• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

If each team needs one possession in OT to be fair or because whoever wins the coin toss is guaranteed to win, then there should be no defender ever paid elite money.
I mean,is the League going to come out and finally admit that they've tilted the field so much towards the offense that defenders can no longer compete on an even scale?
And for all the talk of player safety, you're going to go down the path that gives you the greatest chance to extend the game the longest? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Bring back Sudden Death over time.

Folks always counter with 'Well - if the opposing team can't prevent a touchdown, they don't deserve to win'. That's an absolutely stupid POV since it's just as possible that had the other team won the coin toss, THEY may have scored a touchdown. Since the goal of the game to begin with is to have the best team on that day win the game, having a coin toss have such a huge impact after 4 complete quarters have been played is ridiculous.

The NFL either needs to give each team a possession, and do that as many times as needed for one team or the other to prevail, or they need to play a full extra quarter to determine a winner.

Before I finished reading, I was thinking a full quarter would be ideal. Then you called it. Or even do like basketball and have a reduced quarter. I don't think any NFL fan would be opposed to OT being a 10 or 12 minute quarter.

No one said 'whoever wins the coin toss is going to win' - that's obviously false. But a coin toss should not give one opponent a large advantage over the other - and the current model does. The advantage of giving each team a possession is that all of the team's units were given the opportunity to play. In yesterday's game, once OT started, the Saints offense had zero opportunity to determine the final outcome. In what universe is that fair or desirable?

Whether the league has gone too far in promoting offense or whether 'defense wins championships' - those are irrelevant. The goal is to give an opportunity for the best team, on offense, defense, and special teams, to win the game. Neither sudden death nor the current model do that.

The injury argument is not one without merit. But how far are you going to take that? We could shorten halves to 10 minutes and we'd reduce injuries. Do you want that? We could eliminate kickoffs and reduce injuries - does that make it a better game. Injuries can happen anytime at any point in the game. Yes - logically if you extend games you may have more injuries. But I think setting up a system where the best team wins the game is a core need and trumps anything else. Just my opinion. You'd likely be talking about one more team possession per game - I don't think that creates unreasonable risk.

Folks always counter with 'Well - if the opposing team can't prevent a touchdown, they don't deserve to win'. That's an absolutely stupid POV since it's just as possible that had the other team won the coin toss, THEY may have scored a touchdown. Since the goal of the game to begin with is to have the best team on that day win the game, having a coin toss have such a huge impact after 4 complete quarters have been played is ridiculous.

The NFL either needs to give each team a possession, and do that as many times as needed for one team or the other to prevail, or they need to play a full extra quarter to determine a winner.

What if it's tied at the end of that Q?

I think we should go back to the sudden death rule. If you don't want the game decided by a coin toss, you have 2 choices...win it in regulation, or stop them. The only problem in today's football to "stopping them" is that games are longer, and more geared for the offense to succeed, not to mention what defense isn't going to be tired by the end of the game making the offense have a better shot.

Still, sudden death for the win. Get it done or go home. I have never liked the college method, and would never want to see the NFL adopt it.

If it's all about offense, offense, and them getting the chance, then by that logic, a defensive pick-6 on the first drive, shouldn't count as winning the game.
Football is just as equally about defense, as it is about offense. Maybe not statistically with scoring, but in philosophy.
If a defense is not allowed to lose the game in OT, then they shouldn't be allowed to win it, either.

If it's all about offense, offense, and them getting the chance, then by that logic, a defensive pick-6 on the first drive, shouldn't count as winning the game.
Football is just as equally about defense, as it is about offense. Maybe not statistically with scoring, but in philosophy.

The ironic part about that is, for whatever reason, a Defensive pick-6 statistically goes against your Defense, as far as scoring goes.

Before I finished reading, I was thinking a full quarter would be ideal. Then you called it. Or even do like basketball and have a reduced quarter. I don't think any NFL fan would be opposed to OT being a 10 or 12 minute quarter.

The OT has been reduced to 10 minutes.

The OT has been reduced to 10 minutes.

Not in the playoffs. I believe the ones this weekend were set to 15 minutes, weren't they?

Right, they're 15 minutes in the playoffs.
The reasoning is clear.
Why abbreviate a playoff OT quarter, if there are no Ties in the playoffs, and they're just going to keep playing anyway, if it's still tied after the first OT quarter.

Not in the playoffs. I believe the ones this weekend were set to 15 minutes, weren't they?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

According to this, I am going to say no. They give the duration of an OT in the regular season, but do not provide a duration for OT in the playoffs, so I am going to assume they continue the same duration.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-overtime-rules/

Edit:

I see the rule now. The link I sent was just a summary, the actual rulebook states it clearly.

Right, they're 15 minutes in the playoffs.
The reasoning is clear.
Why abbreviate a playoff OT quarter, if there are no Ties in the playoffs, and they're just going to keep playing anyway, if it's still tied after the first OT quarter.

Where did you see 15 minutes in the playoffs? I just posted the link to the rule on NFL.com. Unless I over looked something, there is no change in the duration of the OT for the playoffs.

Edit:

I see the rule now. The link I sent was just a summary, the actual rulebook states it clearly.

Where did you see 15 minutes in the playoffs? I just posted the link to the rule on NFL.com. Unless I over looked something, there is no change in the duration of the OT for the playoffs.

I recall the clock starting at 15 minutes for OT this weekend.
And recall the same thoughts going through my mind at first.
Then I realized why it was 15 minutes.

I recall the clock starting at 15 minutes for OT this weekend.
The same thoughts went through my mind at first.
Then I realized why it was 15 minutes.

According to this, I am going to say no. They give the duration of an OT in the regular season, but do not provide a duration for OT in the playoffs, so I am going to assume they continue the same duration.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-overtime-rules/

Edit:

From this site you listed, I found the following:

"In 2017, NFL owners approved shortening overtime in the preseason and regular season to 10 minutes from 15. The rule change is aimed at improving player safety."

The ten minute length only applies to preseason and regular season games.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Looks like it's all over twitter, with the discussion about OT rules.
My question is, why is this, all of a sudden, an issue ?
They havn't given offenses equal opportunity in OT, EVER, in the 100 years the NFL has been around.
But it's just recently become an issue for critics.

Personally, I think ambiguity about rules like PI, are a much bigger issue.
If you're upset that the Saints didn't get another chance on offense, I think it's more disturbing the way the PI is, or isn't called on plays like the GW play

The whining always revolves around the freakin' Saints ðŸ'¿

Last year it was PI.

This year it is the OT rules.

In BOTH games New Orleans could have done things on the field to prevail but didn't get it done.

Lutz missed a FG earlier in the game yesterday that would have made the last kick a game winner.

Both times the Saints defense simply couldn't get a stop when they had to have one.

And what was most surprising was Drew Brees and Payton couldn't figure out a way to score more points against a defense without 2 of its top 4 corners coming in and losing Xavier Rhodes in the 4th quarter.

They got several calls their way, too.

Maybe, but lopsided none the less in favor of MN

Liked watching the defenses play so well and dreaming that Del Taco can get our squad flying to the ball like that.

I dig all the hires so far, except o-line. I believe these guys will pull us out of the gutter at minimum and at least a wildcard in 2022.

One that ranks up there for me is the trainer Vermilion. Just imagine Guice for 20 carries a game for 16 games. Or how much having Reed for the whole season would have helped. The players may have been hurt regardless but I truly believe we'll have more availability out of our roster moving forward, that's huge in the grand scheme of things.

Caps went through the same 2-3 year rash of player injuries in the 1980's and it didn't stop until a new training staff was brought in.

I dig all the hires so far, except o-line. I believe these guys will pull us out of the gutter at minimum and at least a wildcard in 2022.

One that ranks up there for me is the trainer Vermilion. Just imagine Guice for 20 carries a game for 16 games. Or how much having Reed for the whole season would have helped. The players may have been hurt regardless but I truly believe we'll have more availability out of our roster moving forward, that's huge in the grand scheme of things.

Speaking of Reed, I wonder when an official announcement will be made, whether he returns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.