• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

RIP Mike Thomas :(

Last edited:
Missed this from the highlights but pretty smooth pitch and catch

I remember Mike Thomas being a celeb here in 1975 when a rookie not only made the team but was allowed to start under Allen.

He ran for over 900 yards that season and had an 1,100 yard campaign for us as well.

That was back when defenses were playing the run and 1,000 yards still meant something.

Early game thoughts...

Haskins shows lovely pocket presence, moves well and has some pretty throws. Currently being let down a little by the receivers he's currently working with. (I really want to see him with the 1st strings!)
Of the RB's, Perine is showing he's the best option, separating himself from Marshall and Reynolds. (Fumbles!)
Davis makes the team surely!
Sims may have 'dropped' his shot.
Parham showed me something.
Nothing to really note on D except Moreland makes the 53 easily!

Haskins had a horrible first series or two. Didn't set his feet, inaccurate throws. But has settled down and played great since. Not getting a lot of help in the 2nd quarter from his receivers as you mentioned. Cam Sims trying hard to get cut. He won't be, but he picked a bad time to show the inconsistency that is concerning about him. Perine looks very strong for the 2nd game in a row. Reynolds hasn't been able to do a thing against a bunch of scrubs. And Marshall never impresses me. The other Sims is having a strong night but no way he makes the squad (perhaps PS). We have some intriguing TEs but Sprinkle has had a couple bonehead plays tonight. Parham is something to watch but he's mostly been invisible. Holtz is a beast and I hope we keep him.

Yeah that first series for Haskins was shaky, but since then he'd been really on it. He's had a few bad passes, but then every QB does. But on the whole he's looked really good. Penalties and drops are the main culprits for killing these drives.

I agree on Holtz. :)

I hadn't even noticed Sprinkle playing!

On a side note: I can't believe I'm still up at 2am watching a meaningless preseason game when I have an early work meeting tomorrow (today!). But I just wanted to watch Haskins and see what he has.
He makes some pretty throws, fast and powerful an can seemingly make them all! Just need to polish off the rough edges and I am optimistic we might have something special here.

Yeah that first series for Haskins was shaky, but since then he'd been really on it. He's had a few bad passes, but then every QB does. But on the whole he's looked really good. Penalties and drops are the main culprits for killing these drives.

I agree on Holtz. :)

I hadn't even noticed Sprinkle playing!

On a side note: I can't believe I'm still up at 2am watching a meaningless preseason game when I have an early work meeting tomorrow (today!). But I just wanted to watch Haskins and see what he has.
He makes some pretty throws, fast and powerful an can seemingly make them all! Just need to polish off the rough edges and I am optimistic we might have something special here.

You're the man - that's why!

So - I know the deep ball to Cam Sims was overthrown and had no chance at being caught - but good lord - did you see that thing fly out of his hand like a rocket? I haven't seen a Redskins QB throw a ball downfield like that in a long time. I gasped.

McKinzy was concussed in the first half. That's a big deal as he, I believe, was slated to be the 4th linebacker for the opener. If he has a major concussion, one they think will keep him out of the lineup in Week 1, that could force an emergency roster move and we could be forced to let someone go we would like to have kept - like a young WR.

I hope it's just minor and they think he'll be okay for week 1.

To be fair I think a lot of QB's suffer accuracy issues under pressure, and I keep having to remind myself that the kid has only played one season of College ball. In that context I think his composure is remarkable and sometimes think he doesn't know his own strength :)

I believe the more exposure he gets to the NFL game and the more comfortable he gets dealing with the speed and pressure, the better he'll become. The improvements from that Cleveland game to this one has been quite pronounced. I'm firmly in the camp that just wants to be patient with him, let him sit this year if need be... but he's not as far away as I thought after that Cleveland game. Considering the performance he put up last night with mostly scrubs (and a totally ineffectual run game!) I'm keen to see what he could do with the starters. Keenum's leash is much shorter this morning I feel.

The other thing I like is the other stuff he brings. He gives me the FEELING that we're going to win whenever he's under center. Now maybe that's just the illusion of hope, but I felt like if he'd have played all game we'd have broken the Ravens streak last night. Been a while since I've felt that way about a QB. Even the RGIII first year I had HOPED we'd win, but never truly felt like we were GOING TO win. My thoughts back then were more dominated by the prayers that he made it through the game. Haskins just gives me a different vibe... I can't explain it. LOL

Plus, I really like the kids attitude. I was listening this morning to the interview he did with JP Finlay (it was a joint interview with S.Sims too) and he just comes across as a humble hard worker. When asked how close he was to being game ready even he said that he still had work to do. No bullshit, just told it straight. I liked the way he interacted with Sims too.

He made some perfect throws under major pressure last night. When he's inaccurate, it's more often because he doesn't have his feet fully set, not due to ‘pressure'. That's what I'm seeing. He looks beyond poised in the pocket to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And what qb do you know maintains high accuracy when under intense pressure.

Brady seemed affected greatly by the Giants uber pass rush in 2007 and 2011 Super Bowls.

Manning seemed affected in 2014 Super Bowl vs Seattle.

Good quarterbacks throw interceptions, take sacks, and miss receivers at times.

People are looking at Haskins and judging him by Joe Montana standards circa 1986 when he was an experienced passer in his prime 😆

Haskins projects to me to be more like Ben Roethlisberger.

But that's okay, he won 2 Super Bowls and took the Steelers to a third.

I will take that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.