• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

But Gruden hasn't proven to me he can be counted on to make the smart move.

Understatement of the century. Gruden is the dumbest coach in the league with zero composure in pressure situations. He can't get the plays in on time half the damn time.

[John Keim
ESPN Staff Writer
Redskins coach Jay Gruden said in explaining the Adrian Peterson decision that they'll probably run on 60 percent of the first downs and that Derrius Guice can handle those. Then Gruden added: "If we have a game where we think we can run the ball 55 times in I-formation then sure I'll get him up." Gruden said Peterson's status would be determined week to week, but the desire to bolster special teams was key to keeping Peterson inactive.]

Please feel free to correct me if im wrong, but did this dumbass just announce their offensive intentions to the league?

Guice is coming back from an injury he was only cleared for less than 2 weeks ago.

If he goes down in the first quarter against the Eagles is Gruden really going to count on 190 pound Chris Thompson to carry the ball?

Smallwood has been here less than a week.

Seems to me the smart play is to have Peterson and Smallwood active and to have gone with 2 tight ends against the Eagles.

But Gruden hasn't proven to me he can be counted on to make the smart move.

The other point of contention here is Gruden's insistence he can only have 3 running backs active.

Where is that set in stone?

Most teams have 4 active
For just the injury contingency mentioned above.

You supposedly have backup OL that play multiple positions.

So maybe you go with 2 there instead of 3.

But in any case you don't just assume Guice is going to be ‘fine' health wise and in re productivity in his first NFL start.

There is a lot to agree with in this post. But what I can't understand is why you have a guy who just got here to be active over a guy who was your offensive MVP last year. It just doesn't make any sense. Did Smallwood even see the field today? So why have him active? Even if he did, he didn't contribute so why deactivate Peterson? It just doesn't make sense.

But I will say one thing that the announcers pointed out. With all the drama in Oakland this past week, it's good to see that Peterson handled things like a pro. I don't think anyone would expect anything different, but it's still refreshing to see.

[John Keim
ESPN Staff Writer
Redskins coach Jay Gruden said in explaining the Adrian Peterson decision that they'll probably run on 60 percent of the first downs and that Derrius Guice can handle those. Then Gruden added: "If we have a game where we think we can run the ball 55 times in I-formation then sure I'll get him up." Gruden said Peterson's status would be determined week to week, but the desire to bolster special teams was key to keeping Peterson inactive.]

Please feel free to correct me if im wrong, but did this dumbass just announce their offensive intentions to the league?

It sounds like he's saying that his hall of fame RB that was the best player he had last year won't see the field this year if he has anything to say about it.

Understatement of the century. Gruden is the dumbest coach in the league with zero composure in pressure situations. He can't get the plays in on time half the damn time.

It sounds like he's saying that his hall of fame RB that was the best player he had last year won't see the field this year if he has anything to say about it.

Yep, and opposing teams can seriously game plan that most i-formations and 1st downs will be a run.

I wanted so bad to give Jay the benefit of the doubt that Oconnel would be calling plays. My hope now is that he was brought in to cushion jay`s imminent deoarture this season.

My question then is why did Gruden cut Robert Davis who DOES play special teams and looks as if he could have been an asset there in 2019?

God knows we have lacked energy and productivity there for most if not all of Gruden's tenure.

Plus Gruden did not address who runs the ball if Guice twists an ankle with the only other everydown back inactive going forward.

Thompson is not a replacement for Guice. He's strictly a change of pace back due to his size and injury history.

Again, keep 4 backs active and go short at TE where you can get by with 2 active if need be to finish out one game.

Redskins need to watch Gruden.

He obviously has some frustrations built up over the team's decision to move on from some of his former favorites like Perine and Doctson.

His decision to keep McCoy active when he isn't physically capable of playing is pig-headed.

The Redskins should have put him on IR and Gruden could have brought him back during the season if he was ready to play.

Instead, the Redskins now have to maneuver around injuries by releasing potentially productive players to keep to 53 if PS moves must be made.

The move for Holtz makes no sense to me.

Why release Davis if the projection is Reed will be back in Week 2?

The Redskins can't go with 2 tight ends for one game???

This to me is close to roster construction malpractice and we haven't even fired the first shot of the season yet.

If it were me I am not going to hold myself hostage to the health of McCoy and Reed.

If they can't play by Week 4 they need to go on IR or be released.

I've long preached patience with Gruden, but these are my feelings as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over/Under on the ratio of Cowboys to Redskins fans at Fed Ex next weekend?

70/30?

80/20?

After that shitshow today? 90/10

The fans all know the Gruden script at this point.

After that shitshow today? 90/10

The fans all know the Gruden script at this point.

[Seth Walder
ESPN Analytics
The Redskins passed on 33 of the 36 (92%) of the snaps that Chris Thompson was on the field, per NFL Next Gen Stats. They passed on 12 of the 22 plays (55%) he was off it.]

After umpteen years in the nfl Jay still has HS football level tells with personnel and formations.

Extremely frustrated today especially after we were up 17-0. Many of us in chat weren't sure we could keep the lead (I mean was anyone?), but we had hope.

Afterwards, it got me thinking...how often have we blown a lead like that? It feels like it has happened before because seriously we've never felt comfortable with a lead. So, I decided to go back through the all of Gruden's games to see where has there been a 17 point lead by either team and then the final result.

In Gruden's tenure, there have been 35 games where someone has had a 17 point lead. In those, we are 15-20. For the most part, whomever had the 17 point lead won except in two cases.

2015 season, we were down to Tampa Bay 0-17 at the 11:34 mark in the 2nd and came back to win 31-30.
2019 season, we were up 17-0 to the Eagles at the 10:49 mark in the 2nd and lost 27-32.

I then decided to look at of those 35 times and see how many times did that 17 point lead happen in the first half. My thinking being that's certainly more than enough time to lose the lead or comeback.

Situation#sOpponent > .500 for seasonOpponent <= .500 for season
Skins won after holding 17 point lead in first half716
Skins win after being behind 17 points in first half11
Skins lose after being behind 17 points in first half752
Skins lose after holding 17 point lead in first half1??

<tbody>
</tbody>

FYI...second half leads of 17 always hold true to form. Skins being 7-12 when it happens in the 2nd half. 6 of those occurred in the 3rd quarter.

So, I was somewhat surprised to see this if the first time we lost when up by 17. I don't know if that makes me feel worse or not as bad. I actually expected it to have happened more than once. This was the earliest in the game we've ever had a 17 point lead.

If you are interested in seeing the games, I've got a spreadsheet here. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IIBj61ksfa3LRGX4NyOWpahIp5LDjvQ2mvg5Z_6lFeQ/edit?usp=sharing

[Seth Walder
ESPN Analytics
The Redskins passed on 33 of the 36 (92%) of the snaps that Chris Thompson was on the field, per NFL Next Gen Stats. They passed on 12 of the 22 plays (55%) he was off it.]

After umpteen years in the nfl Jay still has HS football level tells with personnel and formations.

I wonder.....do we have anyone on staff that analyzes our plays to 'gameplan against us' and share that with the team? Do NFL teams typically do that?

DJax summed it up perfectly postgame. There is a losers mentality across the organization. Everyone (players, coaches, fans) expects the bottom to fall out. It's only a matter of when.

I'm surprised Moses has the time to talk between all of his penalties.

Jackson is right. Of course, he also has failings of his own in chasing the green in going to Washington and Tampa rather than testing himself and his own work ethic in New England, KC, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, etc. to win something.

I guess at 32 he has finally grown up.

So now the other shoe drops.

Gruden's attempt to release Peterson now looks not only petty but irresponsible given Guice's injury history.

If there was any doubt about his mismanagement it's gone now 😤

I just keep telling myself 15 more games before we jettison this turkey.

Last edited:
Wow, so the HC appears to be in a little hot water, and Guice is quickly heading toward the "bust" category.

And it's only week 1.

Geez.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.