• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I always liked Portis. but I do seem to recall more than a few who wanted his head every time he went rogue on the airwaves.

I always liked Portis. but I do seem to recall more than a few who wanted his head every time he went rogue on the airwaves.

And Riggins drove around drunk in an old jeep and passed out in meetings...but the man showed up and put in work on Sundays.

Sometimes,you just have to live with it.

I personally remember Champ getting owned by Toomer, but I think Henry's thoughts were the most accurate. If he kept the play in front of him, it was incredibly hard to complete a pass on him. Over his head, the odds got much better, but still difficult.

Highly overrated? I don't remember it that way, but it could be true. Other than Toomer, I don't remember any other receivers doing much against him.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

David Boston was having his way with our secondary. I'm uncertain if Bailey was in that group.

For those that haven't seen the pictures that Mike just mentioned:

bozo-the-clown2.jpg

And Riggins drove around drunk in an old jeep and passed out in meetings...but the man showed up and put in work on Sundays.

Sometimes,you just have to live with it.

no argument from me! just reflecting on how the tenor of the board can change so swiftly.

I loved having Portis on my team.

I also favor the implications of this attitude toward FAs/draftees who have been viewed as having character issues. Felt we should have maneuvered to draft the Honey Badger last year.

Whats your comparison?

There are many, but the obvious one that stands out to me is:

Champ 13 seasons, 52 Ints.

Darrell 20 seasons, 54 Ints.

Granted, interceptions aren't everything, and one of Darrell's biggest things was how long he played in the league. Few played longer at any position.

But in terms of quality of play, Champ played at an incredibly high level.

I think he may be overrated by fans of other teams, but he's equally underrated by many of our fans.

Last edited:
Champ has played for 15 seasons, actually. It probably just seems like 13. :)

There are many, but the obvious one that stands out to me is:

Champ 13 seasons, 52 Ints.

Darrell 20 seasons, 54 Ints.

Granted, interceptions aren't everything, and one of Darrell's biggest things was how long he played in the league. Few played longer at any position.

But in terms of quality of play, Champ played at an incredibly high level.

I think he may be overrated by fans of other teams, but he's equally underrated by many of our fans.

PERSONALLY, I cant put Bailey on the same level as Green. Green LITERALLY went to his defense and said "you guys worry about that side over there, I got his side over here"... and backed it up. He didn't have the elite interception numbers because nobody threw at him. Was Bailey a good corner in his prime? Yes... was he on the same level as Darrell Green and Deion Sanders? Personally I don't think so.

Darrell Green

Career highlights and awards

7× Pro Bowl selection (1984, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1997)
4× All-Pro selection (1986, 1987, 1990, 1991)
2× Super Bowl Champion (XXII, XXVI)
3× NFC Champion (1983, 1987, 1991)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
1996 Walter Payton Man of the Year
4× NFL's Fastest Man Competition winner
1997 Bart Starr Award
Redskins' Ring of Fame
70 Greatest Redskins
Record 19 Seasons with at least 1 Interception
Most seasons and games played by a defensive player for only one team (20 and 295)

and here's Champ

AFC Champion (2013)
7× All-Pro (2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012)
12× Pro Bowl (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
2× NFL Alumni Defensive Back of the Year (2005, 2006)
NFL 2000s All-Decade Team
NFL interceptions co-leader (2006)
Denver Broncos 50th Anniversary Team

NFL Records
12 Pro Bowls for a cornerback
4 career Pro Bowl interceptions (4)
Youngest player to intercept 3 passes in a single game

The biggest thing that jumps out at me are the rings.. The more I think about it, it's hard to really compare the two, mostly because it was two different eras. Green played against the likes of Troy Aikman, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Phil Simms, Randall Cunningham, Jim Kelly...

Champ has a disadvantage as he's had to adapt to the transition the NFL has made to the pass happy style league, but he's also been buried in the AFC West where QB play during his time out there hasn't been stellar. San Diego probably being the most skilled team at passing (before Denver/KC this year) means he's faced some BAD pass offenses.

It's such a hard comparison to make....

Stats? Really? We're talking about stats? Not a game. Not the playoffs. Not the Championship. Not the Super Bowl. But stats?

I, and I suspect most football people, given the straight up choice of which guy they'd like to have in their prime, or their whole career, would take Darrell 10 out of 10 times.

Better at bump and run. Even with his size disadvantage.
Better tackler. Even with his size disadvantage.
Better hands.
Better leader.
More versatile.
And obviously, faster.
Big plays in big games.

No contest, really.

Stats? Really? We're talking about stats? Not a game. Not the playoffs. Not the Championship. Not the Super Bowl. But stats?

I, and I suspect most football people, given the straight up choice of which guy they'd like to have in their prime, or their whole career, would take Darrell 10 out of 10 times.

Better hands.
Better leader.
More versatile.
And obviously, faster.
Big plays in big games.

No contest, really.

I agree with you.. hence the posed question of "what are you comparing." None of what I posted was stats because the defensive backfield is so hard to analyze. Green has the same amount of INTs as Bailey but I guarantee he was thrown at a lot less... that doesn't show up on the stat sheet, and a lot of stats weren't even logged prior to the early 90's.

With you 100% I take Green over Bailey, I just said it's a hard comparison to make

I knew what you were doing ST.

I was just busting brother McD's balls a little. That's all.

Should have made that clearer.

I knew what you were doing ST.

I was just busting brother McD's balls a little. That's all.

Should have made that clearer.

hahahah my bad... my head is a little low this morning, not the first thing that's gone over it today

ST, you just made a good illustration of both players. Personally, I'd take Green. But I'm also a Skins fan.

If someone from outside looked in, they might see this:

Green played much longer, yet Champ was an all-pro 7x versus only 4x for Darrell.

Green was a 7x pro-bowler, and Champ 12x pro-bower in far fewer seasons played.

Both had similar Ints, but it didn't take Champ nearly as long to get them.

I'll take Green, but Bailey isn't too far behind him, if at all.

Better hands.
Better leader.
More versatile.
And obviously, faster.
Big plays in big games.

No contest, really.

I agree with most of those, but I'm not sure how you would measure things like "better leader". Is it by team record? Because even though we sucked as a team, I'd say London Fletcher was a great leader.

And the Ints would suggest that better hands might not be correct.

Both were great players. I'd just say that Bailey is very underrated. I never hear him mentioned anywhere close to Deion or Darrell. I'd kill to draft a CB this year or any other year that would have that kind of career for us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.