• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I thought the Browns game was okay...but, it was the Browns.

No, what concerns me that o-line and RGIII's knee-jerk reaction to scramble. Sometimes he needs to scramble...sometimes he needs to stay put. He doesn't seem to move around the pocket, but gets out of it. Brady, Brees, Rodgers...they feel the pocket...I'm not seeing that with RGIII.

Then again, with the o-line, there never is really a good pocket.

Hey, I'm whining. When we start winning, my whining will stop, and my pom-poms will come out in full bloom.

:cheers:

There was one particular example of him leaving the pocket wayyyyyyyy too soon last night that sticks out in my mind. Baltimore's DEs got up field on the edges, he stepped into the pocket like he should have, but then saw about 8-10 yards of open field. Instead of scanning the field to see if there were any open receivers when he had bought himself enough time to do so, he took off because he thought he could get the yards...they closed on him after a 4 yard gain that left us way short of the first down.

It's his instinct that concerns me. That particular play simply displays his instinct to take off instead of doing what the greats you mentioned do...move around in the pocket, avoid the rush by simply adjusting within the pocket, and find the open receiver.

Yes, the OL is still porous in pass protection, he is going to have to scramble more often than we'd like. But when you scramble out of the pocket, many times prematurely, get out in the flat and still don't find open receiver...for goodness sake, do not run out of bounds for a 5-6 yard loss! Throw it away!

Two observations (and speculation):

First, I think we've seen very little of the playbook. Perhaps five to ten percent of it and nothing more. In preseason last year, the Eagles ran a basic offense and things looked average at best and mostly subpar. Then Chippy unleashes his offense in the regular season. Will we see something of a repeat Redskins style. Maybe so.

Second, it is about the injuries or lack thereof. San Diego's prized NT (Geathers) went down a short time ago and could be lost for the season. Many teams have the injury bug early on and the Redskins are looking good in this department.

Let's see what the regular season will bring and how it unfolds. Hoping that we will avoid the injury bug in the final preseason game and throughout the season as well.

It seems Moses dodged a bullet. Thankful for that. Liking the Skins good fortune so far.

Has anyone heard an update on Moses and/or Orakpo - I haven't...

Even if most of the playbook has yet to be unveiled, I would still like to see what is being used being done so competently. Especially the pass protection and the timing routes.

Has anyone heard an update on Moses and/or Orakpo - I haven't...

As far as I know, the Grudes said it was a mild sprain for Moses in his press conference. Have heard nothing about Rak.

Agree Chris - if you can't execute the 'vanilla' version of the offense, what are the odds you'll look great executing the full playbook. I've never understood that argument.

Through 3 preseason games, Colin Kaepernick is 12-22, 115 yds, lost fumble. He's led SF to one FG.

Theismann projects Blaine Gabbert competition winner.

Agree Chris - if you can't execute the 'vanilla' version of the offense, what are the odds you'll look great executing the full playbook. I've never understood that argument.

Well, because we don't know what the hell the other team is running, or what they are trying to accomplish or what the offense is looking at on any given play. In the regular season we know: We are trying to score and they are trying to stop us. In the preseason it's not that simple.

I think Gruden looked unemotional in the presser because it's a preseason game and he's not worried about what he's seeing out there, probably because he's looking at things we aren't looking at, and have no clue about.

When week one rolls around, if look like we did week one of last year I'll be worried. Or if we look like we did week one of 2012 I'll be excited.

Until then ... meh. :)

Last edited:
Apparently Rob Jackson has been outplayed by Trent Murphy.

I like Rob Jackson, but his sack numbers haven't been overwhelming.

Yeah, I have nothing against Jackson but he was nothing more than a solid journeyman. And while I'm a bit shocked he was let go, Trent Murphy is clearly the future in his spot. Jackson is a heady player but he's not much of a pass rusher and Gruden has made it clear he really wants more pass rushers.

Players, especially QB's, practice mechanics, year-round. Otherwise, what's his Position Coach going to do for the rest of the year ?
I just can't see Gruden and Matt LaFleur goin, "We got zero time to work on mechanics, for the rest of preseason, and the rest of the year. Screw fundamentals !"

that's a generalization......not a prioritization. it's also a strawman. I have no doubt but that Billious Bill and Tom Terriffic spend the bulk of their time leading up to any game reviewing passing fundamentals. "No Tom....step into the pass! How many times do I have to repeat myself damn it?!!! One more time and I'm telling Giselle to cut you off. You hated it when I did that last season before the Jets game. You know what turned Pats blue back then...right?"

the bulk of the time should be spent implementing the gameplan. OTAs, training camp, off-season preps...that's where the bulk of fundamentals work ought to take place.

that's a generalization......not a prioritization. it's also a strawman. I have no doubt but that Billious Bill and Tom Terriffic spend the bulk of their time leading up to any game reviewing passing fundamentals. "No Tom....step into the pass! How many times do I have to repeat myself damn it?!!! One more time and I'm telling Giselle to cut you off. You hated it when I did that last season before the Jets game. You know what turned Pats blue back then...right?"

the bulk of the time should be spent implementing the gameplan. OTAs, training camp, off-season preps...that's where the bulk of fundamentals work ought to take place.

By all accounts of those who have played with him, Brady works on his fundamentals constantly, and is a stickler for the small things in it. It's a constant process.

Griffin could return back to form and light the league on fire this year. Or, he could remain a shell of his rookie self and steer us all off a cliff. Or it may be somewhere in between.

I don't know what that's gonna be. What I DO know is that nothing we've seen in the preseason will give us a clue. Preseason, still, means nothing. It really does.

EDIT: Same goes for the defense, by the way.

Joe Gibbs didn't see it that way.

but those were the good ole days!

No problems my Redskin friends, the #1 rule of pre-season is ........don't run the offense you will be running during the regular season. I'm not worried.

depends on what you mean by fundamentals. Dollars to doughnuts what that means to Brady is execution. Precise routes, RB making the right blocking decision, catching the ball with the hands, etc., etc. During a season? the bulk of the time is spent implementing the gameplan for the next opponent.....not working on fundamentals.

A lot of clipboard holders have put up good numbers this preseason. Not knocking Cousins at all, I like him a lot and believe he's got all the talent/potential in the world and is an asset to the team; however, we are talking about preseason, not a game, not a game, but preseason. If RG3 stinks it up in the regular season, then the real QB controversy begins.

1) The third preseason game is supposed to be the tune-up game...the one that clarifies whether a team is ready forits opener.

2) RGIII did stink it up - last season.

No problems my Redskin friends, the #1 rule of pre-season is ........don't run the offense you will be running during the regular season. I'm not worried.

What?!!! There's no tape on Gruden offenses?!!!! No one knows what all these retread O coordinators who move to new teams each off-season like to run & call?!!!

just tweakin ya. true...the bulk of the playcalls are structured to test individual players for cut/keep decisions.

You guys keep repeating over and over that he hasn't shown he can run the offense 'competently', but he looked fine running the offense against the Browns, and he barely played against the Patriots. If you think RG3 was physically okay last season, I guess I can see the point, but if you're basing it on one pre-season debacle - I just don't get drawing grand conclusions from it.

Pre-season game 3 being a tune up - what's the relevance? It's well-documented that pre-season play, games 1,2,3,4, or 5 are not a predictor of regular season success. It's just not. So please, stop implying it is. In 2012, the Redskins themselves were 3-1 in the pre-season, a scoring juggernaut scoring 30+ points in 3 of 4 games. They only won 3 of the next 9 regular season games. Yeah - they pulled a magical streak out of their ass in the end, but you had reason to be very confident going into the regular season that year, and then suffered through a lot of losses once we got there.

I get the concern, not trying to 'shout it down' and I have some of it too. But the book hasn't been written yet on the 2014 Redskins or their QB.

Last edited:
Joe Gibbs didn't see it that way.

but those were the good ole days!

First of all, what Joe Gibbs did or didn't do once upon a time is as relevant to this current team as my right elbow.

Secondly, Gibbs may or may not have thought preseason meant something once upon time, but how a Gibbs team looked in the preseason almost never indicated how they'd play in the regular season. In 2005, the Redskins went 10-6 with the 11th ranked offense in the league and the 9th ranked defense. In the pre-season they went 1-3, and only five teams scored fewer points.

Preseason doesn't mean anything. Didn't 30 years ago. Didn't ten years ago. Doesn't now.

Correct Henry. Every former player I've ever heard said Gibbs showed nothing in preseason. Offense and defense were as vanilla as it gets.

I'll reserve judgement of our offense and defense, for when I actually see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.