• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

And where the hell is everyone? I know it's pre-season, but Jesus...this place is dead.

I won't get to watch the game until tomorrow. I can't get it here, so I wait for the replay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without having seen the game, why are the Redskins kicking so may field goals? It's the preseason. Does the FG team really need that much work? Are these all 4th and long? I'm just thinking there has to have been a situation or two where you go for it to get more plays in.

Kinda what I expected judging by the box score. Though going 2-11 on 3rd down is abysmal

Only 2 stories from this one. First, Guice looked great and got extensive time. And Jordan Reed took one of the most vicious helmet to helmet hits I've ever seen and is in the concussion protocol. It's quite possible that will be it for him and I don't think that's a dramatic take.

Jordan Reed took one of the most vicious helmet to helmet hits I've ever seen and is in the concussion protocol. It's quite possible that will be it for him and I don't think that's a dramatic take.

And no sane person would blame him.

I saw far too many clowns on social media calling him soft, fragile, etc. I'd pay to see any of them take that hit.

And no sane person would blame him.

I saw far too many clowns on social media calling him soft, fragile, etc. I'd pay to see any of them take that hit.

Yep. The pathetic response to what was an intentional brutal hit was a personal foul 15 yard penalty. No ejection. No neurologist check on Reed. Just let him keep playing, despite it being obvious to anyone - ANYONE - who saw the hit and his head bouncing around like he was in a high speed auto collision, that he'd suffered a concussion. That was absolutely disgraceful. The NFL is literally going to have a player like Reed die on the field. It's coming.

I don't know what the ramifications for a player who makes a hit like that should be - but it should be harsh. Criminal charges? If the player is unable to play the rest of the season, offending team surrenders their first rounder to the opponent? Player banned for life immediately? It's going to take that level of response to get player's and coaches attention. What they are doing isn't working. They aren't even capable of responding appropriately AFTER it's happened.

First offense- miss as much time (games and practice as the injured party) with no pay.

Subsequent offenses- sit for a year with no pay.

First offense- miss as much time (games and practice as the injured party) with no pay.

Subsequent offenses- sit for a year with no pay.

That would be a start. But the NFL is afraid to get really tough, because they want those big hits in the game and the players who deliver them out there. I've had friends who fell off a porch or slipped and fell and hit their head with less violence than Reed experienced tonight. They walked around for a few days, then dropped dead from a subdural hematoma or other brain bleed. It's going to happen.

If I'm not mistaken, Reed was back on the field two plays after he got hit. The officials were clearly out to lunch with their handling of the hit, but I have to believe the Redskins were off their rockers as well by letting him even return to the field. Piss poor handling of the situation all around.

They may not have seen the hit immediately like we did on TV - I don't know. But the officials were right there - literally yards away. There's no excuse for being willing to take 10 minutes to make sure you get a sideline catch call correct, but not managing a player safety situation like that obviously was more appropriately. It really upsets me - and not just because we may have just lost a great TE for the season. You shouldn't risk brain damage routinely in order to make a living in a professional sport. It's outrageous.

Posted this on Twitter, but they really need to dispense with the term 'concussion'. Players who are 'concussed' have a traumatic brain injury. I think if we called the injury what it really is, it might get the care and attention it deserves. Jordan Reed has had at least 6 Traumatic Brain Injuries folks. Think about that for a few minutes.

They may not have seen the hit immediately like we did on TV - I don't know. But the officials were right there - literally yards away. There's no excuse for being willing to take 10 minutes to make sure you get a sideline catch call correct, but not managing a player safety situation like that obviously was more appropriately. It really upsets me - and not just because we may have just lost a great TE for the season. You shouldn't risk brain damage routinely in order to make a living in a professional sport. It's outrageous.

I agree. Gruden seemed to elude to such in his post game comments as well. It sounded like since they were awarded the 15 yard penalty, that they were accepting of the manner in which it was handled at the time. I'm sure when they look back at the tape though, they will be outraged as a coaching staff.

All in all, it is very real to think that the Redskins will likely play the 2019 season without their top 2 offensive players in Trent Williams and Jordan Reed. For a team that is so offensively challenged to begin with, the mountain to success just got a heck of a lot steeper. One can argue that the Redskins should have saw this coming and been more proactive in the draft regarding the TE position.

At this point, part of me wants to feel very bad for the cards that Gruden constantly gets dealt here in regards to injuries. The other part of me just worries and wants to cry because a potentially very promising defense will end up having its share of bad weeks this season due to the sheer exhaustion of being on the field for three quarters of the game on Sundays.

Only 2 stories from this one. First, Guice looked great and got extensive time. And Jordan Reed took one of the most vicious helmet to helmet hits I've ever seen and is in the concussion protocol. It's quite possible that will be it for him and I don't think that's a dramatic take.

Apparently he's had 3 confirmed ones before, probably a few hidden as well. That's gotta be a safety limit per league right?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ng-big-hit-from-falcons-keanu-neal/ar-AAGcuCh

Overall, being preseason, things went fairly well. Didn't really expect to see a lot. Have to wait for the regular season for that. But as preseason goes, it wasn't that bad.

Except for the hit on Reed. Guy needs to be suspended. Hope Reed is okay. Like Boone, I told the wife that it could be the end of his career as soon as it happened. Even though he popped right up, it's a macho thing to act like you're not hurt.

Yeah, that hit on Reed... the words 'Concussion Protocol' went through your head the moment you saw it. Shocking hit.

But then he bounced up and carried on, and I did consider for a moment he'd dodged a bullet. But am I right in saying I think he tried playing on, but started to feel headachey? I thought I'd heard someone report that...

Thoughts on the game other than Reed...

Keenum… competent but still doesn't thrill me. C'est la vie.

Haskins... still not the complete package but still going in the right direction.

Guice… For his first game in a year, with a challenged O Line, he looks great. I'm getting seriously excited about an AP/Guice 1-2 punch with a CT uppercut! :D

I really like our projected starting D. Stand out's this week for me was Collins and Casanova McKinsy/Mckinsy Casanova. I felt a little odd though, because I know this is pre-season, but the Falcons were a team that just gutted us 38-14 last year in the regular season in one of our worst defensive performances of the season. It was the game where we/I started to wonder whether our D was smoke and mirrors last year before the collapse. (The Colts game I considered an early one off, then the Saints were just a beast so I gave them a pass on that game to a degree) and we handled them well last night. I don't know if I was expecting more form them in the 3rd pre-season game, or if our D just really played well. It looked like the latter, but just felt a little weird...

Special Teams looked solid this week, which is a VAST improvement on last week.

Harmon looked good, as did Sprinkle I thought.

Going to an interesting cut down to 53. :D

Gruden said he ‘started having symptoms a little later'. Didn't specify why kind of symptoms but yeah that's correct so implementing the ‘concussion protocol' was not just precautionary.

Kick coverage looked good but for the umpteenth time this preseason, the FG snaps were shaky. Hopkins nearly missed a chip shot FG because of it.

Okay, Guice related observation...

Guice certainly didn't look like he was a rookie out there. Maybe a little rusty being as it was his first game back, but he looked like an immediate contributor.

So...

We all know how there is a level of separation between the fans that think Haskins should take his lumps and start straightaway, learning from experience, and the other side who think he needs to sit a while (maybe the year).
Do you think in Guice's performance that we saw a benefit of the fact that he could sit out a year and study up, quiz AP, see how it's done, get to know the team, the schemes and plays etc? Do we think like he would have been like this out of the box last year? Or would he have achieved the same level through the year last year?

I know it's a different position, but I just wondered if there is any mileage in the argument that Guice actually weirdly benefitted from sitting out a year?

Gruden said he ‘started having symptoms a little later'. Didn't specify why kind of symptoms but yeah that's correct so implementing the ‘concussion protocol' was not just precautionary.

Yeah it might have been JP Finlay and the NBC crew I heard it on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.