• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

The biggest problem is, there is no way to accurately measure heart and desire. Without which, physical abilities don't carry enough weight to guarantee success. It's the crapshoot part of it. No formula, or methodology exists to eliminate being wrong about a player. Nobody has ever figured it out. And nobody ever will.

Nobody.

Ever.

Tandler has a nice blurb on what 'we' know about the hierarchy within the FO on FA.

McCloughan is not in a vacuum. He's fully aware of a players worth and would know instantly if Allen was over valuing. It's invented BS to continue to feed the rage and keep attention. Love how he states how Allen could undermine McCloughan, outlines how, and then says, Nah, Allen wouldn't do it anyway. With the inference that because he's so savvy he wouldn't undermine McCloughan in such an obvious manner, maybe opting for something less obvious. So make up a supposition to get attention that you shoot down in the same paragraph while leaving a backdoor for some other unknown, contrived conspiracy. I'm in the wrong business.

This is why the only Redskins reporting I try to read are articles that discuss factual player moves, or post game analysis. Anything else is blather.

The biggest problem is, there is no way to accurately measure heart and desire. Without which, physical abilities don't carry enough weight to guarantee success. It's the crapshoot part of it. No formula, or methodology exists to eliminate being wrong about a player. Nobody has ever figured it out. And nobody ever will.

Nobody.

Ever.

Not in any scientific manner has it been figured out. But it's something McCloughan is supposed to excel at. We'll see.

Not in any scientific manner has it been figured out. But it's something McCloughan is supposed to excel at. We'll see.
Mr. McGloo misses more than he hits. He said so. They all do.

Bobby Beathard had 2 drafts here that were fantastic. Remove them, and he was simply average.
We all hope McGloo can have average, to above average success.

Agreed, average is good for this team, we can accept that. Its like this, we get one pick of 32. It should be no surprise that most picks don't work out. The odds are against every team right off the bat. Ax is right, no one is good at measuring intangibles. Those that can are faced with the dilemma that, while that guy may have the heart, it may be a reach for need. I wouldn't mind that risk though with this team.

McCloughan is not in a vacuum. He's fully aware of a players worth and would know instantly if Allen was over valuing. It's invented BS to continue to feed the rage and keep attention. Love how he states how Allen could undermine McCloughan, outlines how, and then says, Nah, Allen wouldn't do it anyway. With the inference that because he's so savvy he wouldn't undermine McCloughan in such an obvious manner, maybe opting for something less obvious. So make up a supposition to get attention that you shoot down in the same paragraph while leaving a backdoor for some other unknown, contrived conspiracy. I'm in the wrong business.

This is why the only Redskins reporting I try to read are articles that discuss factual player moves, or post game analysis. Anything else is blather.

Tandler is actually a fairly benign 'insider', not much going on so I guess they need to do something.
I don't particularly see a heavy conspiracy aspect to his 'opinion' but I can see folks being 'sensitive' to anything not directly related actual facts given the atmosphere breathed in by the media and the subsequent stench when they exhale.

Redskins claim OT Xavier Nixon off waivers from the Colts.

Nixon played in 8 games over the last two seasons. He came into the league in 2013. He was undrafted.

Nixon is listed at 6 feet, 6 inches. He weighs 330 pounds, and was initially projected as a third round draft pick out of Florida.

Nixon missed the team's flight to New England for the AFC Championship game.

My concern with picking up other teams OL castoffs is that it's a possible sign we want to use our first 3 or 4 picks on positions other than the OL. That frightens me, because it's our inability to invest in the lines for a decade that's gotten us where we are.

My concern with picking up other teams OL castoffs is that it's a possible sign we want to use our first 3 or 4 picks on positions other than the OL. That frightens me, because it's our inability to invest in the lines for a decade that's gotten us where we are.

I would also say that this doesn't just apply to the OL but also elite DT/NTs. Our DL (outside of OLB) consists all of free agents - no real home grown talent.

Not sure why this team can't figure out you build from the lines out.

Skill players can be had in FA - good OL/DL cannot.

Boone and Bird, two things.......

We used two of our top three picks on O-line last year, and signed another starting guard in FA. It's hard to emphasize O-line anymore than that. Now the picks may not have been great, but that was a huge shift from prior regimes. The goal at least, was pretty clear.

Secondly, if there isn't an OL worthy of pick 5, and we can't trade down with Cleveland, then fans will need to take a deep breath. We still need a great safety, and we could really use a good NT.

We probably can't emphasize the OL with as many top picks as we did last year.

Another perspective I think worth considering is that grabbing these "questionable" OL bodies may be just a stopgap measure designed as a temporary potential upgrade while McLuvin engages in the long term project of upgrading through the draft and the inevitable learning curve encountered bringing the rooks up to speed.

That isn't to say any of these guys will make it, but I like the fact that the lightest of the three weighs 315 pounds.

Gruden has always believed in huge linemen, so it appears that he and McLovin are on the same page. That's a good sign.

If we can't trade down, I'd still like to see at least one top pick on OL, and another on the DL or a pass rusher.

We may need to bring in 8 other guys that all weigh over 300 pounds, and then keep the best one or two of them.

Last edited:
I don't have a real issue with us picking up Nixon. I liked what I saw coming out of Fl as a guy to develop. We did sign him to our practice squad after he didn't make the final 53, and Indy snatched him up from us for depth. If we're lookin for big bodies up front, nothing wrong with having him in camp again. Different system, and coaching can sometimes make all the difference. Who knows, but this is pretty low risk IMO.

Nobody.

Ever.

Of course not. There are no guarantees and uncertainty exists.

Welcome to reality.

There are, however, indicators of the likelihood that the level of uncertainty can be reduced to an acceptably manageable amount and that improvement can be measured. How? Try on the field production both individually and the team as a system.

You mentioned the concept of "immeasurables". Call it heart, desire, whatever terms you wish to use to express the psychological/emotional/mental aspects of an athlete that contribute to performance. Do they exist? Of course they do. Can they be directly measured? No. But can their contribution be observed without the ability to directly identify and measure them? I think so.

Here's an example. Reed Doughty. No measurements of his athleticism, physical skills, attributes, his speed, quickness, maneuverability, size, weight, strength could have been used in any combination to accurately predict how effective he was as a football player. He was an overachiever in terms of how good he played, how effective a tackler he was, how he pursued the opposition. Attribute, if you wish, his performance above and beyond what you might have thought to the "immeasurables" of heart, desire, motor, whatever you want and I'll be happy to say they played a major part in his play even though they couldn't be measured. What I see, however, is that their effect could be both seen and measured. That was most certainly observable.

(As an aside, you know what happens if you have an elite combination of measurable athletic skills combined with a top teir high level of the "immeasurables"? You get a once-a-generation superlative player. You get a Sean Taylor.)

One more thing.

You mentioned, rightly, that most personnel departments of NFL teams have more misses than hits during the draft.

So what? Where does that matter?

Think baseball, for example. The best hitters when they are at bat do what? .320-.340 batting average? The Astros' Jose Altuve had a league leading .341 average. You know what that means? That means 66% of the times he was at bat he failed to get a hit. A 66% failure rate at anything sounds pretty lousy if your trying to accomplish something-except for the fact that was better than everybody else. The mean batting average for all MLB teams during the 2014 season was .251-a 75% failure rate. Basically you are measuring ability to do something where the average failure rate is 75% and you measure your success by having fewer failures than the other guy. Altuve had the lowest failure rate among batters in the major leagues and by that measure he was an outstanding success That is analogous to what we are doing here with the upcoming draft.

What matters is that we improve our success rate, or if you wish, lower our rate of failure to a point that our ability to select NFL worthy players is better than it has been and hopefully better than the majority of the other NFL teams. Period.

Indications are that Scott M. has a likely deserved reputation for have one of the lower failure rates among personnel guys and for that reason I at this point am giving him the chance to demonstrate said ability.

As has been said before, time will tell.

Even the 1981 Redskins were superior to this garbage: need proof? here's my stream of Gibbs first NFL game: lolhahaha on VaughnLive.TV [ Vaughn Live ] [url]http://vaughnlive.tv [/url]

Make an account, I'll play alot more if more fans will watch and no, I get nothing for playing these but it'd be fun to watch all of these games together again if we could get enough of us online :D The chat would make it alot of fun again IMO.

Last edited:
Keim is on the same page as some of us as far as excuses for the qb. Trading down a few spots and still getting someone like Shelton would be a awesome I agree.. NT is a tough spot to fill, would love to have a stud there if they are gonna keep trying to use the GD 3-4.

I think we need to be willing to pick a QB or at least have teams believing we will at #5 if either Mariotta or Winston drop to us. That's the only scenario where we might get a ridiculous offer from someone to move down. With the QB desperate Jets right behind us, I might even go as far as drafting one of those two to negotiate a major trade post draft. I think it's unlikely that either QB gets past #3, but if it happens, we should consider being bold and trying to get someone to make a major play to move up.

Short of a blockbuster offer (and I mean, one well above what the damn 'draft trade chart' stipulates), I believe McLovin will stay at #5 because he'll want the absolute best chance to get the guy he thinks is a future game changer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 1, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.