• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

If I were Dwayne Haskins, short some amazing degree of change like bringing in a legit GM and a highly qualified HC and new staff, I'd refuse to report in 2020. I'd be damned if I wanted to have my career reliant on this organization. Sure - he'd take major heat and might have to sit out a year, but I think it would be worth it for him to get the chance to play somewhere, anywhere else.

You release Norman because he isn't helping the team win and at 31 is too old to be part of even a mild rebuild here.

There is no corner in the NFL whose cap hit vs. performance gap is as large.

Dunbar is the team's #1 corner on the field there is no point in continuing the fiction that Norman is a leader or soul of the defense type player.

The truth is the younger players are carrying him 😈

If Marcus Peters who still can play yields a #5 pick and a backup LB in trade, there won't be any takers for Norman.

If someone else want to bring him in to be their #4 corner at vet minimum, that doesn't bother me.

It gives me a chance to see more of Moreau, Moreland, Colvin and the other younger players.

It's called addition by subtraction.

If I were Dwayne Haskins, short some amazing degree of change like bringing in a legit GM and a highly qualified HC and new staff, I'd refuse to report in 2020. I'd be damned if I wanted to have my career reliant on this organization. Sure - he'd take major heat and might have to sit out a year, but I think it would be worth it for him to get the chance to play somewhere, anywhere else.

Maybe.

There's a reason he slipped to 15. Is there something out there on how he was rated on other draft boards?

I have the same reservations El had about him, but differ in that that I feel that we need to groom him and see what he can do. Let's be sure before moving on. It's silly to make a decision when the former HC didn't give him much support or grooming. Callahan is taking a more "franchise" interest oriented approach. My opinion, of course, is subject to radical change if we don't see Haskins playing in the next game or two. Keenum doesn't have it and I believe Colt is datum outbound. Keep giving Haskins snaps wtih the first unit in practice and put him in there - sooner rather than later.

Well, we could have called an out pattern to Quinn or another WR and had Sherman jump it for a pick.

Keenum doesn't scare anyone in must have passing situations.

His balls arrive high and late.

He is only effective off play action.

Well, we could have called an out pattern to Quinn or another WR and had Sherman jump it for a pick.

Agree. His accuracy isn't what I hoped it would be.

So, you're just as scared to try as Callahan was?

Hell, at least you'd show you were at least trying to be in the game by passing on 3rd and 8.

BTW, who says Sherman could stay with Mclaurin? But we'll never know now.....

Let's face it - unti we strengthen the secondary and LBs further.....we have a mid-tier/15th ranked type defense. Playing to our current strength, run game, makes sense, but it won't win many games. Kinda obvious, but the offense is what needs major improvements..in a lotta positions. Unfortunately, at the moment, it doesn't look look like the FO is positioning the team for a mini-rebuild (i.e., offense).

I wouldn't think O'Connell would call 12 run plays in a row but that's just my opinion. Saw Callahan on the sideline with the call sheet so who knows?

It is out of character for this team, but historically teams do tend to run more with a very messy field, and constant rain. Thing is, it worked on that first drive. Of course, it seems we can never finish, but Niners had nothing to counter. I'm not thrilled with the play calling... the 4th and 1 where they get Peterson behind the line comes to mind. I really can't bitch about Callahan, as overall we're getting flagged less, and the team seems to be more cohesive. We stood toe to toe with what many view as the best team in the NFC, and didn't get embarrasses. These days, I can't ask for too much more.

The team is playing as well as the talent will allow.

The defense is healthier and has more playmakers, so with a kick in the ass and some more focused coaching you expect decent results.

On offense this team is a mess.

There was no legit TE on the field for us today.

We didn't have a RB that scares anyone on the edge.

And as indicated the qb is exposed when having to throw when the WR is not wide open a la McLaurin against Miami.

If there's coverage Keenum can't thread the needle and get the completions.

Maybe.

There's a reason he slipped to 15. Is there something out there on how he was rated on other draft boards?

I have the same reservations El had about him, but differ in that that I feel that we need to groom him and see what he can do. Let's be sure before moving on. It's silly to make a decision when the former HC didn't give him much support or grooming. Callahan is taking a more "franchise" interest oriented approach. My opinion, of course, is subject to radical change if we don't see Haskins playing in the next game or two. Keenum doesn't have it and I believe Colt is datum outbound. Keep giving Haskins snaps wtih the first unit in practice and put him in there - sooner rather than later.

'Slipped to 15'? The Giants were the only team needing a QB who drafted in front of us. They chose Daniel Jones. It's way to early to call that decision a success or mistake, but Jones only average arm and propensity to cough it up is showing itself already. There's no guarantee that if the Redskins had the 6th pick in the draft, that they wouldn't have drafted Haskins regardless.

What I love about Redskins fans? Jay Gruden is an incompetent idiot. Except when the DC media pushes the narrative that Haskins was forced on Jay by Snyder. Then all of a sudden, it's the FO who are negligent idiots because they forced the wise supreme talent evaluator Gruden to accept their horrible choice of Dwayne Haskins on him :) See where I'm going with this?

None of us have any definitive idea what we have in Haskins. As is always true in the NFL (and especially with QBs), only time will tell.

But anyone uttering the phrase 'move on' when it comes to Haskins at QB after getting thrust into action with little prep for less than a half of football - I'm sorry, but that's just meaningless noise to my ears.

The team is playing as well as the talent will allow.

The defense is healthier and has more playmakers, so with a kick in the ass and some more focused coaching you expect decent results.

On offense this team is a mess.

There was no legit TE on the field for us today.

We didn't have a RB that scares anyone on the edge.

And as indicated the qb is exposed when having to throw when the WR is not wide open a la McLaurin against Miami.

If there's coverage Keenum can't thread the needle and get the completions.

I disagree to a degree. Did Scherff and Moses and Roullier make stupid drive-killing penalties because of their 'talent' level? Did the offensive starters, including those who have obvious and innate talent, call for a gameplan where we'd barely get into double digits for passing attempts?

I'm certainly not arguing this is an uber-talented team. But it's a team that is talented enough not to be 1-6. And if today's 'game plan' and effort doesn't confirm that, I don't know what does. We were in a position to win today if we could manage any kind of respectable offense at all. And we couldn't.

Keenum sucks and yet, we'll have to kidnap Callahan's relatives to get him off the field. AP is suddenly looking pretty old and there's no replacement available for a power rushing game. I thought Smallwood looked good in spots, but we don't have the horses to run a power rushing attack. Tell that to 'Fleetwood Mac is the tops' Bill Callahan who's stuck so far in the 1970's, he still wears bell bottoms around the house. We barely got our best offensive player (McLaurin) involved.

A really good coach gets a lot more from this team.

Callahan is a total sham.

There's a reason why every Redskins media email identifies him loudly and clearly as 'Interim Head Coach Bill Callahan'.

I cannot wait for this shit-show of a season to be over.

'Slipped to 15'? The Giants were the only team needing a QB who drafted in front of us. They chose Daniel Jones.

Dolphins...they chose Rosen over him. Bengals need to move on from Dalton, they could have chosen him. The Jags, but they chose Foles.

While not all the decisions were made during the draft, as many as 5 teams were in need of QB. Not one of them decided to stay put and draft Haskins.

None of us have any definitive idea what we have in Haskins. As is always true in the NFL (and especially with QBs), only time will tell.

I'd bet the house on it.

But anyone uttering the phrase 'move on' when it comes to Haskins at QB after getting thrust into action with little prep for less than a half of football - I'm sorry, but that's just meaningless noise to my ears.

Meanwhile, there were so many who thought the Cardinals were throwing away equity when they decided to draft Kyler Murray. They are sitting in a far better place with him behind center than Josh Rosen. You think the Cardinals are thinking it's meaningless noise about this time. The precedent has been set, if you draft a QB in the 1st round one year, and the following year you have a chance to draft a better one...pull the trigger, cut bait, or whatever else you want to call it, but make the move to make the team better...don't rely on what could be.

Like you and many others said when RG3 was drafted, it doesn't matter how much you spend for a franchise QB...they are priceless. So that 15 pick from last year is not worth that much if we have a chance at one of the 2 QB's who will be better in the NFL than Haskins ever will.

Actually Boone the answer to your question could be yes in re the talent gap.

Brian Mitchell has a discussion a couple of weeks ago in re the penalties and the coaching.

In answer to a caller's question he said penalties could be put into a couple of categories.

They could be the result of poor technique/coaching/execution.

He also posited that some players continue to commit penalties because they are being beaten physically.

In Morgan Moses' case the discussion went that with his cumulative injuries in recent years Moses may very well have lost some quickness and is holding because he no longer is capable of defending the edge.

The illegal motion calls then could go along with that narrative as Moses is keyed to getting off the line faster because he is now vulnerable in certain passing downs against the better rushers.

So declining physical skills may have a part to play in Moses, Norman, and others being flagged as veterans.

El,

So you'd part ways with the number 15 pick before even giving him a shot in extended game action?

Seriously?

Based on past history and the draft, we all knew the deal. Not drafting a TE? Total stupidity. We're as weak at that position this year as we were at WR last year.

And why did anyone here believe that Dan outsmarted the rest of the league when he picked Haskins? That would be the first time in history that happened. And why was Dan even making the pick? He promised he would never do that again.

El,

So you'd part ways with the number 15 pick before even giving him a shot in extended game action?

Seriously?

Never would have drafted him in the 1st place. But the answer is YES! If we have a shot at Tua.

Three schools of thought in re Haskins:

1. The team overdrafted Haskins and while he has NFL talent he is as raw as later picks like Lock. So he will need development, the type you usually don't see for top of the draft passers in the basics.

2. Haskins should have been on the field earlier with better preparation but because Gruden and perhaps Allen were feeling pressure for their jobs were not going to risk it all on a rookie. So, getting Haskins ready sooner rather than later was not a priority for anyone. Which of course seems ridiculous now at 1-6.

3. Haskins is a bust. He may have a strong arm but has no natural feel for the NFL game and how the qb plays in an NFL system. Because this is embarrassing to the organization they do not want to put Haskins out there in extended time to show that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.