• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

We need to clean ****ing house. New GM, new coaches, and as BD stated, drop anyone who is not contributing. In the offseason, I would try to trade or release (at a minimum) the following guys:

Norman
Kerrigan
Robert Davis
Vernon Davis
Sprinkle (unless he shows major improvement down the stretch)
Christian
Bergstrom
Moses
McCoy
Peterson
Apke
I'd also thin the LB and Corner ranks. We can't cut them all in one offseason but the guys who haven't been able to stay on the field or perform to expectations need to go.

I'm all for going young, young, young. We may be in a position to have a roster-shifting draft next year if we play our cards right. Time to finish the rebuild.

For this season, I'd hold onto Vernon Davis. But yeah, time to dump the dead weight.

Trade Kerrigan for a 3rd or 4th?
Trade Norman for a 5th?
The rest? Yeah well, we'd get nothing fro them anyway.

I don't know that getting rid of every single player over 25 is the way to go. :) It may feel good to purge but we do need SOME players to help new players transition.

Cap space is wonderful, but only as a tool to get players. If you purge expensive guys just because they are expensive, well, that and quarter will get you a cup of coffee. It's only worth something if you use the cap space they free up.

But that's where you're wrong Henry. I was a huge proponent of what seemed like a blunder on their part to draft a QB in the 1st round, again. But you know what they did, they got all new leadership, decided that Murray was the direction they wanted to go with Kingsbury who ran a scheme Rosen was unfit to run. Then they ended up getting the Dolphins 2nd round pick, which looks like it will be the 1st pick in the 2nd round, on top of a later round pick to compensate them for the lost 1st rounder.

After watching 2 of Arizona's first 3 games of this season, and admitting it is a limited example, they are a far better team this year with Kyler Murray behind center, than they were with Rosen last year. So under new leadership who wanted to go in another direction, that's a push without playing a game to see Murray's potential on the field. Now that we've seen the kid is rather dynamic, looks a lot like Russell Wilson in his 1st season with Seattle, I'd say it was a bold move that looks like it will bear fruit.

That's what I'd like to see here, a whole new change in leadership from Allen down every single coach on either side of the ball, unless they choose to keep O'Connell who seems to be another young brilliant mind. And if that leadership decides to go with another QB because Haskins isn't their guy, I'm fine with it...in fact, I hope for it.

I am fully supportive of clearing out the entire front office and starting over at the top. Absolutely.

That said, if there's one thing that Dan Snyder has shown us, it's that grabbing The Shiny New Toy is a recipe for failure. And there is no greater example of this than drafting one first round QB after another. Now, if Arizona somehow gets away with it (and the jury is still WAY out on that) they would be the Exception, not the rule. I would not, and would never, base a long term team strategy on what they are doing right now. They will need to get real lucky, and waiting to get real lucky is not a strategy I think will work here, whether or not they get away with it there.

Lots of things should happen this upcoming offseason.

But the first order of business is to beat the ****ing giants.

And, if we happen to get a whole new FO sometime soon, I'd rather that they have a chance to evaluate the roster, before purging it.
Sure, there are some moves that could happen before the trade deadline. But an all out rebuilding fire sale now, and every remaining player on the team will shut down. Any free agent would be more likely to leave after the season. And any one we'd want wouldn't be very excited about coming here. Except for the money. Which we have gotten away from. Which is a good thing.

I understand that a proper fan always roots for their team to win., honestly I do. However this shit show of a coaching staff shouldnt be allowed to continue `if` Jay and Manusky somehow Forrest Gump their way to a victory over the gnats. It only prolongs the inevitable, they wont be back next season.

I'm hoping full throttle that Dan is secretly asking teams to interview our next GM from decent teams as we speak, and will anounce this person in addition to Bruce`s firing on Monday. That way Callahan can give reigns over to Oconnel & Tomsula to finish the season while new guy plots the next series of moves. A monstrous what-if but letting Grudusky hit the bricks may solve the glaring issues we see week after week.

Do any of the other members of the ownership group ever lend a comment regarding the team like Rothman, Schar or Smith? Its always Dan who takes the hits but shouldnt these guys get atleast some of the credit of this fiasco.

https://www.redskins.com/team/front-office-roster/

I have mixed emotions about trading/releasing people this season. We know there will be a new coach, but we also know there should be a new GM. That GM and coach should be able to pick from the guys they want to keep and the ones they want to cut or trade. Trent Williams is the exception to that, since he currently provides the team zero value since he's not even reporting. They need to move him before the deadline. I'm not panicking that they haven't traded him, since we are not past the trade deadline. But if he's still here after that, then I'll get angry, etc.

Having said that, the mixed emotions come from 2 things.

The first is the fact that I don't expect a new GM. So I expect that next year we will be having this same discussion with only the head coach having changed. Yes, there will be new players and some of these guys gone, but with Allen it's going to be basically the same team with the same issues.

The second thing is that some of these guys do have talent, they just aren't being put in positions to succeed by the coaches. The coaching is so bad, guys aren't using all their talents. As an example, we can look at what Preston Smith is doing in Green Bay. I saw him make a move Thursday night I never saw him make with the Redskins. That is simply due to coaching and someone teaching him what to do and when to do it. The current coaches don't have that, but I hope the new ones will. So getting rid of some of the talent could be a mistake as the next coach could get more out of these players.

i would keep vernon davis, but I would trade Josh norman, trent williams and swap picks with the Jaguars and pick up Jalen ramsay. real solid corners are hard to find, if we get rid of norman i would like to get a decent corner and then spend all my draft picks on the Oline and maybe a receiver to give haskins as much help as possible

I am fully supportive of clearing out the entire front office and starting over at the top. Absolutely.

That said, if there's one thing that Dan Snyder has shown us, it's that grabbing The Shiny New Toy is a recipe for failure. And there is no greater example of this than drafting one first round QB after another. Now, if Arizona somehow gets away with it (and the jury is still WAY out on that) they would be the Exception, not the rule. I would not, and would never, base a long term team strategy on what they are doing right now. They will need to get real lucky, and waiting to get real lucky is not a strategy I think will work here, whether or not they get away with it there.

But we're talking about Dewayne, I've only had 3 challenging games in one college season where I threw for 5000 yards against some of the worst defenses in NCAA football. If Tua were available to us, and we didn't take the better, FAR more proven QB, we'd be stupid.

We never would, but if the skins end up with the 1st pick of the draft we could parlay that into one helluva haul from others wanting the top qb. The thought of rebuilding the o-line with at least 1 two way TE to boot sounds damn appealing to me.

Do comp picks come with releasing players or just when their contract expires?

Last edited:
Kyler Murray only started 14 games at Oklahoma.

Tom Brady appeared in 23 games at Michigan.

Not all young qbs coming into the NFL were 3-4 year starters in college 😊

Teams like Jacksonville and Carolina were forced by injury to put young, inexperienced quarterbacks on the field and Allen/Minshew have not been embarrassments.

If McVay could coach and prep Jared Goff to get on the field and be successful after all the crap he had to deal with in having his confidence crushed by the incompetent Jeff Fisher I think a quality staff could get this team ready to play AND work Dwayne Haskins into the lineup over the course of the season.

McVay doesn't get caught up fronting for cronies like a Colt McCoy or Samaje Perine that can't perform at this level.

It's amusing to think it but Case Keenum is an established NFL passer in terms of starts, yards, TDs over the past half decade compared to Colt McCoy.

Colt McCoy has few starts, few wins and a penchant for getting hurt.

Colt is just another one of Gruden's examples of his penchant for players who just don't have NFL skill level. “Overachieving” as a backup... ? Gruden is the only reason McCoy is even in the league. He gets injured on the field from a strong breeze and has a grand total of one more win as a QB in the last four years than I do.

So, moving forward to NY what are we looking at?

To me I am looking for Landon Collins and Josh Norman who have been very chatty in recent social media and interviews to show up and make an impact on the game.

Norman has been critical AGAIN about fan support and continues to shrug his shoulders when beaten in coverage as if it is 100% someone else's fault for his struggles.

For a guy that always wanted to play in Washington because of growing up as a Sean Taylor fan, Landon Collins can't seem to stop talking about Dave Gettleman and the freakin' Giants.

He may have taken the money here but his raw comments seem to indicate he wanted them to make him an offer to stay.

As a group the DBs have been subpar from the get go against the Eagles this season.

Time for them to show us something.

It would seem we have our answer as to if the team busts their ass for the sake of Jay's tenure or not.

Let the scorched earth rebuild begin!

On the positive side, the Redskins didn't allow the opponent to score more than 30 points for the first time this season.

A6BFDCED-5597-423D-97C5-3AA28D559A6D.jpeg

What this game shows us quite starkly is that all of the talk about being 0-3 because the Redskins were facing Super Bowl contenders is absolute BS.

The Giants are a bad team. They turned the ball over 4 times today and against any good team in the NFL would have lost by 17-20 points. Can you imagine what New England would have done to the Giants?

But the Redskins are a team that is at a level where a bad team that turns the ball over can still win the game and more than cover the spread against us.

So, Jay and Bruce and all of the organizational flunkies that talk about pie in the sky scenarios and being alive and competitive can shut their collective traps at 0-4 with New England on deck.

The only sane course from here on out is to embrace change.

The Redskins have younger players at a number of positions. These guys are going through the growing pains of learning how to play in the NFL during the regular season.

Since Gruden doesn't conduct a physical camp or preseason schedule, the Redskins rookies and second year players are getting quite a baptism now that the bullets are flying for real.

Guys like Montez Sweat were running around in shorts this summer and the staff was drooling over what this guy could do in the regular season without any consideration of the fact that Sweat had a LOT to learn about technique and the nuances to learning how to be a top rushman in the NFL.

At 0-4 and soon to be 0-5, we need to move forward. It doesn't mean the results are necessarily going to be different right away, but it sets us up for better things down the road.

If we are going to lose these games and give up all these points and fail to execute without 100 penalties each week then we can do it while getting our younger players experience.

The other thing we can do is stop believing in rainbows and write off any thoughts of DEPENDING on Jordan Reed, Derrius Guice or any of the other chronically injured and unavailable players.

If ANY come back to contribute, great!

But we are moving ahead with other players and should continue to look for running backs and TEs in trades, the draft, as practice squad guys culled from other teams, etc. so we don't get left in the lurch at these spots in the future AGAIN.

We have to use the balance of this season to see what we have on this roster from top to bottom.

Do we have any defensive backs that are going to step up and overcome the bad start?

Dunbar looks like he is competitive coming back. Moreau was rusty and still doesn't look 100%, but I think we need to give him the full 12 games to shows us what he can do.

For other players like Josh Norman the bells are tolling as the wind down on his career with Washington at age 31 are right before us.

If it were me, I would not let Jay and Greg Manusky survive to see the sideline against the Patriots.

But that's me. We all know that Dan through his dependence on Bruce Allen on all things and indecisiveness of the front office generally mitigates against any real changes.

And that's a shame because nothing is being learned by anyone losing games like this in the manner they are being lost.

From what we are learning WHOEVER is out there the team is going to have a top 10 or top 5 pick next April, so let's move on.

Is anyone really going to maintain that we need to give these guys another chance against Belichick?

That game against Miami is important because it may be the only one this club wins unless we get rid of these twits.

We could quite concievably do a Browns and finish the season winless. We'll go 0-5 next week (v. NE) and if we don't win the following week v. Miami, we will go 0-9 in to the bye (week 10), then we have our next chance to win v. NYJ in week 11. If we don't win that one, expect an 0-16 scoreline.

It's really hard to go 0-16.

The Lions managed to do it but even they had a number of games they could have won in the fourth quarter.

The Redskins have really not come within sniffing distance of a win in 4 games and THAT is really the most concerning part.

This team looks like a Division III team playing the SEC.

If it were me, I would not let Jay and Greg Manusky survive to see the sideline against the Patriots.

Is anyone really going to maintain that we need to give these guys another chance against Belichick?

Initially, my reaction is to agree. But then I think whoever is coaching next week is guaranteed a loss, so why pin that on a new guy who has no chance. Let Jay and Greg take that one, and let the next guy at least have a chance to win their first game and win over the locker room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.