• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

And that's the idea that ONLY our Front Office is involved in football operations. There's not a Team President or GM in the league, or an NFL Owner anywhere, that is entirely separated from football-related decisions. They all play a part to some degree - it's just a matter of how big or small a part they play, and how publicly or quietly they do so. Sometimes it sounds like the Redskins are the only team in the league that has anyone other than the Head Coach is making decisions.

BTW, Gruden's decisions warrant having extra input from everyone else in the room. But if he allows anyone to control who he starts, it would just show how weak of a leader he really is. It's Gruden's job to make the choice, and then sell it to higher ups. Every team in the league discusses their starting lineup. Coaches who haven't won anything have a harder time convincing management that they know what the hell they're doing. Gruden doesn't inspire confidence.

And, I give the drunk more credit for shelving Griffin than Gruden.

I do not believe for a second that every team in the NFL discusses their starting lineup like a democracy as is suggested here.

Bill Belichek gets what he wants, Andy Reid gets what he wants in terms of who goes out on the field to start any game, Sean Payton...you can believe Sean McVay will not have their owner over his shoulder with the success he brought that team. They and a handful of others, will start whomever they want because they're successful.

yes, with the exception of Belichek who can write his own ticket in New England, there is going to be discussion with the front office, and some control freaks in ownership, and management will want to push who they want, i.e., Jerry Jones. This is not a case of being unique in that respect...just that Snyder is one of those who wants and does what he wants.

He wants to make money, so that will be the focus...whatever makes the franchise more, and winning will take a backseat to the bottom line.

Edit: And John, you're right, I might just say I told you so, but I am not convinced Haskins is a bust...just that I don't see him being a super star. I see him being much like my boy from FSU, James Winston, just not the head case Winston is.

The difference between the Haskins and Griffin situation in my estimation is that Haskins is a pocket passer. He has a better chance to succeed because he has better presence in the pocket. Griffin has absolutely no pocket awareness.

Last edited:
He wants to make money, so that will be the focus...whatever makes the franchise more, and winning will take a backseat to the bottom line.
Ah, but the thing is, winning, is what will make the franchise earn the most. Always.
So winning, takes a back seat to nothing.

Now, decisions made have not produced the winning, yet. But when you say money is his main/only objective, then winning is, by definition, the bottom line.

Ah, but the thing is, winning, is what will make the franchise earn the most. Always.
So winning, takes a back seat to nothing.

Now, decisions made have not produced the winning, yet. But when you say money is his main/only objective, then winning is, by definition, the bottom line.

That's the part I simply do not understand about Snyder. If we win more, he could market us much better. I'm just convinced he does not know how to run the team...needs to micromanage things. It looked like he might change with Shanahan, but we all know that turned into a pissing match that Snyder won because he forced RG3 onto him. You think Mike Shanahan was dumb enough to give away three 1st's and a second for him?

Once it again it was Snyder forcing the idea of a dominant offense on the coaches, because offense sells tickets.

After 20 years of "yet"...you can be the flowery optimist Boone wants to be. Me? Well, I will call it like I see it...as long as Snyder owns this team, we will never win another Super Bowl. That means, you and I will never see it again.

So why am I still here? Well, how could I possibly survive without your amazing charisma!?!??!

And John, you're right, I might just say I told you so

I have no problem with you saying 'I told you so' - so long as you're equally prepared to say 'I was wrong'.

The former is always more forthcoming in my experience :)

I have no problem with you saying 'I told you so' - so long as you're equally prepared to say 'I was wrong'.

The former is always more forthcoming in my experience :)

I believe I have willingly admitted I was wrong, when I was wrong. In fact, at the end of the season after we'd beaten Dallas, I was willing to admit I just might be wrong about Griffin. Then I saw the plea to Trent Williams video the night he got injured again against Seattle, when Griffin was begging TW not to tell the coaches how hurt he was. It solidified my concerns with drafting him in the first place.

I just happen to be correct so often, you cannot remember when I'm wrong.

Okay, let's get this season started already. I can't take much more.

Hypertension and diabetes (both of which African Americans are at higher risk for) are the most common causes. Not lifestyle choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hypertension and diabetes (both of which African Americans are at higher risk for) are the most common causes. Not lifestyle choices.

Kind of what I was thinking and a lot of it hereditary. There was a dude I knew in his mid/late 20's who was the delivery guy for Iron Mountain who did my weekly pickups about ten years ago. This dude was the picture of health and fitness. Didn't smoke, didn't drink and was in a flag football league. Suddenly one day he's bringing trainees around on his route. I didn't ask why, figured they were new and he was teaching the ropes, but I noticed he was looking a little gray. Didn't think anything of it. One night he just calls me out of the blue saying Iron Mountain is planting him at a desk and taking him off the road.

Kidney failure in his 20's and on weekly dialysis. Sucks. I'm 46 and have done zippy to take care of myself, but don't drink or smoke. Sometimes Mother Nature is a bitch.

Diabetes took my old man, stuff is no joke

Not sure what this is about but apparently employees are pulling chalks at Redskin Park like crazy

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/07/11/washington-redskins-mass-exodus-employees-dan-snyder

I'm not going to say what is in the story is wrong. We all believe that the Redskins front office is terrible so working for them is probably not fun. However, the whole article is based on a Chris Russell hot take. Russell is a guy with an axe to grind and is the master of the hot takes that are wrong way more than they are right. This is the guy who said he knew for a fact that Cavanaugh and Tomsula were so unhappy they were going to quit. Yet they are both back.

Again, we know the Redskins are probably a terrible place to work. I don't think that's news. But these national outlets running with a story based on a very unreliable source throwing his latest stuff at the wall to see what sticks, is ridiculous.

Agreed. You also have to keep in mind that they fired the marketing team in its entirety...that's probably 20 folks at a minimum. And ‘at least 40' may in fact be the marketing team and a few others. People change jobs, especially today, and it doesn't necessarily reflect a toxic work environment.

On the other hand, there are clearly issues with the org and marketing and IT as those two departments have turned over numerous times during the past 20 years. I have no idea whether that's normal for an NFL club or indicates gross dysfunction.
But what I do know is that Chris Russell doesn't know. He always has to make himself sound like a misunderstood victim in whatever he puts out there.

If you don't want to be viewed as a pot-stirring antagonistic attention hound, try not to be a pot-stirring antagonistic attention hound :)

Was Chris Russell a former employee as well? Now that I know what his angle his "columns" will not be shared anymore.

Was Chris Russell a former employee as well? Now that I know what his angle his "columns" will not be shared anymore.

Sharing is fine. I think he's probably a good guy. JP Finlay even tries to straighten him out but he's just tone deaf...

I suppose he kinda' sorta' was, in the sense that he worked for 980, but never worked in Ashburn or in any capacity of the FO. He's not right as often as he likes, but is often on WJFK for his contrarian views and is rarely accurate. As messed up as the team and FO have been for a loooooooong time, he feasts on the "it must all be true" sector of the fanbase who would believe if he said Dan Snyder was going to move the team to Toronto.

He sucks as an owner, but the stuff Russell intimates would be like lawsuit-type stuff, not "**** it, I'm out of here" kind of stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 12, Members: 0, Guests: 12)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.