• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I hear you - I really do. You know what will shut them all up? The return to the kind of success he had his rookie year (although preferably - success of the mostly behind the line of scrimmage variety). Success will shut up all the critics (or make the ones that don't shut up look even more stupid than they already look).

I think Griffin is going to do exactly that.

To be fair, Griffin has put himself out there on social media and marketed himself more so than most any other #2 NFL draft pick. Ever. Doing that set himself up for more public criticism and "haters" club members going public on social media and sports message boards. Such is the nature of marketing and social media and if you're going to put yourself out there you have to be ready for the wave of negativity that comes with it. The negative attention it attracts and the distracting nature of social media in general are just a couple reasons I've been pretty vocal about my dislike of his extensive involvement in social media.

As far as true fans are concerned, I agree with John in that many of us who may be perceived by some as "harsh" on Griffin do so not because we hate him and are chomping at the bit to see him fail or get hurt, but just the opposite: we love the guy and we see so much potential in him to lead our franchise to glory we don't want to see him do anything that increases his chances of jeopardizing that. So yes, when we watch him take unnecessary risks in preseason games, slide around the field like a pee wee leaguer, etc., all at the start of his 3rd year in the NFL where we'd think some of the lesson from rookie season would have sunk in, it makes many of us want to "Gus Frerotte" our heads into a wall.

Last edited:
Just win, baby.

EXACTLY! If the team wins, people will be saying what a great leader and player he is. All the overreactions and people reading and hearing what they want to from his comments will disappear. He could say the exact same things to the exact same questions in the exact same way, and he will be lauded.

It's all about winning and that is the only thing that will change this. Arguing with people and trying to change their opinion won't work. You just have to win.

And Boone, I do understand the legitmate fans' concern. I was more or less talking about the vile peeps that spew pure hate found on any sports article's comment section that makes mention of RG3. He is anathema to the man-children that pollute the web.
That's gonna come when you put your personality out over and over through social media, traditional media, commercials etc... He has asked for most of that by being a publicity whore. Most times I can ignore mouth breather comments that are influenced by what's out there... I didnt fully get this until Mr Manziel came out. The more you are out there the more detractors appear.

He grew up in the social media age. For him, Twitter, Instagram, etc. are just the norm. He tweets less than Kaepernick and Russell Wilson. What has he done that's so bad? Somebody please elaborate? The way peeps hate you would have thought he knocked out his significant other or something....

The criticisms of his game are also tired and mostly false. Check the stats.

The haters are tiresome, only because I can't stand the tidal wave of negativity on anything RG3. Dude is a good guy. It didn't used to bother me at all, but now it's in overdrive. People are obsessed with RG3. It's actually kind of weird. Check out any article on PFT, peeps will talk schmack about him in totally unrelated articles. I think for some, it is his blackness + swag factor and for others the fact that he might dethrone the current prototype of QB...a lot of football fans are very unsophisticated...

Last edited:
I wish Gibbs never would have left. Zorn and The Shan...hopefully Grudes breaks the seemingly perpetual nightmare...

I wish Gibbs never would have left. Zorn and The Shan...hopefully Grudes breaks the seemingly perpetual nightmare...

As upset as I was at the time, Gibbs had nothing left in the tank. It's easier to see that in hindsight. Took a broken team and FO structure to the playoffs in two out of his four years, saw the murder of one player the team loved and had health issues in his own family. That had to be a lot to bare.

Nick

As upset as I was at the time, Gibbs had nothing left in the tank. It's easier to see that in hindsight. Took a broken team and FO structure to the playoffs in two out of his four years, saw the murder of one player the team loved and had health issues in his own family. That had to be a lot to bare.

Nick

I agree. He was a band-aid on a gaping wound. God bless him for squeezing blood out of the stone like he did. Until the front office structure actually changed ... for real, no coach was going to take this team anywhere. In hindsight, two playoff trips in four seasons looks pretty amazing.

"Pretty amazing"? It was a miracle. If there were any doubts about his HOF worthiness up to that point (and there shouldn't have been any) his second tenure shouldvhave dispelled them all.

I actually agree with you more than I disagree. But on the hype and lack of depth of understanding - that's got very little to do with RG3, it's simply the nature of social media, and honestly, at this point, nearly ALL media. Look at the coverage of the events in Ferguson. We're not going to discuss that stuff here, but the point is, folks know almost nothing about what happened but immediately leap to judgment from every side. It's a sad reality in 2014. People think they know. And they don't. I would be more inclined to provide Griffin my blanket support if he were not so actively and personally putting himself out there. That doesn't make it his fault, but when you go out and openly challenge the haters - you are just feeding that kind of stuff, not discouraging it. And it's clear stuff bothers him - I think you're kidding yourself there. If it didn't, he wouldn't comment publically about the criticism.

On the injury stats - I think that's misleading. I don't think there are comparative stats showing the rate of injury for mobile QBs who have already had TWO ACL repairs :) There have only been a handful of NFL QBs who routinely take off downfield like Griffin does - and very few indeed who, given the choice between the sidelines and turning upfield, nearly always take unnecessary hits. I think he is aware it's foolhardy and is trying to play smarter. But he's not there yet, and it's not a natural thing for him.

As for who is accountable for his injury in 2012 - I mostly agree with you. And I do agree that the worry and hyperventilating (although I engage in some of that) is pointless. He'll either somehow manage to stay relatively healthy, he'll have another devastating injury, or somewhere in between. And no amount of handwringing will have an impact on that.

Great posts in response to Beans, without disrespect to Beans' opinion.

How I look at injuries is that it is irrelevant who is mobile and who is not. Take any player, some will have a higher propensity for injury, at any position, than other players. And we can never know who that will be without history. Most always, its the injury history that warrants the status of "injury prone" rather than position or how a player plays that position. Griffin has tons of history, enough said.

Now for what is keeping me up at night. Clowney and Watt I am afraid, are going to make mincemeat of Griffin. In order to prevent that, most plans include keeping the back in to chip block clowney and the tight end in, to double team watt. However, that begins to unravel your concept Boone, of "too many weapons" for the defense to contain. Let's take it another step, now we have lost the RB and TE for blocking. The QB is not a valid threat as a weapon any longer, we don't want him to run, period. We are not designing running plays for him. So now we are left with WR as weapons. Only you know that teams design and scheme their defense to shut down the best receiver, usually by double team. Now what does that leave? Only one of the top 2 WR as our weapons. All of a sudden, your "too many weapons" concept has crumbled. So basically what I am saying is that we are left with one quality WR and and #3 or 4 WR to make it go. Only if our line can't contain the inside rush, well, we'll see Griffin break contain and run.

Give me another scenerio where we can overcome the impact these two DE's will have and how, on a worst case basis, we can mitigate these circumstances. I am truly hoping that either Jackson or Garcon can carry the whole load, on a worst case scenerio.

I'm going to Houston for the game, and thought it was a W no brainer. But our OL is rearing its ugly head again.

Micks, in your example you have DeSean Jackson one-on-one against a #2 corner. That's not exactly a nightmare scenario for a QB.

Now for what is keeping me up at night. Clowney and Watt I am afraid, are going to make mincemeat of Griffin. In order to prevent that, most plans include keeping the back in to chip block clowney and the tight end in, to double team watt. However, that begins to unravel your concept Boone, of "too many weapons" for the defense to contain. Let's take it another step, now we have lost the RB and TE for blocking.

Give me another scenerio where we can overcome the impact these two DE's will have and how, on a worst case basis, we can mitigate these circumstances.

I don't know about you, but I have a lot of faith in Trent Williams to shut down one of those 2 by himself. While the other Tackle will need help, we still have Trent. You want proof, just look at the past 2-3 years of film when he goes against top end rushers, and watch what he does to them.

There's your other scenario of overcoming the impact.

Keim's been reading BGO :)

one nice thing about time: what's behind you is done....what's ahead is unknown. take charge of the unknown RGIII.

Great posts in response to Beans, without disrespect to Beans' opinion.

How I look at injuries is that it is irrelevant who is mobile and who is not. Take any player, some will have a higher propensity for injury, at any position, than other players. And we can never know who that will be without history. Most always, its the injury history that warrants the status of "injury prone" rather than position or how a player plays that position. Griffin has tons of history, enough said.

Now for what is keeping me up at night. Clowney and Watt I am afraid, are going to make mincemeat of Griffin. In order to prevent that, most plans include keeping the back in to chip block clowney and the tight end in, to double team watt. However, that begins to unravel your concept Boone, of "too many weapons" for the defense to contain. Let's take it another step, now we have lost the RB and TE for blocking. The QB is not a valid threat as a weapon any longer, we don't want him to run, period. We are not designing running plays for him. So now we are left with WR as weapons. Only you know that teams design and scheme their defense to shut down the best receiver, usually by double team. Now what does that leave? Only one of the top 2 WR as our weapons. All of a sudden, your "too many weapons" concept has crumbled. So basically what I am saying is that we are left with one quality WR and and #3 or 4 WR to make it go. Only if our line can't contain the inside rush, well, we'll see Griffin break contain and run.

Give me another scenerio where we can overcome the impact these two DE's will have and how, on a worst case basis, we can mitigate these circumstances. I am truly hoping that either Jackson or Garcon can carry the whole load, on a worst case scenerio.

I'm going to Houston for the game, and thought it was a W no brainer. But our OL is rearing its ugly head again.
We're all gonna die!!!

He grew up in the social media age. For him, Twitter, Instagram, etc. are just the norm. He tweets less than Kaepernick and Russell Wilson. What has he done that's so bad? Somebody please elaborate? The way peeps hate you would have thought he knocked out his significant other or something....

The criticisms of his game are also tired and mostly false. Check the stats.

The haters are tiresome, only because I can't stand the tidal wave of negativity on anything RG3. Dude is a good guy. It didn't used to bother me at all, but now it's in overdrive. People are obsessed with RG3. It's actually kind of weird. Check out any article on PFT, peeps will talk schmack about him in totally unrelated articles. I think for some, it is his blackness + swag factor and for others the fact that he might dethrone the current prototype of QB...a lot of football fans are very unsophisticated...
I can't argue with the content of your post because I agree with you for the most part; the non-Redskin fan/outside haters do seem over the top. As far as the negativity from media and reporters, part of me can't help but think that some of that stems from the Redskins name "controversy," RG3's open support of the name and that being a factor in some of this hate.

As for Twitter and other social media venues, I get both sides of the debate and understand he's grown up in the social media age; I'm just not a huge fan of social media in the first place, so I admit that's where a lot of my bias and disapproval comes from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.