• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

There is a hashtag being used- SellTheTeamDan

Yep. My first thought when I read her comment was that she couldn't even get that right. I do think all of the ire and anger being directed at Bruce Allen is beside the point. Getting rid of Allen isn't going to fix a thing, because the same incompetent that has given him almost total control would be choosing his successor. I am also probably in the minority in that I feel a lot of what's been directed at Allen is borderline violent and beyond the pale. He may suck at his job, and he may not even be a good guy, but he is a human being. People on social media clearly think they can say whatever they want, whenever they want, as evidenced by people idiotically screaming for Allen's firing in threads about JD Gibbs death. I've even worried about Bruce Allen's safety because the vitriol and hatred has gotten that bad.

Calling for Snyder to sell the team is a more productive effort. I don't have any belief it would have any more effect than the '#FireBruceAllen' nonsense will, but at least it would be directed towards the only action that would actually bring change.

With the release today of the expose on the Browns I've seen a fair amount of sentiment by Skins fans saying basically that as bad as the Redskins are, at least we are not the Browns.

I would swap our front offices, coaches, and roster with Cleveland in a heartbeat.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Redskins have hired Ray Horton as their defensive backs coach, per source. Horton last coached in 2016 as the defensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns. He also served as a defensive coordinator with Tennessee and Arizona. Horton was an... <a href="https://t.co/o9qcWMJtfl">https://t.co/o9qcWMJtfl</a></p>— John Keim (@john_keim) <a href="https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/1088553859155415040?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 24, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

From Wikipedia...

Coaching career
Horton began his coaching career in 1994 as a defensive assistant with the Washington Redskins. He was hired by Norv Turner, who knew him from Dallas where Turner was an Offensive Coordinator. Horton was the defensive backs coach for the Bengals (1997-01) and Detroit Lions (2002-03). He was the assistant defensive backs coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2004-2006 before being promoted to defensive backs coach in 2007.[9]

On February 9, 2011, Horton was named defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals.[10] In 2013, Arizona head coach Ken Whisenhunt was fired, though Horton was initially retained and considered for promotion to head coach.[11] On January 17, 2013, Horton was passed over for the promotion in favor of his former fellow assistant at Pittsburgh Bruce Arians, leading to his prompt departure from Arizona.[12]

On January 18, 2013, Horton was hired as the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.[13] On January 18, 2014, Horton agreed to become the defensive coordinator of the Tennessee Titans.[14] Browns coach Hue Jackson hired Ray Horton to be the Browns defensive coordinator going into the 2016 season. After a single season, Horton was fired by the Browns on January 7, 2017.[15]

Doesn't sound like a bad hire to me. Guy has been a DC and been considered for HC. He has to have some serious ability.

But, guys.........Sashi Brown, Hue Jackson and most of the others noted in that piece are not with the Browns any longer.

When Dorsey came in Haslem promised to give him personnel responsibility and to date I believe he has kept his word. I have read nothing to the contrary.

I think Dorsey has done a great job so far.

Last year he took Baker Mayfield and Denzel Ward with the #1 and #4 picks.

At first I criticized the picks maintaining the Browns should have taken Saquon Barkley at #1 and then taken a quarterback at #4 (whichever of the top guys dropped to that pick within the top 5).............

But Mayfield outperformed them all and Ward is a pro bowl caliber corner.

We are not going to trade for Ryan Tannehill.

(having spent the last two hours of the party passed out in my own vomit behind the garage...) WHAAAT!!! We're trading for TANNEHILL?!? WHAT the -
as I storm out spouting unintelligble curses you all realize I'm butt naked.

Again.

Last edited:
I can't see a Tannehill trade, I honestly can't see anything remotely close to bringing in a qb who would be paid intermediate money 12-15 million a year at this point. I think we're going into the season with McCoy, a veteran but not good backup behind him and a 4th or 5th round project while we deal with the Alex Smith cap mess caused by injury, however that's just me. This isn't the season for FO to get more ridiculous then usual, this is a season to eat crow and just know we're not going to be very good at all.

Brucie needs to put butts in seats.

I mean, it's not gonna happen, but it's so cute that he's trying.

Haha! At this point in our fandom, does anyone truly doubt we would do something like this?

I don't doubt we'll sign another vet, whether it's a trade or FA, and draft the worst QB available at the 23rd pick of the 1st round since we were able to secure a trade?

Haha! At this point in our fandom, does anyone truly doubt we would do something like this?

I don't doubt we'll sign another vet, whether it's a trade or FA, and draft the worst QB available at the 23rd pick of the 1st round since we were able to secure a trade?

Yes. I do doubt it. We have pretty good talent evaluators in the building, and there's zero reason to believe they'd bring in a guy like Tannehill to rely on.

As to whether we know how to find a starting QB in the draft, I have zero faith.

So the only way we can get out from under Smith's contract is if he retires before the season?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kevin OConnel is the Redskins new offensive coordinator. Skins not letting this young one get away</p>— JP Finlay (@JPFinlayNBCS) <a href="https://twitter.com/JPFinlayNBCS/status/1090370646746501120?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 29, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jim Tomsula is back with the Redskins.</p>— JP Finlay (@JPFinlayNBCS) <a href="https://twitter.com/JPFinlayNBCS/status/1090370725863739394?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 29, 2019</a></blockquote>

So the only way we can get out from under Smith's contract is if he retires before the season?

If he retires, the cap hit (the figure I've heard) is $54M. Unless he restructures, the Skins will have him on the roster (IR) through 2020.

If he retires, the cap hit (the figure I've heard) is $54M. Unless he restructures, the Skins will have him on the roster (IR) through 2020.

Dang it, i was thinking it'd be said and done with. The guy seriously doesn't need to risk his health

Reinforces in my mind the notion that the Skins braintrust continues to believe the Skns have a playoff caliber team which only bad luck keeps interfering with.

I diasgree. But....well...this is the Skins/Brudan!

Eh, at this point there are much bigger things to worry about than these clowns.

WRR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 11, Members: 0, Guests: 11)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.