• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Cool! We all get to pick/quote which media talking heads we like/believe. I don't begrudge anyone that liberty.

Just the same...what has the Snyder owned franchise accomplished since his coronation as owner? Not a {fill in the blank} thing. No sustained excellence. And that was/is the punchline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well - that is a random redskins thought - since no one was talking about organizational or football success. Value of the Redskins franchise has risen every year of Snyder's ownership. The comments by Czaban were idiotic.

d934441a6cf4d88f6f199696d961acf1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well - that is a random redskins thought - since no one was talking about organizational or football success. Value of the Redskins franchise has risen every year of Snyder's ownership. The comments by Czaban were idiotic.

Measured by what metric and caused by what? TV revenues? The overall success of the NFL? The average value of NFL franchises overall has zoomed over the last two decades. Constant or current dollars? Analysis please.

And, oh btw, Snyder inheritted an established franchise with a history of championship football. He didn't build a dang thing from the ground up. It was a marketing success and high-valued franchise long before he arrived on the scene.

Measured by what metric and caused by what? TV revenues? The overall success of the NFL? The average value of NFL franchises has zoomed over the last two decades. Analysis please.

And, oh btw, Snyder inheritted an established franchise with a history of championship football. He didn't build a dang thing from the ground up. It was a marketing success and high-valued franchise long before he arrived on the scene.

By what metric??? What metric do you think business acumen gets measured by? It's not altruism and how many friends you have :) And it's not how many games you won either at least in its most distilled down form (although one can hypothesize that might eventually impact profits and financial growth).

I'm not engaging. He's presided over a franchise that not only was hugely valued when he bought it but during his tenure increased its profits exponentially becoming the NFLs most valuable one (despite a lack of on the field success). You can't ignore facts because you find them inconvenient or irritating - like Czaban does.

Last edited:
The bulk of NFL franchides are not publicly traded. Again, interesting paper.

A rising tide lifts all ships - regardless of whose hand is on the tiller. The starting point influences the end point.

I can ask for better analysis.

But, life goes on.

We'll never know, will we Niedermeyer?

If we're talking straight-up making money as the sole determinant of worthiness as an owner, when Snyder bought the team it was the most valuable franchise in the NFL. This year it's seventh.

And how many franchises ahead of us got a new stadium during that time?

JKC's dump of a stadium pulls the value down.

And how many franchises ahead of us got a new stadium during that time?

JKC's dump of a stadium pulls the value down.

So Snyder buys a team with a pristine new stadium and the value of the team is really high ... until the stadium isn't new anymore, and then the relative value goes down.

Not sure this supports the case that he's a brilliant businessman ... That dump of a stadium is Snyder's responsibility. If it's a dump that's on him.

For the record, amongst teams with older stadiums, the Redskins are third.

Last edited:
Come on Henry. Franchise didn't lose value. Others gained it with new stadiums.

That Snyder has maintained, and increased the value, while losing on the field, can't be ignored.
Unless one chooses to.

I started this convo pushing back on a Steve Czaban rant claiming that Snyder was not only a terrible NFL owner, but that he's a ‘terrible businessman'. That's the bar, not that he's Henry Ford or Jeff Bezos :)

The franchise has grown in value every single year (and substantially grown) and that has occurred during one of the worst stretches of on-the-field mediocrity and failure ever. Hate him or not, he built a thriving communications company from nothing, acquired enough wealth to become an NFL owner (prevailing over other bidders), and the business has thrived during his ownership period.

If that's ‘terrible' ... I guess I simply don't understand the word.

I started this convo pushing back on a Steve Czaban rant claiming that Snyder was not only a terrible NFL owner, but that he's a ‘terrible businessman'. That's the bar, not that he's Henry Ford or Jeff Bezos :)

The franchise has grown in value every single year (and substantially grown) and that has occurred during one of the worst stretches of on-the-field mediocrity and failure ever. Hate him or not, he built a thriving communications company from nothing, acquired enough wealth to become an NFL owner (prevailing over other bidders), and the business has thrived during his ownership period.

If that's ‘terrible' ... I guess I simply don't understand the word.

Fair enough. Czaban rants are not always rational.

If the point here is that Snyder has managed to not yet destroy his organization's value while providing a terrible product and terrible service, well, I guess I agree. I feel much better about him being our owner now. :)

Just curious. I honestly don't know this, but has any NFL franchise lost value over the past 20 years?

Likely not. You know - because it's run by a bunch of successful businessmen :)

Who said anyone should feel better about Snyder as an owner?

You know what? Nevermind.

This is not a hill worth dying on. :)

Maybe you should listen to the Czaban show referenced. We're all smart enough to understand that a ‘best in class' business provides great customer service, listens to its customers, provides a great product and experience. Czaban's argument was that because Snyder bought radio stations and theme parks and had other deals that didn't work out, that he is a ‘bad businessman'. He even went so far as to imply Snyder was a failure at business prior to Redskins ownership, and that he somehow tricked the NFL into making him an owner..

I felt it sounded stupid and agenda-driven. I have nothing against Steve Czaban. I mostly enjoy listening to him (which is why I was listening to him). But sometimes, he makes stupid, poorly reasoned statements (like suggesting the only reason Joe Gibbs came back for a 2nd stint was because he ‘was in it for the money'.

Arguing Snyder is a failed/inept ‘businessman' is stupid imho. No one has to agree.

Maybe Czabes next assertion will be that Snyder's a shitty husband and father?

Isn't being a bad owner enough?

Maybe you should listen to the Czaban show referenced. We're all smart enough to understand that a ‘best in class' business provides great customer service, listens to its customers, provides a great product and experience. Czaban's argument was that because Snyder bought radio stations and theme parks and had other deals that didn't work out, that he is a ‘bad businessman'. He even went so far as to imply Snyder was a failure at business prior to Redskins ownership, and that he somehow tricked the NFL into making him an owner..

I felt it sounded stupid and agenda-driven. I have nothing against Steve Czaban. I mostly enjoy listening to him (which is why I was listening to him). But sometimes, he makes stupid, poorly reasoned statements (like suggesting the only reason Joe Gibbs came back for a 2nd stint was because he ‘was in it for the money'.

Arguing Snyder is a failed/inept ‘businessman' is stupid imho. No one has to agree.

Maybe Czabes next assertion will be that Snyder's a shitty husband and father?

Isn't being a bad owner enough?

That's fine. I don't know enough about Snyder's life outside the Redskins, and at this point I don't care. I also don't really give a crap about Steve Czaban.

The only point here I'm taking issue with is the argument that, since the Redskins increased in value during Snyder's ownership, that somehow proves he's a good businessman. I don't think that's proof of anything.

My house has gone up in value every year I've owned it. That's not proof that I'm some shrewd real estate mogul. It just means values of houses generally go up.

Same with NFL teams. In my opinion that's not a reflection on Dan Snyder. And now I really am done.

Czaban is a nut.

While he may be critical of the Redskins for being mediocre and sometimes less than that, the fact remains I have listened to enough of his 'schtick' over the years to see that he is critical of the Caps when they won the Cup and the Nationals, who have consistently made the postseason and been a winning team for years.

The fact remains that Czaban has never worked in business. He's like a politician that pounds the gavel about how to transform the economy and then it comes out that he has never worked off the public dole, earning his living from taxpayers.

It's easy to lob hand grenades from afar, especially as his last private business was a lemonade stand at age 9.

Czaban is the guy that wanted to discuss GOLF the week the Capitals were in the Stanley Cup finals.

In the end, Czaban can criticize a lack of winning but then when teams do win he seems almost upset that he can't call Washington 'loser town' anymore.

Again, he wouldn't last 5 minutes in Boston or NY with his lack of knowledge of the local teams.

I'll confess that sometimes it's the snarky, smug, ‘I have all the answers' tone of a lot of the negative press given by Redskins coverage folks (not just by Czaban who I find a likeable guy in general) that sets me off. There are some balanced fair guys (I'd put Keim, JP Finley, Lake Lewis and others in this category) who do a great job and are hardly overly positive. But other media ‘experts' like a Grant Paulsen, Mike Wise, LaCanfora, ‘The Junkies', etc... seize on every opportunity to demonize and take obvious joy in preaching the most negative takes possible. It gets old.

The ridiculously one-sided pass these folks have given Trent Williams while throwing the entire medical staff and team physician staff under the bus (even calling for mass firings) is just the most recent example.

It results in what amounts to total conjecture being widely embraced as ‘fact' by a ton of sports fans.

I think sports media needs to be held to a higher standard but I'm cynical enough to know it will never happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.