• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I would disagree. A 'Yid' is a European Jew, in the same way a native American is a 'Redskin'. Names that I'm sure would be acceptable to self apply among either group, but not really appropriate for you or I (assuming you're neither Jewish nor Native American) to throw around in their company? Maybe Redskin is a perfectly acceptable way in which to address a Native American, I really don't know, but I wouldn't address anyone I knew to be Jewish as 'Steve the Yid', for example, unless I was incredibly sure of the ground I was treading on.

I'm sure there were a great number of people 100 years ago who wouldn't bat an eyelid at calling an African American a ... The point here is that this description is outdated and offensive, which is where I believe these words are going.

The problem comes when 'dirty' and other such words are added for it to be delivered with vitriol. Put 'dirty' in front of yid or redskin and we're in the same ballpark, surely?

You really want to go there with the Gooners? Haha, I did enjoy watching them on Saturday, almost as much as I enjoyed watching us yesterday :)

I am a Native, a half-blood Lakota from the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe in South Dakota. I have never heard a self-referential use of Redskin. It really has nothing to do with that in my mind, though. Redskins really does only refer to the football team, as a reference to Native Americans. They have a mascot that is one of the best Native images you will see, created with the help of Natives. It's a different structure.

In reference to the "dirty" addition, I have been called a "dirty Indian" as a racial slur before. Does that make the word "Indian" racist, or the dirty part bad? You would no more call somebody "David the Redskin" or "Jerris the Indian" any more than you would call somebody "Mike the Caucasian". It just isn't used, because it's silly.

The point I'm making with all this is that the word didn't have the offensive roots of the ever dreaded n-word. Not even close. The ever dreaded n-word being a 10, Redskin is, worst case scenario, a 2. No comparison.

And I was just surprised that Chelsea and Man U were listed as being like that with your teams favorite rival not doing something similar, is all. It's always a joy to see certain teams get beat, and Arsenal has been one of those for a long time, even without having a strict team in the Premier League.

The ENTIRE problem here is a very small PC minority is trying to co-op this word and turn it into an offensive word it never was. If it really was rooted in bigotry then I'd be a lot more open to the debate but the entire basis is a traceable lie. And SnT is spot on when he talks about the false equivalence and silliness of the question about walking up to an Indian and calling them a Redskin. I would never introduce anyone with a descriptor of their race any more than I would walk up to anyone of ANY race and refer to them by a physical descriptor of any kind. It's also true that with seemingly little to no exception the word Redskins is never used in any context but one referring to the football team. Facts matter and this entire debate boils down to some very simple facts that one side absolutely refuses to even acknowledge in their misguided quest for PC. I'd love to know where the Dictionaries are getting their source material for definitions on this one because it's been traced by industry leading linguistic historians and the whole notion of it ever having been racist or offensive has been thoroughly debunked. I find it more than a little disturbing that much of this debate hinges on the word's definition and Webster's et al are basically ignoring historical fact and linguistic research to make their contribution.The definition needs to be changed...period.

There are some rumblings about the Redskins wanting to move up into the latter stages of the first round.

There are some rumblings about the Redskins wanting to move up into the latter stages of the first round.

I'm far from a draft guru but I do think we're better of using the picks we have, or maybe trading back, then giving something up to move up...

To grab which player?

No word on a particular player, but it could have something to do with having five year options on first rounders instead of four year options on second rounders and lower. It could also be a smokescreen of some sort and they may prefer to move lower, but will use this rumor to place a premium on teams who want to move that high in the second round.

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much faith into any rumblings before the combine even happens.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

No word on a particular player, but it could have something to do with having five year options on first rounders instead of four year options on second rounders and lower. It could also be a smokescreen of some sort and they may prefer to move lower, but will use this rumor to place a premium on teams who want to move that high in the second round.

True enough. I was just curious how deep the rumor went, as it would be silly to move up without a target in mind. Curious to see how our new staff will judge players.

After the combine I'll be surprised if KB doesn't go in the middle of the first round.

Trading up for a WR is just plain unfortunate if we do, and you know I like Kelvin Benjamin. We need too many pieces and there are too many receivers in this draft to waste picks. We are not a team who can afford to trade away any picks at this juncture. They are simply too valuable.

If Benjamin is there at 34, draft him! I have no problem addressing the WR need with that pick even though I think an NT or RT is of the utmost importance. But to trade for him? NO!

It's funny hearing supposed rumors of moving into the late first round when we are months before the draft. You don't move up before the draft unless you are guaranteed to get the guy you want, i.e. moving up to 2nd to draft Griffin or Luck if he falls. You are guaranteed in that situation to get your guy. Moving up to pick 25 for instance, would be so foolish because there is no guarantee the guy you want will be there. You wait until draft day to make that trade and only if that guy you desperately want is there and you think he won't make it to your spot.

Shi no Tenshi- as much as I hate to say it, the Arsenal are not 'scum'. There are obviously a few teenage keyboard warriors that sink to that level of insult via twitter and various Spurs forums I frequent, but their insults generally revolve around us being a less successful club in terms of trophies won in the last 20-30 years. Hard to argue with! Their fanbase is not made up of the knuckle dragging, genuinely nasty elements of society... unlike Chelsea and West Ham. There are obviously exceptions, I know a number of individuals who support Chelsea and West Ham, but speaking generally, they are the worst offenders. Luckily Millwall are in the division below us so we never have to sink that low! United are too far removed geographically (and recent success wise!) to really be considered any sort of fierce rival, although their slide this season is bringing them into sharper focus!

Looks like the debate has moved on to drafting so won't keep harping on, but I think that any sort of logical debate is fairly redundant. All the Redskins and Tottenham will look at is whether their association with percieved racism is costing them money. When it starts to impact the brand, all other reasoning goes out of the window.

Trading up for a WR is just plain unfortunate if we do, and you know I like Kelvin Benjamin. We need too many pieces and there are too many receivers in this draft to waste picks. We are not a team who can afford to trade away any picks at this juncture. They are simply too valuable.

If Benjamin is there at 34, draft him! I have no problem addressing the WR need with that pick even though I think an NT or RT is of the utmost importance. But to trade for him? NO!

As much as I'd love to see KB in a Skins jersey next season I don't think it's going to happen, nor do I think it's a good idea to give anything up to get him. That's the "responsible" side of me talking. The fan side of me says, if we can somehow get a 2nd rounder for Cousins, then do what you gotta do (within reason) to get him and use that other 2nd rounder to address the line.

The decent human in me feels bad for Costas and his eye..

The Redskins fan in me wants to yell "KARMA, BITCH!" every time i see him commentating while "winking"

It's not just that, he's big anti gun nut too and had a huge rant about that as well. He's high on the list of clueless celebrities that get the figurative bird from me every time I see them. They come on I change the channel or walk out.

It's not just that, he's big anti gun nut too and had a huge rant about that as well. He's high on the list of clueless celebrities that get the figurative bird from me every time I see them. They come on I change the channel or walk out.

the week after Newtown didn't he get all high and mighty about it?

Yeah, I saw the response last night. Been begging for this kind of response. Would love to see it made by some Indian leaders around the country, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 1, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.