• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

The cap penalties didn't prevent Jarvis Jenkins from being an impact player at DE. They didn't consign another high pick in LeRibeus to being a 16 game spectator for the second year in a row.

The cap penalty also didn't make us trade for McNabb or sign Josh Morgan or Brandon Meriweather.

Every team makes mistakes. The Almighty Patriots traded for Haynesworth. Heck, they just let Wes Welker walk. You can pull example after example from EVERY team in the league for where they've screwed up. No one is perfect. Reed and AlMo sure are great though, aren't they? We've essentially been constructing a team with one arm tied behind our backs for the past two years because of that Son of a Mara. You're gonna win some and lose some, some of the losses might have been mitigated by some potential wins we would have had in FA had Mara not bent us over.

It is what it is. Shanny has done very well in some regards, and horribly in others. Just like most other front offices out there.

EDIT: Hell, go look at Belichick's attempts to draft a secondary. It gives me warm fuzzies all over.

How about LeRibeus, Gettis and Compton?

With the deficiencies on the OL you would figure even a merely solid player would get a chance to play here.

There are rookie linemen starting all over the league. Heck, Carolina has a converted DT starting at OG.

But not here. Lichtensteiger and Chester are the best we can come up with over 2-3 years?

Give me a break.

You can't start essentially 3 centers on your OL and hold up.

Lichtensteiger is 284. There are tight ends that big.

He and Chester simply can't anchor against the DTs that are 320-340.

If you don't think the line is important ask Eli Manning. He is having the worst year of his career and the fact three of his linemen have missed time is not a coincidence.

Last edited:
By the way every WR must be jealous as hell of Welker. Years under Brady, now having Peyton throwing you the ball.

Shanahan said yesterday that Josh Morgan had pro bowl ability.

Really? Based on what - speed, route running, great hands?

I would have asked him to resign immediately after those comments. That's your problem right there.

He also "put his name and reputation" on the line for John Beck. Well Beck was a joke, so now what?

And for those still stuck in disbelief, citing the cap hit as the big thing holding us back, what was the reason why Shanahan couldn't win a single playoff game in his last 10 years in Denver?

Redskins have the worst average starting position in the league at the 22.5 yard mark.

Worst average starting field position in the NFL in 30 seasons.

As much as I hate it, when looking at last season, we didn't lose because of a crappy OLine, nor did we win because of a great OLine. Robert's brilliance hid a LOT of flaws that are now coming to light largely because of his lack of brilliance, imo. If the FO doesn't address the OLine in a major way this off season, I'll be the one handing out torches for our BGO march on Ashburn. But we simply didn't have the cap room to make all the improvements we wanted to; personally, given the way the OLine played during the win streak, I don't have too much of a problem following their line of thinking. Yes, in retrospect it's a flawed thought process - if you gave Shanny truth serum, he'd probably admit that now.

Arm Chair management is easy.

I would have asked him to resign immediately after those comments. That's your problem right there.

He also "put his name and reputation" on the line for John Beck. Well Beck was a joke, so now what?

And for those still stuck in disbelief, citing the cap hit as the big thing holding us back, what was the reason why Shanahan couldn't win a single playoff game in his last 10 years in Denver?

Your John Beck argument is stupid. Is there a way to give lukewarm approval of your QBs abilities that won't damage their already fragile egos?

Your playoff argument is valid. That alone was my biggest problem with hiring Shanny in the first place. But we're stuck with him for now. I know Ry and others want us to go out and hire the next great assistant coach who wants to build his legacy, blah blah blah. Yeah, cause it's that easy. Sure. We talked ourselves into Norv, then Marty, Spurrier then Zorn, and I'm pretty sure none of them set out with the mindset that they wanted to lose. Hell, I'm pretty sure Shanny knows what people say about him from his Denver days, and that's probably a big part of what drives him. So far those people, including yourself, are absolutely correct. I don't know if he will turn it around, but I'd be willing to bet just about anything he is driven to do so.

I would be more agreeable if Lichtensteiger, Montgomery were not already in place before the cap penalty in 2012 and Chester got a 5 year $20M contract from us as a 2011 free agent.

Again, Shanahan seems now to be bringing up the cap since the team is in free fall, but quite a number of these personnel decisions were made in 2010 and 2011.

All I can tell you is that I have hired people before and wish I could have a mulligan on them. True, I'm not doling out millions, but mistakes get made all the time in hiring people; usually the cleanup process from those mistakes is a little easier than it has been here. Replacing those mistakes is a lot harder when you have no cap room to do so because of a jealous rival. I'm not excusing the initial mistake, Shanny should be judged, and judged harshly on those. I'm just saying correcting those mistakes has been difficult at best because of Mara.

Keith Burns if the attributed comment about how to field punts is to be believed is a complete boob like Slowik and just hanging onto a paycheck working with his buddy Mike.

Your John Beck argument is stupid. Is there a way to give lukewarm approval of your QBs abilities that won't damage their already fragile egos?

It's possible to show support for a player, without having a huge ego, and saying something as stupid as Shanahan did. Here's what else is stupid. Here's the Pro Bowl roster for NFC receivers:

x-Calvin Johnson, Detroit
x-Brandon Marshall, Chicago
*-Julio Jones, Atlanta
*-Victor Cruz, N.Y. Giants
y-Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona
y-Vincent Jackson, Tampa Bay

Now where exactly does Shanahan believe that Joshua Morgan fits into that group? Or was he referring to the Arena football league Pro Bowl?

Just stop. If the QBs need reassurance and coddling, the WRs need it 10x more. Hell, people say Calvin Johnson is one of the classiest, most self assured, non-diva WRs ever, and even then people say he needs his ego stroked. It is what it is. I get you're not a Shanahan fan, that's cool, I'm losing my fandom myself slowly but surely. But if you're going to worked up over a throw-away comment like this, and think he meant it seriously, I have to respectfully suggest you stop reading these transcripts. Coaches lie. A lot. For someone who is a huge NBA fan, I'd a thought you'd have known that from Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, etc. :)

And for God's sake, don't venture into the PA :paranoid:

Shanahan is not accountable.

He will make a statement and then when he is proven wrong later on he tries and stares reporters down for bringing it up.

Rather than manning up and admitting he was mistaken.

Nobody likes a prig. And Shanahan at these press conferences looks like he is squeezing a broom between his butt cheeks in delivering the same cliche dribble.

About the play calling.

Every coaching staff that ever existed has faced criticism about play calling.

Every.....****ing.....one.

I remember well Gibbs1 being criticized every time we lost. Multiply the venom of the fanbase because of modern technology, and we have what we have now.

Overreacting fans, due to frustration during times of losing. And yes, the media wants, and needs, as much turmoil as there can possibly be. 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Nuance it, over-analyze it, spin it, and qualify it any way you want. Play-calling is not the issue. Lack of execution is.

It's as simple as that.

This is incorrect, he won the divisional round vs. New England in 2005 with Jake Plummer at the helm. Also, in 2000 he lost the Wild Card game to the 2000 Ravens; I'll give him a pass on that one.

Also, in his last 10 years he made the playoffs in 4 of them - I think Redskins fans would be pretty happy with playoffs 40% of the time...just a hunch. We've been the playoffs 4 times in the past 21 seasons...

Is the cap penalty having an impact? No question. $18 million a year less is a lot in this day and age. That is 8 to 10 players of quality who would cause us to drop our lowest 8 to 10 quality guys currently on the roster. There would certainly be 2 to 4 starters in those 8 to 10 players as well, maybe more, which would upgrade our starting 22. The rest would absolutely upgrade our dismal Special Teams units.

However, I don't view the end of the cap penalty as a cure all for next year. Why? You have to have the players on the market and I'm just not sure that will happen. Not the guys we need and not necessarily guys who are clear upgrades over what we have now. There will be some but will there be enough? And can we get them without over paying just because we have the space?

Then you have to look at the draft. I'm sorry but we have not drafted well since Bobby Beathard was here and certainly includes Shanahan's efforts. Are we drafting "better" now than we were under Cerrato/Gibbs? Yeah, I believe so but frankly that is damn low bar to get over. We should be getting starters in the first 3 rounds and getting them more often than not. We can't say that.

Simply put, while our talent is better now than it was under Zorn, and probably also under Gibbs, it is still not what it should be for an NFL club.

The myth that 'Shanahan sucked at Denver' just gets repeated over and over by Skins fans. Never mind that it's patently false. In 14 years at The helm in Denver Shanahan had two, that's TWO losing seasons. In his last 9 seasons there (you know, when he was supposedly at his most terrible) he had one losing season. That's ONE. Because,you know, Shanahan is a horrible talent evaluator. And that record speaks to a lot more than having a franchise QB under center.

Those are dreamy stats compared to what the Skins managed during that period.

Playoffs are only one measure of success but even there as LL has stated he far surpassed previous Redskins coaches.

He hasn't gotten it done here yet, but if you don't think Shanahan can coach, I think the evidence says otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.