• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

sorry, but his last season in Denver is one of legendary collapse. I watched the Chargers catch them after trailing by around 5 games, play them in the final game and beat them while denver looked like they had no idea what was happening.

he may have a great resume and 2 super bowls..but he went downhill fast enough that they forced him out from a team that won 2 super bowls. that is something you just dont hear of unless the coach has lost his touch.

His record speaks for itself. If you guys consider 1 losing season in his last 9 years losing his touch, I'd have loved to have had him running our team during that stretch. It's all relative.

after spending a few hours away i've stepped back from the ledge a bit. it's the worst combination possible - slow time of year (so I have not much to do at work) and the redskins sucking = me ranting and raving on the internet all day.

apologies.

I don't think he is a bad coach, Boone. Never said that. He can coach. My point is that he is a good enough coach that he should have done even better in the AFC West than he did those last 9 years but Shanahan the GM didn't give Shanahan the coach the players to do the job. In fact, he should be commended for doing as well as he did a couple of those years.

his record with Elway, Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, and Rod Smith speaks for itself. In that case Mark Rypien is one of the best QBs of all time.

8-8 is not a winning season when you lose the division after holding a 5 game lead

and in reversal; if you think that losing 2 in a row and then the last game to miss the playoffs isnt telling then I think we might need to figure out why not.

I understand your point Mike, but you're also focusing on a single season. I also think sometimes a coach's tenure with a team runs it's course. John Fox with Carolina and Tom Coughlin with Jacksonville are good relatively recent examples. Are they failures? They were certainly characterized as such as they left those towns. I'm not saying Shanahan will succeed In DC. But some describe him as if he's not a damn good coach. I think he's proven that he's a damn good coach.

after spending a few hours away i've stepped back from the ledge a bit. it's the worst combination possible - slow time of year (so I have not much to do at work) and the redskins sucking = me ranting and raving on the internet all day.

apologies.

We're all on the ledge. Just a matter of whether our brain is telling us to take a step forward or frantically cling to the edge. Honestly, I'm not sure which way is the way to go.

Maybe I'm being too patient, but to speak on the "grand scheme of things" I guess I'm less aggressive about it because I have a hard time believing we're going to see an over-night fix. It's going to take time to fix the franchise..

I like the philosophical approach. Think that way myself at times. Here's the problem (when I argue with myself!): today's NFL is about 2-4 year sprints. a whole team is never really built. you find your franchise QB and everyone else is…in some respects…a placeholder for the next guy. so the trick, for that 2-4 year period…is to have a sufficiently high overall level of talent that really, really plays as a team. with the cap (i.e., intentional leveling)….there really is no dominance. the winners are the ones who find talent and replace talent….within a system. I know…nothing new here. but us older farts know the difference - the Steel curtain dominated for a long time. that can not happen under the current construct.

I think Shanahan knows his stuff. Per previous, I am not so certain that the ZBS based running strategy works in a pass happy league.

I like the philosophical approach. Think that way myself at times. Here's the problem (when I argue with myself!): today's NFL is about 2-4 year sprints. a whole team is never really built. you find your franchise QB and everyone else is…in some respects…a placeholder for the next guy. so the trick, for that 2-4 year period…is to have a sufficiently high overall level of talent that really, really plays as a team. with the cap (i.e., intentional leveling)….there really is no dominance. the winners are the ones who find talent and replace talent….within a system. I know…nothing new here. but us older farts know the difference - the Steel curtain dominated for a long time. that can not happen under the current construct.

as Czabe put it yesterday. Today's NFL is a game won and lost at the margins.

it's also why consistency is something I was hoping for with this regime.

of course consistency for consistency's sake isn't a good thing.

I think the NFL is getting exactly what they wanted. They crippled us and it's working to perfection.

Absolutely disgusting, the corruption in this league. I'm just about done with the lot of them.

In the Norv and Spurrier years I was not nearly as attached to the team. I went to some games with my parents, but I was of an age that I just had a lot of other things going on or was just way too young. 1994 to 2003 I was 9 years old to 18 years old. :)

Zorn, my anger was what it was now.

So, I guess it really is true, that as men age and get older, they turn into grumpy old men.

images

I think the NFL is getting exactly what they wanted. They crippled us and it's working to perfection.

Absolutely disgusting, the corruption in this league. I'm just about done with the lot of them.

Yeah. I mean... yeah. I hear you sometimes ranting about being done with the league, and I'm rolling my eyes a little. And then I think about this ****, and I get REALLY mad and I know where you're coming from.

Boone - I've thought more about your comments on me saying the players should be embarrassed by a lack of fan support. You're right the problem isn't lack of effort or heart , so they probably don't deserve that.

There is one thing that is good about following a team like the Redskins, and that is I now get a decent night's sleep on Sunday night knowing I no longer have to be awake at 4am Monday morning. I'll just log in when I wake up to see how much we lost by, then go about my day.

Hey, we are all totally demoralized right now. I don't really blame anyone for dealing with that however they deal with that. I've actually been mostly impressed with how calm folks here have been.

I really don't know what the answer is and no idea what we'll see happen in the next year. Hope for the best prepare for the worst I guess. Same thing we've been doing for the past 20 years.

Yeah. I mean... yeah. I hear you sometimes ranting about being done with the league, and I'm rolling my eyes a little. And then I think about this ****, and I get REALLY mad and I know where you're coming from.

I know I know. I'm done ranting. :)

As a kid growing up, watching the team on Sunday, I could never understand how my Dad could get up in the middle of a game and say "I'm gonna go for a walk,be back later."

As a kid,I thought "how can a fan leave in the middle of a game?".

Years,coaches and players later...I truly understand.

The worst thing though is feeling numb...and I'm about there...again.

There is a reason for all of this.

Teams today are built through consistently drafting well, minus the teams with HOF QB's. You could argue the Redskins had drafted worse than any team in the league for 20 straight years before Shanahan got here.

So far I would give Shanahan a C+/B- in drafting, but he's also cost us some draft picks that he shouldn't have. I would give him a B in bringing in young FA's. He's definitely got us back on track and respectable in the player personnel department.

By getting RG3 and the cap penalty it's put us 2 to 3 years behind personnel wise of where we could be.

I'm so frustrated at this team right now I would like to fire everybody, but I would probably extend Shanahan's contract another 3 years after next.

Ultimately, we need to find mainstay people within the organization who can evaluate talent outside of coaches. Letting Vinny run things for so long was beyond comical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.