or maybe McD 3.0 since he already named me 2.0.

Last edited:
Don't worry about where i keep things...you can just skip over it if you don't like it. This thread and forum aren't run by you.

I wouldn't advise you start calling anyone out or calling me names at all since we're passing out telling each other what to do and all. Mind your own and I'll do the same.

Of course not. There are no guarantees and uncertainty exists.

Welcome to reality.

There are, however, indicators of the likelihood that the level of uncertainty can be reduced to an acceptably manageable amount and that improvement can be measured. How? Try on the field production both individually and the team as a system.
Nope. There have been misses every year. And there will continue to be. No team/GM is immune to it. It has, or will, happened to everybody that ever picked a player.

You mentioned the concept of "immeasurables". Call it heart, desire, whatever terms you wish to use to express the psychological/emotional/mental aspects of an athlete that contribute to performance. Do they exist? Of course they do. Can they be directly measured? No. But can their contribution be observed without the ability to directly identify and measure them? I think so.

Here's an example. Reed Doughty. No measurements of his athleticism, physical skills, attributes, his speed, quickness, maneuverability, size, weight, strength could have been used in any combination to accurately predict how effective he was as a football player. He was an overachiever in terms of how good he played, how effective a tackler he was, how he pursued the opposition. Attribute, if you wish, his performance above and beyond what you might have thought to the "immeasurables" of heart, desire, motor, whatever you want and I'll be happy to say they played a major part in his play even though they couldn't be measured. What I see, however, is that their effect could be both seen and measured. That was most certainly observable.
You can always see it, after the fact. But there are too many players, that EVERY team/GM in the league think are not worth drafting, that go on to have stellar careers. Even HOF careers. Players that didn't measure up to any criteria that made them a target on someone's draft board. And yet, once they hit the pros, something happened. The "light" went on. Or the inner drive to succeed finally kicked in. All things that are impossible to measure consistently, or reliably.

(As an aside, you know what happens if you have an elite combination of measurable athletic skills combined with a top teir high level of the "immeasurables"? You get a once-a-generation superlative player. You get a Sean Taylor.)
Sean Taylor was indeed, special. His physical attributes were such that teams would overlook his "question marks". Which he did have coming out of college. Nobody "knew" he would embrace his career like he did. The flip side of him is, there are always players, every year, who's physical ability, and college gameday film, make teams/GM's look past almost any red flag that exists, in hopes that they will carry their success over to the pros. Only to watch them fail miserably. And more times than not, it's an issue between the ears. Or a lack of heart/desire/want to, that does them in. And nobody saw it coming. So, everybody has been right, at times. And everybody has been wrong, at times. If there was a way to accurately measure the "immeasurables", then injury would pretty much be the only way anyone would "miss" on a player. Let me know if that ever happens.

One more thing.

You mentioned, rightly, that most personnel departments of NFL teams have more misses than hits during the draft.

So what? Where does that matter?
It matters here. In the minds of internet GM's who seem to think it's not so. The expectations on Mr McGloo are through the roof. This fan base, will not tolerate bad draft choices. Most have lost all patience. If he has a couple unfortunate draft classes to start, he'll be run out on a rail.

Think baseball, for example. The best hitters when they are at bat do what? .320-.340 batting average? The Astros' Jose Altuve had a league leading .341 average. You know what that means? That means 66% of the times he was at bat he failed to get a hit. A 66% failure rate at anything sounds pretty lousy if your trying to accomplish something-except for the fact that was better than everybody else. The mean batting average for all MLB teams during the 2014 season was .251-a 75% failure rate. Basically you are measuring ability to do something where the average failure rate is 75% and you measure your success by having fewer failures than the other guy. Altuve had the lowest failure rate among batters in the major leagues and by that measure he was an outstanding success That is analogous to what we are doing here with the upcoming draft.
Apples to oranges. How the game of baseball is played, has nothing to do with how players are evaluated for the NFL draft. But, since we're throwing out useless sports analogies, I'll use basketball. The NBA free throw average is roughly 7 for 10. With some of the best players averaging 9 out of 10. This too, has nothing at all to do with evaluating players for the NFL.

What matters is that we improve our success rate, or if you wish, lower our rate of failure to a point that our ability to select NFL worthy players is better than it has been and hopefully better than the majority of the other NFL teams. Period.

Indications are that Scott M. has a likely deserved reputation for have one of the lower failure rates among personnel guys and for that reason I at this point am giving him the chance to demonstrate said ability.

As has been said before, time will tell.
Totally agree here. Though being better than every other team isn't realistic. But being luckier, is damn well possible. We need Mr McGloo to have an 81 Beathard draft. Probably the best overall draft in team history. But people need to accept that an 82 Beathard draft is just as possible.

Ax,
Of course GMs miss (even the great ones). But McCloughan better miss a lot less than any of his predecessors. He's been touted as a 'genius', a 'talent savant', the key player behind San Francisco and Seattle's long-term success. There is no certainty when selecting players and evaluatiing talent, it's an art not a science. But it's not a total crapshoot either. Some of your comments have a hint of a pre-argument (ie...if we crap the bed on the next several drafts and free agency, that it's only because 'every GM misses') should McCloughan fail. GMs miss - yes. But there are a number of talented GMs and scouting departments that more or less nail it every year. We just haven't been one of them in a long, long time.

If we don't have great drafts and free agent selections the next several years, I'm going to call it what it is - another failed desperate effort to escape mediocrity. I won't be buying the 'it's so damn impossible to find NFL starting talent out there' argument.

Last edited:
Don't worry about where i keep things...you can just skip over it if you don't like it. This thread and forum aren't run by you.

I wouldn't advise you start calling anyone out or calling me names at all since we're passing out telling each other what to do and all. Mind your own and I'll do the same.

Then don't advise. If I want your advice, I will ask for it. You continually makes jokes about the QB from my alma mater, I will continue to call you out on it, especially when it's in the wrong forum on this board.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.