• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

The league approved every contract during the uncapped year. Every contract. More than unfair - it was collusion.

The cap most certainly plays a role. Eighteen mil each year amounts to about ten or twelve quality players. That has an impact. We get V. Jackson and not J. Morgan. We get three quality Olinemen and not a rag-tag bunch of throw-togethers. Same for the Dline and toss in a good safety and not a headhunter. Get a solid CB.

The team had a plan in FA for the 2012 offseason and that is after the trade to get our franchise QB. The league decided on the eve of FA to pull the plug on us. Collusion and a backroom deal derailed a lot of what we wanted to do in FA over the last two seasons. Again, the cap crap played a significant role.

The league approved every contract during the uncapped year. Every contract. More than unfair - it was collusion.

The cap most certainly plays a role. Eighteen mil each year amounts to about ten or twelve quality players. That has an impact. We get V. Jackson and not J. Morgan. We get three quality Olinemen and not a rag-tag bunch of throw-togethers. Same for the Dline and toss in a good safety and not a headhunter. Get a solid CB.

The team had a plan in FA for the 2012 offseason and that is after the trade to get our franchise QB. The league decided on the eve of FA to pull the plug on us. Collusion and a backroom deal derailed a lot of what we wanted to do in FA over the last two seasons. Again, the cap crap played a significant role.

I couldn't agree more BB

Can we really fault Haslett for running the 3-4 with the personnel we have, that was Shanny's decision, if I'm not mistaken Haslett ran the 4-3 the majority of his coaching career. I'm not a fan of his hiring but forcing a square peg in a round hole isn't his fault, and quite frankly, we lack talent just like we do on offense.

Totally agree.

But for me, I lost almost all respect for ShanAllenyder when they laid down and took it up the rear with zero resistance.

Sheepishly gutless, IMO.

Which now seems to have trickled down to the rest of the team.

The cap penalty does not bother me at all.
I think the league did us a favor.

How did we end up with the cap penalty in the first place ?
By signing Albert Haynesworth.
What have the Redskins been doing in Free Agency, since Day One, when Snyder first became owner ?
Signing Albert Haynesworths.
So naturally, what would the Skins most likely have done with the cap money, if they were not penalized ?
Signed another Albert Haynesworth.....or two.

Yes, signing multiple, quality, character guys at various positions of needs, at the peaks of their careers, to reasonable contracts, sounds great in theory.
But would this front office actually have done that, if no cap penalty was imposed ?
History says, probably not.
How many great seasons have we had in the Snyder era, when NO cap penalty was imposed ?

Last edited:
I wish we had gotten away with it, but they need to accept responsibility for it.

With what, exactly?

We got penalised $36mill for doing nothing wrong. We signed players to contracts in an uncapped year, and the NFL approved said contracts. If the NFL approved them, they were all withing the rules.

But, smeone from the vaGiants decided it was against the rules to heavily front lad contracts in an uncapped year, and got what he wanted and that was a heavy penalty on two of his division rivals. Surprisingly, no other team got penalised, just two from the NFC East.

If you think that hasn't affected us, look at all the free agents who visited, but due to the lack of money, signed elsewhere. There are at least three starters at other teams who visited Redskins Park. Look at how many of those players are again free agents at the end of this season and we'll see how many sign.

How many great seasons have we had in the Snyder era, when NO cap penalty was imposed ?

How many seasons have we had in the Snyder era where Snyder has NOT been involved in the signing of players?

Wasn't one of the reasons Allen came onboard was the guarantee that Snyder would NOT stick his nose into player selection?

What have the Redskins been doing in Free Agency, since Day One, when Snyder first became owner ?
Signing Albert Haynesworths.
So naturally, what would the Skins most likely have done with the cap money, if they were not penalized ?
Signed another Albert Haynesworth.....or two.

But would this front office actually have done that, if no cap penalty was imposed ?
History says, probably not.

this is a different time. I know it's very difficult to disconnect this regime from years past, but those mistakes were made with a completely different set of people in charge. I personally am very interested in what Shanahan/Allen will be able to do this offseason, and I think we will be pleasantly surprised with the moves he makes.

This. The fact that we got hit literally hours away from the start of free agency was what told me it was purposeful and collusion. I get what SC is saying, that the on the field execution (or lack thereof) can't blamed on the cap penalty completely, but it sure takes up a lot of that pie chart. If those contracts were illegal, they never should have been approved. Period.

Tickets for the MNF game on nfl ticket exchange are going for about face value. Trying to figure out if i want to sell mine.

Certainly finding it hard to justify taking a half day off work for the clown show this team has become. Plus, these players don't deserve a home crowd. THey deserve to have their stadium overrun with 49ers fans on national tv.

Tickets for the MNF game on nfl ticket exchange are going for about face value. Trying to figure out if i want to sell mine.

Certainly finding it hard to justify taking a half day off work for the clown show this team has become. Plus, these players don't deserve a home crowd. THey deserve to have their stadium overrun with 49ers fans on national tv.

Great attitude :) I actually share the frustration but I don't find any joy in spewing disdain for the players. I think they are playing as hard as they can - I really do. It sucks that our team is losing but I'll never hope our stadium gets overrun and that we get further embarrassed.

You be the one that has to take off half a day of work and sit in the cold for this garbage football. For years. Let me know how it changes your attitude ;)

I've sat through monday/sunday/thursday night games where we get blown the **** out by New York, Philly, and other teams on a regular basis over the last 7 years. Player responses? They shrug their shoulders.

I'm tired of being the one that's embarrassed. I'm tired of driving home at 1 AM on a Tuesday when I have to work the next day, sad because our team is a laughingstock.

They can keep playing hard, but at the end of the day we're among the worst teams in the league right now. There is no participation trophy.

edit: it's just really different when you have tickets. i'm really ****ing angry at this team, especially with the rumors flying around about what's going on inside the locker room. if you've had them while they've sucked then you know wha ti mean. look at how many people here didn't even bother to sit on their couch for 3 hours to watch the game this weekend. the team is bad. really, really bad; or at least they're playing really really bad football.
i don't have that option, unless i want to just throw hundreds of dollars away.
kick off isn't even until 8:40 - thanks NFL! - so i'm thinking i'll just metro it to avoid spending 6 hours in the parking lot waiting for the redskins to go out and **** their pants in front of the whole country.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the MNF game is just what we need right now.
Players don't want to get embarrassed on national TV, any more than fans do.
Any players that might have otherwise subconsciously given up on the season, might find extra motivation to kick it up a notch on MNF, at least for the sake of their pride.
Hopefully the national audience, plus the challenge of beating a serious contender, ignites this team to some kind of streak to finish out the year.

Last edited:
You be the one that has to take off half a day of work and sit in the cold for this garbage football. For years. Let me know how it changes your attitude ;)

I've sat through monday/sunday/thursday night games where we get blown the **** out by New York, Philly, and other teams on a regular basis over the last 7 years. Player responses? They shrug their shoulders.

I'm tired of being the one that's embarrassed. I'm tired of driving home at 1 AM on a Tuesday when I have to work the next day, sad because our team is a laughingstock.

They can keep playing hard, but at the end of the day we're among the worst teams in the league right now. There is no participation trophy.

While I respect your opinion, and feelings on the situation, many are different. Me, I'd give my left nut to sit in the cold, pay over inflated prices for everything, and watch my team play the game, win or loose.

I think the MNF game is just what we need right now.
Players don't want to get embarrassed on national TV, any more than fans do.
Any players that might have otherwise subconsciously given up on the season, might find extra motivation to kick it up a notch on MNF.
Hopefully the national audience, plus the challenge of beating a serious contender, ignites this team to some kind of streak to finish out the year.

Yeah, or it'll be like this one was ;)

And we'll be spending the 4th quarter watching redskins fans fist fight other redskins fans.

edit: it's just really different when you have tickets. i'm really ****ing angry at this team, especially with the rumors flying around about what's going on inside the locker room. if you've had them while they've sucked then you know wha ti mean. look at how many people here didn't even bother to sit on their couch for 3 hours to watch the game this weekend. the team is bad. really, really bad; or at least they're playing really really bad football.
i don't have that option, unless i want to just throw hundreds of dollars away.
kick off isn't even until 8:40 - thanks NFL! - so i'm thinking i'll just metro it to avoid spending 6 hours in the parking lot waiting for the redskins to go out and **** their pants in front of the whole country.

I totally get that - I've been a season ticket holder. Whether or not you choose to go to the games is totally a personal decision. I was responding to your stating you hope FedEx Field gets overrun by opposing fans as if the players need to be 'punished' for not living up to our expectations. They are being punished just like we are by suffering through this season. My opinion.

While I respect your opinion, and feelings on the situation, many are different. Me, I'd give my left nut to sit in the cold, pay over inflated prices for everything, and watch my team play the game, win or loose.

That's how i used to be too. It has worn on me.

It's one thing to lose a game, or not be good. It's another to be a dysfunctional organization for 15 years running. Everyone's different and enjoys different things. This is just the way it is for me at this point.

If they start playing competent football I'll enjoy going to the games. But to go to a monday night game, in the DC area, is hell and to do it for the quality of football we're playing? Hah.

Yeah, or it'll be like this one was ;)

As for the Swinging Gate Play.......

budlight-3.jpg

Last edited:
I keep hearing people say that it's a dysfunctional organization - and I am not sure that's really true. There are reports of tension and conflict - and there is always going to be some of that when you are 3-7. I don't know that our stepping back this year (especially given some of the unusual circumstances that have contributed to our lack of success this season) equals a dysfunctional organization. Of course, I'm not listening to the DC sports media spewing conspiracy and venom 24/7. I heard Dan Lebotard on ESPN spewing last evening - he felt that RG3's comment about the Eagles 'knowing what was coming' in the first half was some huge intentional throwing of the coaching staff under the bus. I didn't read it that way at all and it's shocking to me when people take a comment like that which could be almost innocuous and turn it into the team imploding and there being a war between coaches and players. I think our world view is pretty skewed from some of the dysfunctional stuff we've seen over the years, but I don't think the lockerroom or culture is in anything like the horrible shape a lot if folks are implying it is. Of course no one except the folks involved know for sure, but mostly I see a team that's not playing well but that still appears to be fighting and mostly supporting one another.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.