• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

No - I mean like half this year's Pro Bowlers. Smart isn't a top 3 quality :)

I understand what you meant. I just think you have to have "some" smarts to be a great WR in the NFL. You know the ole' saying...it usually takes a WR 3 years to grasp the NFL. The concerns I have seen about him is his intelligence.

Benjamin was a redshirt sophomore this year, so a junior by his entry year into college. He did turn 23 three weeks ago which played a large part in his coming out early. I personally have never heard of any concerns related to his intelligence (not to say that they don't exist) and I follow the team as closely as I do the Redskins.

The biggest questions I have heard are about drops that seem to indicate a lack of focus at times, though to be fair I didn't see him drop many this past season and did watch him make many important and impressive grabs.

Some rumblings...

The Redskins are looking at DE and DT in the middle rounds of the draft. The class is deep and some good players at these positions should be available. Also, the team could be looking to move down in the second and third rounds - the draft is very deep this year and plenty of good players will be available.

Some rumblings...

The Redskins are looking at DE and DT in the middle rounds of the draft. The class is deep and some good players at these positions should be available. Also, the team could be looking to move down in the second and third rounds - the draft is very deep this year and plenty of good players will be available.

I'll bet they have their eye on a particular WR, and if he gets snatched up before they pick, they'll trade down.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Clowney ran a 4.47s 40 yard dash. He is 6'5, almost 270lbs. Holy crap.

With Watt on one side, and Clowney on the other? I would not want to play QB against the Texans if they draft him.

Put in this thread because we play them this year. Doh!!

Some rumblings...

hmmm. moving down to pick up an extra 4th or 5th? count me out - unless the STs are so bad that's just what we're stuck with.

hmmm. moving down to pick up an extra 4th or 5th? count me out - unless the STs are so bad that's just what we're stuck with.

The difference this year is that we have the second overall pick in rounds two through seven. It is not a middle of the round selection that we will trade, so the chances of gaining a pick one round later is very real. In fact, it would not be surprising to see some teams give up two picks in the same round (SF has two picks in the second round and usually move up to get a player they covet).

The difference this year is that we have the second overall pick in rounds two through seven. It is not a middle of the round selection that we will trade, so the chances of gaining a pick one round later is very real. In fact, it would not be surprising to see some teams give up two picks in the same round (SF has two picks in the second round and usually move up to get a player they covet).

Plus, they can afford to do this because they are pretty much put together already.

Just a thought re what teams like Baltimore, SF, Seattle and Green Bay do consistently - let the guy looking for a max deal go and DRAFT a replacement.

The 49ers let Dashon Golston, a pro bowler in his prime go last year.

Why can't Redskins fans even contemplate that with the second or third round pick find a quick outside linebacker that could counter Kerrigan on the other side?

Then we might be able to use some of that $30M on some other holes on the roster.

Every year we see teams at the top of the standings finding starters in the draft after Round 1.

Here we draft three OL in 2012 and none of these guys can even sniff playing time on what is a limited unit.

We have to get over this mentality that if one guy leaves we are screwed.

Yeah I have about zero knowledge of the "value chart", but I would think/hope at the very least that if we swap picks we get their next rd pick. Even if it doesn't compute to the chart we go with a take it or leave it attitude.

Maybe I'm wrong here but getting multiple 2nds from one team, or acquiring several 3rds from numerous trade downs would be the norm.

BT, you're comparing the 49ers (loaded with talent, very deep) to the Skins (short on talent, not much depth to speak of). It's apples and footballs, man, just no comparison.

PS: the 49ers also signed Patrick Willis to a gadzillion dollar extension, instead of letting him walk. Thoughts?

Willis arguably was the best MLB in the game for much of the past few seasons.

Definitely top 3.

I don't see Orakpo being that consistently excellent over time.

Just a thought re what teams like Baltimore, SF, Seattle and Green Bay do consistently - let the guy looking for a max deal go and DRAFT a replacement.

The 49ers let Dashon Golston, a pro bowler in his prime go last year.

Why can't Redskins fans even contemplate that with the second or third round pick find a quick outside linebacker that could counter Kerrigan on the other side?

Then we might be able to use some of that $30M on some other holes on the roster.

Every year we see teams at the top of the standings finding starters in the draft after Round 1.

Here we draft three OL in 2012 and none of these guys can even sniff playing time on what is a limited unit.

We have to get over this mentality that if one guy leaves we are screwed.

Putting yourself in that situation requires a long term commitment to drafting and growing your own talent. Turning a 6th round pick this year into a quality starter 4 years down the road.

Our organization has lacked that sort of long term focus for a long time. To be honest, I don't think our fanbase would tolerate building that way anymore. I've seen this fanbase turn on a dime for what seems ridiculous reasons. So, while I agree with you, that's just never going to be an option here.

Willis arguably was the best MLB in the game for much of the past few seasons.

Definitely top 3.

I don't see Orakpo being that consistently excellent over time.

Do you see our FO as competent enough to draft his replacement in the 3rd or 4th round? And once we use a draft pick on yet another hole rather than the existing ones, where do we fill those needs? Overpay for free agents?

Well I think the reason for that now is we went through a tear down with Shanahan but he failed to come out of it on the other side with the commensurate success.

In four years we developed zero offensive linemen, zero wide receivers, zero impact DL or secondary players.

Shanahan's bright spots were except for Morris all top picks like Williams, Griffin and Kerrigan.

You are EXPECTED to get core performers in the top 10-15 picks.

You can get 12 year olds to read Athlon's and make those picks.

But it's the Jenkins, LeRibeus, Hankerson picks where we failed to find the diamonds that would have really elevated the team

got it...and you know I love your posts......

so, what you're saying is, someone really has an itch for our second or third round pick, so they will be willing to swap picks in that round plus sweeten the pot with a 4th or 5th rounder. take SF then - that would mean swapping to the back of the second round and picking up a 4th rounder. still not sure I'd go for that....but I get your thinking.

Baltimore just re-signed Flacco to a huge contract with a $29 million signing bonus. He counts as much against the cap this year as Tom Brady. Ok, so he's a QB. In 2011 they also re-signed Haloti Ngata to a deal averaging $12 mil a year. This year he's set to count $16 million against the cap.

The Packers just re-signed Matthews to a huge contract with a $20 million signing bonus. He'll count $11 mil against the cap this year. $12.7 next year. $13.7 the year after that.

The 49ers re-signed Patrick Willis to a huge contract. His cap hit ballooned to $17 million in 2012 before he re-structured. Still, of the list the 49ers are the one team that manages to keep contracts down. Let's not pretend they never re-sign their own guys though. And they are the exception, not the rule.

Seattle, again, is one of the most top-heavy teams in the league. In 2012 they re-signed DE Red Bryant to a deal worth $7 million a year. This year he's set to count $8.5 million against the cap. They've also signed a ton a free agents to huge contracts. Harvin, Rice, Avril, Clemons ... you really really need to stop holding them up as some sort of model we should be following regarding free agency and contracts vs. value.

I think you answer your own question about two sentences later:

A team either drafts well or it doesn't. If it drafts well, like Seattle does, they can sign five guys to huge contracts and if they end up being average to crappy players it's no big deal. If a team drafts poorly, all the frugality in the world won't make a lick of difference.

Hoping is one thing, but EXPECTING this team to successfully find a decent pass rusher in the later rounds is a laughable long term strategy when there is a player already on the roster who's proven he can do it. We have room now. Why not franchise Orakpo for a year and see if that awesome OLB we draft in the 5th round pans out first? Then we can let Orakpo go next year.

Last edited:
You are EXPECTED to get core performers in the top 10-15 picks.

You can get 12 year olds to read Athlon's and make those picks.

But it's the Jenkins, LeRibeus, Hankerson picks where we failed to find the diamonds that would have really elevated the team

I don't think anyone would disagree with you, but you're advocating getting rid of the talent we DO have, in Orakpo. How does that help hit on talent on the later rounds? I guess I'm not understanding your point, unless you're just so frustrated you want to wipe the entire slate clean outside of Griffin and Morris?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.