• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I think Gruden knows he won't make it to week 16 and is trying to make some kind of a point on the way out. I definitely think Haskins is inactive this Sunday, and Jay knows exactly what he's doing. If Gruden wasn't already slated to be fired in the immediate future, relegating Haskins to the inactive list, and the videos that surfaced just now on Twitter will guarantee it.
What videos?

You'll have to go to Twitter to see them - I'm not going to post them or host them here. Basically Gruden partying, appears to be smoking a joint, and hanging out with a young lady. Whether or not they are recent or not, I don't know. I think it's beyond shitty that a 'Redskins fan' would post them at this point though. Just creates more drama which is the last thing this team needs.

Ahh...that explains why they aren't on my regular stream of mainstream Redskins journalists, etc.

Did Brucifer put them out there? 🙈

I thought the Gruden boys hung out at Hooters to admire the jugs 😆😆😆😆😆

Would it be considered tampering to interview other teams front offices to poach a gm or is that rule only for players? If Dan has even 1/2 a braincell in his head he`s doing this now like started last week urgent

Last edited:
That's one of the tricky things about mid-season firings. You have to have a plan for the replacements.

In 2000 Dan fired Norv and then went about asking who wanted the job.

Robiskie said he would walk away as the OC if Pepper Rodgers was hired so Dan hires him instead.

We all see how that worked out.

You would need to ask for permission to interview candidates although my guess is they would go with Kyle Smith as the interim until the offseason.

I keep thinking on one hand we go scorched earth and clean house completely. But then remember Kyle Smith and the last few drafts we`ve had. Hell he could be that hidden gem we`ve desperately needed to run the show.

I'll always be a backer of promoting within, unless the well has been completely poisoned by the Bruce. Smith has been with the team a minute too and has seen firsthand what doesn`t work. So maybe promotion for KS and letting go of Bruce & the coaching staff is the cure.

Jay Gruden's strategy now becomes clear.

He names Colt the starter but refuses to name his backup ‘at this time'.

What Jay is angling to do is start Colt, promote Case as the backup and then make Haskins inactive for the next 11 weeks or until he gets fired.

In fact I think it is his intention to provoke others within the organization by making this move.

One of the mistakes the Redskins made was not getting rid of both Gruden and McCoy after 2017.

These guys are joined at the hip and I remember Jay saying when Kirk left and before Alex was acquired that he could turn to Colt as the starter.

So, put aside any issues with Haskins for a minute.

Gruden's preference for the past two plus years was to get Colt on the field as the starter.

This is concerning to me as we are going beyond the pick of Dwayne or starting a rookie arguments we have been seeing.

Jay Gruden is delusional enough to think a quarterback with limited NFL ability can be successful strictly because he knows THIS system.

In the end it's not about the player or the talent, it's strictly about ego.

Jay's overweening ego in his system is what is really the stumbling block.

We could bring in Patrick Mahomes and Jay would still want to start McCoy.

As with the 3-4 defense, I don't see how you can move forward as an organization being this inflexible.

Coaching as Joe Gibbs, Parcells and Belichick have shown is about playing to the talent and building a team to win.

The Patriots have been 3-4, 4-3 and variations thereof in their Super Bowl wins.

Gibbs moved from a one back offense with two TEs in 1982 to a three wide receiver, one TE scheme in 1991.

Those two offenses really were not similar as Joe and Mark had different strengths and weaknesses.

Gruden needs to go if he thinks Colt McCoy at 32 and not having won a game since 2014 is the long term answer, this team is truly lost.

A week or two ago, I was going to post that I think Jay is trying to get fired. I went to post it 3 or 4 times and decided not to. It sound too wacky and too far out there. But the way things are going, I really think he is daring the Redskins to fire him. I don't know his contract situation, but I would think he gets more by being fire than just not having his contract be renewed at the end of the year. So he can do subtle little things to see if they will fire him, as long as he's not outright throwing games to where he gets fired for cause. So he's going to play Colt to show he knows more than everyone else. He won't prepare or develop Haskins because he's not the guy he wanted. He's going to show everyone this week that Colt is the guy he really wants. I'm sure he figures if he's going out, he's going to do it his way. Then see if they really want to fire him or make him ride it out.

Well, what seems clear to me is that Gruden will not get another HC job in the NFL. If he departs he will be going back to the safety of his brother's embrace.

The real mistake here was in evaluating Jay Gruden the man and somehow determining he was head coaching material.

Bobby Beathard said that what set Joe Gibbs apart during interviews was his extreme attention to detail and the fact he already had a complete list of assistant coaches because he had been preparing to be a HC for several seasons!

Sounds a lot like Belichick and Reid.

Sounds like Sean McVay.

The assistants like Norv and Josh McDaniels that excel as a coordinator don't show those kind of organizational skills in building a staff and team roster.

A head coach wears multiple hats.

Jay Gruden even after 6 years has only shown that he can handle one, OC.

And that's what he will go back to.

But with the nice consolation prize of $30 million in his pocket.

So, ultimately he got paid for wasting our time.

Most people don't get that much compensation in life when they are wildly successful.

Staying with 2019 this season is a dumpster fire.

So far in order the team has lost by 5, 10, 16 and 21 points.

That is the trend line of a team that is getting less competitive. Especially as Chicago and NY do not have dynamic offenses.

I can picture what McCoy brings to this mess.

A guy that knows the offense and will throw short to the backs, run WR screens and complete some intermediate routes.

But as teams figure out he can't beat them quick or over the top, teams will lock down and start to jump routes and then as before there will be turnovers and negative plays.

This is what happened in Cleveland before Washington.

This is why he was available to the Redskins when other teams passed on him.

Last edited:
What a crazy turn of events.

Jay announces Colt as the starter (John Keim said he and nearly every other HC would do the same) and 45 minutes later a video leaks out.

Bruce again?

What HC is going to want to come here next?

This game will be great against the Patriots and I can't wait to see what happens after.

I know there are a lot of fans pushing that conspiracy theory. But applying logic - the Redskins have every ability to fire Jay Gruden at any time. They don't need to use mob tactics to somehow discredit him. The whole idea is ridiculous. Obviously some fan saw the opportunity to kick Gruden when he's down and get a bunch of clicks and shares in doing so - and so he took it. Some (including PFT) are floating the idea that Allen orchestrated this in order to somehow get out of having to pay Gruden if they do let him go mid-season. Get out of paying him how? It's not even clear that he's doing anything other than smoking a cigarette. There's nothing remotely close to misconduct in those videos.

You're smarter than that McD5. It's more than enough to dislike Allen for all the real legitimate reasons without making up additional nonsense.

I know there are a lot of fans pushing that conspiracy theory. But applying logic - the Redskins have every ability to fire Jay Gruden at any time. They don't need to use mob tactics to somehow discredit him. The whole idea is ridiculous. Obviously some fan saw the opportunity to kick Gruden when he's down and get a bunch of clicks and shares in doing so - and so he took it. Some (including PFT) are floating the idea that Allen orchestrated this in order to somehow get out of having to pay Gruden if they do let him go mid-season. Get out of paying him how? It's not even clear that he's doing anything other than smoking a cigarette. There's nothing remotely close to misconduct in those videos.

You're smarter than that McD5. It's more than enough to dislike Allen for all the real legitimate reasons without making up additional nonsense.

And not only that, there are reports that the videos are a year old if not older. I think more than likely it's some disgruntled fan.

Last edited:
I can't imagine the Skins are worried about paying the remainder of his salary this year. It's not like they are trying to get rid of him with a few years left on his contract. "league officials" with pure speculation. It wouldn't surprise me if those "league officials" were in the mailroom. Anything to get a click.

It's unfortunate that sensation sells in the worl of media, but absolutely nothing is that surprising anymore regarding this team. The longer Dan prolongs the inevitable of firing Bruce the continued speculation and click baits will continue.

I read every article concerning the skins nowadays with a meh. Basically it doesn't matter until either Dan stumbles into the next good gm or he sells the team to someone willing to find one.

There should be plenty of mediaa coverage tomorrow so hopefully the bag over the heads and #FireBruce types take full advantage of the situation

I definitely believe that was Bruce for about ten different reasons. If Dan the miser fires him and tries to avoid paying the rest of his contract for the season, we'll know for sure.

I definitely believe that was Bruce for about ten different reasons. If Dan the miser fires him and tries to avoid paying the rest of his contract for the season, we'll know for sure.

First 9 reasons being because you want to believe it :) There's nothing in those videos that would allow Snyder to fire Gruden 'for conduct'. The videos were posted by a Redskins fan. So you're saying, you really believe that Bruce Allen approached a Skins fan, said 'hey, I hear you have a video that makes Jay Gruden look bad - here's a grand to post it on Twitter'?

You really believe that?

Snyder is a sneaky bastard. His plan all along? Pay Gruden for 5/12 seasons in order to lure him into complacency so he can spring his trap on him and get out of paying for the last half of the season.

Criminal genius at it's best. Come on McD5 - you really are smarter than that.

The vids came from Dave Portnoy and he has been in possession of them for more than two years. The vids were taken by someone who recognized Jay and Portnoy was able to obtain them - not sure if he got the vids for free, but the cost was reportedly for a place in one of BR's pizza reviews.

He did sit on the vids for a long time. So why did Portnoy release the vids now? And did Dan Snyder know about the vids before this week? All of it is interesting and the timing is curious as well.

The guy who posted them yesterday had the handle 'Polo Blanco' - @BubbaChuck757' who pretty quickly made his account private after he started getting pushback from myself and others as to his motives...

As to the guy you are referencing or whether or not he is the one who possessed the videos - I can't say.

But unless someone has something other than pure speculation suggesting the Front Office had something to do with releasing the videos - I'm not a fan of suggesting they had anything to do with it. This isn't PFT :)

All I'm saying is that it is curious - nothing more, nothing less. And yes, Portnoy has been sitting on them for a long time. No idea what that means and we may never get an answer.

All I know is that this is just another negative for the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.